Maguire | he stays!

cyril C

What good is a loan to us?
None, unless it comes with an obligation to buy. I won't care whether it is 40m or 20m, but loan without buy is counter-productive, because we can't find a replacement CB in short notice.

But if someone want Jones, then go ahead, we can subsidize part of his wage as well.

poleglass red

Personally I'd have loaned him out. I do notice though, in recent games ETH has brought on Maguire late in games, I'm assuming he feels his aerial presence is needed, when teams chasing games against us, go a bit more direct. I stilly fully expect him to be gone in the summer, and I think a good loan spell for him could have upped his value.

crossy1686

career ending
Ten Hag has established from the start that he won't play Maguire on the left under any circumstances, his competition is Varane and Lindelof.
I know, but imagine that was your preferred position and the manager still won't play you there even when Martinez is out and it's Haaland. Instead he prefers a LB to play CB and a lad who just got off the plane from Holland to play LB.

The question is, does Maguire accept that he's 3rd choice behind Varane and Lindelöf at RCB? Hardly a captains position.

Idxomer

I know, but imagine that was your preferred position and the manager still won't play you there even when Martinez is out and it's Haaland. Instead he prefers a LB to play CB and a lad who just got off the plane from Holland to play LB.

The question is, does Maguire accept that he's 3rd choice behind Varane and Lindelöf at RCB? Hardly a captains position.
Yeah agreed, it was a red flag from the start that Ten Hag didn't rate him in his preferred position.

lex talionis

If any team wants to buy one of your players, the first thing you do (more so the fans than the manager) is look at their team, and identify a player you would want in exchange. West Ham want Maguire, and amongst their team, Rice is arguably the most interesting player, hence why people are automatically saying, if you want Maguire, give us Rice. In reality, it is very rare for swap deals to actually work, so usually it is usually best just to focus on a one way deal, and as a standalone, are we happy for Maguire to go to West Ham? On loan I think is a stupid idea. For a decent fee, this may be our last opportunity to get good money for him, on the back of his strong showing at the WC, as he will lose value sitting on the bench for the next 6 months. However, can we afford to lose squad depth if we have a genuine shot at winning the PL this year? Bringing in another player instead is always a risk, particularly mid-season, and it is good that we are having the opportunity to try out Shaw at CB. I think we will see where we are at the end of the window points wise and with injuries before making a decision.
Clearly there's no discussion to be had about a loan deal for Maguire right now, but you're right to note that if West Ham want to talk about Maguire, we should talk about Rice. In the summer, that is.

Even if West Ham avoid relegation, it's time for Rice to move on. West Ham are not going to be a top six contender any time soon. West Ham will need to rebuild from the back and they can have Maguire and we can have Rice. Whether Maguire will agree to moving to a club like West Ham is hard to say, but it may be the best option he's got as I'm not sure even Newcastle would be in for him now.

git_united

Is he really behind Lindelof? I think it’s just Varane.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can't see us loaning him unless West Ham offer us a decent fee.

He's still helpful for defending the box late in games, but his days of starting are over unless injuries kick in.

It's best for all parties he looks for a transfer this summer.

RopersReturn

Looks like Ten Hag has already given reasonable justification, Maguire’s third choice behind Varane and Lindelöf but he still wants to use him as injury cover. If I were him I’d seriously think about putting in a transfer request, West Ham would have him if they could afford his wages.

crossy1686

career ending
God fecking bless Inter, they've bailed us out something chronic over the years, make sure these lads get a Christmas hamper next year, it's the least we can do.

Vapor trail

No one's getting sold this window. The issue with these clubs showing interest in Elanga, Mctomminay, Lindelof and Maguire is why they didn't make moves in the summer.

crossy1686

career ending
No one's getting sold this window. The issue with these clubs showing interest in Elanga, Mctomminay, Lindelof and Maguire is why they didn't make moves in the summer.
It's a loan move apparently, Inter have enquired, doesn't say it's definitely going to happen but they're asking at least. Also, Inter and Milan have imploded this season giving Napoli a free run at the title. All the teams are trying to get ahead of Juventus before they can re-establish themselves.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It's a loan move apparently, Inter have enquired, doesn't say it's definitely going to happen but they're asking at least. Also, Inter and Milan have imploded this season giving Napoli a free run at the title. All the teams are trying to get ahead of Juventus before they can re-establish themselves.
I expect the loan fee to be a pittance paid over 30 instalments.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I reckon he’s gone in the summer for sure. I doubt he leaves in January

scottser

they're all looking for loans now without an obligation to buy in the summer.
jog on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All clubs have gotten together behind our backs and agreed that nobody will buy players from us.

Telsim

Would be a good move for him and potentially for us. If he does bad, well expectations can't get much lower already, but if he does good he could potentially get Inter to buy him or attract attention from other clubs and increase his fee. I'd move him. It's time.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Would be a good move for him and potentially for us. If he does bad, well expectations can't get much lower already, but if he does good he could potentially get Inter to buy him or attract attention from other clubs and increase his fee. I'd move him. It's time.
I actually disagree. I think there are a fair few teams interested in him off the back of his WC and now he doesn't play enough to remind people he's shit.

Also it doesn't matter because we can't afford to weaken depth at the one position we actually have decent depth at. He'll be gone in the summer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If there'd be a serious offer for him to buy or a loan with an obligation to buy it would likely be difficult to turn it down, even if we're pretty thin. I suspect that Inter rumour was only a loan with an option.

I'd sell any player now that we'd prefer to move on in the summer if there's a decent enough offer.

BorisManUtd

He'll leave in summer but can't see it happening now. Ten Hag will find him useful in different games and situations with his height etc. Plus we're still in all 4 competitions.

croadyman

All clubs have gotten together behind our backs and agreed that nobody will buy players from us.
Yeah wish we could get a £40m bid for a player like Chelsea just got for Gallagher,worse part is that covers nearly half of Fernandez fee,ugh pass me a bucket

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah wish we could get a £40m bid for a player like Chelsea just got for Gallagher,worse part is that covers nearly half of Fernandez fee,ugh pass me a bucket
Knowing us we’d probably reject such an offer if it came in for say Scott McTominay anyway. Usual ‘key part of manager’s plans’. We are too attached.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
McT and Maguire out would really help us in the coming summer window.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd sell any player now that we'd prefer to move on in the summer if there's a decent enough offer.
Actually - yes.

Or - I would perhaps say: "a substantial offer".

As in: someone a bit desperate willing to pay us good money here and now.

Who knows what might happen in the summer. Maguire - the obvious example, given what thread we're in - has two more seasons left on his contract.

EDIT: To be clear, if Maguire isn't a player we want to keep around as an option (a decided backup player), then we should absolutely sell him now if we get a "decent" offer, yes.

It's by no means certain that we'll get a significantly more decent offer come summer.

croadyman

Knowing us we’d probably reject such an offer if it came in for say Scott McTominay anyway. Usual ‘key part of manager’s plans’. We are too attached.
Think we wouldn't be so attached if Erik could trust the likes of Tuanzebe to step in for Maguire,however midfield is a different story because would have to turn to inexperienced youngsters like Mainoo & Iqbal.

croadyman

Actually - yes.

Or - I would perhaps say: "a substantial offer".

As in: someone a bit desperate willing to pay us good money here and now.

Who knows what might happen in the summer. Maguire - the obvious example, given what thread we're in - has two more seasons left on his contract.

EDIT: To be clear, if Maguire isn't a player we want to keep around as an option (a decided backup player), then we should absolutely sell him now if we get a "decent" offer, yes.

It's by no means certain that we'll get a significantly more decent offer come summer.
Yeah sometimes you should take the money because may not get it again in summer

AneRu

Unlike McTominay we have reasonable depth in his position in Shaw and Lindelof then Casemiro if push really came to shove. That is before e consider wheeling out Tuanzebe and Jones (who I trust more to play for his pride in one last swansong). If we got a serious bid we should let him go.

Dan_F

Far easier to let him go than McTominay.

Shaw can be forth back up at centre back, with Williams as back up for Malacia. Not to mention Dalot has played left back.

Basically. Get rid if there’s an offer.

Lee565

If there was any proof that boehly is not completely clueless otherwise he would be throwing money at harry as well

crossy1686

career ending
Far easier to let him go than McTominay.

Shaw can be forth back up at centre back, with Williams as back up for Malacia. Not to mention Dalot has played left back.

Basically. Get rid if there’s an offer.
Case can step in too if needed. Maguire's behind Shaw, Casemiro, Martinez, Varane and Lindelöf in the pecking order. I'd even suggest Bailly would get a game over him if he was still stinking up the place.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I actually disagree. I think there are a fair few teams interested in him off the back of his WC and now he doesn't play enough to remind people he's shit.

Also it doesn't matter because we can't afford to weaken depth at the one position we actually have decent depth at. He'll be gone in the summer
He's not shit, he's just better suited to a less physical league