Maguire | he stays!

Paul778

I think it's become a stupid cliche for United fans to call every player that's rightly criticized for poor performance a "scapegoat".

"Oh wonder who the next scapegoat will be?" implies that players don't deserve to be slated when they play like shite.
Surely this is balls. The reason the deal with West Ham has taken so long was due to Maguires expected demands.

If we've agreed stuff with West Ham with feeding it back through Maguire we've agreed nothing.

Gandalf

Surely not.

Why pay him off if he wants to go and have dreams of playing for England?
It is fairly standard in these situations and absent us coming to some arrangement with him over the difference in wages over the next 2 years that he was contracted for the likely outcome would be the deal collapsing due to failure to agree personal terms. The shift in us declining 30M to accepting 30M in the space of 24 hrs is due in part to us getting more of the fee upfront but also probably West Ham upping the salary offer leaving us on the hook for less in terms of severance.

Plastic Evra

I'd be wary about the numbers being reported (...conditionally) pertaining to that issue. 10m£ seems the most extreme scenario of United paying all the difference between his current wages (190k/week supposedly, after being scaled up because of the CL qualification) and something like 100k/week for the whole remaining 2 years of his contract. In reality there's a variety of factors unknown to us (Are you using his base salary or the CL season one to calculate this ? What is West Ham paying him ?) that could be involved and an infinite scale of compromises to be had. None of this is compulsory by law, it's all about what middle ground can be agreed to get Maguire's approval to move.

But yes if true Maguire will probably pocket a handful millions to sweeten his exit.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This can't be for real. How can we pay him for future earnings is he going to play for free at west Ham. He can stay then and sit on the bench and continue to be meme lord.
He’s losing out on up to £10 million by accepting a transfer on lower wages.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If we have to pay 10m then let him rot here. This madness needs to stop. If he cant agree lower salary then dont pay out his salary and take the financial hit by keeping him here. This paying off players to leave needs to stop and can only happen if we take a financial hit and let player play reserves football if he is surplus to requirements.

mikeyt

Classic article to make us look desperate. The media will try and turn this into a United doing everything to get rid and treating an England 'hero' like crap saga. That may be the case but just report the fee and do one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If I had the skills I would hack his Twiiter and post "the fans were mean and didn't appreciate what a great player I am. I'm glad to be moving to the real United in West Ham under a proper manager".

It would be glorious.
I don’t think you need to hack his Twitter, it’s exactly what I would expect to come out of his mouth

Idxomer

Classic article to make us look desperate. The media will try and turn this into a United doing everything to get rid and treating an England 'hero' like crap saga. That may be the case but just report the fee and do one.
Exactly. Clubs usually pay off the difference in salary in cases like this, it will also be likely for less than 10m.

The press will try to make it look like a much bigger issue than it really is, people should just ignore the noise.

Hester_manc

It's unfortunate that there are so many abusive tweets/posts directed at him, and that's uncalled for.

However, the media is always going to talk about United players, fairly or unfairly. Being a United player put him in their crosshairs, and being the captain meant that he was always going to be under a microscope. It was up to him to manage the pressure of being the United captain, and unfortunately, he couldn't handle that.

I'm sure he'd turn out to be a decent buy for West Ham, and haunt us by scoring a set-piece header or something, after which the media will claim that we're idiots for selling him.
I think we as a society must have moved on from here. It is now widespread that you have to be more fair in your communication towards all social groups, but it is as if it is still okay to bully sportsmen. And I actually think Maguire was bullied in both the media and by fans. It went too far and was beyond ordinary fun from e.g. fans

It's a little old-fashioned to just conclude that it's up to Maguire to stick with it.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
If we have to pay 10m then let him rot here. This madness needs to stop. If he cant agree lower salary then dont pay out his salary and take the financial hit by keeping him here. This paying off players to leave needs to stop and can only happen if we take a financial hit and let player play reserves football if he is surplus to requirements.
I would agree if it wasn't Maguire. He needs to feck off ASAP. Take what you can get. It would still be 20-25m salvaged. Why would we want him at our club when we got 3 replacements lined up that are way better and can be partially funded with his fee.

Hoof the ball

More and More,
West Ham, we want more and more
Thirty Five Million
That's what we're asking for

Freed from Maguire
The Caf's no longer terrified
Freed from Maguire
Freed from Maguire
Freed from Maguire

Onana na na na na na na na na na na

Mainoldo

If we are paying him £10m West Ham would have gave us more in the transfer fee. Or in negotiations we have received £10m upfront. Eitherway it will be coming from West Ham. Not us.

Plastic Evra

United is potentially saving 40m£ by paying him 10 (placeholder numbers).
If the deal falls through, you lose the fee and you still have to pay him an estimated 10m£ a year with 2 years on the contract.

Recouping a quarter or so of the fee and offloading half his remaining wages is probably as good as it gets. It's not great business but less catastrophic than him being malcontent, running down his contract and not freeing up wage and squad space.

OrcaFat

If we are paying him £10m West Ham would have gave us more in the transfer fee. Or in negotiations we have received £10m upfront. Eitherway it will be coming from West Ham. Not us.
Either way, it’d be £10m that we won’t be getting. They pay us £30m and we give £10m to Maguire or they pay us £20m and they give the other £10m to Maguire. All the money Maguire gets is really from us. As it should be. We’re the ones who gave him a contract.

Vanrouge

I don't, it's a load of shite. Best player in the post Sir Alex era?? What a load of bollock. He's been one of the most error prone players since Sir Alex retired and a bloody useless Captain.
Not sure of the point of a comment like this. Do you think you're going to persuade me otherwise? More so if you throw in some angry cursing and continue to repeat the same tired spin we've heard so often? I don't know you, so with all respect, your opinion literally means nothing to me, and I only commented to support Bojan Djordic's comment as it's a reasonable one that often gets drowned out by the more hysterical takes on Pogba. Carry on believing your version; it matters not to me.

fergosaurus

The delusions of grandeur West Ham fans have is remarkable. They really believe Maguire is beneath them.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
:lol: :lol:

Maybe we can just look to active some levers to get the £30M.

Christ above

JustinC00

He's not gonna take the hint that he'll be nothing more than 4th-5th choice and will nix this deal thinking he can fight for 1st choice isn't he?

Zed 101

Yeah who would see the sense in paying 10m to get 30m? I mean makes much more sense to pay 20m in wages over the next 2 years so he can warm the bench

I know 20m gained over 20m lost seems a no brainer.. oh wait it is but then a 40m swing nah mate there are principles at stake

December_16

He's not gonna take the hint that he'll be nothing more than 4th-5th choice and will nix this deal thinking he can fight for 1st choice isn't he?
It’s not just about football. Millions of pounds are involved too. Pretty clear he won’t take a huge paycut (if any) to move to West Ham.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not sure of the point of a comment like this. Do you think you're going to persuade me otherwise? More so if you throw in some angry cursing and continue to repeat the same tired spin we've heard so often? I don't know you, so with all respect, your opinion literally means nothing to me, and I only commented to support Bojan Djordic's comment as it's a reasonable one that often gets drowned out by the more hysterical takes on Pogba. Carry on believing your version; it matters not to me.
Merely pointing out that in my opinion it's a ridiculous statement. You're entitled to agree with the poster and I'm more than happy to disagree.

I certainly will agree with my version, to think Maguire of all people is our best signed player is bat shit insanity.

Last edited: