Maguire | he stays!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If we have to pay 10m then let him rot here. This madness needs to stop. If he cant agree lower salary then dont pay out his salary and take the financial hit by keeping him here. This paying off players to leave needs to stop and can only happen if we take a financial hit and let player play reserves football if he is surplus to requirements.
This comes from the Woodward train of thought. Next thing you know, you’ll be saying we should give him a new contract to avoid losing him on a free.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
It’s interesting to see the contrast between Maguire & Pogba.

Both are players who came with huge fees and huge expectations. Both are players that failed and both arguably mishandled their PR.

Maguire hounded and persecuted online. Has become a meme but defended by the media and pundits. Has a small section of fans who defend him and are outraged by the “abuse” he’s received in the form of booing and becoming a meme.

Pogba was persecuted by the pundits and media but was mostly supported online but had a small section of fans who absolutely couldn’t stand him.

In the end as close as you can get to 100% of fans wanted both to leave.

So different yet so similar. IMO, what Pogba received was worse because he was getting picked on by fellow pros on a weekly basis. Maguire has always had the support of the media and pundits and very likely it’s the lack of professional and honest criticism of his form on their part that has exacerbated the fans online ‘critique’ of him.
This explains it TBF

Marcus

Pogba left us once for almost free. We signed him for a record fee. Then he left us again for free, leading us on that he might re-sign. He was very inconsistent when not injured. His injuries while playing for United did not help, especially when he seemed ok playing for France. I think United fans felt betrayed twice. It is really not the same situation as Maguire.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Pogba left us once for almost free. We signed him for a record fee. Then he left us again for free, leading us on that he might re-sign. He was very inconsistent when not injured. His injuries while playing for United did not help, especially when he seemed ok playing for France. I think United fans felt betrayed twice. It is really not the same situation as Maguire.
Pogba has some good phases and never had the midfield to showcase the qualities he did at Juventus. But he was a cnut. Maguire somehow conned our club into believing he was good enough to be a starting CB for Manchester United.

Rooney1987

Wasn’t Wheeler the one who started the 10mil payout months ago? Probably just adding this to back his old story up. I don’t buy it. United wanted 35/40 for him and took 30 probably after negotiations so Weat Ham can pay him.

Last edited:

windycityfan

Pogba has some good phases and never had the midfield to showcase the qualities he did at Juventus. But he was a cnut. Maguire somehow conned our club into believing he was good enough to be a starting CB for Manchester United.
Both Pogba and Maguire conned our club into believing they were the missing piece. The former turned into a fraud, the latter was just a fraud. Difficult thing to say.

But reality is Pogba had the class to shine in the greatest sides in Europe. Maguire was just bang average, or worse.

Both wore out their stay in Manchester. Glad to move on from both.

Mercurial

It’s interesting to see the contrast between Maguire & Pogba.

Both are players who came with huge fees and huge expectations. Both are players that failed and both arguably mishandled their PR.

Maguire hounded and persecuted online. Has become a meme but defended by the media and pundits. Has a small section of fans who defend him and are outraged by the “abuse” he’s received in the form of booing and becoming a meme.

Pogba was persecuted by the pundits and media but was mostly supported online but had a small section of fans who absolutely couldn’t stand him.

In the end as close as you can get to 100% of fans wanted both to leave.

So different yet so similar. IMO, what Pogba received was worse because he was getting picked on by fellow pros on a weekly basis. Maguire has always had the support of the media and pundits and very likely it’s the lack of professional and honest criticism of his form on their part that has exacerbated the fans online ‘critique’ of him.
Both are respectively mercenary & mediocrity recruited too expensively in highly desperate times with lot of undeserved personal faith put unto them. Both got lost in their roles while here. Both have annoying family that antagonized our institution and fan base. Pogba could but would not. Maguire would but could not. Both have over inflated ego's that rub fans the wrong way and are at times immune to valid critique to the point even coaches want them gone. It's great to clean them all out and go down a meritocratic path like it always was at this club. They are parentheses in the long run.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That one goal per season will be massive. Probably against us though :lol:
You’ll be surprised, with a consistently good set piece which is what Ward prowse normally delivers and a confident Maguire, they could score a few of them. Like you said though most likely against us :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wasn’t Wheeler the one who started the 10mil payout months ago? Probably just adding this to back his old story up. I don’t buy it. United wanted 35/40 for him and took 30 probably after negotiations so Weat Ham can pay him.
Really hope so.
Selling him for 30 but having to pay say 7 or 8m of that out to cover wages would be an even more shocking deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You’ll be surprised, with a consistently good set piece which is what Ward prowse normally delivers and a confident Maguire, they could score a few of them. Like you said though most likely against us :lol:
Maguire reminds me of Fellaini for this.
When you play against them you feel constantly at threat ever set piece.
When you have them they barely get it on target.

In fairness Maguire would get his head on about 90% of set pieces but they'd barely go near the target.

strandty

Agree with this. We turned down £30m, to then accept it the next day after "continued negotiations". There will have been a compromise with both teams with regards the salary difference.

Zed 101

We are the only team that pays off players to move on. Players know they can take us for a ride. Setting the record straight would mean players understand that they risk their career if they don’t accept moving on. Maybe we lose 20m right now, but it will streamline the process of moving out players.

If we continue to pay off contracts and accept lower transfer fees, we will be stuck in this cycle forever.
we would be losing 40m

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I have some spare time today so will listen again Manchester is Red podcast from more less a year ago. Luckhurst was 100% sure Varane will be sitting on the bench, becasue Well you know Maguire is a first choice Englands CB. Im glad Maguire is moving on as i hate protection England’s NT player get in the media

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I have some spare time today so will listen again Manchester is Red podcast from more less a year ago. Luckhurst was 100% sure Varane will be sitting on the bench, becasue Well you know Maguire is a first choice Englands CB. Im glad Maguire is moving on as i hate protection England’s NT player get in the media
Yes. Maguire is known for having really fair portrayals of him in the media.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think we felt betrayed when he left the second time, he contributed next to nothing in his last year and his time was up, he was injured for the whole year afterwards.
But the fact that we lost him on a free, re-signed him for a club record fee and not selling him when we had the chance is comical.
Pogba at least had his good periods and had some memorable games in which he shined. Maguire on the other hand turned into a meme and a clown.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He did start the season as first choice until the Brighton and Brentford disasters.

Enigma_87

You know who
His 20/21 performance thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-2020-21-performances.457020/
Your last post "he's had an outstanding season"
I see you are digging a lot of old posts lately on various posters, yet you were one of the more vehement defenders of Ole and supported mediocrity 3 years in a row whilst spending half a billion and more than half of those players brought in are now out of the door - less than two years after. Hindsight and all that ;)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I see you are digging a lot of old posts lately on various posters, yet you were one of the more vehement defenders of Ole and supported mediocrity 3 years in a row whilst spending half a billion and more than half of those players brought in are now out of the door - less than two years after. Hindsight and all that ;)
And you were defending Jose and the players he wasted money on all left on free transfers except Lukaku.

Skills

Snitch
The revisionism never ceases to amaze me. Is there any other sport as reactionary as football? Only as good as your last season/game.
It's more the case that people's opinions back then weren't really objective.

He was Solksjaer's marquee signing for a WR fee. People were lining themselves up to rim him at any given opportunity - and that included his transfers/signings.

Leftback99

Simply pointing out blatant nonsense posters are talking. Happy to stand by any posts I made at the time, I wont try re-write history like others are here.

Enigma_87

You know who
And you were defending Jose and the players he wasted money on all left on free transfers except Lukaku.
For a season when he was doing pretty fine. As soon as he started underperforming, his relationship with player and board were poisonous I too wanted him out and you can check my post history.

It's no surprise you jumped on the topic though considering you were in the same boat as Leftback for 3 years.. :)

Simply pointing out blatant nonsense posters are talking. Happy to stand by any posts I made at the time, I wont try re-write history like others are here.
So you still think Ole did well or you changed your tune? Cause Maguire was good for a brief while and turned to turd after that initial phase and it's normal that in hindsight some posts might sound stupid now.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's more the case that people's opinions back then weren't really objective.

He was Solksjaer's marquee signing for a WR fee. People were lining themselves up to rim him at any given opportunity - and that included his transfers/signings.
Not really. He was objectively good in his first two seasons at the club. People were rightly desperate to have him back for the Europa league final (which we would likely have won with him) because he was playing so well at that point. Many had him in the team of the season and were asking his many better CBs were in the league. That wasn’t based on some fake narrative, that was derived from his performances over that period for both club and country.

Maguire is a case study in how targeted propaganda can cause lasting damage. A few meme videos drop, fans and rivals latch on and before you know it every error is being multiplied by 100 and his confidence was shot. Very little support from Utd fans who also managed to convince themselves he was some arrogant, self obsessed person (far from the truth). Now Is the right time for him to go, but partly because his position has become untenable with Utd fans.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Not really. He was objectively good in his first two seasons at the club. People were rightly desperate to have him back for the Europa league final (which we would likely have won with him) because he was playing so well at that point. Many had him in the team of the season and were asking his many better CBs were in the league. That wasn’t based on some fake narrative, that was derived from his performances over that period for both club and country.

Maguire is a case study in how targeted propaganda can cause lasting damage. A few meme videos drop, fans and rivals latch on and before you know it every error is being multiplied by 100 and his confidence was shot. Very little support from Utd fans who also managed to convince themselves he was some arrogant, self obsessed person (far from the truth). Now Is the right time for him to go, but partly because his position has become untenable with Utd fans.
I don’t think he is arrogant. But I have not heard or seen anything from Maguire himself that suggest he take responsibility for his performance.

Leftback99

For a season when he was doing pretty fine. As soon as he started underperforming, his relationship with player and board were poisonous I too wanted him out and you can check my post history.

It's no surprise you jumped on the topic though considering you were in the same boat as Leftback for 3 years.. :)

So you still think Ole did well or you changed your tune? Cause Maguire was good for a brief while and turned to turd after that initial phase and it's normal that in hindsight some posts might sound stupid now.
Yes he did fine with what he had, until he underperformed and deserved to be sacked.

Its nothing to do with hindsight that posts sound stupid, they were correct at the time. It's the latest posts completely contradicting what they said at the time that make them look ridiculous.

Zed is not dead

Agreed on everything you wrote.

Especially the last part. I’d say he’s suffering the same fate as Phil Jones. Good players at the very least, but turned into memes and every little mistake is magnified and turned into ridicule. This shattered their confidence

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes he did fine with what he had, until he underperformed and deserved to be sacked.

Its nothing to do with hindsight that posts sound stupid, they were correct at the time. It's the latest posts completely contradicting what they said at the time that make them look ridiculous.
I see.
So these posts doesn't look ridiculous then:

Apart from the obvious that are already leaving or don't play, Dalot and Telles would be the first out the door for me.

Rashford is finished here too, with 2 years left on his contract this summer he should be sold for whatever we can get.
Odd thing to bring up Maguire from someone who has 82 posts (3 less) in said thread, all hammering him. A prime example of picking and choosing who to support.

I don't think Rashford is that good, simple as that. I haven't scapegoated him for anything.
Agree. I'm also expecting quite a lot of Rashford starting at 9 unless Martial miraculously starts being fit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Nice try and deflection, money squandered? Well let me bring something else now.

Also wrong on Ole support part but you are usually wrong on lot of things. So it doesn't matter.

Leftback99

Correct. It's like posters think they'll lose face if they admit that they used to think he was pretty good.

Skills

Snitch

Who outside of the club thought that? Like I said, it was only people smoking the gasses from Solskjaer's arse crack that were high on that juice. Btw this isn't exclusive to Solskjaer and Maguire - Antony's the same. An underwhelming player who had a poor first season, that people are trying to convince themselves and everyone else around them that he's been good.

I fully agree with your second paragraph though. He's nowhere near as bad as the memes and the character assassination have made him look. He's a decent/good PL quality player - one who should never have played for Manchester United, especially for the WR fee and let alone have been made captain.

Leftback99

I see.
So these posts doesn't look ridiculous then:
They do. With 85% of the forum on that wasn't it? What's your point?

The equivalent here is if I now said, "I've always said Rashford was a top player".

Leftback99

My point is - you are calling out posters on their opinion on Maguire, when you did the same with Rashford.. Made me chuckle..
No I'm calling out them saying something now that completely contradicts what they said at the time.

As I said it's the same as me now saying "I've always thought Rashford was good" when clearly I didn't.

BarstoolProphet

I'm afraid of rating Maguire's seasons in hindsight, because I can't remember what I thought at the time. All I do remember is thinking he would be a massive loss for the EL final, so I probably felt he was really good around that time.

antk

My point is - you are calling out posters on their opinion on Maguire, when you did the same with Rashford.. Made me chuckle..
They are not. They're pointing out the inconsistency between what posters say they thought about players at a given time and what they actually posted at that time.

I don't know how you don't get the difference.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Best bit of transfer business Moyes has done since the day he became United manager!
For the record, I doubted Maguire from the day we signed him. Always believed there were better options

Idxomer

I'm afraid of rating Maguire's seasons in hindsight, because I can't remember what I thought at the time. All I do remember is thinking he would be a massive loss for the EL final, so I probably felt he was really good around that time.
He was decent over the season but he had a rough start and was inconsistent for more than half of it. During the period leading up to the final, he performed really well which carried over into the Euros. Those few months were arguably the peak of his career. I thought at that time he maybe left his brainless mistakes behind. I still fail to see how he could have influenced the result in the EL final, it was one of the least uninspiring finals I've watched.