Maguire | he stays!

Irwin99

Why? I replied to a post saying he had a great second season by saying i don't think that was the case and i think he was better in his first season. A poster points out that i said he had an outstanding season-which is true, i wrote that- but am i not allowed to think that i went overboard in saying that, especially during a tournament where he was genuinely outstanding? Am I not allowed to consider that we had problems defensively that season and that Maguire might just have been as culpable as the much maligned Lindelof (and as i said he was guilty too).

el3mel

They are not. They're pointing out the inconsistency between what posters say they thought about players at a given time and what they actually posted at that time.

I don't know how you don't get the difference.
There's no inconsistency. As we pointed before, in 2021 the competitors for our best defenders were Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo and Blackett vs Maguire and Smalling.

Of course Maguire and Smalling are better than these lot.

It doesn't mean they're good by any means. They're just better than these crap players that's all.

There's no contradiction. You and that other poster are just trying to look cool by bringing old posts while giving feck all about the context.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Clearly getting swept up in his England performances which were pretty immense ;). I did defend Maguire a lot in his first two seasons but looking back I feel Lindelof got a lot more stick than was his due (not that that exonerates him as he was sometimes poor) and I remember the consensus on here that if only Baily would partner Maguire we'd be totally set. It was pretty much acknowledged that we were often poor at the back and we conceded 44 goals that season in a counter attacking team. I still maintain his first season was his best here.
He was good that season, particularly in the second half of it. It was a widely held opinion. No need to revise it now and say he wasn't.

Leftback99

There's no inconsistency. As we pointed before, in 2021 the competitors for our best defenders were Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo and Blackett vs Maguire and Smalling.

It doesn't mean they're good by any means. They're just better than these crap players that's all.

There's no contradiction. You and that other poster are just trying to look cool by bringing old posts while giving feck all about the context.
"Maybe our worst signing ever" but appearing in your best XI (2013-2021) is pretty inconsistent.

Superunknown

"Maybe our worst signing ever" but appearing in your best XI (2013-2021) is pretty inconsistent.
Opinions change over time. I can't seriously believe you're holding on to what somebody said 2 years ago. In the two years since, Maguire's quality has dramatically fallen, even more so when you compare him to both Varane and Martinez, whilst even Lindelof has improved since then. He's even lost his place to Luke Shaw, a left back by trade.

Irwin99

He was good that season, particularly in the second half of it. It was a widely held opinion. No need to revise it now and say he wasn't.
Good/decent/alright, was he elite Manchester United level or "outstanding" though? i went overboard in defending and praising a player who was still getting a lot of ridicule even back then by saying he had an outstanding season in 20-21 when he was admittedly fantastic for England (i still maintain that he was) and now with the benefit of hindsight i don't think he was THAT great given our defensive issues that year and I think his first season was better as evidenced by our better defensive record in his first season. Am i not allowed to change my mind? I didn't say I now think he was dreadful in the 20-21 season either, just that i went overboard. Perhaps you'd like to dig up old posts saying that Anderson and Cleverly are the future of Manchester United's midfield or the Martial is the best striker in the league. Also your posts on Rashford and Ole are looking equally ridiculous too by the way :lol:

By the way here are my most recent posts regarding Maguire- hardly evidence of being super negative and saying he's totally awful:

Nice response i feel. I know he says he'll continue to play for the shirt and all that but it must be getting close to the end for him here.

In hindsight, giving him the captaincy almost right off the bat was insanity. I know we didn't exactly have many leaders at the club at that time anyway but talk about putting pressure on a new 80 million signing
I don't see a way back for him. Most fans have made their minds up about him over the past two seasons and EtH would rather play Shaw at cb than Maguire so.... the writing is really on the wall and i'd be amazed if he doesn't realise that.

Southgate has already said it isn't great that he's not playing regularly so there's that too.
I don't like the booing. He needs to leave for his own sake though, i doubt there's any coming back from this.

1 solid/decent first season, average second season and two catastrophic ones after that. 80 million :(
Do they think they're going to get Neymar or Mbappe with the money? The players they're after are very good for the level they want to be at it which is a consistent Europa conference league finish.

You're very welcome to trawl through a million Maguire threads and look for evidence of shit posting and being unfair. I genuinely don't remember ever criticizing him to the level of vitriol and abuse he's suffered on here so you're barking up the wrong tree if you think that.

Leftback99

Opinions change over time. I can't seriously believe you're holding on to what somebody said 2 years ago. In the two years since, Maguire's quality has dramatically fallen, even more so when you compare him to both Varane and Martinez, whilst even Lindelof has improved since then. He's even lost his place to Luke Shaw, a left back by trade.
No doubt it has but "worst signings ever" don't appear in best XIs. Hysterical nonsense.

A-man

Smalling played for Roma 2021. It was mainly Lindelof who partnered Maguire 2020/21 and they had decents stats, less than 1 goal conceded per game if I remember correctly. Maguire was one of our best players that season, in comparison to all our players not just defenders.

Leftback99

Good/decent/alright, was he elite Manchester United level or "outstanding" though? i went overboard in defending and praising a player who was still getting a lot of ridicule even back then by saying he had an outstanding season in 20-21 when he was admittedly fantastic for England (i still maintain that he was) and now with the benefit of hindsight i don't think he was THAT great given our defensive issues that year and I think his first season was better as evidenced by our better defensive record in his first season. Am i not allowed to change my mind? I didn't say I know think he was dreadful in the 20-21 season either, just that i went overboard. Perhaps you'd like to dig up old posts saying that Anderson and Cleverly are the future of Manchester United's midfield or the Martial is the best striker in the league. Also your posts on Rashford and Ole are looking equally ridiculous too by the way :lol:

By the way here are my most recent posts regarding Maguire- hardly evidence of being super negative and saying he's totally awful:

You're very welcome to trawl through a million Maguire threads and look for evidence of shit posting and being unfair. I genuinely don't remember ever criticizing him to the level of vitriol and abuse he's suffered on here so you're barking up the wrong tree if you think that.
No thanks it was just an easy one to go to the Maguire 20-21 thread. You were right at the time, just because he's fallen off a cliff since then doesn't change it.

I don't care if any of my old posts look ridiculous, it was my view at the time. Rashford was poor for a long time, I'm not going to now say actually he was brilliant in hindsight under Rangnick etc.

Irwin99

No thanks it was just an easy one to go to the Maguire 20-21 thread. You were right at the time, just because he's fallen off a cliff since then doesn't change it.

I don't care if any of my old posts look ridiculous, it was my view at the time. Rashford was poor for a long time, I'm not going to now say actually he was brilliant in hindsight under Rangnick etc.
No but you might actually decide that you were being too harsh on him at the time, that he wasn't actually that bad or that your opinion has changed and that it doesn't make you a hypocrite for changing your mind.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was peps original replacement for kompany until we outbid them. he played in every single premier league game, 71 games in a row in total before getting his ankle injury before the europa final. I remember people actually being gutted he missed it and we actually felt his loss with that game. When he got man of the match during his debut, he showed much promise. He had a fairly decent season and it’s unfair to say otherwise. He has always had an error in him.. but his united career has certainly gone downhill. It feels like ever since the Greek incident he just never was the same. The retrial happens next year so even that is still hanging over him. His confidence has looked shot for a long time.

Saying that, it’s time he is sold. That’s certain. He isn’t good enough for what we need.. but he is a decent defender and will do well at WH. Much more importance to the team and less pressure will do him wonders imo.

I don’t think he deserves the shite he gets, he is practically a meme at this point. That’s going to affect anyone. He looks shot to pieces. I hope he turns it around and does well for the hammers.
I don't know why people keep saying this.

The incident in Greece happened after his first season. Yes, he did struggle a bit for a month or so after that, but he then went on to be much better in his second season than he was in his first.

garelo

What is up with hate towards Moyes? He was completely out of depth of course but he was here 7-8 months failed and got fired. He didn't have enough time to do major damage (as Solskjaer did for example).

Did Moyes bashed club after he was fired or something?
Firing all fergie assistants just to replace them with his everton cohorts and extending rooney's contract when he was on decline were major damage greater than Ole's ever done, it set the club back for years to come. LvG came second with his foolish clear outs, kicking out many experienced players at good age like evans, chicharito for shingel and replaced them with expensive flops. Mind you i don't hate them, and won't spend any more of my time reminding everyone why they were bad managers for us.

Anyway i want Maguire gone but the vitrol here is so unneccessary.
1. No, he didn't con us into believing he was worth 80m, blame that on Mourinho, Ole, and the club who sanctioned his transfer after refusing to meet 60m demand in previous season.
2. He was good for us for 2 seasons. People who brought that 1-6 defeat against spurs should remember that on the same week Liverpool lost 7-2 to Aston Villa and City lost 5-2 to Leicester City at home. WHY? because most top clubs didn't have proper pre-season due to covid break in March that prolonged the 19/20 season into late July.
3. Why people seemed to be hating Pogba more than Maguire. Well for one Pogba couldn't keep his mouth shut about wanting to move to Real Madrid. His family, his agent kept talking about his dream move to Spain shamelessly, publicly. If you still had any self respect for this great club, you'd be very upset watching your main star player talked about his dream of another club, wouldn't you? heck many people seem to hate Dean Henderson for wanting out simply because he want to play some football. Maguire's worst interview was him talking about "not having to prove anything", see the biggest sinner here?

Now i want him gone and with Edson Alvarez protecting i think he'd be very good signing for WHU.

roseguy64

The incident in Greece happened after his first season. Yes, he did struggle a bit for a month or so after that, but he then went on to be much better in his second season than he was in his first.
Yeah it's after the Euros where he struggled as well as Ole bringing him back too early during that same season instead of playing Bailly.

OrcaFat

I think it’s a factor. As someone else posted, the ramifications are still going on. He has still got a retrial to go through. The weight of carrying these things tends to grow over time. His account of what happened there is pretty terrible.

SATA

I predict we will have a Harry Maguire watch thread once this is done. I have nothing against him so i hope he does well there

Plastic Evra

No ill will to Big Harry but I did have a loud chuckle at the "I'm their captain" caption of the photo where he points at a Real billboard with Ronaldo, Varane and Casemiro.

Totally expect him to score one against the Devils.

Idxomer

He reached a higher level in 20/21 but he was more consistent in 19/20, at least that's how I remember it.

Ted Lasso

We're expecting this to go through in time for the weekend right? Have to imagine Harry starts for West Ham right off the bat

Wing Attack Plan R

This is shaping up to be the best transfer window I can recall.

Maguire and Fred out, I’m not glad to see DeGea gone but I am excited to see Onana revolutionize our approach, Mount, Onana, Hojland, and possibly Amrabat in. And with Garnacho fully integrated and maybe Pellistri as well, we finally have a red hot attack, mobile and creative mids, and monsters in defense.

We are winning the league, the Kentucky Derby, and possibly the Ryder Cup. Can’t wait!

RedWilliam

This is shaping up to be the best transfer window I can recall.

Maguire and Fred out, I’m not glad to see DeGea gone but I am excited to see Onana revolutionize our approach, Mount, Onana, Hojland, and possibly Amrabat in. And with Garnacho fully integrated and maybe Pellistri as well, we finally have a red hot attack, mobile and creative mids, and monsters in defense.

We are winning the league, the Kentucky Derby, and possibly the Ryder Cup. Can’t wait!
Probably the Super bowl as well if we get a decent CB in too.

Strelok

Maguire is a case study in how targeted propaganda can cause lasting damage.
I wish people could just stop saying Maguire has turned bad just because of the abuses. He's been still pretty good for England because Southgate plays the football that suites him well.

He's been shit for us for the last two years simply because we started to play with a high line after we bought Ronaldo. He's like a deer caught in the headlights playing in a high line. He knows he's slow and the vast space behind him makes him really uneasy and got panic easily. Which led to numerous errors and him being a walking meme. He got his abuses because he's been shit. Not the other way around.

el3mel

Smalling played for Roma 2021. It was mainly Lindelof who partnered Maguire 2020/21 and they had decents stats, less than 1 goal conceded per game if I remember correctly. Maguire was one of our best players that season, in comparison to all our players not just defenders.
The earlier post was about our best players post SAF in general and it was posted in 2021, so in comparison to other competitors during such period, of course back then Smalling and Maguire were our best defenders in comparison to others who played that position from the period 2013-2021. That doesn't make them good players. They were just better than shit.