Maguire | he stays!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I wish people could just stop saying Maguire has turned bad just because of the abuses. He's been still pretty good for England because Southgate plays the football that suites him well.

He's been shit for us for the last two years simply because we started to play with a high line after we bought Ronaldo. He's like a deer caught in the headlights playing in a high line. He knows he's slow and the vast space behind him makes him really uneasy and got panic easily. Which led to numerous errors and him being a walking meme. He got his abuses because he's been shit. Not the other way around.
That’s clearly a factor but I disagree. His confidence has clearly taken a massive hit in a Utd shirt and a large part of that is the meme culture following him around. While the England system does suit him more, I’d say it’s more important that he feels trusted and confident in an England shirt compared to a Utd one. You’re underestimating the impact the abuse has had on his performance levels.

A-man

The earlier post was about our best players post SAF in general and it was posted in 2021, so in comparison to other competitors during such period, of course back then Smalling and Maguire were our best defenders in comparison to others who played that position from the period 2013-2021. That doesn't make them good players. They were just better than shit.
Ok gotcha. Personally I would never say Maguire has been our best defender 2013-2023. He was good 2021 and a main reason when we finished second and went to EL final but has been poor after that. One good season and been declining since then, it’s a major feck up transfer considering the money involved. I’m glad he leaves so we can move on.

Smalling was good, but when he left he was past his best plus didn’t fit the modern PL football any longer.

A-man

I wish people could just stop saying Maguire has turned bad just because of the abuses. He's been still pretty good for England because Southgate plays the football that suites him well.

He's been shit for us for the last two years simply because we started to play with a high line after we bought Ronaldo. He's like a deer caught in the headlights playing in a high line. He knows he's slow and the vast space behind him makes him really uneasy and got panic easily. Which led to numerous errors and him being a walking meme. He got his abuses because he's been shit. Not the other way around.
A high line with Ronaldo means a high line without press from the forward. Add a gaping hole in midfield and we have attacking players running at full speed against the CBs. Not an easy task for any CB, and you could see how the opponents tried to isolate Maguire to get this 1v1 against him.

Plastic Evra

What if West Ham do a Leicester this season and win the PL with Maguire as Captain?
Then we activate some of the most unexpected add-ons on this deal.

I wonder if theres ever been a stubborn owner or manager that has been like “ok fine you can stay but you wont play”. Because im sure no player wants to train with kids and not play matches.
Mentioned it in the Mbappé thread : Schuster at Barca. I'm sure there's a few others.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He reached a higher level in 20/21 but he was more consistent in 19/20, at least that's how I remember it.
He was inconsistent throughout pretty much all of 19/20. Wasn't even general form or anything as he'd throw great and shit performances around randomly. Overall he was good more often but there was still quite a lot of bad. It's why it's debatable whether he or Lindelof were better that year, as Maguire's good performances were certainly better but Lindelof was the more consistent.

In 20/21 he started terribly for the first month or two (which was understandable considering what happened in Greece), then improved to that same inconsistent form he'd shown the previous season for a couple more months. Then in the second half of the season he stepped up and was consistently great.

Depends how you rate it. I guess he was more consistently inconsistent in the first season, whereas the second season was broken into three distinct periods where he was more consistent. Well, in the first and third periods anyway, when he was consistently bad and good respectively. Personally I kind of ignore that first month or two since he had so much going on it was understandable that he'd start so badly. From that point forward he was either the same or better than he'd been the previous season.

JediSith

He was Solksjaer's marquee signing for a WR fee. People were lining themselves up to rim him at any given opportunity - and that included his transfers/signings.
The picture of him and Ole together speaks volumes… you’d think it was from a comedy show.

Zen86

Maguire was good for the first season and half, easily our best CB at the time. The transfer fee put a massive target on his back from day one though and there were a lot of people gunning for him at any opportunity. Once the spotlight intensified and a few cracks appeared he was never really able to regain his confidence, and
us pushing up the pitch and trying to exert more pressure on the opposition started to expose his game, especially when he lacked a decent partner and midfield to cover for those flaws.

He's been a shadow of himself since, but he could easily re-establish himself as a very good defender for WH if he can get his form back.

Kaos

Nah, ball in United's camp. But let's blame Maguire anyway.
Why is that a blocker? Its safe to assume Harry doesn't play again, and we're going to sign a replacement, whether thats Pavard, Todibo or even sticking with Evans as a worst case.

Just let the fecker go. Always with the hold ups.

croadyman

Why is that a blocker? Its safe to assume Harry doesn't play again, and we're going to sign a replacement, whether thats Pavard, Todibo or even sticking with Evans as a worst case.

Just let the fecker go. Always with the hold ups.
Sticking with Evans would be a joke

Kag

This seems highly unlikely, we have been trying to sell all summer + have a lot of cover at CB
Eh? We have next to zero cover at centre half. If Maguire leaves then we’re left with Varane, Martinez and Lindelof. Varane being unable to play three times a week.

We need a replacement and we’re right to tie that up before selling a player who, whether people like it or not, is as good a fourth choice centre half as you’ll find anywhere.

croadyman

Eh? We have next to zero cover at centre half. If Maguire leaves then we’re left with Varane, Martinez and Lindelof. Varane being unable to play three times a week.

We need a replacement and we’re right to tie that up before selling a player who, whether people like it or not, is as good a fourth choice centre half as you’ll find anywhere.
Well let's get on with buying his replacement

tomaldinho1

Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Evans + Shaw, Case ETH has used there. I'm assuming Bailly is off and Mengi goes Amiens on loan.

Even with that, my point is we will definitely know who our No1 target is and have everything agreed/ready to go in short order. There's no way we've got to this stage in Maguire's transfer and suddenly Murtough's realised we need to decide on who to replace him with.

croadyman

Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Evans + Shaw, Case ETH has used there. I'm assuming Bailly is off and Mengi goes Amiens on loan.

Even with that, my point is we will definitely know who our No1 target is and have everything agreed/ready to go in short order. There's no way we've got to this stage in Maguire's transfer and suddenly Murtough's realised we need to decide on who to replace him with.
Still unsure which of Pavard/Todibo signs

AneRu

Nah, ball in United's camp. But let's blame Maguire anyway.
Jesus Christ, I love my club but we are just not serious people. I mean all this time we don't know who is replacing him, we are as agile as Maguire himself. My God, stinking incompetence.

Abraxas

Maguire was good for the first season and half, easily our best CB at the time. The transfer fee put a massive target on his back from day one though and there were a lot of people gunning for him at any opportunity. Once the spotlight intensified and a few cracks appeared he was never really able to regain his confidence, and
us pushing up the pitch and trying to exert more pressure on the opposition started to expose his game, especially when he lacked a decent partner and midfield to cover for those flaws.

He's been a shadow of himself since, but he could easily re-establish himself as a very good defender for WH if he can get his form back.
I agree.

The only part of this summary I'd take issue with is I'm not sure there's all that much blame for his partners overall. Mainly because irrespective of whether he's had Varane or whoever is perceived to be our best outright defender, he's still struggled in recent times making silly errors.

We've also seen that he seems to be more of a problem than the alternatives. Lindelof for example looked competent when he was not paired with Maguire.

Good luck to him. Absolutely no issue with him and the personal vitriol was OTT. Hopefully he can rebuild.