Maguire | he stays!

greater wall

Agreed on everything you wrote.

Especially the last part. I’d say he’s suffering the same fate as Phil Jones. Good players at the very least, but turned into memes and every little mistake is magnified and turned into ridicule. This shattered their confidence
Totally agree. Some of the takes on this forum are shocking and they claim to be United supporters.

windycityfan

Both are respectively mercenary & mediocrity recruited too expensively in highly desperate times with lot of undeserved personal faith put unto them. Both got lost in their roles while here. Both have annoying family that antagonized our institution and fan base. Pogba could but would not. Maguire would but could not. Both have over inflated ego's that rub fans the wrong way and are at times immune to valid critique to the point even coaches want them gone. It's great to clean them all out and go down a meritocratic path like it always was at this club. They are parentheses in the long run.
“Pogba could but would not. Maguire would but could not.” Bravo!

DonBecks

Anyone who thinks that it would be weird to pay the difference in Maguire's wages when he takes a step down cannot know anyone who was actually involved in professional football, this is absolutely standard for players who are reducing their wage with a move. There are three potential outcomes in this situation, in the vast majority of cases the player will be fine with leaving but not the money they are leaving behind and so meet in the middle somewhere with the money they are 'giving up', like say 80% of cases. Then you'll have 10% of cases where the player says he's not leaving without being paid the full difference and then 10% where the player just wants out and will forego what they are 'due'. I'd actually say that one is probably less than 10%, probably closer to under 5% and think about it, it's understandable, they signed a contract, clubs expect players to honour contracts, the player therefore expects the clubs to honour contracts.

In Maguire's case we could easy be in the 10% where he's asking for his full contract, it's the biggest one he'll ever have, he doesn't actually want to leave and probably feels a little forced out. He's probably looking at this from the point of view of, if I'm leaving somewhere that I don't want to leave, I'm leaving with all my money.

Ibrahimorich

He didn't have 2 good seasons. That is just what you and others are convincing yourselves. He has been a concern throughout all his time here.

Pogba at least has the Europe League final goal under his name.

We recouped most of Di Maria's fee.

Maguire's transfer has been a disaster.
If you look at the stats for those seasons it tells the story. I think you're letting the calamities of the past season colour your judgement.

Plastic Evra

Anyone who thinks that it would be weird to pay the difference in Maguire's wages when he takes a step down cannot know anyone who was actually involved in professional football, this is absolutely standard for players who are reducing their wage with a move. There are three potential outcomes in this situation, in the vast majority of cases the player will be fine with leaving but not the money they are leaving behind and so meet in the middle somewhere with the money they are 'giving up', like say 80% of cases. Then you'll have 10% of cases where the player says he's not leaving without being paid the full difference and then 10% where the player just wants out and will forego what they are 'due'. I'd actually say that one is probably less than 10%, probably closer to under 5% and think about it, it's understandable, they signed a contract, clubs expect players to honour contracts, the player therefore expects the clubs to honour contracts.

In Maguire's case we could easy be in the 10% where he's asking for his full contract, it's the biggest one he'll ever have, he doesn't actually want to leave and probably feels a little forced out. He's probably looking at this from the point of view of, if I'm leaving somewhere that I don't want to leave, I'm leaving with all my money.
That's what I was asking about what length of contract WH was offering because one argument for him just giving up on his wages is that his expected future earnings are looking better with that move than rotting on United's bench.
I know Moyes loves lads like Harry but if I were the club I'd offer him maybe 3, 3+1 or 4 years, not chancing on guaranteeing a squad place in his 35-36 years.

If it's 3 years guaranteed at WH (pure speculation)... I'm not sure it makes a huge difference for Maguire prospects if he's potentially back on market in the summer of 25 or 26. Sure if he does really well at WH he may get an extension. Or maybe he was offered a 5 years deal, I dunno. But that's his last big contract opportunity and it's not as big as the one he is on currently.

A move to West Ham is beneficial to him clearly but maybe not so beneficial he'll sit down on X millions of expected pay.

Plastic Evra

That's that then, no obstacles to the transfer now.

There was talks West Ham was possibly giving him a 5,5m£ signature bonus. Don't know if it's confirmed (or part of the previous bid but not this one) but if it's really 5,5 + 6 I guess Harry has been made whole more or less and is maybe on something like 100k/week ?

slyadams

Not really. He was objectively good in his first two seasons at the club. People were rightly desperate to have him back for the Europa league final (which we would likely have won with him) because he was playing so well at that point. Many had him in the team of the season and were asking his many better CBs were in the league. That wasn’t based on some fake narrative, that was derived from his performances over that period for both club and country.

Maguire is a case study in how targeted propaganda can cause lasting damage. A few meme videos drop, fans and rivals latch on and before you know it every error is being multiplied by 100 and his confidence was shot. Very little support from Utd fans who also managed to convince themselves he was some arrogant, self obsessed person (far from the truth). Now Is the right time for him to go, but partly because his position has become untenable with Utd fans.
Good post, I said this yesterday when someone said something like "He's just crap". He's clearly not, you simply don't con your way to 250 PL and 60 England appearances. He's been destroyed by the meme culture.

My point is - you are calling out posters on their opinion on Maguire, when you did the same with Rashford.. Made me chuckle..
You completely missed the point. Everyone posts things that later turn out to be incorrect, the difference is those who deny making those mistakes vs those who own them.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
It's going to be very solid, set piece based football and probably highly ugly, but probably effective as well.

Our big problem is goals though imo.
He's officially yours. Ajax farewell videos are always Oscar material but with this one I had a hard time not crying together with Edson.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Imagine the scenes on here if Maguire decides to ditch that 5 mil pay off and stay put to 'fight for his place'

Highfather_24

I have never slagged Maguire off, humans make mistakes, its not his fault he's not good enough for United on current form. But just for sake of discussion, Phil Jones > Maguire.

Phil Jones was never a bad player. Injury prone, yes. But during his younger days, his potential was immense, and he was delivering brilliant performances at the highest levels. Forget SAF, even Capello was comparing him to Frank Baresi.

The Italian said: "It is difficult to find a player like him, really difficult. He can play in different positions always at the top level. I found in my career probably two players - Franco Baresi and Fernando Hierro. They played as midfielders and after they played centre-back. I think really good players.

"Jones is a talent. So young but a big talent because when he receives the ball he plays always without fear. Good passes, good solutions. I know something about football and the solution that he chooses every time when he receives the ball always the best.

Enigma_87

You know who
They are not. They're pointing out the inconsistency between what posters say they thought about players at a given time and what they actually posted at that time.

I don't know how you don't get the difference.
Come on now. The posts are like 2-3 years apart. You post something on a high note when we finished second and the perspective doesn't change over time?
You completely missed the point. Everyone posts things that later turn out to be incorrect, the difference is those who deny making those mistakes vs those who own them.
Again same as above. Maguire wasn't a world beater by any means but was solid for a season, then as soon as we employed a more progressive style than the Oleball and normally a higher line or more dynamic style means he'll bad fit for it straight away. We had a thread on that and his role in higher line and many predicted he would fail. Add to that aging and completely devoid of confidence and the result is a meme player.

And you are right, everyone posts incorrect things, but it was a second poster in a row in this thread that got chased for old posts by Leftback, which irked me a bit.

December_16

He's officially yours. Ajax farewell videos are always Oscar material but with this one I had a hard time not crying together with Edson.
This is absolute class, bravo Ajax.

Imagine United putting a farewell video like this together for Maguire :lol:

ForeverRed1

He had a tough time here really. Made the most expensive defender and captain straight away. That’s a lot of pressure.
He had a good first season. Played pretty much every single game. Smashed it with England. It just went down hill with the pressure to win increasing.

West Ham is a good move for him. He will do well there

Giggsy13

He had a tough time here really. Made the most expensive defender and captain straight away. That’s a lot of pressure.
He had a good first season. Played pretty much every single game. Smashed it with England. It just went down hill with the pressure to win increasing.

West Ham is a good move for him. He will do well there
The standard was so low at that we were satisfied he played every single game even though he had some questionable moments his first few seasons where everyone thought he was good.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Just a super slo-mo of him assaulting Shaw to a soundtrack of Cavalleria Rusticana would be a fitting end to his tragic time here.
I vaguely recall a clip of him trying a bicycle kick hitting nothing except Pogba's head?

ForeverRed1

The standard was so low at that we were satisfied he played every single game even though he had some questionable moments his first few seasons where everyone thought he was good.
He was peps original replacement for kompany until we outbid them. he played in every single premier league game, 71 games in a row in total before getting his ankle injury before the europa final. I remember people actually being gutted he missed it and we actually felt his loss with that game. When he got man of the match during his debut, he showed much promise. He had a fairly decent season and it’s unfair to say otherwise. He has always had an error in him.. but his united career has certainly gone downhill. It feels like ever since the Greek incident he just never was the same. The retrial happens next year so even that is still hanging over him. His confidence has looked shot for a long time.

Saying that, it’s time he is sold. That’s certain. He isn’t good enough for what we need.. but he is a decent defender and will do well at WH. Much more importance to the team and less pressure will do him wonders imo.

I don’t think he deserves the shite he gets, he is practically a meme at this point. That’s going to affect anyone. He looks shot to pieces. I hope he turns it around and does well for the hammers.

RedStarUnited

I wonder if theres ever been a stubborn owner or manager that has been like “ok fine you can stay but you wont play”. Because im sure no player wants to train with kids and not play matches.

Varun1

I have never slagged Maguire off, humans make mistakes, its not his fault he's not good enough for United on current form. But just for sake of discussion, Phil Jones > Maguire.

Phil Jones was never a bad player. Injury prone, yes. But during his younger days, his potential was immense, and he was delivering brilliant performances at the highest levels. Forget SAF, even Capello was comparing him to Frank Baresi.
It's sad how things turned out for Jones. Hugely promising, would have been one of those great United defenders but for his injuries.

Harry is a twat, however not his fault that Woodward and Ole sanctioned 80m on a CB that did not suit modern day football. Crazy how much money we wasted on unsuitable players!

Irwin99

His 20/21 performance thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-2020-21-performances.457020/
Your last post "he's had an outstanding season"
Clearly getting swept up in his England performances which were pretty immense ;). I did defend Maguire a lot in his first two seasons but looking back I feel Lindelof got a lot more stick than was his due (not that that exonerates him as he was sometimes poor) and I remember the consensus on here that if only Baily would partner Maguire we'd be totally set. It was pretty much acknowledged that we were often poor at the back and we conceded 44 goals that season in a counter attacking team. I still maintain his first season was his best here.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I really really really hope we dont feck this and McT transfer up over being greedy. Sounds like typical United though.
Hang on, I thought typical united was the complete opposite where we don't get good fees for our players and sell them for peanuts? So which one is it?

slyadams

Come on now. The posts are like 2-3 years apart. You post something on a high note when we finished second and the perspective doesn't change over time?

Again same as above. Maguire wasn't a world beater by any means but was solid for a season, then as soon as we employed a more progressive style than the Oleball and normally a higher line or more dynamic style means he'll bad fit for it straight away. We had a thread on that and his role in higher line and many predicted he would fail. Add to that aging and completely devoid of confidence and the result is a meme player.

And you are right, everyone posts incorrect things, but it was a second poster in a row in this thread that got chased for old posts by Leftback, which irked me a bit.
You've missed the point again.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Clearly getting swept up in his England performances which were pretty immense ;). I did defend Maguire a lot in his first two seasons but looking back I feel Lindelof got a lot more stick than was his due (not that that exonerates him as he was sometimes poor) and I remember the consensus on here that if only Baily would partner Maguire we'd be totally set. It was pretty much acknowledged that we were often poor at the back and we conceded 44 goals that season in a counter attacking team. I still maintain his first season was his best here.
Nah, the common consensus around here was that we had a decent defence because 44 goals in a season was one of the best record in the league. We even had that dumb thread by Sammsky about hipster defenders and how Maguire and Lindelof were actually doing better than supposedly bigger names defenders.

Pointing out that we played so deep with holding midfielders and still conceded more than a goal a game was taboo because Ole was supposed to be the answer to those delusional people :lol:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's more the case that people's opinions back then weren't really objective.

He was Solksjaer's marquee signing for a WR fee. People were lining themselves up to rim him at any given opportunity - and that included his transfers/signings.
:lol:
Thanks for that imagery...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I still remember young Phil Jones was being hailed as new Duncan Edwards. He was exiting to watch at times, would throw his body up against any challenge, and his “progressive run” as CB was also breathtaking.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
For a season when he was doing pretty fine. As soon as he started underperforming, his relationship with player and board were poisonous I too wanted him out and you can check my post history.

It's no surprise you jumped on the topic though considering you were in the same boat as Leftback for 3 years.. :)

So you still think Ole did well or you changed your tune? Cause Maguire was good for a brief while and turned to turd after that initial phase and it's normal that in hindsight some posts might sound stupid now.
The fact that people don't think ole did well at times is exactly the revisionism some posters are talking about.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good grief. The Maguire: West Ham player thread. Will be the same kind of car crash as the Lukaku, Pogba and Ronaldo threads are. At least it will all be self contained then.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Good grief. The Maguire: West Ham player thread. Will be the same kind of car crash as the Lukaku, Pogba and Ronaldo threads are. At least it will all be self contained then.
I think most people expect him to do very well at a defensive mid-table club with no expectations for him to do much other than stand in his own box, head crosses away, and maybe knock a long ball for Antonio to scrap for now and then.

OrcaFat

He was peps original replacement for kompany until we outbid them. he played in every single premier league game, 71 games in a row in total before getting his ankle injury before the europa final. I remember people actually being gutted he missed it and we actually felt his loss with that game. When he got man of the match during his debut, he showed much promise. He had a fairly decent season and it’s unfair to say otherwise. He has always had an error in him.. but his united career has certainly gone downhill. It feels like ever since the Greek incident he just never was the same. The retrial happens next year so even that is still hanging over him. His confidence has looked shot for a long time.

Saying that, it’s time he is sold. That’s certain. He isn’t good enough for what we need.. but he is a decent defender and will do well at WH. Much more importance to the team and less pressure will do him wonders imo.

I don’t think he deserves the shite he gets, he is practically a meme at this point. That’s going to affect anyone. He looks shot to pieces. I hope he turns it around and does well for the hammers.
Nice to read a balanced post.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What if West Ham do a Leicester this season and win the PL with Maguire as Captain?
Would be grand for long standing Caf favourite Moyesie (assuming he won't be sacked, that is).

Firmly in the "not bloody likely" category, though.