Maguire | he stays!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I get the usual 'don't trust what he says in a press conference' stuff. But this is a bit different because it's either a clear sign that Maguire is staying, and therefore a big discussion point. Or he's took a shot at Maguire for not staying when we're apparently forcing him out, which again is very odd and worth discussion.

Pronewbie

Peep
Weird that ETH has insinuated that Maguire isn't confident in fighting for a starting place in the squad so publicly. I hope it isn't going to make Harry hunker down to prove him wrong. Just leave already for everyone's sake.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think it's purely replacing him that stops, for now, his transfers.

I think ETH and United wants him gone, he wants out (remember that he's 5th choice) and we have an agreement with a club.

I suppose that if Pavard or Todibo are sealed, Maguire will leave the same day.

arthurka

Really interesting comments. Seems ETH wants Maguire to stay. Would be happy with either outcome.
Why would you think that? He is for sale why would ETH tell everybody he wants him gone? Makes no sense, Harry is a top bloke and a top top player who I would love to have competing for places.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Why would you think that? He is for sale why would ETH tell everybody he wants him gone? Makes no sense, Harry is a top bloke and a top top player who I would love to have competing for places.
He’s comments do suggest he’d be happy for him to stay, but he has to prove himself.

arthurka

He’s comments do suggest he’d be happy for him to stay, but he has to prove himself.
His comments sounds like a manager bigging up his player. Of course he would say all these things he is a valued member blah blah blah. He is available for sale and is not in his plans that's the fact.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even if the club do their due diligence etc the reality is every transfer is a gamble
The point remains, keeping Maguire makes no sense, because we already know he is not good enough

Xaviboy

Wouldn't read to much in to ETH comments. At end of day, he isnt starting in the 1st 11 each week. Martinez and Varane and then it's Lindelof.
Was like that last season and will continue again. Martinez out Shaw steps in

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's an empty, meaningless statement though.

Of course he's happy for him to stay if he can prove he's good enough, because that means he's good enough. He's also not going to say, "he's shit and we don't want him," when we're trying to flog him because it'll drive the price way down.

Giggsyking

So reported 6m severance is reportedly not enough.
I understand its his right. But he he has to sacrifice a little bit to play football again, he can not have it both ways. He will be getting 6m severance instead of the rest of his 10m difference in wages but with the chance to preserve his place in the NT and play another season in Europe.

I understand its his right. But he he has to sacrifice a little bit to play football again, he can not have it both ways. He will be getting 6m severance instead of the rest of his 10m difference in wages but with the chance to preserve his place in the NT and play another season in Europe.
No shit, but his agent simply has to negotiate the best severance package. Just saying “ok, I’ll take whatever cause I want to play” is fantasy land stuff.
He’ll go, but only after his agent has got him the best deal he thinks possible, and rightfully so.

Why are people such utter numpties regarding this?

Plastic Evra

Not pointing fingers at anyone but is it that different in essence with the speculated 17m€ in deferred wages that were due to de Jong by FC Barca ?
I feel people here last year were more sympathetic to the player in that hypothetical.

Bondi77

Not pointing fingers at anyone but is it that different in essence with the speculated 17m€ in deferred wages that were due to de Jong by FC Barca ?
I feel people here last year were more sympathetic to the player in that hypothetical.
Common sense does not apply when Harry is involved.

Zed 101

There is a big difference in losing money which effectively is past due and that which is future income, FDJ was actually owed money which Barca wanted to get out of paying, Maguire is owed nothing but does not want to see his future income diminish.

I wouldn't blame Maguire if he decided to sit on his contract, I know we are talking the sort of money we cannot really even imagine but still why would anyone choose to lose money.

Telsim

Christ alive, just get rid! I'm sick and tired of hearing about Harry Maguire! Damned the day we bought him.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

Common sense does not apply when Harry is involved.
Very different. De Jong had unpaid salary for days he actually worked. Maguire is asking for us to pay future earnings. Even though he could revive his career at another club. He’s the laughing stock of the world but I guess he has no self respect and is happy to stay here for a salary. Even with no football.

Andy_Cole

There is a big difference in losing money which effectively is past due and that which is future income, FDJ was actually owed money which Barca wanted to get out of paying, Maguire is owed nothing but does not want to see his future income diminish.

I wouldn't blame Maguire if he decided to sit on his contract, I know we are talking the sort of money we cannot really even imagine but still why would anyone choose to lose money.
I would blame Maguire absolutely.

My last job I had back in 2018. I was planning on leaving to start my own business and hated the place. I had a kid on the way and I had the opportunity to use the companies great paternity leave and get full pay for 6 months. Loads of employees were trying to convince me to take it rinse the company. I didn’t because I wanted to move forward with my life and see the back of the company. I turned money away to grow as a person. It’s not all about money. Self worth is more important.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Pay this block of concrete off, if I hear another q about him in a presser I will drive up to Sheffield and throw a strop.

IrishRedDevil

Self-sabotage part of me nearly wishes he stayed, sat on the bench all season (or even better ETH doesn't select him for the bench and goes for Lindelof / Pavard? instead), then Maguire misses the Euro squad. Yes I am petty.

Plastic Evra

Yes there might some contractual difference that makes it different in nature though without knowing the particulars... And that's more akin to wage theft.

I know not everyone empathize with equating footballers to us simple workers but if my boss came up to me and said "Hey, so our competitor was interested in you, think you're cracking, your skills would do them good ! Gave us a big check to buy your contract. Would do us a solid if you accepted to move there, like, right now. Wages ? No, they're paying 40% less. But think of all the future earnings you could make with this opportunity." I might be a little miffed to be quite honest.

Traub

Very different. De Jong had unpaid salary for days he actually worked. Maguire is asking for us to pay future earnings. Even though he could revive his career at another club. He’s the laughing stock of the world but I guess he has no self respect and is happy to stay here for a salary. Even with no football.
Or think of it this way: his confidence is so low due to be a laughing stock, that he is concerned his playing career days may be numbered. If he continues to be a flop at West Ham, his future salary after his new contract will be negligible. Getting his payoff from United may be important down the line.

padzilla

Hipster
At the time when we were signing Maguire everybody was saying it was a fee that should be reserved for an elite signing, he was good but not great at best, we all knew there was a huge risk paying a world record fee on a player who wasn't among the best in the world.

I can't say I blame him for not wanting to diminish his earnings especially when he's only got a few years left of his career. We need to be much more careful in the future when handing over long-term deals. I would say though surely he would want a fresh start to get back to playing first team football. Fans who boo their own players are a disgrace but it still happens in this modern society, surely that must destroy a person's self-belief.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't understand why the club are stalling on this instead of just paying him the difference in wages over the next two seasons. I wouldn't expect anyone to accept less. Maybe it's about the payment terms, as he'd obviously want it now rather than in future.