Maguire | he stays!

FerociousCorgis

What a mess. I hope our CBs stay fit and in form for the season. Would be good to give Harry even less minutes than last season.
Licha is the key for that. As long as he doesnt get hurt between lindalof and varane we should have at least one other fully fit CB and then shaw can cover as well. So hopefully keeps harry in that 5th CB spot and shit even then i hope EtH gives a youth CB some time or something.

Gandalf

And I reckon a big part of that is because the manager isn’t overly bothered whether the player stays or goes. If he really wanted the player out, I think we would have seen more of a push.
This is pretty much hitting the nail on the head. From the outset we briefed that Harry and Scott were not for sale unless we got an offer we could not refuse and I don't think that was a negotiating tactic. There is a number for both that works but equally ETH is happy to keep them as 5th choice CB or 7th choice CM if the figure offered is not enough as he is well aware that the budget for replacements won't stretch to anyone that could legitimately be called an upgrade.

Irrational.

It’s clear it’s all about the money and how he sees WH as beneath him. Otherwise he wouldn’t have asked for several millions to leave.

His valuation, his place in the England set up and his popularity are going to take a nosedive. He could’ve left with a bit of grace and decorum, but the shitshow he’s created will mean he leaves as a prick.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Licha is the key for that. As long as he doesnt get hurt between lindalof and varane we should have at least one other fully fit CB and then shaw can cover as well. So hopefully keeps harry in that 5th CB spot and shit even then i hope EtH gives a youth CB some time or something.
We can only hope.

FerociousCorgis

Puts a whole new perspective on our summer business after being so close to selling the 3 amigos and now looks like they’re all staying.
between henderson and mctominay we will be missing out on a lot of pure profit as well i believe with how FFP shit works. Couldve really done some good on the transfer market and solidified our window.

Fooza

What's the play here? He's barely going to be at worth much next year with him hardly having game time so either move him on now or go even cheaper next year. This club is so bad at selling it's ridiculous

Plastic Evra

For what it is worth, I imagine Pavard -if indeed the expected replacement- would have been on equal if not bigger wages than Maguire though that might depend at what level Bayern is paying him.

Improvement excepted on the pitch but financially neutral.

lsd

The Oracle
Him staying directly impacts the chances of us bringing anyone else in so can't say this is great news at all.

We certainly need a defensive midfielder for one thing which we will be unlikely to do now

Mercurial

Largely apathetic about Maguire not coming, but a bit more vexed that the club is probably going to raise a quarter of a billion in sales yet doesn't appear to be spending much of it.

Lingard is 'keeping his fitness up' with us... murmurings about what that might mean.

Trying to nab Laporte as part of any Paqueta sale, have been linked with Jonathan Tah at Leverkusen all summer.
Is Lingard using their facilities? :annoyed:

mintyred

Fuming with this, but I can't say I didn't see it coming after Monday, if he was on his way out he wouldn't have been in the stadium. I doubted he's staying purely for the money, I think it's a case that he thinks he's too big for West Ham. Maguire has a pretty big opinion of his own ability and little West Ham wouldn't be good enough for him. The fact he didn't agree terms or even speak to Moyes says he was never interested, but United was though.

He's going to go down as one of the most hated United players ever, completely fecking delusional.

joedirt87

Him staying directly impacts the chances of us bringing anyone else in so can't say this is great news at all.

We certainly need a defensive midfielder for one thing which we will be unlikely to do now
talk all summer has been Amrabat will come if we can move on from Fred and Donny. Time will tell if that is the case.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, we just didn't cough up the payoff he and his agent were hoping for. I'd guess the deal was dead at the point EtH made those comments, otherwise he wouldn't have made them. He won't be fighting for anything - he's the Premier League's most expensive bench warmer for the next two years.
Very likely. He knows he is staying and he did what most manager would do in this situation, is to utilize the resource he has on hand just in case.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There isn’t a better club in the world to be mediocre than United. I don’t recall any of the major clubs ever having as much patience with underperforming players, there’s almost no consequence to not meeting expectations here. Fans are still going to sing chants about you, the manager will repeatedly mention how much he values and admires you, you will get to play in important games even if there are promising youngsters waiting eagerly to take your place (because experience, of course) and with just a little bit of luck (not much needed) and good timing you are even going to get your contract renewed with a nice bump on what is already an exorbitant salary.

This all is unthinkable at any other serious club but has somehow become the norm at United, so it’s not surprising to see players like Maguire stay - end of the day they don’t really have a reason to leave.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What's the play here? He's barely going to be at worth much next year with him hardly having game time so either move him on now or go even cheaper next year. This club is so bad at selling it's ridiculous
Freeze him out completely until January. He will panic of his England place is under threat.

Revan

Assumptionman
For what it is worth, I imagine Pavard -if indeed the expected replacement- would have been on equal if not bigger wages than Maguire though that might depend at what level Bayern is paying him.

Improvement excepted on the pitch but financially neutral.
I think Pavard is in 100k/week EUR. And the French kid we have been linked is probably in sub-20k/week.

In general, most other big clubs pay their star players more than us, but United pays average players more than any other club. I kinda understand Sancho in 350k/week cause he was supposed to be one of the top young players and our talisman (albeit we could have offered half that and he would have signed), but we have Maguire in 190k, Henderson in 120k and my favorite, Brandon Williams is somehow in 65k/week when he probably would struggle to get 6.5K/week at any other club.

Matt851

Yeah the ETH comments this week were abit weird and suggested or at least led the player to believe he should stay and fight for his place if he were a real man! Backfired spectacularly
Or were those eth comments just because he new the deal was going sour. If not then those comments were very odd

Gandalf

Amrabat or A.N.Other has always been tied to Fred and Donny leaving and is unrelated to Harry or Scott for that matter. Fred is gone and we are still working on getting Donny out so I do still expect something to happen with the midfield but any notion of defensive recruits or an experienced striker to rotate with The Rasmus are dead in the water.

led_scholes

Who said he rejected WH? All reports say that he hasn’t spoken with them yet because United didn’t progress the sell quickly enough
Then how does he ask for a compensation? He must have spoken with WH so to calculate an amount. To be more precise, he didn't reject WH, he rejected the transfer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair, if it's true Moyes hasn't spoken to him all this time then that's on West Ham. If it wasn't true I expect West Ham/Moyes to say otherwise but it if it is, it does imply he may not have actually felt that wanted there (either)
Hard to believe clubs don't do the ground work with the players and their agents before they submitted the bid these days.

Plastic Evra

I think Pavard is in 100k/week EUR. And the French kid we have been linked is probably in sub-20k/week.

In general, most other big clubs pay their star players more than us, but United pays average players more than any other club. I kinda understand Sancho in 350k/week cause he was supposed to be one of the top young players and our talisman (albeit we could have offered half that and he would have signed), but we have Maguire in 190k, Henderson in 120k and my favorite, Brandon Williams is somehow in 65k/week when he probably would struggle to get 6.5K/week at any other club.
Ah, cheers. I was looking at Varane's wages and thinking Pavard could probably pretend somewhere around Maguire's level... But maybe he could have settled for a little less.

Roboc7

Even if he had of agreed to go it doesn’t sound like we had funds to bring a replacement in. Unless we sell Mctominay looks like might not be any more signings.

It’s all a big mess, everyone knows club don’t want him and that he wanted money to leave. Maguire might be about to waste two years of his career as finances might make even less sense next summer.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't have instagram so can't see his activity but simply using that as an example, you earn about £200k per 1m followers you have from brand posts at the upper end. I googled him and he's got 5m, for a reference point John Stones (a better, more marketable and more successful player) has half of that. United is a monster of a brand. It's kind of sickening when you think about it, when footballers go on holiday they'll likely pay for the holiday 5x over simply by sharing a pic of the hotel - if you play for the massive clubs like United, Barca, Real etc. you are at the top of the pecking order.
That’s not exactly how it works. I’ve scoured through some of his posts advertising puma and his engagement is lower compared to posts with United winning stuff or playing with the first team. Average engagement rate is 1-2% which amounts for about 10-20k per post if we’re going by market rate in sports industry and below 5% engagement rate.

no sane sponsor will pay 200k per post they are not insane. They also got burned in the past by hollow accounts and they is taken in mind when paying pro athletes. Facebook / instagram unlike Google is not through intermediaries and sponsors directly go with the athlete or his agency.

as for hotels they will likely accept you for free and give out compliments but rarely pay you per post unless you are the elite in your sphere like CR, Neymar, Messi or influencers like Odintsova, D’Amello sisters, Rae, Pons etc.

Giggsy13

Ten Hag seems to think he can come back into favour and Maguire has accepted the challenge.

I mean, it's possible, right? Maybe?
Let’s up the ante, how about McT, Maguire and Henderson all returning to the starting 11. Unbelievable that all 3 are set to stay,

PeteManic

Why would he go? Especially after seeing Jones at the club for 10 years doing nothing. I wouldn't go.

red.knight

What an absolutely pathetic outcome. I hope he doesn’t play at all this season with Utd and loses his place for the Euros.