Maguire | he stays!

Cloud7

What a wild ride it's been for him.. someone should create a timeline of all the prominent arguments made in his favour over the years.
If there's one thing you can say about Captain Harry in his time at United, it's always been someone else's fault and not his

GMoore23

I can't see us paying him to leave unless the club are complete idiots. He can stay as 4th CB or leave without a pay off via mutual agreement. Anything else and we're a laughing stock.
If he wants playing time, he can just take a pay cut elsewhere or else he can feck off. We're not a fecking charity.

Roboc7

He wants to leave, club wants him to go but no one is going to admit it. He’ll pretend he’s happy to stay so he can get a payoff as well as a transfer, the club will make out they are happy to keep him as 4th choice to try and force him to accept a transfer without a payoff.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We're paying him £10m to leave? That must be one of the worst feelings ever.
He's got 2 years left on his contract right?

So if the 10 million is accurate United are actually saving 10 million that they won't have to pay him because that's roughly his annual salary

zacx

Sancho says hi. Antony hiding in the shadows. £250m worth of shockingly bad players. I know the Glazers are bad for club debt but never ever say they don't spend huge amounts of money.
are those money from their pocket??

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
are those money from their pocket??
Nope, not a penny. But they still spent huge amounts on players. Something that Gary Neville, and others, keep forgetting every six months.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So I guess Dalot signing anew contract consigns this tweet to the dustbin? Can we expect new contracts for Martial and Williams too, Mr Wheeler?
It is in doubt right after his renewal. When Ten Hag said "we should give Diogo a contract" he meant Diogo Costa not Dalot.

T_Model101

Am ambivalent about this, as I genuinely believe he'll bring in a half decent fee.
We paid the same to Sanchez and he left on a free

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ronaldo out, and potentially the club captain this summer. Erik takes no shit!
It’s great. Ronaldo made the situation untenable but the way Ten Hag dealt with it was impeccable.

Maguire should defo leave.I don’t have any personal dislike of him but he shouldn’t be at Utd and should never have been club captain ffs.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Sancho says hi. Antony hiding in the shadows. £250m worth of shockingly bad players. I know the Glazers are bad for club debt but never ever say they don't spend huge amounts of money.
What's those two got to do with Maguire?

He's had three/four years to demonstrate his ability while apparently in the peak of his career.

He's done nothing.

Judas

Open to offers
He’s not awful and he’ll prove that when he leaves and plays at a team more his level and suited to his strengths. It’s for everyone’s benefit he leaves.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wouldn’t surprise me if this is a leak to let him know he needs to go. No way are we actually paying him to leave

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
You signed Darwin Poonez for 100m. You’re in no position to say anything.

cheekybackheel

The transfer market is completely fecked up and we seem to be the biggest losers every single time.

How is it that Chelsea can ask for £60-80m for Mount because he's 'English' and yet we're here suggesting Maguire will be sold for £25m????

How is it that Spurs can ask for £90-100m for a 30yr old Kane, but again, we're suggesting that a 30yr old, England Captain, is only worth £25m???

We should be slapping a minimum of £40-50m on Maguire. He's English, he's 30, an International player and a captain.

If its Good enough for every other club to do it to us when buying, then it's good enough for us to do it to other clubs when we sell.

Eric_the_Red99

The transfer market is completely fecked up and we seem to be the biggest losers every single time.

How is it that Chelsea can ask for £60-80m for Mount because he's 'English' and yet we're here suggesting Maguire will be sold for £25m????

How is it that Spurs can ask for £90-100m for a 30yr old Kane, but again, we're suggesting that a 30yr old, England Captain, is only worth £25m???

We should be slapping a minimum of £40-50m on Maguire. He's English, he's 30, an International player and a captain.

If its Good enough for every other club to do it to us when buying, then it's good enough for us to do it to other clubs when we sell.
Probably because his perceived value has been driven down by United (as well as by United fans and football fans in general), and football clubs generally don’t spend money unless they need to.

If Maguire had been used in the same way as Lindelof this season (and to be honest, there’s not really much difference between the two in terms of their performances this season), ie not a first choice CB but still an important back-up, I suspect that there would be PL clubs putting in offers for him. As things are, if ETH doesn’t trust Maguire enough to play him even when his two first choice CBs are injured, why should any other club think it’s a good idea to spend money on him? There are definitely some PL managers who would love to have Maguire, but they’re not going to spend money they don’t need to when United are so clearly eager to offload him.

MegadrivePerson

I'll give you some clues

Harry Kane has just scored 30 league goals.

Mount was Chelsea's best player between 2020 and 2022.

Maguire is a total laughing stock, on massive wages and is more likely to lose a game than win a game for his team.

Give me some realistic teams that would pay £40/50 million for Maguire?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Maguire should leave, but a lot of people here forget the contribution he made at United. Maguire came in (and we overpaid) and was largely solid and everpresent for several seasons. This was off the back of a period where we had struggled to get any kind of consistency in defence post-Rio/Vidic, and seemed to be signing a new CB every summer.

Maguire and De Gea have never been a good fit for a modern team. Fine if you are playing a low block and relying on counterattacks, but neither are any good if you want to play a high line. I don’t think Maguire is actually bad on the ball at all, he just has awful mobility and agility.

Ultimately he should move on (as should De Gea). If he goes to a mid table PL club who are content to sit deep, he will do well. Unfortunately there aren’t many of those sides left around in the Prem nowadays.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Does your negotiation strategy also involve threatening the other DoF at gun point?

MegadrivePerson

Ultimately he should move on (as should De Gea). If he goes to a mid table PL club who are content to sit deep, he will do well. Unfortunately there aren’t many of those sides left around in the Prem nowadays.
Everton under Dyche would be a good move all round. They are skint though.

Kaos

Maguire should leave, but a lot of people here forget the contribution he made at United. Maguire came in (and we overpaid) and was largely solid and everpresent for several seasons. This was off the back of a period where we had struggled to get any kind of consistency in defence post-Rio/Vidic, and seemed to be signing a new CB every summer.

Maguire and De Gea have never been a good fit for a modern team. Fine if you are playing a low block and relying on counterattacks, but neither are any good if you want to play a high line. I don’t think Maguire is actually bad on the ball at all, he just has awful mobility and agility.

Several seasons? Think you're overselling him. He had a decent first season and that was about it. For half his time here he's been a complete liability.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Several seasons? Think you're overselling him. He had a decent first season and that was about it. For half his time here he's been a complete liability.
Say what you will, but after Rio and Vidic left, we went through Jones, Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof (and im probably missing others) before Maguire came in and largely settled things. His issue is the same as De Gea's, which is that he just doesnt work in modern, high line systems. For me, he deserves a bit more respect than what the fans here show him - although I agree its time for him to leave and we should try to cash in.

AFC NimbleThumb

Say it louder.

The way his career is rewritten by some as a demise is a prime example of how people fail to admit how wrong they were when we signed him.

His first season was good at best, he then had multiple examples in lockdown of beginning to basically playing for the opposition. Manhandling Shaw against Spurs, making Stanislas look like Messi against Bournemouth, keeping the Southampton attack onside whilst everyone else stepped up.

He was never going to be worth the £80mm l we paid, I made peace with that the day he signed but he’s been a horrendous signing. If fans had as much patience with someone like Rashford as they did with this guy we’d never question any players.

He never should have gotten the captaincy, epitomises everything that has been wrong with us in recent years. From his own words he sees no issue with his play.

scottser

Say it louder.

The way his career is rewritten by some as a demise is a prime example of how people fail to admit how wrong they were when we signed him.

His first season was good at best, he then had multiple examples in lockdown of beginning to basically playing for the opposition. Manhandling Shaw against Spurs, making Stanislas look like Messi against Bournemouth, keeping the Southampton attack onside whilst everyone else stepped up.

He was never going to be worth the £80mm l we paid, I made peace with that the day he signed but he’s been a horrendous signing. If fans had as much patience with someone like Rashford as they did with this guy we’d never question any players.

He never should have gotten the captaincy, epitomises everything that has been wrong with us in recent years. From his own words he sees no issue with his play.
Your last sentence is the essence of it.
Pretty much every player in the squad has improved under ETH except Maguire. It's like none of the coaches have worked with him on his sprinting, positioning, tackling or ball control in the past 12 months. I just find it bizarre that a pro athlete doesn't want to improve himself and is allowed to phone it in on 200 large per week.

Kaos

Say what you will, but after Rio and Vidic left, we went through Jones, Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof (and im probably missing others) before Maguire came in and largely settled things. His issue is the same as De Gea's, which is that he just doesnt work in modern, high line systems. For me, he deserves a bit more respect than what the fans here show him - although I agree its time for him to leave and we should try to cash in.
Lindelof is clearly the better defender as he's proven recently without the handicap of playing next to Maguire, a prime Blind would have also been a very good fit in this current side instead of him, a fit Phil Jones too arguably.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Isn't that 10 mil payment loyalty bonus? Something which every player gets if he leaves during the contract?

Robbie Boy

I can't wait to see the back of him. Absolutely horrendous signing, which was blatantly obvious at the time.

OrcaFat

How much will we get for him?

He was excellent until the Greece episode (or thereabouts). Suits a defensive styled team as per Southgate’s England. Underrated on the ball imo. Him, Shaw and Rashford were decent down the left.

Who are the takers, given his salary?