Maguire | he stays!

prateik

Lloris is leaving .. Maybe we can send them Henderson too..

skc_18

It was always a worry wrt to the mentality and ambition of the players we have. In that sense, I respect Dean Henderson to take a loan move although I feel he was silly not talking to Eth before the loan deal.

Maguire is not a starting defender anymore at the club and if rumors about new CB are true then he wont be in the backup as well meaning might not be in the match squad itself. He should be the one forcing the move to a different club instead of staying here and getting a pay check.

I am not sure if United would accept a fee of 10-20 million and dont think clubs would be interested in paying 30-40 million for him. My prediction is he would either take a season-long loan to another club or be used as part of signing another player like Rice/Kane.

skc_18

Without a doubt.
It was clever management not changing captain immediately, or even mid season as it'd just be a really destructive blow.

But you need your captain to be playing the majority of the games. So Bruno/Casemiro or someone need to be the choice.

A "club captain" is a different thing. That can be someone who doesn't play as much as they used to, like a mid 30s Robbo etc, but Maguire shouldn't be either.
How about Shaw for captaincy. Always in squad and gives his 100%. IMO referees tend to give less cards to the captains so might help him in getting less yellow cards now :)

Bruno is always moaning on the field about something or other, I feel at some stage we will see more of our players arguing with him on the field.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lindelöf out before Maguire please!
Would always have agreed with you, but I think Maguire's mistake locker has become so high now, that Lindelof is legitimately ahead of him.
He's a bit fragile and definitely shouldn't be a starter, but probably a pretty good option for the difficult 3rd choice position.

You really can't have your captain and 80m signing as a bench option. Really needs to go this summer for everyone's sake.

Alfie092

Would always have agreed with you, but I think Maguire's mistake locker has become so high now, that Lindelof is legitimately ahead of him.
He's a bit fragile and definitely shouldn't be a starter, but probably a pretty good option for the difficult 3rd choice position.

You really can't have your captain and 80m signing as a bench option. Really needs to go this summer for everyone's sake.
Both should go if it was down to me! Both poor players who would not make the team for the best teams around the world.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Both should go if it was down to me! Both poor players who would not make the team for the best teams around the world.
With Varane getting a few niggles here and there, you need someone solid for 3rd choice.
To think we're going to get someone better than Lindelof, in a summer we desperately need a striker and another centre mid option is unlikely.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's in line for a potential 10m payoff. He's not going to say he wants to leave.

glasgow 21

It was always a worry wrt to the mentality and ambition of the players we have. In that sense, I respect Dean Henderson to take a loan move although I feel he was silly not talking to Eth before the loan deal.

Maguire is not a starting defender anymore at the club and if rumors about new CB are true then he wont be in the backup as well meaning might not be in the match squad itself. He should be the one forcing the move to a different club instead of staying here and getting a pay check.

I am not sure if United would accept a fee of 10-20 million and dont think clubs would be interested in paying 30-40 million for him. My prediction is he would either take a season-long loan to another club or be used as part of signing another player like Rice/Kane.
If I am right then his balance asset number is 26.7m Sale+Amort = 21.8 so anything more than 4.9m will balance the books. You add on 10m ,get to france money, you looking at anything above 14.9m being a net gain in the Balance sheet. Now if we can't get at least 25m for an England starting international then really Southgate and the media love ins have serious questions to be asked of them.

whitbyviking

Do a lot of these Twitter accounts read the caf and then regurgitate the “news”?

Seems the case on many of the main topics in here. You read something in a thread and then shortly after it appears on some United Twitter account as an update :lol:

pascell

Do a lot of these Twitter accounts read the caf and then regurgitate the “news”?

Seems the case on many of the main topics in here. You read something in a thread and then shortly after it appears on some United Twitter account as an update :lol:
Yes, because many on here will lap it up as gospel.

Erik the Red

Maguire is actually not a bad defender. He is good in one on one situations, with the play in front of him. Where he struggles is against particularly quick players, and with his distribution. Both of these issues are highlighted in ETH's style of play. Keeping a high line exposes his lack of pace, and playing out from the back is not in his skill set either. For a team playing a low block with a counter-attacking style, he is one of the best in the business. If he goes to the right club he could do very well.

This situation just highlights our lack of continuity. Barcelona have many faults, but they always play the same style, so when a new manager comes in, he has the right players for that style. Going from one extreme to the other has meant that we have the wrong group of players to suit a particular manager's style. Hopefully we will give ETH long enough to sort our this mess and properly implement his style with the best players for that style, and future managers will be selected based on their ability to manage a team playing a similar style.

scottser

Maguire is actually not a bad defender. He is good in one on one situations, with the play in front of him. Where he struggles is against particularly quick players, and with his distribution. Both of these issues are highlighted in ETH's style of play. Keeping a high line exposes his lack of pace, and playing out from the back is not in his skill set either. For a team playing a low block with a counter-attacking style, he is one of the best in the business. If he goes to the right club he could do very well.

This situation just highlights our lack of continuity. Barcelona have many faults, but they always play the same style, so when a new manager comes in, he has the right players for that style. Going from one extreme to the other has meant that we have the wrong group of players to suit a particular manager's style. Hopefully we will give ETH long enough to sort our this mess and properly implement his style with the best players for that style, and future managers will be selected based on their ability to manage a team playing a similar style.
Granted, he has a limited skill set. But I would wager that any of us here in our given profession have to upskill at various stages in our careers, so why hasn't he? He's had time to work on his sprinting and distribution but neither has improved. Its like he has a box and won't move out of it, so his limitations are on him alone. As everyone on here points out, very few teams want that particular skill set now. It would be a real insult if we paid him off - let him go to Saudi for a year instead.

Alfie092

Strange conclusion if you’ve watched our last few games
I don’t make judgements based off a few games. And if I was to make a judgement off a few games, look how he messed up in the FA Cup final for the first goal!

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Maguire is actually not a bad defender. He is good in one on one situations.
Nope he's an awful defender no need sugar coating it, he can't sprint to save his life, too slow at doing anything, the only thing he's decent at is airily and you claiming he's good at 1v1's situations is pure hyperbole by so doing taking the piss at those who saw Borja turn him inside out or the many other occasion he's been dribbled.

Shinjch

I know that we are all very keen to get rid of him, and getting him off the books this summer would be a success. But if Spurs are interested in him, as the reporting suggests, we should be charging them a premium if they want to sign him. Purely because it's them/Levy.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Royal, Maguire, Dier, Sanchez, Romero, Porro, Lenglet.
Spurs quietly building a treble-winning defense :eek:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If he's in a back 3 and the CBs are fast enough to cover for him, he will be a good signing for someone.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Postecoglou likes to play high risk, high line football that leaves his two CBs exposed and defending in space. He also is known for savviness in the market, unearthing lesser known players rather than big names.

Is there a player on the planet he is less likely to want than Harry Maguire?

reddev3

Kane is definitely coming to Utd if he's recommending Maguire to Levy.

Leg-End

£40 million, but for you Mr Levy a special deal, £80 million.

Jeffthered

Lindelöf out before Maguire please!
Lindelof deserves to stay , he has been very good since Martinez injury, both performances and attitude. A good squad player, I think he'll be better next season as he's more confident of his role.