Maguire | he stays!

ash_86

Man doesn't take the hint. 80M defender satisfied with few minutes at the end. He should leave while he still have takers.

L1nk

What place? Even Lindelof is ahead of you now

Ole'sgunnarwin

Lingard stayed because of his wages, why shouldn't Maguire? When this club is stupid enough to get these average players on huge wages, we can't expect anything less. I'm 90% sure Maguire will be here next season. Why would any club go near him?

saivet

Feck off

If true, I think it's related to his ego and that there aren't any CL clubs in for him. He might think there will be enough games to get some appearances and cement his place in the team, similar to how Lindelof did towards the end of this season.

I still think he'll go though, doesn't make sense for him to stay, as he'd be effectively hoping there is an injury crisis where he plays himself into the team. He's probably safe with Southgate for the time being but if another English CB (not sure who that would be) has an excellent season, he could lose his place in the England starting XI too.

Kaos

What place? Even Lindelof is ahead of you now
Think we've been too nice to him. ETH needs to tell him quite candidly he's not going to be captain and will likely not be getting any minutes.

Maybe if that bellend Southgate would stop picking him too, it might light a fire up under his arse to move.

cyberman

Maguire can feck right off. Ill think as less of him as I did De Jong last summer

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He might be reluctant now but I heard read Ten Hag is due to speak to the players about their futures and the chat might give Maguire his formal stance with the manager. After this I'd imagine he'd agree to move.

scottser

Another PL team would be mad to sign Maguire. He'd be better off in Saudi, where at least the massive wage might be some small comfort to him in his autumn years.

Abraxas

It wouldn't be too surprising, really. Some of our mediocre players are on very high wages. Maguire isn't the only one, we have Martial who in an ideal world would have been dispatched abroad ages ago. We're relying on Maguire wanting guaranteed football in order to shift him. That's the problem. These players have to agree to a massive step down in profile of club and wages for that guarantee, when on the other side of the coin is a squad place, and high wages. It's not so clear cut for the players depending on what they value.

Christ there are second choice keepers that make a career out of doing feck all. It's not all about a relentless pursuance of first team football for some individuals. I have to admit Maguire didn't strike me as someone to sit around, but who knows.

Zed 101

Joke really if true, he is already below Lindelof in the pecking order... money aside I do kind of feel sorry for Maguire, and can understand why he would want to fight to prove his doubters wrong, but he would be in a better position to do this at another club which suits his skillset, maybe even in Italy, and good luck to him, I really hope he moves and reignites his career.

Xaviboy

Ffs. He ain't getting a game full stop at the club.

Love to see us sign CB just to show him your even further down the list.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Punish him for been professional about his position and accepting a squad role?

This place is laughable some times.
That is not punishment. One of the reasons why we suck in selling players is that we don't "push" them to leave.
If ETH doesn't count on him, he must be clear to Harry about it. If he says to Harry that he will need to fight for his place and that he will remain as captain, then of course Harry will stay.
But if ETH says to him; "You will be 5th choice no matter what and you will not be a captain", then Harry will think twice will he stay or not.

McTerminator

Lingard stayed because of his wages, why shouldn't Maguire? When this club is stupid enough to get these average players on huge wages, we can't expect anything less. I'm 90% sure Maguire will be here next season. Why would any club go near him?
If Spurs offer £40m and £100k per week we could just pay him £10m to go and he has lost nothing.

£30m in the bank and Maguire gone… why don’t we do these simple things.

Honestly could not hate the Glazers and what they have done to this club any more than I do already.

Halftrack

That is not punishment. One of the reasons why we suck in selling players is that we don't "push" them to leave.
If ETH doesn't count on him, he must be clear to Harry about it. If he says to Harry that he will need to fight for his place and that he will remain as captain, then of course Harry will stay.
But if ETH says to him; "You will be 5th choice no matter what and you will not be a captain", then Harry will think twice will he stay or not.
Putting them in the reserves is what you do after you've told them they're surplus and they're still turning down potential moves.

If no one wants him, what's shoving him in the resereves going to accomplish? It comes across as just wanting him punished for the sake of it.

Punish him for been professional about his position and accepting a squad role?

This place is laughable some times.
It’s letting him know that he’s not needed and surplus to requirements, loads of clubs do it it’s not that big of a deal. If he wants to play then he can push for a move. Simple.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm going play devils advocate here. Why should Maguire take a step down just because it suits the club?

We gave him that contract. We made him club captain. Maybe he feels that he is a better player than he's shown recently and he feels he could fight to win his place back.

My personal view is that he wont manage to achieve that, but I also don't think he should get even more criticism for refusing to abandon a contract that we offered him.

Eplel

My personal view is that he wont manage to achieve that, but I also don't think he should get even more criticism for refusing to abandon a contract that we offered him.

It would be in his own benefit, if he wants to still have a career after United.

DevTheRed

With the way he talks about himself I just can’t see him staying. He seems to be so far up his own a*se in some interviews that I can’t see him accepting a squad role.. especially in this stage of his career.

daba

I'm going play devils advocate here. Why should Maguire take a step down just because it suits the club?

We gave him that contract. We made him club captain. Maybe he feels that he is a better player than he's shown recently and he feels he could fight to win his place back.

Because if he has another season of playing only 10 league games he massively risks his spot in the England starting XI.

crossy1686

career ending
Because if he has another season of playing only 10 league games he massively risks his spot in the England starting XI.
The problem with that is, who replaces him? The only reason he's in the England squad in the first place is because there's no one to challenge for his position. England are super light at CB.

gajender

It would be in his own benefit, if he wants to still have a career after United.
Very much this , his game time was limited this season it could get even more restricted going forward and if insist to stick around he could very well find himself struggling to get new Employer post United offering him decent wages .

And suddenly his gambit to play hard ball with United could have long term financial implications for him as well not just United , he would do very well to keep that in mind not to mention losing his England spot which would come under serious threat soon enough .

Idxomer

The club is always too soft with those players, this needs to change.

RuudTom83

How many Managers has Harry had at the club now....4? Ole/Rangnick/Carrick and EtH. So he might just be thinking of playing the waiting game and hoping the next manager is a fan.

That's if you believe the latest round of tweets...2 days ago it was United will give him 10 million to leave, then it was Spurs who wanted him, now its Harry wants to stay...so take your pick as to what to believe.

Sylar

TBF, hes still being picked by England regardless of that.

He probably thinks United will get injuries and he will get some time here and there (which is what happened last season).

scottser

Putting them in the reserves is what you do after you've told them they're surplus and they're still turning down potential moves.

If no one wants him, what's shoving him in the resereves going to accomplish? It comes across as just wanting him punished for the sake of it.
Yeah, we're not quite at the stage where he's shoved into the reserves just yet. I expect it's been made abundantly clear that there's no point in staying to 'fight for his place' so there's some obvious face saving going on. To me, it seems as if he's just looking for a payoff or wage protection for what will be his last contract. understandable, but it makes him look really petty. it's not as if he has any real gravitas at the club any more and his sense of self-worth is way out of kilter with the PL market. If he stays, he would command absolutely no respect from anyone at the club.

tomaldinho1

With the way he talks about himself I just can’t see him staying. He seems to be so far up his own a*se in some interviews that I can’t see him accepting a squad role.. especially in this stage of his career.
The issue is exacerbated because Southgate is such a wet blanket and won’t pick players on form and Maguire’s England place has been basically guaranteed so far. So if losing his England place hasn’t happened despite playing sweet F all, Maguire probably has no CL clubs in for him, the prospect of taking a massive salary cut and uprooting his family from where they’ve lived for a while now. To be honest, I’d do what he’s doing.

mikeyt

Cannot stand him, not only is he shite and arrogant, he'd also rather collect the pay cheque than play. It's on the club, don't get me wrong but there was me thinking I couldn't dislike him anymore.

LInkash

Another PL team would be mad to sign Maguire. He'd be better off in Saudi, where at least the massive wage might be some small comfort to him in his autumn years.
The guy isn't even good enough for the Saudi's to consider a bid
Yeah, he's a worldwide meme, I don't think Saudi would want to be associated with him, would be embarrassing for them.

Kaos

TBF, hes still being picked by England regardless of that.

He probably thinks United will get injuries and he will get some time here and there (which is what happened last season).
I mean there were points we had both our first choice CBs out, and he still didn't get a sniff, outside of some sub appearances in the last 10 minutes when we setup shop.

I mean the fact the manager would rather play Luke Shaw out of position ahead of a fit Maguire should tell him everything he needs to know about where he stands in the pecking order. Hopefully Southgate's recent comments about him at risk of losing his England place aren't a bluff, and it propels him to actually move for his career.

As unlikely as it is, I do hope we sign Kim Mim Jae before he leaves, then and maybe then any delusional hope he might have had of fighting for his place disappears, but sadly it seems we're unlikely to make the signing until Maguire fecks off.