Maguire | he stays!

mikeyt

Genuinely hate the self delusion this guy is under
For those that still defend Maguire, this is why he continues to completely alienate the fanbase, even when he's not actually fecking up on the pitch. I think I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said 'I'm on £200k a week, no-one else is going to pay me that, I still play for England so I don't give a toss about being 5th choice'.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Don’t particularly see the point in loaning him from our point of view if I’m honest. After the keeper (and hopefully a striker) it will be sell to buy for us this summer it seems. So unless we can get a centre back ourselves on loan it doesn’t seem to work.
I suppose its 100k at least off your wage book and a good chance he'd perform well enough to get a decent wedge later on given his style would suit west Ham.

At this rate its looking like either accepting West Ham or just letting him stay there. I know our new head recruiter wants Jonathon Tah and had great relationship with him and we've been linked with other CBs as well so I'm not sure Maguire is our only plan.

With ffp the way it is at West Ham I don't think we will want to go crazy on a defender this summer, I think 20m is our limit on that front as we have large gaps to fill with that Rice money.

edgecutter

Until some club that is stupid enough to offer him a 3 year deal at 200k a week he is going nowhere. You can't blame him, none of us here would leave a highly paid job if we were in the same situation. It's down to the club to make the happen and make a wage contribution to get him out.

Edit: feck woodward

Roboc7

He's 5th choice.

Surely he can't be happy with that? Especially with an international tournament next Summer.
Maybe being 5th choice will help him keep his England place, if he goes to West Ham and plays crap it gets dropped then that is worse.

He should be desperate to leave but doesn’t appear to be, unless there are injuries he’ll hard play especially as it’s unlikely we will play as many games in all competitions as last season.

zenith

He's quite a stubborn guy and not in a good way. The quality ahead of him at CB is of a far higher degree means he will remain 5th choice. I'd hate to see non toxic players being pushed out by the club but if that's what is needed and should be done.

Maybe the first thing is to choose a new captain and have the armband reflect a true leader of the squad

ThanksBoss26

I suppose its 100k at least off your wage book and a good chance he'd perform well enough to get a decent wedge later on given his style would suit west Ham.

At this rate its looking like either accepting West Ham or just letting him stay there. I know our new head recruiter wants Jonathon Tah and had great relationship with him and we've been linked with other CBs as well so I'm not sure Maguire is our only plan.

With ffp the way it is at West Ham I don't think we will want to go crazy on a defender this summer, I think 20m is our limit on that front as we have large gaps to fill with that Rice money.
I think he’ll stay - I was expecting more of a desire from him to move on this summer but by all accounts, the opposite seems the case.

ThanksBoss26

He's quite a stubborn guy and not in a good way. The quality ahead of him at CB is of a far higher degree means he will remain 5th choice. I'd hate to see non toxic players being pushed out by the club but if that's what is needed and should be done.

Maybe the first thing is to choose a new captain and have the armband reflect a true leader of the squad
Be interesting to see what, if anything, we do with the captaincy.

CallyRed

Season long loan with a compulsory purchase of 52.5m and he's yours Moysie.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He isn't '5th' choice. He's 2nd or 3rd at right CB behind the unreliable Varane, up against the average at best Lindelof. The idea that he's miles from a starting spot for us isn't exactly true.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
With what we've got to solve this summer we aren't spending that sort of money believe me.

If I was a betting man this will end up being a loan to buy job, maybe 25 million at the end of the loan if it suits.

It us a Moyes style buy, but high chance he won't be here next year and that will factor into things.

Edit - paqueta is not on that much, its about 130k. I think we'd go to about 120k for Maguire due to his experience.
You’ve just gotten 105m for Declan Rice, I’d be surprised if we let you get away with pulling an Italian style turn-your-pockets-out, ‘loan but promise we’ll definitely buy him’ act. We need cash now, so it’ll be up front if he does go.

CM

With what we've got to solve this summer we aren't spending that sort of money believe me.

If I was a betting man this will end up being a loan to buy job, maybe 25 million at the end of the loan if it suits.

It us a Moyes style buy, but high chance he won't be here next year and that will factor into things.

Edit - paqueta is not on that much, its about 130k. I think we'd go to about 120k for Maguire due to his experience.
The point about Moyes is a good one, but I do think most managers would still pick Maguire at West Ham if he was available to them.

I've only seen West Ham being linked to Maguire, McTominay and Zakaria this summer. Who else are you being linked to that makes you think you won't spend big on individual players, out of interest?

-Supreme-

I think he'll be much better without DDG in goal, not saying he'll start every game but he'll be given 1 last year to see
His lack of agility and pace in 1v1 situations will be more visible when we are expected to play a higher line this season without DDG in goal.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
You’ve just gotten 105m for Declan Rice, I’d be surprised if we let you get away with pulling an Italian style turn-your-pockets-out, ‘loan but promise we’ll definitely buy him’ act. We need cash now, so it’ll be up front if he does go.
We are on UFEA watch list and we have alot of gaps that that 100 is going to need to fill (probably a CM, DM, LM, CB, maybe a striker). There is a reason why we haven't got anyone in yet, that 100m is most of our transfer budget, perhaps a little more for the right player if it comes to it.

youngrell

He isn't '5th' choice. He's 2nd or 3rd at right CB behind the unreliable Varane, up against the average at best Lindelof. The idea that he's miles from a starting spot for us isn't exactly true.
Yeah I was just going to say this. Neither Licha or Shaw are playing RCB so he’s basically got to try and oust Lindelof as the main backup to Varane.

Even if Varane manages to avoid injury, he will still be rested here and there to minimise the chances, so there’s definitely more playing opportunities than most are making out. I think it’s just wishful thinking on most fans parts.

I think the easiest way to make him consider pushing for a move is to change captain before the season starts. That will let him know exactly where he stands if he hasn’t realised already.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
The point about Moyes is a good one, but I do think most managers would still pick Maguire at West Ham if he was available to them.

I've only seen West Ham being linked to Maguire, McTominay and Zakaria this summer. Who else are you being linked to that makes you think you won't spend big on individual players, out of interest?
Several CM/DM types somewhere in the region of 30-45 million (Palhinha, James Ward Prowse, Alvarez, I'd put your very own McTominay towards the bottom of that range as well) Zakaria seems quite likely at this point as you say so Zakaria plus one of those above, probably an outlay between them of 50-60 million there. We are after another LM as Moyes wants a more direct goal scoring player there (thats why we were linked to Barnes, Newcastle did want him but thats gone dead) seems like we are budgeting 25-40 million there as well and then another CB to rotate/start for/with Zouma and Aguerd.

Maguire would IMO fit into that last category, and personally I can see some real merit to him coming here, but I don't think we have the budget for silly money, our budget for all the other options back there (Luiz, Tah) is somewhere in the 20 million range. I think that gives you a rough ballpark of what West Ham can spend in that position, 20, maybe 25 at a real push. I suspect the wages might be a bigger stumbling block mind you.

A loan to buy however and given our FFP position will be better next year with more Rice money AND higher profit in 2023 vs 2019 (which is currently counted due to Covid) means that 20 million might stretch to 30 next year instead, so it probably makes sense for Man Utd as well financially, to get more a little later on.

Lyng

Linde fits the team and has been quite good under Ten Hag. Maguire is like De Gea in that he prevents us from playing how our manager wants us to.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd rather demote him to the U23s for the season if we cannot force a sale. If we get desperate over the course of the season he's here. Pointless going on a heavily subsidised loan to West Ham only to get him back next season.

Kaos

So what happens midway through the season when it's clear he still has no chance of breaking back into the team? Does he ask for a move in January? Or do we do the whole dance again next summer where he starts getting private training sessions with John Terry and insists he's going to fight for his place.

Are we going to be stuck in this purgatory until his contract expires?

Guess it all depends on whether Southgate keeps picking him for Ingerlund.

bdspeedy

Martinez > Varane > Lindelof > Shaw > Maguire. I'd almost prefer to keep Bailey who I rate as a better, faster player aside from the occasional brain fade. Maguire has all the pace of an oil tanker with a wider turning radius.

Borussia Teeth

He's third choice right cb and fourth choice left cb. I very much doubt he will play a lot next season. I think we're stuck with him this summer. It will be interesting to see what Southgate does. Maguire may get over his delusion and push for a move in January if Southgate actually drops him for England heading into the Euros.

foolsgold

Don't be coming on here with your realistic, factual assessment of the situation. It's not going to be popular.

cyberman

He's third choice right cb and fourth choice left cb. I very much doubt he will play a lot next season. I think we're stuck with him this summer. It will be interesting to see what Southgate does. Maguire may get over his delusion and push for a move in January if Southgate actually drops him for England heading into the Euros.
Yep, we’ve already seen Shaw is ahead of him. Anything else is nonsense. If you’re third choice behind in a position then you’re nowhere near the starting 11

Based Adnan

He played 17 games worth of minutes last season with most of them coming early on

I don't believe for a second that he genuinely thinks he can fight his way back into the team. He's either posturing for a payoff or happy to sit on his contract.

prateik

He would want regular minutes ahead of the Euros next summer. A loan would mean he comes back next summer happy to sit it out..
Permanent move please .. wherever he wants to go.

Hammondo

He played 17 games worth of minutes last season with most of them coming early on

I don't believe for a second that he genuinely thinks he can fight his way back into the team. He's either posturing for a payoff or happy to sit on his contract.
We had a lot of injuries at the back unfortunately.

saivet

I think his ego is too big for him to accept a move to West Ham. If Spurs were seriously interested, I think he'd entertain a move there but it looks a bit embarrassing to go from Man Utd captain to West Ham.

I could see him staying, Southgate drops him and a move happens in January.