Maguire | he stays!

MrBest

No team that defends deep will break their wage structure to incorporate 30 years old CB on 200k per week.

In order for that to happen(we receive a valuation of 30-40m) Maguire has to accept a serious pay cut (probably around half of his current wage), and I can’t see that happening.

we should take a hit and move on from him, otherwise you have someone on 200k doing cameo performances in which everyone on the pitch and in the stands will be shitting their pants when they see him on.

Especially when we finally brought a ball playing keeper and the plan is most likely to build from the back.
I hear you on him staying at United for 200k a week, especially as 4th choice cb but that's a historical issue that takes a bit of time to get ironed out.

I dont see West Ham or any other team giving him 200k a week regardless of the fee. For him it's either stay at dont play or move and take a wage cut. Euros are next year, we will see what's important to him. A few million or gaining some respect back into his career. I do see West Ham paying 100 to 150k a week for him, but I've no evidence to back that up and purely an assumption. He would do well there.

MrBest

He also didn't really shine through his time with Ole. We overpaid absurdly for him, he was a 50 million player after a good season for Leicester. By now, his star has fallen quite a bit and he is on big wages. Nobody knows, if its just confidence or something deeper. It hurts, looking at the money burned but the mistake happend those years ago. I'd take 25 and have that chapter done. Good for everybody involved.
Different styles of play, that made him look good at Leicester. I wouldn't have even paid 50m for him, we got ripped off but we could all probably highlight a lot of deals like that over the last 10 years. Fair play on ending the chapter, wouldn't disagree but I also wouldn't throw the towel in yet. West Ham have money, the window is still open for 4 weeks and I hope there bid will spark a few more. I saw on twitter that potentially 5 Seria A clubs want him too, then again they don't have money. Let's see, I'd be happy for him to go, but given our financial constraints, I think holding for a larger fee than 20m is the right thing. Maybe 25m is the bit that makes us say yes.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s not £20 million though is it?

It’s £20 million + the massive salary he’s on.
If he was paid in relation to his market value then he’d be on £70k a week and clubs would be offering £40 million.
He won’t leave to take a pay cut and his wages align with a player with a market value of £80 million and that wage depresses his market price.
Though I do think £20 million was shy of the mark and that WH were trying it on and will up their offer.
It depends on how much he values playing time.

On his valuation, he isn’t and never has been a poor player. You can argue he isn’t Man Utd elite standard (whatever that means)or that he has declined but there is no way he is a £20m player. He instantly becomes WH best defender, and they have to value him as such. This first offer is a disgrace and a waste of everybody’s time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He has devolved to a meme but 20m is still an insulting bid
Is it really though? If that's subject to them taking him, wages and all with no subsidisation from us, it works out as a better deal than £30m+ plus subsidy. Jackpot is the higher fee plus a clean break, but that's most likely pie in the sky stuff.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I actually think one of Maguire biggest problems has already been resolved - De Gea. The two of them never worked together due to their collective weaknesses.

I think with a proper sweeper like Onana behind him, Maguire would look better.

That said, I realise it’s all probably too late and it’s probably best for all parties now if he just moves on.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham

On his valuation, he isn’t and never has been a poor player. You can argue he isn’t Man Utd elite standard (whatever that means)or that he has declined but there is no way he is a £20m player. He instantly becomes WH best defender, and they have to value him as such. This first offer is a disgrace and a waste of everybody’s time.
I've seen several people discussing that he'd be instantly the best at West Ham. So I thought I'd run the stats. Maguire last season came in a little ahead of Zouma overall on average but a little worse than Aguerd when looked at per 90 mins. Basically they are about at the same level.

If Moyes wants to shift to a 3 at the back than Magiure makes sense, he is a clear upgrade on Ogbonna who'd likely be on that role. Itd allow Moyes to not need a true DM either.

Otherwise, no, Maguire is not a clear upgrade, or at least not enough to warrant a total package outlay Nearing £60m...

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC

I agree entirely.
I think that he’s worth at least £40 million and that he’d be sold quickly at that . . were it not for the facts that he won’t take a pay cut (why should he?) and that his salary is way beyond the budget of the kind of clubs who would want him as a regular first team player.
My best guess is that WH will be willing to pay a lot more than their initial offer if Utd are willing to pay Maguire off to subsidise his drop in income at WH . . If WH can settle with Harry at £50k a week then they’ll be quick to stump up £40 million + because he’s worth that and more if he can fit into a sub top 6 wage structure.

Hammondo

If that's true we will get higher bids.

NZT-One

Beg to differ. He was mostly excellent through his first two seasons with us and it was almost unanimously felt on the Caf that his injury before the Europa League final was the reason we did not win.
Interesting, I can only say I wasn't under that impression. I'd give you that he looked pretty good in the 1st half of the first season and iirc he ended his first year with an overall good to very good season but excellent seems like big push to me. I think, the calamities started to appear in season 2 after all the Greece hassle (or was that in season 1?). That being said, I've learned not to give too much weight on such wording like excellent or very good - I am not the most enthusiastic person so better not to argue about that.
I also can't really remember that his injury was used as some sort of explanation for the EL loss. I mean, we didn't manage to score against this lot (or not more than once at least) when we were player for player the better team. Having Maguire or not wouldn't have changed that at all. But I guess, it has been turbulent times back then with Ole wars in full flow.

He was fine when called upon last year and has looked good so far in pre season, not to mention his continuing good form at International level. He would instantly be West Hams best defender by some margin should they sign him and the same applies to a whole host of clubs including Tottenham and Villa. His asking price at 40M is clearly a starting point for negotiations but he is worth 30M to 35M easily and we would be mugs to sell him for less, particularly when we would then have to turn around and replace him.
Being fine and looking good in three pre season games isn't a lot... He is a CB who was at fault for multiple clangers, people will always remember such an incident longer than him "being fine" in a few outings here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sh** on the player. I am happy to watch him resurrect his player carreer. But his time for us is done, he is on wages nobody would pay him and the manager doesn't really value him. He is also not at all something that you would call a modern CB. He has a reputation to be able to cause irritation and he seems to have a pretty bad ability to judge his own limitations. That isn't a great combination. If we keep him for another year because we insist on 5 million, we might even get less next summer.

edit: the take with "he becomes instantly Westhams best defender" - I don't think I'd buy that. The guy hasn't played a lot last year, has still received some flak (even if some of it might have been overly harsh), the season before was really bad (reasons are not of interest for buyers today) and the season before the problems started. So who knows what kind of player he actually is today? I'd be not so sure about him being even the player we bought from Leicester. He was limited already back then. But now he is even older and his confidence is shot (at least it should be, if he has such a high opinion of himself, as some interviews suggest, he is in trouble...)

Loon

:lol:
West Ham bidding £20m for him is evidence Moyes has watched too many episodes of A PLACE IN THE SUN.

Abraxas

I think 35 million is probably my sweet spot for Maguire. Still feels semi optimistic. We're not getting 40 I don't think. We can always hope but the problem for mid table clubs is he isn't an investment opportunity. This expensive to maintain asset will be heading for retirement on the expiry of this next deal. So as much as current ability does add something to West Ham they'll be wary of overpaying.

35 is a profit on the books and may cover an up front fee on a competent replacement that's more suited to us. We have to consider that there's zero point selling him if we don't have a better option to replace him. Varane will not play all season so it's not a case of just selling him and then praying. We will need a 4th centre back option during a very long season.

croadyman

I think 35 million is probably my sweet spot for Maguire. Still feels semi optimistic. We're not getting 40 I don't think. We can always hope but the problem for mid table clubs is he isn't an investment opportunity. This expensive to maintain asset will be heading for retirement on the expiry of this next deal. So as much as current ability does add something to West Ham they'll be wary of overpaying.

35 is a profit on the books and may cover an up front fee on a competent replacement that's more suited to us. We have to consider that there's zero point selling him if we don't have a better option to replace him. Varane will not play all season so it's not a case of just selling him and then praying. We will need a 4th centre back option during a very long season.
£30m plus addons is most realistic

Djemba-Djemba

I actually think one of Maguire biggest problems has already been resolved - De Gea. The two of them never worked together due to their collective weaknesses.

I think with a proper sweeper like Onana behind him, Maguire would look better.

That said, I realise it’s all probably too late and it’s probably best for all parties now if he just moves on.
They did bring out the worst in each other.

Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression they weren't the best of pals. Wasn't there a leak at one point about how the Utd defenders preferred having Henderson in net that sounded like it came from Maguire?

OleGunnar20

£25m is fair for me, considering the wage he'll be demanding. We really don't need him hanging around as our 5th choice CB next season. Former Captain Maguire ..

Newstyle

He will not play more this upcoming season than last and his value will only decline. Hence, need to sell this summer. That said, I think 20m is too low now but next summer his true value might be 20m.

bringbackbebe

Maybe but there was no way the club were taking £20m for someone they paid £80m for
How much they paid for in the past won't matter unfortunately. Its how much is he worth right now? If we get 20-30m for him and get his wages off our books, we should sell him and get some young CB to play 4th choice.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He will be warming the bench next season. His presence at United speaks volumes of how disorganised and aimless we were in the transfer market. Almost farcical.

I think we've learnt our lesson now judging from the first-team players who have come in since ETH took over.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
He will be warming the bench next season. His presence at United speaks volumes of how disorganised and aimless we were in the transfer market. Almost farcical.

I think we've learnt our lesson now judging from the first-team players who have come in since ETH took over.
He won't be on the bench. He is 6th choice CB.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope we don't do any deals more than 60 million anymore. Maguire, Sancho and even Antony is underperformed. Buy players who has potential to do 80-100 million players rather who value keeps dropping.

babablue

Is he that &much* better than Zouma or Aguerd though as of this upcoming season? I mean he might be a little better, but he is 30, almost certainly on the start of a decline and on massive wages and then you want 30-40m on top.

It's a package of probably 50-60m.

Is he 50-60m better than West Ham starting defenders? Especially in context of our large midfield issues and a team that will need *large* changes the following year as players get too old/our of contract

And that's coming from someone who thinks he'd do well at West Ham.

The other factor is there is a good chance Moyes won't even be here the following season, he us I his last year of his contract and will need a very good season to stay on it seems, hence why Moyes is hell bent on "prem experience", players who can just slot in and don't need time to adjust. 50-60m package on a player who may not fit the next manager style at all...
Off topic, but what's the deal with West Ham and Moyes? It seems despite the conference win, West Ham are considering firing him?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Caf: Maguire is a donkey
Also Caf: £20m? That’s an insult to Maguire!
He's worth 30-40 as a CB, with his experience.

He can pass between the lines, carry the ball he would be suited to a 5 at the back team, or a 3 with protection in front.

I think in the right system he can really thrive, and he can go to a top 4-6 team comfortably, just not what United need.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Based on his England form and PL experience, he should cost 35-40m.

Add 10m for English tax

Deduct 10m for his high wage

Dedut 10m for his age (no re-sell value)

With all things considered I think he should worth 25-30m.

Enigma_87

You know who
I hear you on him staying at United for 200k a week, especially as 4th choice cb but that's a historical issue that takes a bit of time to get ironed out.

I dont see West Ham or any other team giving him 200k a week regardless of the fee. For him it's either stay at dont play or move and take a wage cut. Euros are next year, we will see what's important to him. A few million or gaining some respect back into his career. I do see West Ham paying 100 to 150k a week for him, but I've no evidence to back that up and purely an assumption. He would do well there.
Well if the fee is lower maybe they can keep up with his wages. It’s his last payday anyway, can’t see Saudi team in for him after this as he’s not that marketable so he would milk it and for him personally rightfully should as we were stupid enough to give him that contract.

Enigma_87

You know who
Somewhat contradictory statements there.
Why? As I said a lower fee would help them match the wages. We’ve seen it with a lot of players that changed clubs for below the market value as they were on high salary, old etc..

Danny feckin Ings is on 125k a week and you're telling me they'll only pay Maguire 100k :lol:. They can afford to match his wage if they really want him and they can certainly afford to pay more for him..
125k is not 200k though. It’s almost double.

GoldanoGraham

20 MILLION? Feck off. If it was us trying to buy one of their players we'd be starting at 70million
West Ham with a big Swag bag after selling Rice for extortionate fee go around low balling everyone for their players……might be a difficult transfer market for WH and Moysey!

Red_toad

Why? As I said a lower fee would help them match the wages. We’ve seen it with a lot of players that changed clubs for below the market value as they were on high salary, old etc..

125k is not 200k though. It’s almost double.
No double is 250k, not sure what math you're rocking but it's wrong and Ings isn't their top earner, he's not a current England international, plus he's also older than Maguire.

Enigma_87

You know who
No double is 250k, not sure what math you're rocking but it's wrong and Ings isn't their top earner, he's not a current England international, plus he's also older than Maguire.
I said almost double and isn’t Maguire on bigger wage nowadays due to a clause that got triggered as we qualified for CL?

Maguire is also a defender, not a forward and defenders usually get paid less than midfielders and strikers.

kaku06

Give us £65m for both Harry and Scotty West Ham and you have a deal.

Red_toad

I said almost double and isn’t Maguire on bigger wage nowadays due to a clause that got triggered as we qualified for CL?

Maguire is also a defender, not a forward and defenders usually get paid less than midfielders and strikers.
Almost isn't 50,000 out, we're not talking millions. His clause boosted his wage to 200k.
Bayern's second best paid player is their keeper, De Ligt earns way, way more than what Harry gets and more than Rashford, so maybe they do maybe they don't. I'd personally say their profile and marketability are more major factors.
Paquetá is West Ham's highest earner and isn't a striker. Maguire has a much higher profile as a player. I'd say he could be a very good player for them. That is if they go ahead and buy him. Who knows, but the people making out West Ham can't afford him are very wrong.

BaguetteBoy

£25m is fair for me, considering the wage he'll be demanding. We really don't need him hanging around as our 5th choice CB next season. Former Captain Maguire ..
Starting bid £20m end up paying £25m-30m would be good business I suppose. They got a couple of weeks to make it happen at least we now know they are interested