Maguire | he stays!

croadyman

I think different rules apply for the Maguire and McTominay bids. I 100% support rejecting the McTominay bid; with players like Rice and Enzo going for 100mil, Scott is worth at least 40 as an international in his mid-20's.

Maguire is a different story. We're talking about a player the wrong side of 30, out of form, just stripped of the captaincy, and suffering regular online ridicule. His stock has never been lower, and West Ham are the only buyer. I think it's very risky turning down a 30mil bid. Maybe we get the extra 5mil we want, in which case great, and overall I applaud the club for trying to change our selling practices to avoid buyers taking the piss. But if there was ever a player where it made sense just to cut our losses, it's Maguire.
Yeah I completely agree with this stance,however whether Utd are thinking that too remains to be seen in the coming days

Abraxas

Jonny Evans is definitely a significantly worse footballer than Maguire at the moment. At their best Evans was much better but he's not at his best. He's got one foot in retirement and just finished up relegated. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water just because Maguire is public enemy number one. He's far better as an option than Evans.

So we do have to be a bit careful that we get money in to attract a suitable upgrade. We can move Shaw there of course but it's not a great option because we start moving weaknesses around by doing that. Left back becomes the weakness. Which is not too bad but it would be by far preferable to simply get a young, fast centre back in that also shows good defensive promise. I'm sure the club is weighing this all up. Leaving the manager short is dumb.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Jonny Evans is definitely a significantly worse footballer than Maguire at the moment. At their best Evans was much better but he's not at his best. He's got one foot in retirement and just finished up relegated. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water just because Maguire is public enemy number one. He's far better as an option than Evans.

So we do have to be a bit careful that we get money in to attract a suitable upgrade. We can move Shaw there of course but it's not a great option because we start moving weaknesses around by doing that. Left back becomes the weakness. Which is not too bad but it would be by far preferable to simply get a young, fast centre back in that also shows good defensive promise. I'm sure the club is weighing this all up. Leaving the manager short is dumb.
Yeah Shaw could be moved to RCB, which planet is that happening on because it isn't this one!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yep and then next year we should have replaced AWB with Frimpong :drool:
Replacing Dalot with Frimpong would be amazing.

The best attacking RB vs the best 1 vs 1 defender in the world in our squad

Dump the average Dalot out and have the best of two worlds at our table.

lex talionis

Came to read about Maguire leaving. Ended up learning about dogs and why they bite you.

Classic redcafe.
Sometimes, you just have to step back from the daily grind of life and have a laugh. Dogs just don’t bite people they‘re happy to see.

croadyman

Replacing Dalot with Frimpong would be amazing.

The best attacking RB vs the best 1 vs 1 defender in the world in our squad

Dump the average Dalot out and have the best of two worlds at our table.
Think we could look at RB in next window depending on the form of AWB & Dalot

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I feel the challenge is not the transfer fees for maguire. Its his wages. Would a club like West ham be able to afford paying such high wages for him?
No,I don't think they could afford 190 a week so either Harry takes a pay cut or Man Utd supplement his wages.

Abraxas

Yeah Shaw could be moved to RCB, which planet is that happening on because it isn't this one!
Course he could, or maybe his partner could depending on who is better there. Not ideal in the modern football build up play but there's been over a century of football played with two right footed centre halfs playing. Making a mountain of a molehill. Besides, depends who is injured. You have Varane and Lindelof covering on the right and Martinez and Shaw on the left. Better to have another center back but it does work as a concept.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What's wrong with that valuation? 30-35 mill for Maguire and 40-45 mil for McTominay isn't something ridiculous IMO. Maguire is a vastly experienced CB, who is England's starting CB and till very recently, United's captain.
McTominay is also a very useful player, with lots of experience at the highest levels, and has had a lot of good performances.
Both are English, home grown, with loads of PL and CL experience.
McT is just 26 and Maguire just turned 30.
Every other team puts ridiculous price tags on their players, but we can't? Especially when West Ham have about 100 mill lying around from the Rice deal?
Exactly. Moaners complain that we always overpay --- and yet when we demand a higher fee for our own (outgoing) player, they become flaccid?

Plastic Evra

Don’t know why you think that. If you compare their histories, attendances, attainments, Roma are a much bigger club and, I think, currently a slightly better team.
At roughly equivalent standing in their respective league at this point in time... Which probably means West Ham are magnitude more cash rich than AS Roma and a better "client" for United on these twos.
I'd probably choose Rome if I had the choice but well... ASR isn't in the running so.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Course he could, or maybe his partner could depending on who is better there. Not ideal in the modern football build up play but there's been over a century of football played with two right footed centre halfs playing. Making a mountain of a molehill. Besides, depends who is injured. You have Varane and Lindelof covering on the right and Martinez and Shaw on the left. Better to have another center back but it does work as a concept.
EtH has made it clear that his CB's are going to be a right and a left footed combination, Marinez and Shaw ain't going to happen

Red_Orchestra

They better take that £30m for Maguire before WH walk away.
£70m for the pair is good business.

stoinz

I used to blame Ole for hoarding players that he doesn't need and running his favorite 11 to the ground. But I'm starting to think it is the club's management issue. Asking too much for players we don't need, renewing contracts to maintain value. Ended up not being able to afford players that we actually need.

Makes no sense we are keeping a player that we don't need by holding out prices that are unrealistic.

croadyman

I used to blame Ole for hoarding players that he doesn't need and running his favorite 11 to the ground. But I'm starting to think it is the club's management issue. Asking too much for players we don't need, renewing contracts to maintain value. Ended up not being able to afford players that we actually need.

Makes no sense we are keeping a player that we don't need by holding out prices that are unrealistic.
I think we can push them up to £68m for the pair seeing as we value them around £75m

stoinz

I think we can push them up to £68m for the pair seeing as we value them around £75m
I hope you are right. It will be a good moves for the players too that they get playing time rather than sitting on a bench.

Devil You Know

It was obviously Woodward trying to preserve asset value.

The more the player contracts were extended and the greater the number of players in the squad, the higher the asset value on our end-of-year accounts could look. Correspondingly, the higher the asset value on our end-of-year accounts looked, the more favourable the interest rates we could get on our loans.

Every one of our managers in the Woodward era was handicapped by that prat. Ole more than others because he was the last one who had to suffer Woodward's antics and by that point the situation with the squad had snowballed until it was completely unsustainable. We weren't a football Disneyland, we were a Muppet Island. There's a reason LvG and Mourinho both left in acrimony with the board.

Solskjaer talked about getting rid of players from a football perspective but it was never followed through from a business perspective. Thankfully EtH is finally getting the backing he needs.

Murtough feels like the messiah compared to Woodward. Even if he's only moderately competent, it's still a breath of fresh air.

Roboc7

I regard McTominay as a valuable squad member - not as deadwood - and I don't think Hag would mind keeping him. You'd struggle to buy a 30m midfielder that would go directly in and strengthen the first 11 and Fred, DVB, Sabitzer and Iqbal, that's already 4 midfielders out. If we get a good price, then ok, but I see no reason to sell McTominay just for the sake of it. He's actually not that bad a fotballer even if he's not a starter.
If the manager thought he was a valuable squad player we wouldn’t be trying to sell him, like Maguire he is just someone making up the numbers. It’s keeping him that would be for sake of it just to give us another body, selling him is progressing which is what we never do.

We have too many players like Maguire, Fred, DVB, Mctominay who either should have never been bought or shipped out years ago.

Highfather_24

I really really really hope we dont feck this and McT transfer up over being greedy. Sounds like typical United though.

flappyjay

Half this place was advocating for the overpaying for a player left with a year on his deal. Then turnanround and advocate for selling low when it's our players. However low you think of McTominay and Maguire 70m for the pair or close to that is a fair deal.

Steve 007

We’ll get about 35 for each. Last week people were outraged we didn’t take 20m for Harry. 65-70 coming in. West Ham supporters are outraged they haven’t made signings. These are guaranteed PL quality starters, good top 6 starters. Just not good enough to challenge. They are worth the money in a silly market we are in. The West Ham supporters will apply the pressure.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Selling Maguire is a no brainer, best for all involved and if we get £35m then it’s a good deal imo. I would stand firm if I was West Ham though, I think we need to sell him now, especially with how the fans have treated him of late.

McT I think it’s definitely worth holding out for a bit more and pushing to £40-45m. It feels like a less desperate sale and if we had to keep him, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

OrcaFat

Half this place was advocating for the overpaying for a player left with a year on his deal. Then turnanround and advocate for selling low when it's our players. However low you think of McTominay and Maguire 70m for the pair or close to that is a fair deal.
What I don’t want is those two guys hanging around here for another year. By all means get as much as we can for them but, bottom line, get them sold.

Gordon S

Harry is 30 years old now and hasn´t performed consistently well for the club in 2 seasons now.

Rejecting a good bid of 30m at this stage is kinda stupid imo. What is those extra 5m worth in comparison to get a Pavard or Todibo for example in before start of the season?
Or maybe FFP has us by the balls so bad we need those 5m badly to get players in..?