Maguire | he stays!

Giggsyking

I thought Maguire is being sold, what are these sataments from ETH? isnt it too late for Maguire to fight for a place when we already accepted a bid?

jadaba

Could the comments indicate a possibility that we’ve hit a wall in our pursuits of a replacement?

FujiVice

Erik ten Hag says Harry Maguire would be better off leaving Manchester United if he is not confident enough to battle for a first-team spot.

The United boss is adamant he thinks Maguire can be an important part of his plans.

However, after Ten Hag took the captaincy off the 30-year-old, United then accepted a £30m bid from West Ham for him.

"He has the ability to be a top-class centre-back," said Ten Hag.

"He is the best for England so why shouldn't he be the best for us?

"But he has to prove it. When he is not confident enough to fight then he has to go, then he has to make a decision. But I'm happy with him."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66491431
He really should have said "he's shit, I wouldnt buy him if I were you"

RedStarUnited

Erik ten Hag says Harry Maguire would be better off leaving Manchester United if he is not confident enough to battle for a first-team spot.

The United boss is adamant he thinks Maguire can be an important part of his plans.

However, after Ten Hag took the captaincy off the 30-year-old, United then accepted a £30m bid from West Ham for him.

"He has the ability to be a top-class centre-back," said Ten Hag.

"But he has to prove it. When he is not confident enough to fight then he has to go, then he has to make a decision. But I'm happy with him."

Why the hell would Ten Hag say this?

RedStarUnited

So far, he’s never said that any particular player was shit - he only says good things about them.
Its cool to say those things mid season but in this moment? We have a deal agreed with West Ham, why bother answering questions about him?

a simple..

"Maguire is in the process of leaving us, there are still a few things to sort out"

would have been enough.

hobbers

No we're not - his replacement will cost a similar amount
Yes which is the whole point.

Maguire for two years - £44m worse off and a useless 5th choice benchwarmer with no potential.

Spend that money on a replacement - potentially sign a future worldie who could long term replace Varane and be worth £60m plus

criticalanalysis

So far, he’s never said that any particular player was shit - he only says good things about them.
Exactly. It's his default shtick and to be fair it's mostly worked for him.

Praised Martial and got whatever performances he was able to out of a perma crock, low on confidence player. Same for Rashford.
Praised Ronaldo despite dropping him and came out looking as THE boss of Man Utd who set the standards.
Praised De Gea and got whatever performances he was able out of someone who is clearly limited and has been on the decline for years. Then bought a new keeper.

marcus agrippa

Not sure it helps that ETH says things like he's in contention for Monday and has previously said he has a role at the club. Maybe Maguire does think he has an outside chance of his forcing his way back into the team, particularly if Varane gets injured.
ETH says a lot of things in the press, dodges quite a few questions, and generally gives very little away re: what he actually thinks. Best to look at what he does.

First thing he does when the lads come back in preseason is call Maguire in and strip him of his captaincy. What other interpretation is there than: mate, you're not in my plans: I'd rather play a left back ahead of you.

Also: Maguire is 'one of the captains' but tell you what, let McTomminay captain the side ahead of you during preseason, shan't we?

I'd bet my house that what ETH says in public isn't what he says in private. Maguire knows where he stands, even if we on the outside can only guess from the manager's actions.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

Maguire for two years - £44m worse off and a useless 5th choice benchwarmer with no potential.

Spend that money on a replacement - potentially sign a future worldie who could long term replace Varane and be worth £60m plus
Wait is this for real? He is on 400k a week?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Or potentially sign someone worse

A club like United shouldn't be signing players based on what they might be potentially worth though

Woziak

I thought Maguire is being sold, what are these sataments from ETH? isnt it too late for Maguire to fight for a place when we already accepted a bid?
But he hasn’t accepted terms, Maguire thinks he’s bigger than West Ham, if Villa are sniffing which is the rumour United will squeeze £35-40m out of them and they can pay his wages or get much closer than West Ham.

TsuWave

Eh, comments just read like standard manager speak. Ten Hag isn't exactly going to be saying he's a shit player and I can't wait to see the back of him.

The guy had the armband removed and is behind Varane, Licha, Lindelof and Shaw in the pecking order. There's not fighting his way back. It's over.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
People read way too much into these Ten Hag comments, it's just standard talk about a player who's essentially still at the club.

I get it, though. Everyone's desperate to see the back of him, me included.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And his replacement might equally be crap, no one knows!
If the club do their job properly they’ll sign a good replacement. What we know as a fact is that Maguire isn’t good enough for United so he needs to go

CloneMC16

People should have learnt by now that ETH only says positive things about our players in public. He will tell them the truth in private.

Plastic Evra

Weird comments from ETH. The hollow football lingo I'd expect is more along the lines of "no comment" (like Moyes did when asked). If Maguire is already halfway through the door, seems a little passive aggressive to imply the whole "well if he leaves, it's that he didn't really think he could cut it here, mental midget that he is".

For all of Maguire's faults, he always was available and ready to compete for his place ? Weird dig.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Weird comments from ETH. The hollow football lingo I'd expect is more along the lines of "no comment" (like Moyes did when asked). If Maguire is already halfway through the door, seems a little passive aggressive to imply the whole "well if he leaves, it's that he didn't really think he could cut it here, mental midget that he is".

For all of Maguire's faults, he always was available and ready to compete for his place ? Weird dig.
It is a very odd comment because Maguire, in all fairness, has handled himself very well in all of this. I'd say he even seemed to want to stay and fight, but he as being pushed out of the door. Not sure what these comments achieve, either a weird dig or potentially planting the thought in Maguires head that he should stay and fight.

The only explanation that makes sense is he's decided to stay and ETH is saying this more as praise that he's decided to fight for his place. If he was still possibly leaving then it makes no sense.

RedDevilRoshi

Eh, comments just read like standard manager speak. Ten Hag isn't exactly going to be saying he's a shit player and I can't wait to see the back of him.

The guy had the armband removed and is behind Varane, Licha, Lindelof and Shaw in the pecking order. There's not fighting his way back. It's over.
Agree. People just getting their knickers in a twist for the sake of it.

Oranges038

People should have learnt by now that ETH only says positive things about our players in public. He will tell them the truth in private.
Apparently Alex Ferguson told Kevin Moran, he was too old and too short to play centre half for him, that he wanted someone bigger and younger. Then he went and signed Mal Donaghy who was older and only slightly taller.

Sometimes when a manager wants a player out, they just want them gone and will say whatever in public but behind the scenes it's quite obvious ETH just wants him gone.

RuudTom83

What a manager says to the press is one thing.

What he says to the players in private is another.

Stop believing everything you hear or read on Twitter.

colombianmancunian

People are overthinking what ETH said. He has been showing a diplomatic approach when speaking about players, just see how he spoke about Ronaldo and De Gea. Harry is leaving, and maybe we will get a replacement (for 4 choice CB), but have a short term insurance policy in Evans.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If the club do their job properly they’ll sign a good replacement. What we know as a fact is that Maguire isn’t good enough for United so he needs to go
Even if the club do their due diligence etc the reality is every transfer is a gamble

tenhagsimp

Why the hell would Ten Hag say this?
Its not like he can say "Maguire is dogshit, im sick of him please West Ham buy him asap cuz we need cash for pavard/todibo" right ? It's just bs manager spiel nothing to read too much here. He also said he wanted to keep Ronaldo and we all saw what happened

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a manager says to the press is one thing.

What he says to the players in private is another.

Stop believing everything you hear or read on Twitter.
But what about my daily dose of moaning?

It's so obvious that what EtH says in PC is different from how he acts and still people believe everything he says in PC.

prateik

That sounds like he is challenging Maguire to stay and fight for his place and Maguire is the one looking to move..
such a weird thing to say.

the_cliff

Of course ETH will say that. If the deal falls through and he's said he's not wanted and shite then how is he going to get Maguire back in the fold when Varane inevitably gets injured.

Idxomer

Not one to usually pay attention to what managers say in the press but yeah this is an odd quote.

strandty

I mean to be fair, going from 190k (probably more after the CL qualification) to the reported 100k they were offering...If it's a 5-year-deal and we're only giving him a sweetener for the two he would miss here, he'd be on half his money for the rest of the three years in what would be his final contract. He/his agent just probably trying to squeeze a few more quid a week out of them. If that is the case, then that'll make our pay out smaller too since we've got a smaller gap to bridge.

gajender

It's an Odd comment to say the least for all his faults on field Maguire has conducted himself quite well off it no need for petty digs it serves no purpose unless Maguire has decided to stay and its more of an attempt to insulate Maguire from criticism which would definitely come his way from some quarter of United's fan base but I highly doubt that .