Maguire | he stays!

lilcurt

I wonder if people are in Maguire's shoes, will they just give up the salary they are legally entitled to and just accept a reduced salary somewhere else without negotiation.
He is only legally entitled to that money of he stays here. If we agree to sell him and he goes he isn't entitled to it.

He trying to have his cake and eat it. Either stay and be in the reserves or leave without the payoff. It isn't the clubs fault he can't prove his value to another club on his current wage.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Exactly. Not sure why everyone is lashing out at him. I still think he will move before the end of the window, possibly on loan. With all the ACL injuries, there could be a more of them in the next two weeks and who knows what club will need an emergency England CB (for now).
I think he'll go too. Don't care as long as he doesn't play.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is only legally entitled to that money of he stays here. If we agree to sell him and he goes he isn't entitled to it.

He trying to have his cake and eat it. Either stay and be in the reserves or leave without the payoff. It isn't the clubs fault he can't prove his value to another club on his current wage.
But he doesn't agree with the transfer without negotiation, isn't it? It is United no longer want his service,and why the employee in this case needs to take the consequence of reduced salary without compensation?

lilcurt

But he doesn't agree with the transfer without negotiation, isn't it?
He can negotiate with the club sure. But we are 100% in our rights to say either go or rot in the reserves.

It comes down to if the player has any ambition and the mentality to play and succeed. It is becoming apparent that money is his primary driver.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He can negotiate with the club sure. But we are 100% in our rights to say either go or rot in the reserves.

It comes down to if the player has any ambition and the mentality to play and succeed. It is becoming apparent that money is his primary driver.
Utd owe him the money though. It’s his. Sounds as much like Utd trying not to pay what they agreed to pay, as it does Maguire being primarily motivated by money.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Sure, no problem with him demanding to get x amount of money for him to leave.

At the same time, I think we are completely within our right to completely omit him from the team. Which is what many other clubs do when they want to incentivize a player to leave.

Absolutely.

lilcurt

Utd owe him the money though. It’s his. Sounds as much like Utd trying not to pay what they agreed to pay, as it does Maguire being primarily motivated by money.
Can you explain how they owe him the money?

Unless I'm missing something, he is asking for the sum of the difference in pay between his contract with us and his new one with West Ham over the next two years.

If I'm correct in that, then he isn't "due" this money at all. He is due the money if he fulfils his contract and stays the next to years. If all parties agree to a transfer (as they must in this scenario) then a kind of break clause is activated in a contract so we can sell and he can leave.

He is essentially playing an extra card here, saying he will only go if paid off. He can try and negotiate this, but we are not obliged to accept and he isn't owed it at all.

Happy to be proven wrong.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He can rot in reserves if he wants what is “owed” to him. He is in this situation because he has performed poorly and no decent club will pay him the wages he is on. If he cant see that and wants the money, then he can kiss bye his career for next two years. It shouldn’t matter because he is throwing hissy fits for 70k per week more money despite earning millions already

Enigma_87

You know who
Yep him staying at the club and rotting the next 2 years will cost him a fair bit too if he's genuinely rotting in the team. I think our proposal of meeting him halfway seems very fair for all parties. Maguire choosing the lose-lose option is pretty toxic in my books.

This is why I don't understand why ETH is seemingly giving him an option to stay at the club. If he's clear that Maguire will rot away in the reserves then this may change the outcome. As of now Maguire gets to enjoy the best of both worlds of playing a bit part role and cashing in, then getting a final decent payday in 2 years'.
Maybe trying to save his value till the end of the window? Last night having Lindelof put on instead of him was telling once again.

Enigma_87

You know who
He doesn't need 100k/week to come out ahead in 2 years. He'll most likely get less but by staying at United, he won't need an additional 1-2 years on 100k to climb out of the 90k/week x 2 or 3 years hole that he leaves on the table by walking away from his current contract
My point is that if he fits in the reserves for two years he won’t even get close to 50k let alone 100k. I’m not sure even a PL club would offer him part time contract and in lower leagues he’ll get 10-20k at best.

Saudi is not an option as he’s not marketable in any shape or form.

pratyush_utd

Maguire negotiated a contract with West Ham who dont value him at the same level. He is only entitled to get that extra money if he stays. There is no legal binding aspect here that United should compensate him for his failure and consequently poor evaluation from his future employer.

If he doesn’t want to let go off the money, let him stay and rot in reserve. Many players move on with reduction in salary as their worth decreases. United needs to take the financial hit and remind all players that this isn’t charity. If you dont perform on the level of your contract, then you wont be compensated on leaving.

hobbers

No it’s not his. It’s his on the basis he does his job for the club over the next two years.

Elanga had years left on his contract but we sure as shit didn’t pay him off so he got two wages for one job.

Plastic Evra

I guess we can litigate what's moral and legal but at the end of the day it boils down to Maguire having to agree to be transferred and him not finding the terms convincing enough at this point (reportedly).

joedirt87

Not paying Harry what he is ask for to leave so that United can pay him his full wage and tank his transfer value even more is the most Glazers are still in charge move you can possibly think of.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wonder if people are in Maguire's shoes, will they just give up the salary they are legally entitled to and just accept a reduced salary somewhere else without negotiation.
They are not entitled for future salary ffs.

if I was in his shoes I’d want to play and not be a constant meme and hated even from the own fans.

MalaysianRed7

this is a really bad opinion
Why? I used to have a lot of sympathy for him as I thought people were deriding him just because he wasn’t playing football well despite trying his best. I even gave him a massive cheer when he came on at Wembley against Newcastle.

However, now, I can have absolutely no sympathy for a man who rejects £100k a week and the captaincy at a Premier League club just to sit on the bench and collect a vast underserved paycheque every week at a club where he’s not liked by the fans or manager. As you said, it’s my opinion, and my opinion is that he can have absolutely no qualms about being booed now, and very much deserves to lose his England place for Euro 2024.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Of course they wouldn't. It would be good to negotiate with many of the buy high, sell cheap impatient posters in the transfer forum though.

OleGunnar20

Frustrating. I'm sure many of us would do the same in his shoes, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Him hanging around on the bench for another season just seems like a bad idea all around.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Extremely disappointing. You just know he will cost us again this season when we need to rotate.

Mas Risky

Maguire negotiated a contract with West Ham who dont value him at the same level. He is only entitled to get that extra money if he stays. There is no legal binding aspect here that United should compensate him for his failure and consequently poor evaluation from his future employer.

If he doesn’t want to let go off the money, let him stay and rot in reserve. Many players move on with reduction in salary as their worth decreases. United needs to take the financial hit and remind all players that this isn’t charity. If you don't perform on the level of your contract, then you wont be compensated on leaving.
While I agree with your statement, I hope we are not the kind of club that punishes players by throwing them on the reserve team.

Not so long ago, he was our captain and played in every match available. I assumed he was a professional lad. For that reason alone, he deserves his place on the first team.

Gavinb33

He is owed the money his contract is a fixed term one therfore if the club terminate or want to move him on before he is satisfied they need to give him the money owed for the term of the contract, the same contract allows us to keep him and get a transfer fee as well if we move him on.

Withnail

They are not entitled for future salary ffs.

if I was in his shoes I’d want to play and not be a constant meme and hated even from the own fans.
He's entitled to stay and get paid as per his contract so he is entitled to that money. If we want to get rid of him, he doesn't want to go and the pay cut is massive he's right to ask for a sweetener. I'd think less of him if he didn't.

Are you telling me you'd go to a lesser team with half the wages? You'd just suck it up, would you?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

If he doesn’t want to let go off the money, let him stay and rot in reserve. Many players move on with reduction in salary as their worth decreases. United needs to take the financial hit and remind all players that this isn’t charity. If you dont perform on the level of your contract, then you wont be compensated on leaving.
Of course there’s no rule that we have to compensate him. But if he stays, it’s our loss as well as his.
That’s why We have to come to a compromise on how much we pay him.

baskinginthesun

That's the message. He's last in the pecking order, he's actually 5th choice behind Shaw when Malacia is available.
That's the thing though. Our back line is fairly injury prone. He will be needed at some point during the season, unfortunately. As much as I don't like it, there is a reason he's able to sit on the bench instead of being pushed into the reserves. He will play at some point.

This is probably why he's able to negotiate the remainder of his contract.

Gandalf

Extremely disappointing. You just know he will cost us again this season when we need to rotate.
There are limits to what can be done in terms of forcing players out, there are potential penalties for clubs who banish players to the reserves etc. but there is no reason to name him in a matchday squad. If Lindelof and a fullback are on the bench we are fine, Victor is the sub for the CB position and in an emergency bring on Dalot or Williams or whoever and move Shaw to the CB position. If he is not named in a matchday squad for the next 2 weeks and especially if he is not named in the next England squad then he might finally wake up to the reality of his situation. This is not even forcing him out to be fair as playing someone else at LB and using Shaw as our 4th choice CB is actually the better footballing decision.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Why does it have to go this way? Why not enter into negotiation with good will for a win-win situation, instead of winner take all approach? Of course money is his primary driver but so does Man Utd. In the end if he stays then both parties lose. He won't play in the next 2 years, and Utd will miss the 30 million transfer fee and 20 million in wages, just because of the 7 million payout/compensation.

pratyush_utd

Of course there’s no rule that we have to compensate him. But if he stays, it’s our loss as well as his.
That’s why We have to come to a compromise on how much we pay him.
It will be one time loss but it will send a proper message. Otherwise we will be compensating every tom dick and harry for a long time for performing poorly

ATXRedDevil

Is he entitled to see out his contract and collect his £190k/week? Yes.

Are United obliged to play him? No. Will that hurt his chances to play for England? Yes.

Maguire basically has a choice between more money for a couple of years and potentially ruining his career, or moving on and taking a pay cut (while still making £5-6m/year, kind) but getting to play regularly for club and country. However, if his choice is the money, it’s fair to question how seriously he takes his profession and it’s quite clear he has no sense of personal responsibility. The fact that he can’t get anywhere his current wages form another team is clear proof that he’s underperformed his current contract.

By all means, he can take the money and he’s certainly entitled to it. But I think fans are justified in being miffed by his lack of self awareness and his priorities, not to mention lack of pride and desire. Some leader.

Ananke

He's entitled to stay and get paid as per his contract so he is entitled to that money. If we want to get rid of him, he doesn't want to go and the pay cut is massive he's right to ask for a sweetener. I'd think less of him if he didn't.

Are you telling me you'd go to a lesser team with half the wages? You'd just suck it up, would you?
Yes. I would.

He’s gonna have no first team football for years, everyone hates him, and he’s not getting any younger.

Yes I’d take a pay cut and try progress my career rather than holding my team to ransom because nobody wants to pay me the stupid salary I’m not worth. Boohoo, I’m getting paid 40% less of the already stupid amount of money I’m on…oh how will I deal with life? Get a grip man.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
There are limits to what can be done in terms of forcing players out, there are potential penalties for clubs who banish players to the reserves etc. but there is no reason to name him in a matchday squad. If Lindelof and a fullback are on the bench we are fine, Victor is the sub for the CB position and in an emergency bring on Dalot or Williams or whoever and move Shaw to the CB position. If he is not named in a matchday squad for the next 2 weeks and especially if he is not named in the next England squad then he might finally wake up to the reality of his situation. This is not even forcing him out to be fair as playing someone else at LB and using Shaw as our 4th choice CB is actually the better footballing decision.
Yeah I still hope he will leave this month. If not, let's pray Licha and Varane don't get injured at the same time.

Withnail

That's the thing though. Our back line is fairly injury prone. He will be needed at some point during the season, unfortunately. As much as I don't like it, there is a reason he's able to sit on the bench instead of being pushed into the reserves. He will play at some point.

This is probably why he's able to negotiate the remainder of his contract.
We definitely need to replace him so yeah he has some bargaining power. I'd rather we paid the man and got someone else but it depends how close we are to FFP limits. This could all be brinkmanship though and the deal could still get done. West Ham looking at other targets smacks of a negotiating tactic to hurry us up. They aren't going to get another deal over the line in a couple of days either so this will rumble on for the week at least I'd say.

lilcurt

Why does it have to go this way? Why not enter into negotiation with good will for a win-win situation, instead of winner take all approach? Of course money is his primary driver but so does Man Utd. In the end if he stays then both parties lose. He won't play in the next 2 years, and Utd will miss the 30 million transfer fee and 20 million in wages, just because of the 7 million payout/compensation.
The win, win is for him to go to West Ham. Play week in, week out and get paid £100k per week mate...

What West Ham offer to pay Maguire is irrelevant to Man Utd, and shouldnt be made the clubs problem.

If he was moving to a club that was going to double his wage, would he offer to split the increase with his former club? Of course not. He (an many other players) are just sheer greedy.

If accept what you are worth from a new club or rot in the reserves.

For me I would happily never see him in a united shirt again.

FerociousCorgis

Yeah I still hope he will leave this month. If not, let's pray Licha and Varane don't get injured at the same time.
honestly even then im betting we would see lindelof-shaw pairing come back and someone else slide back in at LB

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I just don't understand the mentality of all these. It is not uncommon for the payout and Arsenal does this to their unwanted players for them to accept lower salary else where.

Withnail

Yes. I would.

He’s gonna have no first team football for years, everyone hates him, and he’s not getting any younger.

Yes I’d take a pay cut and try progress my career rather than holding my team to ransom because nobody wants to pay me the stupid salary I’m not worth. Boohoo, I’m getting paid 40% less of the already stupid amount of money I’m on…oh how will I deal with life? Get a grip man.
Anyone who willingly takes a 50% pay-cut without compensation when they've two years left on their contract isn't very bright.

Also his financial advisors/agent are telling him to sit tight while a payout is negotiated. I just don't believe you wouldn't do the same in that situation.