Maguire | he stays!

RuudTom83

The argument/situation would be different if the new owners were in control.

The idea of the Glazers giving a player 7 million to leave…I can’t see that ever happening.

Marcelinho87

I want him to leave, but this hyperbole is ridiculous. Seriously? Worst ever?
It's not hyperbole at all, yes worst ever - you have to take into consideration the whole package including the fee vs what was expected of him... So for me, yes worst ever. At least in my lifetime.

m1tch

That will change. He will be dropped for England soon I would imagine.
Have you seen who the England manager is?!
He won't be changing his ways and will continue to pretty much pick the same players for every game.

foolsgold

The “don’t bother showing up to Carrington” approach would work.
It really wouldn't. It'd just annoy his friends in the squad and cause disharmony.

I don't think he's suitable for the higher line we're trying to play, but he's still an established international footballer who has always given his best for the club. We need to treat him with respect. Getting a reputation for a club that shits on players when they want to move them on, isn't going to help us in the transfer market. Until he leaves, he's still part of the United family, once a red, always a red.

clarkydaz

It's not hyperbole at all, yes worst ever - you have to take into consideration the whole package including the fee vs what was expected of him... So for me, yes worst ever. At least in my lifetime.
and the fact he was made captain...he certainly wont be remembered fondly

HoustonRed

Yeah I'm sure you would leave the money on the table in the same position. As someone else mentioned, he's not exactly been on big money his whole career.
Well it’s not just the money on the table though is it. It’s his playing career, England hopes, peaceful life? There should be a evaluation of what’s important and what each is worth. Obviously Money came out on top for him. So yeah totally on him.

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's not hyperbole, we've never had a defender this calamitous. He gets a lot of defence on here. Clubs of other fans think he's a joke.

Redcy

People really still are not getting it are they. We cant sell him for whatever and just get rid. The way FFP works pretty much means we have to sell him for more than 26.6m as far as I understand it. Its not about what future savings or cost he might have to us. He costs us 13.3m per year based on a 6 year amortisation, so selling for less than that in terms of FFP means we have less money to spend. It is not clear what amount Harry wants, there are claims of 7m and 15m, either of which would be unsustainable for us as a club in terms of FFP. Add in that from then on all players would expect the same and you can see why he won't be paid off. It doesnt matter how we save in wages in the future for FFP.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Guardian and other media are reporting the figure of 7m he wanted.
He had 2 years left on the contract so that means the club would pay him 67k per week if he decides to leave.

So the question is 70k to Maguire and sign someone for 120k or continue to give Harry his weekly 190k for two more years on the bench.
I know it sounds stupid to pay someone to leave, but the alternative is worse.

His remaining salary for this contract adds up to over 20m.
So paying him only 7m and getting 30m from WH would actually result in a 43m (fee/wage) package.
There certainly are clubs that can work out something with that budget. Not sure our management can, though....
I had the exact same thoughts with regard his contract. I'd pay him off and Tel him to do one.

Send him off how Farca sent Dembele on his way (yes, I'm that petty).

Marcus

Even the Saudis haven't made an offer for him. Wow, speaks volumes.

Redcy

Guardian and other media are reporting the figure of 7m he wanted.
He had 2 years left on the contract so that means the club would pay him 67k per week if he decides to leave.

So the question is 70k to Maguire and sign someone for 120k or continue to give Harry his weekly 190k for two more years on the bench.
I know it sounds stupid to pay someone to leave, but the alternative is worse.

His remaining salary for this contract adds up to over 20m.
So paying him only 7m and getting 30m from WH would actually result in a 43m (fee/wage) package.
There certainly are clubs that can work out something with that budget. Not sure our management can, though....
We would not be able to spend that though, doesn't matter how much we save on future salary under FFP.

lex talionis

It really wouldn't. It'd just annoy his friends in the squad and cause disharmony.

I don't think he's suitable for the higher line we're trying to play, but he's still an established international footballer who has always given his best for the club. We need to treat him with respect. Getting a reputation for a club that shits on players when they want to move them on, isn't going to help us in the transfer market. Until he leaves, he's still part of the United family, once a red, always a red.
Truth is, neither one of us know how warmly he has been received by his teammates over the last three seasons. He’s just demanded what is in effect a buy out of his contract otherwise he threatens to sit it out through the end of his contract, which I doubt sits well with his teammates. But we don’t know that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You cant really compare unless you want to consider the real fees of transfers/wages from 30 years ago and what the same fee then (via inflation) would be like today.

Trevor Francis costs £1million in 1978 or '79... I forget. So how much will he have to cost today?

And then compare that with his performances and expectations.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This mentality is embarassing.

The club gave him a contract, he is entitled to it. As Chelsea did to Lukaku. Chelsea don't want to sell him at a loss or a reasonable fee for others but refuse to let him train with the mains, it's disgusting treatment.

How would you like it if your work said feck your contract we want you out even if you didn't want to leave? You have to relocate across the country or to a different country on a lower salary? You'd tell them to feck off and you'd stay.
If I tried to spike the water at my work I wouldn’t be allowed in the building either. We e literally paid extra money for him not to be in the building .

We arent Denying him money. It’s not a maguire circumstance where he has a place to go and just does t want a pay cut.

We had the permanent move he wanted lined up and HE broke transfer rules by contacting a different team without i firming other parties or seeking permission, and he destroyed the relationship he wanted.

He has been caught in several occasions openly trying to get players to down tools or cause other problems when in the building. This only got worse when he discovered he could face actual penalties for publicly disparaging his parent. club as part of his image and likeness contract agreement.

So, we will honor his contract, but he is NOT welcome near the team. And Chelsea shouldnt feel bad about that at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This mentality is embarassing.

The club gave him a contract, he is entitled to it. As Chelsea did to Lukaku. Chelsea don't want to sell him at a loss or a reasonable fee for others but refuse to let him train with the mains, it's disgusting treatment.

How would you like it if your work said feck your contract we want you out even if you didn't want to leave? You have to relocate across the country or to a different country on a lower salary? You'd tell them to feck off and you'd stay.
As usual football fans are embarrassing, if the player does the same thing to force a transfer then he is snake, shit cnut, mercenary and all that, but club can do that as long as the player is not highly rated or wanted by fanbase.

Maguire should be sold, there is no other way for this to end but this isn't a prison or azkaban. If then transfer isn't happening for various reasons then he should be part of the squad with little to no playing time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If I tried to spike the water at my work I wouldn’t be allowed in the building either. We e literally paid extra money for him not to be in the building .

We arent Denying him money. It’s not a maguire circumstance where he has a place to go and just does t want a pay cut.

We had the permanent move he wanted lined up and HE broke transfer rules by contacting a different team without i firming other parties or seeking permission, and he destroyed the relationship he wanted.

He has been caught in several occasions openly trying to get players to down tools or cause other problems when in the building. This only got worse when he discovered he could face actual penalties for publicly disparaging his parent. club as part of his image and likeness contract agreement.

So, we will honor his contract, but he is NOT welcome near the team. And Chelsea shouldnt feel bad about that at all.
What a bizarre post. Comparing someone poisoning the water supply at work with a player choosing not to be transferred because it makes him worse off.

And do you have any evidence for the rest of your post?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
People really still are not getting it are they. We cant sell him for whatever and just get rid. The way FFP works pretty much means we have to sell him for more than 26.6m as far as I understand it. Its not about what future savings or cost he might have to us. He costs us 13.3m per year based on a 6 year amortisation, so selling for less than that in terms of FFP means we have less money to spend. It is not clear what amount Harry wants, there are claims of 7m and 15m, either of which would be unsustainable for us as a club in terms of FFP. Add in that from then on all players would expect the same and you can see why he won't be paid off. It doesnt matter how we save in wages in the future for FFP.
The wages do matter though. His wages falling off the books would be roughly 10m in savings this year, partially offsetting the asset write-down.

Bondi77

Yes, Bailly could have been decent if not for injuries.. Had the odd mental moment but also defended very well at times - ultimately didn't play enough for me to judge him as a first teamer like I am Maguire.
I have heard it all now

fallengt

He's.
United's captain. Most expensive defender. A walking meme
Few years down the line. People will still talk about Harry Maguire

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Guy has no idea the hate that's going to come his way now. Ending his pro career basically. Won't train with the first team won't be playing any games. Don't think even the NT manager will be such a fool as to pick him anymore.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Guy has no idea the hate that's going to come his way now. Ending his pro career basically. Won't train with the first team won't be playing any games. Don't think even the NT manager will be such a fool as to pick him anymore.
:lol: :lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There's 2 weeks to go. I think there will still be some talks behind the scenes.

Maguire can't be that dumb to sit out the next two years --- and basically kill off his career for a few million bucks when he can still earn a decent living at another club. People usually use money as a retaliation tool/justification when they are being emotional in a relationship.

NoPace

I think Colwill looking pretty good and Stones presumably nailed on means he might feel he's in better shape for England since playing well for us if Varane misses time (or needs rests when we're going twice a week) might mean more than doing well for West Ham playing so deep (nobody was like oh my god Craig Dawson is doing well or seems fussed about Zouma doing well even before the cat abuse. What a sentence).

Frustrating. He just looks so clumsy and error-prone that I'd have him 5th choice behind Shaw (Malacia at LB fine he can pass it at least) and Lindelof at CB. I'm not sure how much better a young CB replacement would have been for this year, but selling Maguire for 30M, even after paying him off with 10M, would have basically paid for a good young backup to hopefully take over for Varane in 2-3 years.

Wing Attack Plan R

Were those lesser paying jobs in the region of 50% less?
No, my job has a minimum guarantee employers can’t legally go below (i.e. scale), so I wasn’t making double the scale rate. It’s not really analogous though. For a normal working person, any pay cut is felt, whereas there isn’t a chance Maguire’s finances will be upended dropping from £190,000 per week to £120,000.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
If he’s losing money on a transfer to WHU then his agent is too, right?
So I’m wondering if he’s getting the right short & long term career advice instead of being giving advice by his agent, with a different agenda?

GoldanoGraham

He will surely leave……maybe his agent is negotiating with another team(s) - maybe he didn’t fancy the first opportunity that came along as they feel there is something better than WH.

we can’t be solely reliant on selling him to do anything else - just a bit of creativity like a loan and confirmed sale at the end of that - many other teams are doing this to get around FFP so why don’t we?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Well, consider the price, status and games we gave him and the litany of errors, mistakes and poor performances, he will be up there.

There have been worse players but none were made captain and were regular starters.

erikcred

and the fact he was made captain...he certainly wont be remembered fondly
Well, consider the price, status and games we gave him and the litany of errors, mistakes and poor performances, he will be up there.

There have been worse players but none were made captain and were regular starters.
Fee - he didn't decide it.
Captaincy - he didn't decide it.
Regular starter - you get the idea...

He's a very limited player who was asked to do things way beyond his ability here. It's like you all have forgotten that City wanted him as well. He'd have been a useful cog in Pep's machine. We just happened to have an inept manager in Ole.

Devil You Know

Fee - he didn't decide it.
Captaincy - he didn't decide it.
Regular starter - you get the idea...

He's a very limited player who was asked to do things way beyond his ability here. It's like you all have forgotten that City wanted him as well. He'd have been a useful cog in Pep's machine. We just happened to have an inept manager in Ole.
Maguire was a useful cog in Ole's machine for his first two full seasons that saw back to back top 3 finishes. That's clearly not inept for either manager or player.

Ole was then sacked after 5 PL losses into his third season. Everything that's happened to Maguire since then has been under Rangnick (an actual inept manager) and EtH.

DevilRed

He will surely leave……maybe his agent is negotiating with another team(s) - maybe he didn’t fancy the first opportunity that came along as they feel there is something better than WH.

we can’t be solely reliant on selling him to do anything else - just a bit of creativity like a loan and confirmed sale at the end of that - many other teams are doing this to get around FFP so why don’t we?
Not sure if any other team can afford him other than the Saudi ones.