Maguire injury

bosskeano

Ole stated today in his press conference that he doesn't expect Harry to make the match day squad for the Europa final but he's giving him until Tuesday to test himself.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Big miss, but we should have more than enough to put Villareal away.

Gandalf

Ole stated today in his press conference that he doesn't expect Harry to make the match day squad for the Europa final but he's giving him until Tuesday to test himself.
Hoping he is just saying that to keep Villareal guessing, none of our other potential CB pairings fill me with confidence and I almost wouldn't be surprised to see us go 3 at the back if Harry is unavailable.

Gasolin

Nah this is going to make us very very shaky. I don't think Ole, like Jose, lie about injuries. It's just really bad news.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he’s out I think we’ll lose. Lindelof is soft and Bailly & Tuanzebe are both just bad. I would probably try this. Bruno would have to sacrifice his appetite for goals for the good of the team. I think he & Fred could do well together, both have work rate & get stuck in.

Lindelof Bailly Shaw
Wan-Bissaka Bruno Fred Telles
Rashford Cavani Pogba​

0le

I think Tuanzebe will be fine. It always takes a player a couple of games to get into match rhythm.

Longshanks

Is Phil Jones fit? We will be fine without him if Jones is fit.

On a serious note could be a big chance for tuanzebe, lindelof and tuanzebe will be fine as long as villareal don't have a big physical presence up top.

mancsarered

Is Phil Jones fit? We will be fine without him if Jones is fit.

On a serious note could be a big chance for tuanzebe, lindelof and tuanzebe will be fine as long as villareal don't have a big physical presence up top.
Or a 5'7 Joe Bryan from Fulham.

BlueHaze

Man the guy played almost every damn minute since he arrived why not just give him some long overdue rest with an upcoming final and give Bailly and the rest of the below par reserves on the bench some minutes? Now we have to play a final with horrid defence. Hopefully Bailly or whoever plays steps up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That's terrible news. Let's just hope that Lindelöf & Bailly/Tuanzebe all perform like they do on their good days :(

Judas

Open to offers
Man the guy played almost every damn minute since he arrived why not just give him some long overdue rest with an upcoming final and give Bailly and the rest of the below par reserves on the bench some minutes? Now we have to play a final with horrid defence. Hopefully Bailly or whoever plays steps up.
I get this line of thinking but the injury was such a freak injury and so unlucky. Late in the game too. Just one of those damn nasty flukes that happen in sports. He was literally about to start being rotated after that game, Ole had made that clear.

I really feel for him, such a key time to get injured.

Massive blow for us but I hate how its already being used as a reason or excuse for us to lose the final. Even without him, its unforgivable for us not to beat Vilarreal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is not UCL Final, it's EL Final.

If we can't win the EL final without Maguire then the two CB who are going to play are just proven shite and neither should be in our starting XI playing next to Maguire next season. Next season, we are aiming bigger.

This also big test for our CB to see which one more priority between upgrading midfield or upgrading the CB.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Gutted, for him and for us! With Bailly and lindeloff so poor coupled with our bad recent form I'd say villareal are now favourites.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its time for the likes of Bailly and Jones to shine. They were given a long term contract after all. If they play shit then those who took the decision of giving these 'players' long term contracts should be sacked.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Hoping Ole is just keeping his cards close to his chest here. Not only are we fooked without him, it'd be a right shame for him to not lift the trophy if we win.

ShinjiNinja26

What do people think of a back 3 for the final? It’s certainly not my favourite formation but the last time we were missing Maguire it worked really well against PSG with Axel probably having his best game in a Utd shirt. Although we’ve certainly had varying degrees of success with it, I just don’t trust any combination of our CB’s in a back 4 that doesn’t feature Maguire.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What do people think of a back 3 for the final? It’s certainly not my favourite formation but the last time we were missing Maguire it worked really well against PSG with Axel probably having his best game in a Utd shirt. Although we’ve certainly had varying degrees of success with it, I just don’t trust any combination of our CB’s in a back 4 that doesn’t feature Maguire.
Changing system in the last day of the season especially final probably too much risk. We have been playing with back four most of the time.

ShinjiNinja26

Changing system in the last day of the season especially final probably too much risk. We have been playing with back four most of the time.
I thought so as well but with the league done and dusted and Wolves being a dead rubber they could have worked on it leading up to the final. It most likely won’t happen anyway I’m just extremely paranoid about Bailly/Axel and Lindelof at the back in a final. :lol:

UTD_Since_1978

Reading some of these posts in this thread I really can't see what people are seeing in Maguire, in my opinion he has been mostly awful this season.

I think a 60yo Steve Bruce would have played better than him this season & Maguire has to be one of the worst captains we have ever had.

If Robbo was dead he'd be spinning in his grave watching Maguire trying to command a penalty box, no wonder we have conceded so many goals from corners this season with him as our "star" defender & captain.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we not just put a chair in the middle of our half for him to sit there barking orders at Lindelof and Bailly?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Reading some of these posts in this thread I really can't see what people are seeing in Maguire, in my opinion he has been mostly awful this season.

I think a 60yo Steve Bruce would have played better than him this season & Maguire has to be one of the worst captains we have ever had.

If Robbo was dead he'd be spinning in his grave watching Maguire trying to command a penalty box, no wonder we have conceded so many goals from corners this season with him as our "star" defender & captain.
He started the season poorly, but he’s been good for the most part in my opinion.

We are not great defensively even with him in the team, but without him we are definitely worse.

UTD_Since_1978

...but without him we are definitely worse.
Erm...it is a well known fact that up to his injury he didn't miss a match & since his injury we played squad players vs Leicester, conceded one goal vs Fulham & conceded 4 vs Liverpool & Hendo & Lindelöf was at fault for those goals.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The other possibility is sacrificing Greenwood, and starting like this.

------Cavani-----Rashford
----------------Bruno
Telles---Fred----McTominay---AWB
--------Shaw-----Lindelof-----Axel

See how the first half goes before bringing Pogba on, and Mason around 70.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

The other possibility is sacrificing Greenwood, and starting like this.

------Cavani-----Rashford
----------------Bruno
Telles---Fred----McTominay---AWB
--------Shaw-----Lindelof-----Axel

See how the first half goes before bringing Pogba on, and Mason around 70.
Do we really need 2 DMs with 3 centre backs? McT starting with Pogba on the bench is a crime against football. The ability difference between the 2 is so ridiculous. It would be like starting Dan James & leaving Neymar on the bench.

Fridge chutney

You're wrong on pretty much every level..

The very much alive Robbo had this to say about Maguire:

Alive Robbo on Maguire said:
“You can always tell when lads are captain material – you can feel it."

"Harry, he’s a top player. The only thing he might get criticised for is pace but he reads things really well, gets great blocks in, he’s brilliant in the air defensively."
He goes on to explain what a great leader Maguire is by giving real examples.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Do we really need 2 DMs with 3 centre backs? McT starting with Pogba on the bench is a crime against football. The ability difference between the 2 is so ridiculous. It would be like starting Dan James & leaving Neymar on the bench.
Fair point. I know its more football manager style, but I'd nearly play Mctominay as the middle man in the back 3, shift Lingard to the rcb, drop Axel, and play Pogba beside Fred.

AgentSmith

Awkward.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Just curious what you think of the other cbs

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Fair point. I know its more football manager style, but I'd nearly play Mctominay as the middle man in the back 3, shift Lingard to the rcb, drop Axel, and play Pogba beside Fred.
I know our centre-backs are dodgy, but I think you’re going a little far there. :lol:

Cast5

Please be playing mind games Ole, we need Maguire to play, he’s the glue in our defence, easily among the top CB’s in the league.