Maguire is no longer United captain

Paul778

There’s a PR article on sky sports where his frustrations have been clearly leaked to some journo friend

can’t wait to get rid of this deluded fraud
Read it and thought exactly the same. Complete puff piece - a very rose tinted view. Even the sky sports clip of audio commentary of the Sevilla game tried its best to avoid blaming him.

Lots of options my arse. Let see if he can find ANYONE to buy him for north of 20m without us subsidising his wages.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Read it and thought exactly the same. Complete puff piece - a very rose tinted view. Even the sky sports clip of audio commentary of the Sevilla game tried its best to avoid blaming him.

Lots of options my arse. Let see if he can find ANYONE to buy him for north of 20m without us subsidising his wages.
That's what English media does with (white) England players. See Kane, never anything negative, always defending him.

JediSith

Yesterday I thought the Maguire was shocked and angry was just poor online click bait journalism. But now it’s on Sky Sports.

If this is real has there ever been a player so deluded and arrogant ? But it does go with his “do you know who I am” comment and trying to bribe Greek police which shows he’s a bit of a narcissist.

What was the point of his statement yesterday?

Terry Chango

I’ve never warmed to him, but the dignified way he’s handled himself in recent times has rather impressed me. And yes it’s weird that people find grounds to further criticise him for stuff like this :rolleyes:
What about that celebration for England, not taking responsibility in interviews, the media leaks, getting into a fight abroad as United Captain regardless of the situation, multiple poor performances and clearly bottling it on the pitch on occasions etc etc.

He’s been a disaster and he’s left himself open to much of the criticism IMO.

JediSith

I’ve never warmed to him, but the dignified way he’s handled himself in recent times has rather impressed me. And yes it’s weird that people find grounds to further criticise him for stuff like this :rolleyes:
The statement followed by this on sky sports.

“Harry Maguire 'not short of options' if he decides to leave Manchester United this summer; England defender left angry by treatment and feels he has been effectively put up for sale; Maguire was stripped of Man Utd captaincy on Sunday”

How has he been treated badly by the club ? He’s not good enough, we are clearly better without him even with our top 2 CB out we were better off playing our 3rd choice CB and Luke Shaw, a LB. Are we supposed to just play him because he is Harry fecking Maguire?

Should he remain as captain so that when he comes on for 2 minutes the real captain has to take off the armband and give it to him? Surely he’s not a 3 year old who needs a cake on his siblings birthday and keeping him as captain would actually be pretty belittling.

RuudTom83

I think the reason United never seem to get bids for players is down to the players themselves vetoing any possible moves via their agents.

Realistically the only team the likes of Maguire and McTom would join this summer are Newcastle and Spurs.

m1tch

Maguire is consistent I'll give him that, consistently unable to know how to act publicly. A disaster at post-match interviews, thinks scoring against Albania answers his critics, and he's felt the need to say he's shocked and amazed that he's lost the armband.

He's definitely got friends in the media. PR stories about a summer of 1-1 coaching ... too little too late mate! Then the stuff on sky now and having plenty of options and reeling off his 'achievements' with England where they've beaten teams they were meant to beat and nothing more.

He's a passenger not a leader and despite his media mates' best efforts we'll struggle to sell him. A few mid table sides might offer a loan but no one's banging our door down at half his original price. He should keep his head down and consider himself lucky he's not being forced to train with the kids ala Schweinsteiger.

Strelok

“Harry Maguire 'not short of options' if he decides to leave Manchester United this summer; England defender left angry by treatment and feels he has been effectively put up for sale; Maguire was stripped of Man Utd captaincy on Sunday”
If this is true I'm really disapointed with him.

I was of the opinion he knew his place and was pretty class after he let Bruno lifting the EL cup together with him and let Bruno carrying the cup all the way to the ground. Absolutely delusional if he can't see he's not suited to our current style at all and he has to leave if he wants game time. Let alone the armband.

James35

He can’t be that choosy unless he knows a bigger club is after him, all I care about is that he goes this summer.

Revaulx

What about that celebration for England,
Yeah he isn’t the most self aware. He’s from Yorkshire ;)

not taking responsibility in interviews,
Examples? His interviews are very dull but I don’t recall ones where he’s said anything amiss.

the media leaks,
What media leaks? I’d hardly call his latest tweet a leak.

getting into a fight abroad as United Captain regardless of the situation,
Ages ago. I was commenting on his recent behaviour.

multiple poor performances and clearly bottling it on the pitch on occasions etc etc.
Yeah he’s not good enough and has been getting worse. Where have I defended his performances on the pitch?

He’s been a disaster and he’s left himself open to much of the criticism IMO.
Oh he has and he deserves plenty of criticism. It’s weird that people feel the need to find fault with stuff that there’s really nothing wrong with.

Revaulx

How has he been treated badly by the club ? He’s not good enough, we are clearly better without him even with our top 2 CB out we were better off playing our 3rd choice CB and Luke Shaw, a LB. Are we supposed to just play him because he is Harry fecking Maguire?

Should he remain as captain so that when he comes on for 2 minutes the real captain has to take off the armband and give it to him? Surely he’s not a 3 year old who needs a cake on his siblings birthday and keeping him as captain would actually be pretty belittling.
He hasn’t been treated badly by the club. Not at all.

There was nothing in his tweet that people are getting so worked up about to suggest that any of the bolded is true.

Journalists don’t need to be fed stuff by players to come out with anti-United bollocks. It was ever thus.

BarstoolProphet

Examples? His interviews are very dull but I don’t recall ones where he’s said anything amiss.

Yeah he’s not good enough and has been getting worse. Where have I defended his performances on the pitch?

Oh he has and he deserves plenty of criticism. It’s weird that people feel the need to find fault with stuff that there’s really nothing wrong with.
Re interviews: It's not that he has been saying controversial stuff, more that he pretty much never showed up for interviews after losses, leaving it to Bruno and especially DdG to handle it.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He can't go if no one wants him.
Very True !!
He was always going to be difficult to move.
Age, price, ability & wages !!
Only a few clubs can afford his wages & most clubs these days want a mobile defence.

SydneyRoughDiamond

Unfortunately, every press conference on the tour will be about Harry, and why hes no longer the captain I fear.

Waynne

Well, Sanchez did play well against city when they could have won the title against us at the Etihad.
its the ridiculous wages this guy was on that rubbed me the wrong way. That and hardly any real contributions on the pitch. Then goes and talks shite about the club after he left.

clarkydaz

Re interviews: It's not that he has been saying controversial stuff, more that he pretty much never showed up for interviews after losses, leaving it to Bruno and especially DdG to handle it.
until he played a game where he didnt mess up, and was safe to come forward

Wilt

Without doubt Casemiro. He has the respect of everyone and the class to carry it off.

Ffs not Bruno, can’t have a Utd captain winging, crying, pleading etc ….very much doubt there’s an official in the PL who would take him seriously.

Revaulx

Shaw has done plenty as well. Some of them have been pretty weird!

I’m not sure how players get chosen to do interviews. Do they volunteer? Are they chosen for their handsome looks? Who does the choosing? Does the club give the broadcasters an “approved list” they can pick from?

Maybe Harry is on that list but broadcasters never pick him ‘cos of his big head or dull demeanour.

Whatever, I don’t think I’d feel confident of accusing him of shirking interviews unless I was certain he was deliberately not putting himself forward.

Terry Chango

Fair enough about Yorkshire :D

I wasn’t keen on his pre match interview before we lost against Liverpool 4-0 in 2022. Then the interviews where be stated that he had nothing to prove, again it was tone deaf

Maguire’s camps have leaked plenty as people have joked about on Red Cafe. He has plenty of friends in the press which were in full force when he got into trouble abroad, dropped by United, his England spot questioned due to lack of game time, leaks about Captaincy, clubs supposedly interested in Harry and him doing individual training in the summer trying to impress.

Loads of players use the press and it’s not that deep but he has done it IMO.

You say the trouble abroad was ages ago but it was only two years ago. Subjective I guess but again as a United captain it wasn’t ideal and just another mark on his card.

Then there’s the performances on the pitch.

All the above issues I’ve listed are valid criticism as United fan.

I think it’s my only post in the thread and I haven’t wasted any posts historically criticising him as I can’t be arsed but I do get why some United fans had enough way back.

JediSith

Unfortunately, every press conference on the tour will be about Harry, and why hes no longer the captain I fear.
I think the great thing about ETH is that he’ll probably answer it once and make clear “that’s the end” and then the next journalist that inevitably tries to test him will get made to look silly. And that’ll be that.

If I recall he managed to stop the Ronaldo situation taking centre stage of press conferences.

Cloud7

I think this is a sign that the club is trying to push him out and he is digging his heels in. If he was amicably going to another club, I don't think this would have happened as the captaincy issue naturally disappears if he leaves. That ETH saw the need to remove it makes me think there is some reluctance there and this is them trying to gently push him out.

RedDevil@84

I think this is a sign that the club is trying to push him out and he is digging his heels in. If he was amicably going to another club, I don't think this would have happened as the captaincy issue naturally disappears if he leaves. That ETH saw the need to remove it makes me think there is some reluctance there and this is them trying to gently push him out.
If he stays on, there is a good chance that ETH starts playing kids ahead of him.

Doracle

I think the reason United never seem to get bids for players is down to the players themselves vetoing any possible moves via their agents.

Realistically the only team the likes of Maguire and McTom would join this summer are Newcastle and Spurs.
We pay players we buy too much. Sancho and Maguire are good examples where we could surely have paid them much less given their prior wages. As it is, we now have Maguire on a wage that most clubs can’t afford and he, understandably, has no desire to take a massive pay cut.

Oldyella

That's what English media does with (white) England players. See Kane, never anything negative, always defending him.
Goes as far back as Shearer booting a player in the head and getting away with it, sure there's examples further back as well.

Zen86

Maguire is one of, if not the most derided and criticised player in the PL. His reputation has been pummelled in the last couple of years.

RVN1991

Not sure how I feel about Bruno being the new captain. Casemiro seems a more a logical pick for me.

Melville Red

I don't blame OGS for waiting him as he was one of the hottest properties in England at that point of time. However I blame OGS for giving him the captaincy shortly after and clearly he didn't have enough to lead a team of demoralised players who he may not be familiar with. I am a firm believer of considering the seniority of a player at our club before giving them the captaincy. I hope ETH don't make the same mistake. As much as Case, Varane and Licha have done admirably well, I think it is more suitable to give to another person that has been with us for longer time eg. Bruno/ shaw
The way Shaw has improved under ETG I’d be tempted to make Him captain, however I like the fact that he plays with no pressure and will like to keep it that way which only leaves Bruno, maybe give Shaw the armband when Bruno is unavailable/rested.

KanieKaned

Bruno first albeit slightly reluctantly given how he can be very petulant and refs may not like it. After that I would have Shaw and Rashford. Realistically the armband is feck all and the likely on pitch captains would be the likes of Case and Varane. Been there, done it and have the mentality.

marcus agrippa

Just feels like some made up bs.
You really believe everything you read don’t you?
You're telling me you don't just uncritically believe everything that some rando from The Sun says?? :eek:
Well, Sky are reporting it as well, and we know Maguire (or his reps) use them for PR (Keane hinted at that some time ago) ...

Maguire angry and confused. Not short of options. He has dealt with adversity before. He has fought hard before... bla...PR..bla...LOL

RedOrange

I’m not sure how players get chosen to do interviews. Do they volunteer? Are they chosen for their handsome looks? Who does the choosing? Does the club give the broadcasters an “approved list” they can pick from?

Maybe Harry is on that list but broadcasters never pick him ‘cos of his big head or dull demeanour.
It's this. They can't fit it in the frame.

TheRedDevil2019

I would say the captain and vice should be the two most successful players we have, whom would command respect from anyone and everyone.

Casemiro and Varane.

As much as I like Bruno, if half the team are thinking you're a whinging tit, then he's already lost the race in this.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I would say the captain and vice should be the two most successful players we have, whom would command respect from anyone and everyone.

Casemiro and Varane.

As much as I like Bruno, if half the team are thinking you're a whinging tit, then he's already lost the race in this.
Well he plays every game and he speaks good English.