Maguire is no longer United captain

United Hobbit

Right decision - hopefully trying to put pressure on him to move

Wonder who will be the replacement and vice captain as DDG can't now either

Bruno?

Jacob

The right move, no question about it. He knew it was coming.

Give it to Bruno!

Von Mistelroum

He seems genuinely perplexed that he's lost the captaincy, and to think that he's only got to work hard to be a first team player again. I guess the kind of delusion you need to be a winner, but still... Can't imagine him leaving if he thinks that way.

prateik

He isn't first choice anymore.. he cant be captain..
Other than that, I dont really dislike him or want him gone.. He is perfectly fine 3rd/4th choice

His wages might be higher than a normal 4th choice.. but we have handed out shit contracts in the past.. It's not my money.. and 100k/week or 5m/year extra means nothing to the club.

If he wants to stay as backup, great. If he wants to move on, hope he does well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The right decision, been a farcical situation for too long and he was always given it way too soon.

Ten Hag just keeps making firm but correct decisions. Glad this is over with. Bruno and Casemiro have to be the 2.

Mmm-Qatarian

Was there any need for a statement?
I think it's a good way to do it. Get ahead of the media with their "Maguire FURIOUS after losing the captaincy" by putting your own statement out about it.

If anyone has an issue with what Maguire has Tweeted they need to get a fecking grip.

IRN-BRUno

Ten Hag has handled this situation very well. It's been obvious from the start that Maguire wasn't really in his plans but to come in and strip him of the captaincy straight away would have created unnecessary issues. He's got through that first year, gradually eased him out of the side and now is the right time to make the decision.

If Maguire wants to stay and fight for his place then fair enough, but he's rightly going to be 4th/5th choice and it would be best for everyone if he moved on. A fresh start somewhere there's less pressure on him is what he needs.

Idxomer

He isn't first choice anymore.. he cant be captain..
Other than that, I dont really dislike him or want him gone.. He is perfectly fine 3rd/4th choice

His wages might be higher than a normal 4th choice.. but we have handed out shit contracts in the past.. 5m / year extra means nothing to the club.

If he wants to stay as backup, great. If he wants to move on, hope he does well.
You can't have a player who earns 200k/week as a 5th choice. Clubs always try to get rid of players in these kinds of situations for a reason. 5m also means a lot to the club, they have been haggling all summer over that amount of money.

el3mel

Best decision Ten Hag has ever done as a United manager. Feels so, so fecking good.

Kag

He seems genuinely perplexed that he's lost the captaincy, and to think that he's only got to work hard to be a first team player again. I guess the kind of delusion you need to be a winner, but still... Can't imagine him leaving if he thinks that way.
He doesn’t, though, does he?

This is the right decision, and I’m pleased Ten Hag has made it, but attempting to turn a respectful statement into some sort of stick to beat Maguire with is just pathetic.

Mmm-Qatarian

That's a good point.
I'd also imagine that this was done with the club's blessing. From a United perspective it really doesn't matter whether it comes from the club or from Maguire himself, and as I say I think this way is actually more shrewd.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bruno should've been handed the armband the day he arrived.
Eh that was part of the issue with Maguire. Giving players the armband right when they join is a bit of a farce. Give them at least a year to assert their role onto the squad naturally so that it just makes sense.

SirAnderson

Well considering ETH doesn't have him as a regular in the team, it make sense. He left him for a season, and respectfully did it before the new, which was kind in itself.

Naturally Bruno seems to be the best choice for me. Licha is also one of those that you can easily get behind as a captain but have he just got here.

EtH choice all season last season makes the new choice a bit obvious.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
at this stage he’s more of a sap for staying than the husband of that police officer who was giving b-jibbers to all her co-workers.

Apokalips

I think it's a good way to do it. Get ahead of the media with their "Maguire FURIOUS after losing the captaincy" by putting your own statement out about it.

If anyone has an issue with what Maguire has Tweeted they need to get a fecking grip.
Agreed, we have fully avoided the sensationalist headlines coming out. I reckon this reality check will help Harold start to seriously think about leaving being his best option and understanding his place in the pecking order is not down to injuries or whatever other excuses he would have naturally been telling himself. Not a shot at him, but we would all convince ourselves that there were other reasons and that we could fight back to win our place, especially if the manager has kept you on as club captain. This confirms that the manager wants to take things in a different direction.

Ten Hag has done a great job with Harold, Ronaldo and many other situations so far. Although, Weghorst was a bloody disaster!

Someone

Something
Correct decision, though I was hoping it'd take place by default once he's sold this summer. A bit harsh telling him now. Most likely he made it clear that he wants to stay.

Bruno will be the next captain but for me it's the wrong decision. I'd rather Varane or Cas, who have the mental strength and the right attitude on the pitch, Bruno has neither.

Mmm-Qatarian

Exactly my thoughts. Why the statement? Comes across entitled and bitter.
Wtf no it doesn't. It comes across as entitled and bitter because you hate him; nothing in the actual statement comes across that way even in the slightest.