Maguire needs to be replaced

Levi1

This shouldn't even be contentious. He's probably never been in worse form in his life. His confidence is shot and he doesnt look like he knows what he's doing. Im sure if he had a decent defensive coach, they might have helped him through it, but either way he should be dropped for now

Reactions: Sultan

dave1956

He is around 28 years old, probably been coached at a professional club from 10 years onward and yet why should he need a defensive coach to relearn the basics of defending. He is like a number of players who over the years have come to Utd., with excellent records but have been unable to take that step up to the next level required when playing for this club.

YouknowNani

For those complaining about the number of Maguire threads....there can never be too many in my opinion given his current form and Ole's refusal to drop him.

What does he have to do for the coaching staff to take him out of the team? Score an own goal every game? Because he may as well do that given the amount of chances and goals that come directly from his mistakes.

So what he cost 80M. He's going to cost the club far more than that in terms of league position and never winning anything with him in the side. He simply isn't good enough. Never has been and never will be.

Mr Smith

Replacing him is OTT at this stage, but he is woefully out of form and does need to be dropped. A few weeks out of the firing line would be a big help.

Artimities

His form is off. Well over worked with the likes of international football. He has recently been injured and working his way back into form. The real question is why My man Eric B hasn’t hit more run outs.

sdb4884

Far out you couldn't have one player doing so much to hold the team back like Maguire is right now and one player doing his utmost to keep us from losing like Ronaldo.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Maguire is horrible, Bailly was much better today. It's criminal what Ole is doing with player selection.

Our team this year is heartbreaking, but I am here for the fiesta that is Bruno - Ronaldo - Cavani up front, if our fecking defense can stop spoiling the pleasure, FFS.

Last edited:

bugmat

He's getting over criticized here. He's a very good player.

Its not his fault he has Shaw and Lindelof beside him.

Ole's tactics in playing a midfield two of Fred and Scott and four forwards doesn't help either.

As soon as we go 4-3-3 it will be less pressure on the defense or I think even 5-3-2 at the moment the way we are leaking goals.
This take hasn't aged well. Maguire is not and will never be world class. We paid world class money for a guy who is simply a good CB at best, if you play him in a system designed to cover his flaws (lack of pace, lack of turnability, indecisiveness). Would not make it at Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
What's happened to our defence - Is it just players out of form or is it a deeper issue. We brought one of the worlds best centre-halves and our defence is much worse than last season.

On a side note why does Ole not drop his favorites? Harry would be my 4th choice CB hell I'll even stick Jones on before him now but under Ole, he is still the first name on the team sheet. Mindblowing.....

Last edited:

Amira

In fairness to Varane, we look our best at the back when he is out there, but whatever value he brings is being cancelled out by the dross we are getting from Maguire at the moment.

Why Maguire cannot be dropped is beyond me honestly. I’m having nightmares thinking of what dross he’ll conjure up at City

Reactions: Sultan

Chicharo

We did brought Varane, but he already got injured twice since he came, Maguire never was and never will be good enough. IMO, only Shaw's form has dropped off, last season he was great

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Drop Maguire? For whom?

Bailly is a walking mistake, Jones is unfit, Varane is injured. Lindelof is steady if unspectacular and cannot lead the line.

So that begs the question, why would we drop our best CB? A CB who has been rushed back from injury, but who has played in near enough every game since he's been here.

Daengophile

I'm sure Maguire can be turned around.

Relieve him of the captaincy so he can focus

Introduce a solid defence structure

Matt007a

He’s bang out of form for sure. Problem is Bailly, despite being great tonight is always 2 seconds from injury or a red card. Varane keeps picking up minor injuries and Lindelof isn’t capable of leading the line. He’s a covering defender who needs a dominant figure next to him to win the first ball.

You could argue that whoever plays in his place can’t possibly be worse but they also won’t be any better. Rock and a hard place.

Coleyoscar

Replacing him is OTT at this stage, but he is woefully out of form and does need to be dropped. A few weeks out of the firing line would be a big help.
Agree with this. He looks like he's carrying an injury or still suffering a Euro hangover (Shaw's similar drop in form seems to suggest that it might be the latter). He needs time to recover.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think it's difficult for any defender to look good, bar some individual moments, in that current set-up. There is no defensive structure, it is the same as the midfield and forwards - just go out and be better than your opponent stuff.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not sure if it's the transfer we need the most because we need a CDM and a RWB first but -

I always felt we could use a left footed CB.

Getting one could really drop Maguire when he is in this type of form.

If we do go for a CB again it (we are playing 3 at the back so not the most unlikely thing) -

Some options are
  • Pau Torres
  • Sven Botman
  • Lisandro Martinez (also CDM)

Also felt that if Conte had become our manager that maybe he could have bought Bastoni here.

padzilla

Hipster
I think he either needs to improve quickly or get a reminder he isn't guaranteed a starting place when fit.
I am not sure Ole Gunnar Southgate is the man to sort this type of problem, his man-management, which has been widely applauded, seems to boil down to being nice.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Drop Maguire? For whom?

Bailly is a walking mistake, Jones is unfit, Varane is injured. Lindelof is steady if unspectacular and cannot lead the line.

So that begs the question, why would we drop our best CB? A CB who has been rushed back from injury, but who has played in near enough every game since he's been here.
I understand where you're coming from with our limited choices. The goal at Leicester and some of his decision making have more to do with his state of mind and confidence than fitness.

Jonno

Maguire was excellent for us for most of his first two seasons for us. He's been a big part in driving us into the top 4 and then top 2.

He's also in atrocious form right now.

Some fans clearly don't seem to realise that good players can have bad form.

Wilt

I was stunned we paid £80m for him, but do think if we’d paid half that amount and had Ole not immediately loaded the captaincy on him, he wouldn’t seem quite so bad.

That said, he really is crap at the moment.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maguire was excellent for us for most of his first two seasons for us. He's been a big part in driving us into the top 4 and then top 2.

This is what bugs me the most. People saying he's crap or not good enough. He has been largely excellent for us since joining, especially last season and we fell apart as soon as he got injured. He was outstanding for England in the Euros and made the team of the tournament.

He's in awful form and perhaps needs some time out of the team but he's in no way a bad player.

justsomebloke

Agree very much with this. But he does look like he could do with a few games on the bench currently. But for that, we'll need Varane or at least Lindelof back.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
I think when a team fails to control games well enough, most centre backs or players in general can be sloppy too often.

He’s obviously in bad form, though I see that as more of the problem— something that will be helped when *hopefully* the right defensive midfielder is brought in.

That being said, I would 100% like to see a world class/extremely talented young centre back brought in too. Maguire is good enough, but I’d prefer one of those partnering Varane/giving him competition/playing in a 3.

AFC NimbleThumb

OTT how? He’s our captain & he needs ‘a few weeks out of the firing line’? We’ve already seen the excuses for last season when he got himself arrested & the fans gave him leeway. What the excuse for the performances against Spurs, Bournemouth & Southampton after ‘Project Restart’? He’s woeful.

This season alone, ignoring his previous bad spells, I’ve never seen Lindelof or even Bailly make as many errors in games. He’s nowhere near our best CB & should be nowhere near the captaincy.

When eventually a new manager arrives with no vested interest, Maguire will be demoted. He’s terrible in a 2 & needs protection in a 3. The excuses must end.

Levi1

Drop Maguire? For whom?

Bailly has had his fair share of bad games, for sure. But he often looks world class. I dont know why we should only remember Bailly's worst games and Maguire's best games. Just pick the player who is in form.

With the new formation (that I think is better for the team balance IF it allows us to play Cavani), i would be very happy with a back 3 of Varane, Lindelof and Bailly. With Varane out, I would still be happy with Lindelof and Bailly, if they've been prepared.

Edited

Chairman Steve

He needs to be dropped to the bench for rest and time out of the firing line, but he’s one of OGS’ favourites so no chance of that happening, unless it forces his hand.

Matthew84!

I must of watched a different game to all of you as I thought he did ok, had nothing to do with the first goal and was unlucky with the second, strikers get lucky with a marginal onside,
Pogba had a shocking game, we look worse with him in there,

gza the genius

Drop Maguire? For whom?

Can't play Bailly instead because he's a walking mistake meanwhile the amount of goals directly caused by Maguire this season has to be nearing double digits. I get it with Bailly and agree that generally Maguire would be the safe choice but at the moment Maguire is more likely to cause us getting scored on than Bailly ever has been.

Hammondo

The only time hes played well is when the rest of the team is setup to do most of the work for him.

AFC NimbleThumb

The only time hes played well is when the rest of the team is setup to do most of the work for him.
It really is that simple. We’ve got to pack the defence & midfield to cater for our £80mil Captain.

Leave him in a one-v-one or ask him to cover spaces & he’s a below average defender.

Giggsy13

His form has dropped off a cliff. The problem is that Ole creates zero accountability in the squad and continues to reward players like Maguire and Pogba with starts when viable options in Bailly and VDB are left on the bench. This ongoing pattern of playing favourites is going to burn Ole in the end. The right thing to do would be to bench Maguire until he is back to full fitness. Motivate the players to be better. What’s the point of having a big squad if you’re too dim witted to use it to its full potential.

Last edited:

jem

Drop Maguire? For whom?

Right now Maguire is every bit the walking mistake that Bailly is.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He is around 28 years old, probably been coached at a professional club from 10 years onward and yet why should he need a defensive coach to relearn the basics of defending. He is like a number of players who over the years have come to Utd., with excellent records but have been unable to take that step up to the next level required when playing for this club.
You have some people saying we are rubbish because of our coaches and then we have this….