Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

peridigm

I fully expect everyone will be moaning when we haven’t signed him by the close of the window. When is the last time an English source got something right with regards to our transfers. It’s too easy for them to put this out there so they do it.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Because he had a similar World Cup?
What else are we judging McGuire on or be happy to pay 50m for a player who only moved for 17m a few months ago?
He must have had a fantastic season for Leicester then so!

On a side note I've noticed I've always spelt his name wrong.
Maguire. Seems a bit rare when I'm surrounded by Mc everywhere I go
Henderson had a shit WC.

Maguire came of age if you ask me. It's not perhaps a priority but I'd take him over both Jones and Smalling at this stage.

Reminds me of Steve Bruce a bit actually.

Classical Mechanic

It's possible. He's nobody here in North Europe. Or at least was before World cup. But he had very good world cup, so i would say yes.
He's come up the hard way from the lower leagues. He won Sheffield United's player of the season 3 times. He won Hull's player's player of the year and fan's player of the year when they were relegated from the Premier League two years ago and at Leicester he won their player's player of the year and fan's player of the year last season.

It seems that those that play with him and watch him on a regular basis rate him very highly.

I think he's as good a bet as any to make the step up.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he's a great centre back and would probably be my number one choice if we are to get a centre back this summer.
Had a great season at Leicester and a very strong World Cup showing, plus he could be at United for years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maguire was brilliant at Hull, even better at Leicester and had a great world cup.
An immense man mountain of a player with excellent ball control, retention and great passing ability.
Still young and English to boot, not sure why anyone would think negatively if this transfer was to happen.

Son Of Sam

Harry Maguire is better than all our CBs bar Bailly. Smalling/Jones are not just good enough for what Jose is trying to achieve. It’s a travesty that they are still at the club.

Andersons Dietician

It was just a genuine query, I was starting to wonder if we really had gone mental as a nation and started to see every England player as a world class superstar :lol:

I don't remember saying if you don't support England you can't support Utd ever, so I'd probably not go down that route again mate if I was you, lets keep it factual.
You know what you’re right because I just looked back to the thread I thought I saw you saying that but it wasn’t yourself so I apologise.

Like I said Scottish and I think McGuire is good, thought he was also good at Hull and like I said I’d be happy if we bought him it’s just although I’m not a huge fan of Lindelof I saw enough of him at Benfica to know he is better than what he has shown us, Bailly I want to see more of before I really make up my mind and for me at what he does Smalling is our best defender currently. So unless we are shifting to 3 at the back or this 35mil plus defenders Jose bought become back up options I just don’t see where we fit him in.

At this point the muppet juices are near drying up and I need my next transfer hit so I say just do it :lol:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Better than Van Dijk, cheaper. What more can you ask for?

Top player. Have to make it happen, had to make it happen.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He’s not better than Van Dijk. Van Dijk is the complete centre back. Got everything.
No, not for the price paid for him. He's not the best. It's all relative. I find Maguire better as a player. He offers the same level of aerial threat, just as much strength and better passing. The game's moving away from defending again.

Minkaro

I’d be happy to see him here. Although I think we’d be better off losing a cb to make room. Smalling or Rojo.

Jib

Better than Jones, Rojo, Lindelof and Smalling for me. But they are average and unfortunately they won't leave the club this summer...

So if we bought only 1 CB, I want a young world class CB like Varane, Umtiti, VVD, Marquinhos or a very good player in his prime like Aldewereld.

Maguire is better than what we have but if we want to really improve the squad, I don't think that he's the answer. He's overrated by the british fans and I think that he's too slow for the CL. He might be exposed...

Last edited:

Bwuk

Better than everyone we have bar Bailly.

We should be all over this. Can’t get my head round people thinking he’s the same level as Jones and Smalling.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Woah woah woah, looks like we've got yet another overrated English player here, guys the meme is over, it's not coming home, you can stop it now.

poleglass red

Funny thing is, if this lad was German, Italian or whatever people on here would be all over him. What's not to like, he's aggressive, excellent in the air, and very comfortable with the ball at his feet and only 25. His only downside would be his inflated cost, but that's probably everyone we buy these days. He's been steady in the pl, he looked good at the world cup. He's defo ready to make the next step in his career. He also is that vocal presence we lack, and you could see him shouting at people when he had the ball, telling them where he wanted them to move to.We just paid nearly 50 million for a midfielder who played in the Ukrainian league and nearly 20 million on a kid whose played 7 or so games in Portugal. He'd be your centre half easily for next 7 yrs. I myself woudl be all over this deal but I don't see it happening.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Didn’t they also link him to Liverpool Just the other day. Seems to me like someone’s agent is angiling for a better contract based off of his WC performances.
If he was on the move he has looked pretty good from what I’ve seen of him. We have a butt load of defenders already so unless someone is going or we are shifting to 3 at the back I can’t really see it. What would that be 150mil on defenders since Jose arrived if we sign him? Possible 200+ if we move for Sandro as well.
You are shifting to 3 at the back.

kidbob

Funny thing is, if this lad was German, Italian or whatever people on here would be all over him. What's not to like, he's aggressive, excellent in the air, and very comfortable with the ball at his feet and only 25. His only downside would be his inflated cost, but that's probably everyone we buy these days. He's been steady in the pl, he looked good at the world cup. He's defo ready to make the next step in his career. He also is that vocal presence we lack, and you could see him shouting at people when he had the ball, telling them where he wanted them to move to.We just paid nearly 50 million for a midfielder who played in the Ukrainian league and nearly 20 million on a kid whose played 7 or so games in Portugal. He'd be your centre half easily for next 7 yrs. I myself woudl be all over this deal but I don't see it happening.
His downside, along with Stones is that he's a defender who can't defend. He's 25, he's unlikely to learn it now and costs too much to take the risk that he might. Rio was the perfect example of a great mix of footballer and defender but Maguire will never be anything like that. Pretty to look at sure but the boy is an average defender and we already have no clear stand out partner for him and 2 wingers at full back. We need a centre half who can organise and defend before we go looking for a pretty ball player.

Case in point- Spain. One of Ramos or Pique should play with Azpi next to them. You need defenders who can do the defensive job first and foremost. Maguire has been average for Leicester and I won't be swayed that he is worth the money because of a couple of performances against below par nations.

ravi2

If we get him then one of Jones or Smalling has to go. Probably Jones.
Good , its about time.
With his injury record, the fact that he is still at OT is ridiculous.

Raf was sold for much less :(

The Purley King

Sell Rojo and Jones - get Maguire - job done.
Well - apart from buying the two starting full backs we still need.

ravi2

Be a quality purchase.

He is strong, excellent in the air, fantastic on the ball, can dribble, seems a level headed lad and is absolutely huge.

Only weakness is pace.

Don't understand some of the comments here at all.

Would be our best CB alongside Bailly.

People talking about Pique, Chellini and Silva who are all finished or very close to the end. :houllier:

Sign him up Jose.
Agree with this. He’s typical of a fergie signing . He’s going to get better and would benefit from playing with better players. Jones and rojo are perennial sick notes

I agree , this is the exact type of signing SAF would have made.

Sp00ks11

Maguire was brilliant at Hull, even better at Leicester and had a great world cup.
An immense man mountain of a player with excellent ball control, retention and great passing ability.
Still young and English to boot, not sure why anyone would think negatively if this transfer was to happen.
Agree with this 100%

I remember us playing Hull a couple of seasons back and thinking he was brilliant. The only reason people don't want him is likely because he is English and they want an exotic foreign sounding player to arrive.

Maguire and Bailly at CB would be great.

kidbob

Agree with this 100%

I remember us playing Hull a couple of seasons back and thinking he was brilliant. The only reason people don't want him is likely because he is English and they want an exotic foreign sounding player to arrive.

Maguire and Bailly at CB would be great.
Stop this foreign name shit FFS. We are a club that have had a high number of great English centre halfs play for us. If Maguire signs he'll have everyones full hope and support no doubt, including mine. However where you see greatness many people, myself included, see great flaws. This guy isn't Rio. I don't care where he's from but for me the lad is not defensively good enough to throw into a team where our best defender is young and apparently injury prone and we have two aging wingers as full backs. For me we need a defender and organiser first and Maguire, IMO, is neither of these things. 20 million sure but 50 million no.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
These are the sort of signings fergie used to make. He is better than Jones for me. Jones will never ever stay fit.

kidbob

How did he get voted player's player of the year and fan's player of the year for them then?
Because they had an average season by the standard of team they have. Robbie Keane was probably Spurs player of the year before, was he good enough for us?

kidbob

These are the sort of signings fergie used to make. He is better than Jones for me. Jones will never ever stay fit.
A rock is better than Jones. If we are making a signing because they are better than Jones and Smalling then we are fecked.

Decomposing In Paris

Maguire is an interesting one... because my initial honest reaction is that he isn't good enough. However, if then asked for an attainable alternative who would be sure to perform better, I tend to be at a bit of a loss.

At the start of the summer and for the right price, I would have seen Hummels (just an example, not that he is in any way attainable) as a pretty good purchase, but Maguire certainly outperformed him in the World Cup. Godin is better for instance, but getting on, and wouldn't come cheap either.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Stop this foreign name shit FFS. We are a club that have had a high number of great English centre halfs play for us. If Maguire signs he'll have everyones full hope and support no doubt, including mine. However where you see greatness many people, myself included, see great flaws. This guy isn't Rio. I don't care where he's from but for me the lad is not defensively good enough to throw into a team where our best defender is young and apparently injury prone and we have two aging wingers as full backs. For me we need a defender and organiser first and Maguire, IMO, is neither of these things. 20 million sure but 50 million no.
There isn't a chance in hell of getting Maguire for anything less than £50 million, not after the way he performed for Leicester last season and England in the world cup.

As ball playing center-backs go, this lad is right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.