Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where? Quote me

Someone who cant even read my posts thinks they can read defensive football better than Chris Smalling and is in a position to judge his ability.

I asked you to name 3 mistakes from the past season and 5 from his entire career because I knew you have done no research whatsoever. Its about you not Smalling.
Are you genuinely asking someone to find 5 Chris Smalling mistakes?
He probably made triple that in the Fulham games after we'd signed him, with most of us thinking, hmmm...

5 mistakes for us ever? Too easy.

Red card recklessness v City
Letting Kompany smash in the header v City the year we stuffed the league up
FA Cup final red card v Palace
Own goal v Everton, FA Cup semi
Own goal v Bournemouth (denying De Gea golden glove)

Having said this,i still think he's solid :lol:

Ekeke

Are you genuinely asking someone to find 5 Chris Smalling mistakes?
He probably made triple that in the Fulham games after we'd signed him, with most of us thinking, hmmm...

5 mistakes for us ever? Too easy.

Red card recklessness v City
Letting Kompany smash in the header v City the year we stuffed the league up
FA Cup final red card v Palace
Own goal v Everton, FA Cup semi
Own goal v Bournemouth (denying De Gea golden glove)

Having said this,i still think he's solid :lol:

Yes it is easy. And yet he failed to do it.

Like I said before its not about Smalling. It was about a poster who clearly did no research and was too lazy to do any so he made up a bunch of stuff.

I didnt at any point say Smalling hasnt made 5 mistakes. I asked if that poster could name 5 mistakes. He couldnt

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Like I said before its not about Smalling. It was about a poster who clearly did no research and was too lazy to do any so he made up a bunch of stuff.

I didnt at any point say Smalling hasnt made 5 mistakes. I asked if that poster could name 5 mistakes. He couldnt
Fair does.
Maybe it needed to be Jonesy mistakes to make it easier for him :lol:

Giggsyking

Simon Grayson opinion about a possible move of Mcguire on skysports

“I think when you can do it on the highest stage at the World Cup, you should be ready,” he told Sky Sports.

“It’s a big step up – of course it is, playing for a club like Manchester United if that was to happen – but I’m sure he’d take it in his stride as he seems that type of lad where nothing seems to faze him.

“Maguire has played a lot more in the last few years, he’s slightly younger, but ultimately it’ll come down to which one will be available.

“Both Tottenham and Leicester City may not want to sell. One club might want to sell and the other not.

“It’s very difficult at this time of the year as lots of people are linked with moves but it needs to take two willing parties to make that happen.”

WPMUFC

Claude Puel has issued a hands-off warning to Manchester United and Chelsea and says he is confident Leicester City will keep hold of key duo Harry Maguire and Kasper Schmeichel.

City’s owners have made it clear he is not for sale at any price.

“We cannot lose players just a few days before the beginning of the season. We would not be able to find a solution and we cannot be be behind.
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...laude-puels-message-manchester-united-1837608
YAY!!!
:drool::drool::D

99withaflake

Inappropriate Content

No, you made a ridiculous claim, and the reason you made it was apparently because you wanted me to spend my time trawling YouTube clips to present to you for your professional analytical validation. You don’t employ anyone on here. We don’t all have to run around after you and your silly little requests to please you and make you feel powerful, because it may lack in other parts of your life. You got called out on talking crap and resorted to a trolling tactic which was predictable yet fun.

The fact you think Smalling didn’t make a mistake misjudging the ball and falling on top of it, or positioning himself better to block their best player in the air (because he knew he was injured), borders on being semi retarted, and certainly arrogance. It’s absolutely hilarious to read through that conversation but I do admire both your spin and stubbornness.

BlueHaze

I'd take Maguire over Toby any day. But this seems like it won't be happening, if we really wanted him we would have gotten him by now, I believe the owners are done spending for this summer im afraid.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'd take Maguire over Toby any day. But this seems like it won't be happening, if we really wanted him we would have gotten him by now, I believe the owners are done spending for this summer im afraid.
I think Leicester are playing hardball on the price & Toby is a more reasonable in terms of price

Jacob

So many "support" United as a symptom or consequence for their die-hard fanaticism for individual players.
Or managers. I have to admit part of my passion died once Fergie left. I loved him a little too much. Or simply the notion of having a long-lasting manager with great character and a solid plan.

Yidarmy

Supports
Tottenham
I think Leicester are playing hardball on the price & Toby is a more reasonable in terms of price
What do you think Toby's price is then?, I'll tell you if United want Toby it will cost them Martial. No Martial = No Toby, Levy will not budge.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope you're right and Spurs won't sell Toby without Martial going the other way, as it means we won't bother with him.

I don't see how he's more reasonably priced than Maguire either. Prices seem similar according to the media, and Maguire is younger, more fitting to our needs and English.

Frank Grimes

I initially preferred Alderweireld but I must admit I've come around to the idea of Maguire instead. I have always rated him and it does make more sense to pay a similar fee for him than Alderweireld, giving their respective ages.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It was just too obvious for any football observer he was just too good for Hull. He's looked comfortable playing for Leicester in a packed defence who's tactics are mostly counter-attack. Looked comfortable for England. He oozes composure, unlike our defenders who seem to panic when on the ball and are always rushed. I personally think he would be an upgrade, but not in the same league as some of the best CB's in the world. However, they will likely be unattainable so we need to compromise. I hope he takes preference over Toby (although Toby is a slightly better player when fit) due to his age and likelihood of him being at United for many years.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
What do you think Toby's price is then?, I'll tell you if United want Toby it will cost them Martial. No Martial = No Toby, Levy will not budge.
Toby 45 in this silly market due to his age and contract situation. Martial 75 due to his age, skill set now and likely future improvement. Just my assessment. Although I hope no deal materialises.

Nick7

That's one of the most hilarious "swaps" ever proposed. If that happened, I would despair. There is no way that Martial should ever be the same price as Alderweireld :lol::lol::lol:

WPMUFC

The manager has been told there are still finances to strengthen his squad, with there being no need for Mourinho to sell before making any purchase.

United’s hierarchy are sympathetic to the manager’s unease and there remains optimism that Mourinho could still make a fourth signing, at least.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nagers-transfer-frustrations?CMP=share_btn_tw

So sources say we've moved onto Maguire, someone that was not Jose's top pick, yet we have the money available without needing to sell. So we gave up on our top choices for Maguire...why?

Any deal is possible, especially for those players that have had credible rumours this window. Does woodward just not like confrontation? He just likes to make the signings that cost a packet, yet the other clubs are easier to work with?

Yidarmy

Supports
Tottenham
That's one of the most hilarious "swaps" ever proposed. If that happened, I would despair. There is no way that Martial should ever be the same price as Alderweireld :lol::lol::lol:
Forget last season as Toby was being taught a lesson and not played much after his injury as then refusing to sign the contract he had agreed as vVD was bought by Pool and put on more money. Toby has, since signing for us, been one of the Best CD in the PL if not Europe. Now lets look at Martial - he can't even get game time with you and lost his place in the WC winning France's side so guess you can imagine how P'd off he is. So your valuations are seriously miles off.

Toby has 4 years left at the top of his game and don't believe all you read on here he is not Injury Prone his in last 3 years has suffered 2 Hammy and was back after 7 weeks for both, as stated above the reason he only played cup games until end of season had nothing to do with being injured, just his attitude which neither Poch or Levy would stand for. I for one salute them for that.

Bottom line and I think you'll agree you need Toby or someone like him more than we need Martial and Levy knows that too.

jmaggio

You can find videos like that for every defender. Whilst I don't think Smalling is perfect, but you're over exaggerating stuff about him.
He’s over exaggerating to prove a point tho, people have come into this thread posting short clips of Maguire against Liverpool to prove “he’s shit lol” then continuing to claim they have seen every game he’s ever played when challenged. Then there was another poster who claimed Smalling hadn’t made 5 mistakes in his career. This guy is playing devils advocate.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Lets hope those "sources" are correct and we're all in on Maguire, it would be a crumb of comfort in this baffling window.
with Leicester sources claiming they won't sell due to no time for a good replacement.

This has got a fellaini-esque midnight panic feel about it. Feels like maguire might even be unachievable and it will be some U/21's french kid.

Judas

Open to offers
There's plenty of time for them to get a replacement, they're being linked with loads of players.

I know you desperately don't want the deal to happen, I hope you'll be able to cope if it does.

WPMUFC

There's plenty of time for them to get a replacement, they're being linked with loads of players.

I know you desperately don't want the deal to happen, I hope you'll be able to cope if it does.
I'll take maguire over some u/21 kid. I'm not completely stupid ;) I just think this level of incompetence needs continual highlighting.

with Leicester sources claiming they won't sell due to no time for a good replacement.
That’s negotiation. You only come out and say your happy to accept a bid if you want the player to be gone. This might get them an extra £5-10m, can’t blame them for making a scarce resource even more scarce to drive up price.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s negotiation. You only come out and say your happy to accept a bid if you want the player to be gone. This might get them an extra £5-10m, can’t blame them for making a scarce resource even more scarce to drive up price.
Or they simply don't want to sell, what you say is correct but it's only one half of the potential story.

WPMUFC

You assume. The window closes in 10 days. Maguires value doesn't suddenly drop if they decide to keep him. He's now got the "Englands next big hope" tag on him. He keeps LEI in relatively good shape and they have no reason to sell beyond cashing in early.

kr0nix

Simon Grayson opinion about a possible move of Mcguire on skysports

“I think when you can do it on the highest stage at the World Cup, you should be ready,” he told Sky Sports.

“It’s a big step up – of course it is, playing for a club like Manchester United if that was to happen – but I’m sure he’d take it in his stride as he seems that type of lad where nothing seems to faze him.

“Maguire has played a lot more in the last few years, he’s slightly younger, but ultimately it’ll come down to which one will be available.

“Both Tottenham and Leicester City may not want to sell. One club might want to sell and the other not.

“It’s very difficult at this time of the year as lots of people are linked with moves but it needs to take two willing parties to make that happen.”
:D

Giggsyking

Forget last season as Toby was being taught a lesson and not played much after his injury as then refusing to sign the contract he had agreed as vVD was bought by Pool and put on more money. Toby has, since signing for us, been one of the Best CD in the PL if not Europe. Now lets look at Martial - he can't even get game time with you and lost his place in the WC winning France's side so guess you can imagine how P'd off he is. So your valuations are seriously miles off.

Toby has 4 years left at the top of his game and don't believe all you read on here he is not Injury Prone his in last 3 years has suffered 2 Hammy and was back after 7 weeks for both, as stated above the reason he only played cup games until end of season had nothing to do with being injured, just his attitude which neither Poch or Levy would stand for. I for one salute them for that.

Bottom line and I think you'll agree you need Toby or someone like him more than we need Martial and Levy knows that too.
He's a bench warmer, worth nothing more than 40 m. He has no resell value as he will be 30 in few months while Martial has resell value because he is only 22 yrs old.

Craig Ward

Maybe it's exactly because our current lot can't pass that well that our midfielders end up sitting deep to pick up balls from our CBs. Someone with a better range of passing could be what Jose wants to free up the players in front of him.
Jose has had TWO seasons to address the squad and style of play.

Thus far he's way off it would seem.

IF we get anybody, whether they can pass or not, our midfield will sit deep because that's Jose's set up.

IF we continue to play this way - spending 60mil+ on a CB is a waste for me

Nick7

I like Alderweireld. I think he has a few years left at the top too. Doesn't make them equal in terms of price, nor potential down the line. If Spurs really want Martial they should put a bid in. I'm sure we would be happy to sit down and tell you what we want. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot more than what Spurs want to pay, or value him as though.

Kapardin

Maguire is actually class and would be perfect for a 3-5-2. I hope we sign him, there's no hurry in all likelihood since we appear to be the only club in for him. Could get done on deadline day even, this.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I like Alderweireld. I think he has a few years left at the top too. Doesn't make them equal in terms of price, nor potential down the line. If Spurs really want Martial they should put a bid in. I'm sure we would be happy to sit down and tell you what we want. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot more than what Spurs want to pay, or value him as though.

Spurs put a bid in :lol:

redpatron

Maguire is actually class and would be perfect for a 3-5-2. I hope we sign him, there's no hurry in all likelihood since we appear to be the only club in for him. Could get done on deadline day even, this.
It’s going to be a deadline deal if we get him. Leceister will not want to play him on match day one and they can possibly squeeze out more money. Likewise we can unsettled Maguire and he is forced to sit if the transfer falls through .

Status
Not open for further replies.