Maguire standing still with the ball at the halfway line

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This happens numerous times every game.

Our entire team is devoid of ideas, everyone tightly compact and standing still.

Then a risky pass gets intercepted and we get countered.

Jacob

I screamed out of frustration. Its as if we're waiting for Xavi 2.0 to pull off a magical pass. Just pass the ball on to somebody better mate.

Godfather

Nobody moves up front. I'm the last person to excuse him but our movement is shocking.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This happens numerous times every game.

Our entire team is devoid of ideas, everyone tightly compact and standing still.

Then a risky pass gets intercepted and we get countered.
It's because the midfield is entirely crowded and probability of intercepting a pass is much more. You need the wing backs to make a run, which unfortunately we didn't do it today.

Cut Maguire some slack. It's not his problem.

Skills

Snitch
We're just shit at recycling the ball in general. Just keep the ball moving, it's basic football

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Probably had the most time with ball in second half.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I use to think this was Oles fault, now I see that it isn't. It also puts such pressure on our back line to be the main distribution when that's not their job.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s a donkey of a footballer who looks likes he’s won a competition to play for United. Hilarious Ole and Ed decided to spend £80m on him. I’m sorry if we really think United are going to be a top team again with him as captain then we’re resigning ourselves to bitter disappointment.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I screamed out of frustration. Its as if we're waiting for Xavi 2.0 to pull off a magical pass. Just pass the ball on to somebody better mate.
That's the problem. No else is even asking for it, they all just stand there expecting him to pick a 60 yard pass instead. Pathetic.

RUCK4444

Nobody moves up front. I'm the last person to excuse him but our movement is shocking.
This. Zero movement and I’ve been banging on about how absolutely abject our off the ball movement is compared to our rivals for years and years.

We blamed Ole for a lack of coaching so I hope we at least keep continuity on that opinion with the new manager (if it doesn’t improve.)

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
And after standing still for a while he decides to go for the easy pass sideways which was on the whole time...

Satsuma United

I thought he did fine. He tried and delivered some great long passes wich we cant say about Mctominay, Bruno and Fred.

cj_sparky

Was it Maguire that pinged a couple of 50-60 yarders to the corner flags?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Completely agree. It's frustrating to watch and Maguire doesn't help himself because he's slow, but there was no link up between midfield and attack and zero movement. It was no different when Varane had the ball and Bruno was just booting it to the keeper from the same position.

It just looked like we were playing for a draw after we scored.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He doesn't ever pass the ball which is easy for receiver to control, it's always overhit/underhit or played into an area where a player will be challenged.

It's also infuriating to see him take 10 touches to do one simple pass too. Worst captain I've seen in a Utd shirt, and this club gave Fellaini the armband for few games. At least he scored few crucial goals and put in good performances enroute to some mickey mouse silverware. Maguire on the other hand has been a liability, £80m ffs.

MDFC Manager

Not completely his fault. No midfield + no forward movement is to blame majorly.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@noodlehair has a similar thread way-back-when and it seems it’s still a problem of his.

He also seems to telegraph his passes a lot. Obviously I can’t see how it looks from the pitch but from tele angle, he’s pinging a lot of balls to our right-back without creating a much better position for ourselves.

Phil

It's because there's zero movement in the team, for the 86th year running

Dan_F

It's because the midfield is entirely crowded and probability of intercepting a pass is much more. You need the wing backs to make a run, which unfortunately we didn't do it today.

Cut Maguire some slack. It's not his problem.
It’s not even the midfield that was the problem, because we barely had one, everyone was higher up.

I’m not sure what’s difficult for them to understand about players needing to pull defenders out of position. Nothing’s going to happen if they all stand there waiting for the ball to come to feet.

Ace of Spades

Not entirely his fault. A lot of players were slowing the game down because they had no clue where their teammates were and which pass to play. There was so much disjointed passing from all players, not just him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's up to the manager to have a word and if nothing don't improve then grow a pair and drop him for it. If players don't do what they are told, then take action.

It's extremely irritating to watch as a fan, how can the coaching team sit there and not say anything.

AndySmith1990

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of our players are stupid. That's not a throwaway playground insult. I'm serious, they are genuinely stupid and can't think quickly enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You don't understand. None of you understand.

It's our very own Statue of David. It's Art.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The movement is abysmal but the fact he thinks somehow holding onto the ball for 10 seconds is going to magically lead to a pass opening up is ridiculous. He only makes the passing choices worse doing what he's doing.

The Hilton

Everyone loves to bash Maguire, but if there's no movement in front of him then what can he do?

Trying to thread the needle is risky, just look at Varane tonight who gave the ball away in dangerous positions loads with poor passing.

Maguire was genuinely well down the list of our biggest issues tonight.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The movement is abysmal but the fact he thinks somehow holding onto the ball for 10 seconds is going to magically lead to a pass opening up is ridiculous. He only makes the passing choices worse doing what he's doing.
To add to that, Lindelof, seems to have an easier time of it, playing vertical passes. At least as far as the eye test can tell.

Again, sorry to harp on, but Maguire is always looking for a pass out to wide right — it’s very predictable.

The Hilton

Not
Pass it to the full backs.
They'd often bombed ahead and then joined the rest of the team in just standing still.

He "gave it to the better player" in Varane who would then set up a Newcastle attack with a rubbish ball, which shows it isn't just him. Blaming defenders for not finding static players who are fully marked is pointing blame in entirely the wrong direction.

Abraxas

Has it been considered that perhaps he does this for a reason? I'd love to see the game from Maguire or any of our defenders point of view. I think that'd be extremely instructive.

Do we seriously think Maguire is stood there contemplating life with loads on? Of course he's not! He wants to play a progressive pass, that's part of why we bought him and he knows that's what we want to do, play out. So that leads to him looking for a pass and then it never materialises. So it looks like he's taking an age to do something basic but that's because there's bugger all else to do I would imagine.

Look, maybe he could speed things up now and again but it's very far from being mostly his fault. All of our team struggle to work the ball forward. Perhaps part of the struggle is we have 3 or 4 players stood up front doing nothing, completely isolated from play.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's just giving the opposition time to get back in their shape, it's only fair, the proper way to win football matches, well draw football matches as the case may be today.

But it was an honest draw, no sneaky "playing quick to catch the opposition out of position" stuff!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Has it been considered that perhaps he does this for a reason? I'd love to see the game from Maguire or any of our defenders point of view. I think that'd be extremely instructive.

Do we seriously think Maguire is stood there contemplating life with loads on? Of course he's not! He wants to play a progressive pass, that's part of why we bought him and he knows that's what we want to do, play out. So that leads to him looking for a pass and then it never materialises. So it looks like he's taking an age to do something basic but that's because there's bugger all else to do I would imagine.

Look, maybe he could speed things up now and again but it's very far from being mostly his fault. All of our team struggle to work the ball forward. Perhaps part of the struggle is we have 3 or 4 players stood up front doing nothing, completely isolated from play.
This is the issue. He isn't good enough for this and in his inability to do so, ruins all attacks and moves.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's basically our main playmaker and it's not his fault.

Abraxas

This is the issue. He isn't good enough for this and in his inability to do so, ruins all attacks and moves.
I disagree. Some of the consistency of his long passing, his forward passing suggests to me he can do it. If there is movement and a better understanding tactically from our midfield and forwards.

But...if there isn't then he needs to adjust rather than hoping for something to materialise because even if it does it's quite telegraphed at the moment. Then he needs to play the simple pass more quickly. I just feel the criticism is a bit over the top and is sometimes made without context.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our movement is poor but players like him and Fernandes constantly freeze and opt for 60 yard punts. Nobody wants to give and go. It’s mental