Maguire's persistent ball hogging

mirdo

When is someone on the coaching staff or in the team going to finally tell him to knock this off?

Can someone explain to me how it helps the team to have a centreback who can't play a simple pass without walking around with the ball for 20 seconds first? and who also seems completely incapable of actually giving the ball to his midfield at all? Nearly every pass he does play is either a hospital ball to the wing or pinged vaguely in the direction of one of the forwards.

80 mil Smalling. Cant understand how he is always getting picked as captain instead of DDG

Kostur

海尔的老板
Look at the amount of defending he's having to do though. It's an absolutely woeful tactical and midfield display.
Him not being able to hold the offside line for umptenth time and being outmuscled by Lacazette / outjumped by Maintland Niles has got nothing to do with dogshit midfield I'm afraid.

NK86

He is woeful offensively. I mean so many decent chances and he makes nothing of them. Cannot believe he is the captain. Smalling is much better than him. He is an overrated English CB stinking the place out.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Him not being able to hold the offside line for umptenth time and being outmuscled by Lacazette / outjumped by Maintland Niles has got nothing to do with dogshit midfield I'm afraid.
Not suggesting he isn't having a terrible game. Along with everyone else.

Nickelodeon

What the feck! He is exactly the same as Smalling only Smalling can score chances like those. Two or three times including the goal he has been behind the line of the defence. He is not a leader. He should not be our captain and he is not good on the ball.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why is he captain?
Looks like a knee jerk decision being made by a poll in the newbie forum one day after his MOTM performance against the likes of Colchester, and not something a sane Manchester United manager would do.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is not a player's performance thread.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Twice tonight Fred was literally standing ahead of him, in space, literally holding his arms out and waving them in frustration asking for Maguire to pass him the fecking ball. Both times he ignored him and passed it back to Arsenal instead.

At another point Matic actually came back and stood in line with him and Lindelof to try and force him to give him the ball, and he STILL just ignored him and fecked about before playing a poor pass.

It's not even on him at this point really. I don't get how our management watch this happening and don't do anything about it. Either he should have been told to cut it out by now or if he has been told, dropped for ignoring instructions.

Does he think he's fecking Pirlo? I don't get it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Twice tonight Fred was literally standing ahead of him, in space, literally holding his arms out and waving them in frustration asking for Maguire to pass him the fecking ball. Both times he ignored him and passed it back to Arsenal instead.

At another point Matic actually came back and stood in line with him and Lindelof to try and force him to give him the ball, and he STILL just ignored him and fecked about before playing a poor pass.

It's not even on him at this point really. I don't get how our management watch this happening and don't do anything about it. Either he should have been told to cut it out by now or if he has been told, dropped for ignoring instructions.

:lol: Preach. Truly hopeless display, and I really don't get it either. Pirlo or Carrick.

hungrywing

Looks an awful lot like someone trying to perform up to their contract/role (captaincy).

If you overpay/overpromote a person and/or they feel as such, they often try to 'do extra'. This is the same in 'bad' and 'well-intentioned' people but manifests in different pathways aka the 'bad' person overexercises that new authority and the 'well-intentioned' person is 'well, I should do something extra'.

Never watched him at Leicester. If someone who did says he never did this there, then I'd venture to say it's dead certain that's the psychological reason.

PepsiCola

We massively overpaid for both Maguire and AWB.

Neither are worth half their respective price tags.

RedTiger

Half mast
Looks an awful lot like someone trying to perform up to their contract/role (captaincy).

If you overpay/overpromote a person and/or they feel as such, they often try to 'do extra'. This is the same in 'bad' and 'well-intentioned' people but manifests in different pathways aka the 'bad' person overexercises that new authority and the 'well-intentioned' person is 'well, I should do something extra'.

Never watched him at Leicester. If someone who did says he never did this there, then I'd venture to say it's dead certain that's the psychological reason.
That's a very good point.

Nitewolf

His passing was a problem today. What worries me is the lack of communication between him and the rest of the defensive line, the first goal today was again a failed offside trap like the equalizing goal last game against Arsenal. In both instances he was the culprit. All the defensive line goes up except for him.

Reactions: 711

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Understand and agree with the OP but some of the comments here are a bit over the top.

80 mil Smalling. Cant understand how he is always getting picked as captain instead of DDG
DDG probably isn't captain because he's not a massively vocal part of the team, her doesn't command the defence or his box in the way that Schmeichel did for instance. Watching DDG he doesn't shout, remonstrate or organise the players around him much at all, Maguire does, thoug still not as much as Schmeichel, who was always screaming at everyone!

He is woeful offensively. I mean so many decent chances and he makes nothing of them. Cannot believe he is the captain. Smalling is much better than him. He is an overrated English CB stinking the place out.
This is a bit of revisionism I think and fails to explain why if he was so much better, how come he was overlooked for England in favour of Maguire, and Stones so much, both of whom Southgate said were better at initiating play.

manc4red

Haha I seriously thought I was the only one that is annoyed by his constant desire to hold the ball.

To be fair to him, he wants to make a play and move ball up. However, I do not get the feeling Ole coached the team for this so we get him dribbling the ball for eternity and ultimately either losing it to a press or he flubs a pass

I still believe he is one of our best defenders with a high ceiling. However, his style of play does not truly mesh with what we have right now. Judging by today’s Arsenal game, we have no style of play.

NK86

Understand and agree with the OP but some of the comments here are a bit over the top.

DDG probably isn't captain because he's not a massively vocal part of the team, her doesn't command the defence or his box in the way that Schmeichel did for instance. Watching DDG he doesn't shout, remonstrate or organise the players around him much at all, Maguire does, thoug still not as much as Schmeichel, who was always screaming at everyone!

This is a bit of revisionism I think and fails to explain why if he was so much better, how come he was overlooked for England in favour of Maguire, and Stones so much, both of whom Southgate said were better at initiating play.
Lingard was also selected for the national team. Doesn't really say much, does it?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Lingard was also selected for the national team. Doesn't really say much, does it?
I think it does actually, it says to me that lots of fans often under rate their own players and the grass is always greener.

RedDevil@84

We massively overpaid for both Maguire and AWB.

Neither are worth half their respective price tags.
Because without the money, they wouldn't come here. Players are not queuing up to play for Man Utd. And add to the fact that our team of negotiators and CEO struggles to sign any given player. Almost all signings we do are way above the market levels.

NK86

I think it does actually, it says to me that lots of fans often under rate their own players and the grass is always greener.
Not really. All it says is that England picked players of a certain attribute and got a decent run in the world cup. You talk as if Smalling has never played for England or for a PL winning team.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Not really. All it says is that England picked players of a certain attribute and got a decent run in the world cup. You talk as if Smalling has never played for England or for a PL winning team.
So what attributes does Maguire have that Smalling doesnt that means he's preferred to Maguire?

Smalling played for England from 2011 to 2017 and had 31 appearances. In 2017 he was dropped and Maguire has taken his place and has in three years notched up 26 appearances. That suggests the England manager prefers Maguire over Smalling, which was the point I was making. Nothing to do with a decent run in the WC.

Of course Smalling has played for England and has played in a premiership winning team, though he was back up behind Ferdinand and Vidic and was competing for places with Evans and Jones as well so only made 15 appearances and was dropped for the final quarter of the season. Jones played more that season and has 27 caps so does that mean he is also better than Maguire?

There's no doubt Smalling is a good defender and he's having a great season at Roma. But none of this explains why you think he's a much better player than Maguire.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Lee Dixon was absolutely laying into Maguire for his inability to: relay the ball, find the right options, use it productively if he's to hold on to it for so long as well as assertively widening the field by drawing men in and then releasing his fullbacks.

Was interesting because you don't often hear that kind of talk in commentary, and Dixon knows a thing or three about backlines to make the assertions he did.

Seems Maguire is being called out for his failings.

Red00012

I’d be more worried about Anything over a 12 yard pass and it’s possession lost

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Not sure if that's a factor or not as I couldn't say if it was a problem he had at Leicester. He definitely has the same tendencies for England.

Even if it is the case though, Ole or someone on the coaching team should be straight on that as it is such an obvious problem. This is what's confusing me at this point. Its so blatant that it's causing the team problems that the it's on the manager now for not addressing it. You can actually see his team mates turning away or waving their arms in frustration.

Renegade

Everyone wanted a fancy ball playing CB, well here you go. Defenders need to be able to defend 1st and foremost. Smalling looking a little awkward while playing for the most part accurate passes was not the problem. Our CMs need to be starting the build up not our CB’s.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
United the first premier League team to make Pepe look anything but shit.
I wouldn't beat ourselves up too much about that. They guy is quality and is finding his feet now, he bullied West Ham too.

But yes, he made Luke Shaw look like Peter Kay.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
To be honest, it would have been difficult to tell if it was a problem at Leicester; we had Puel for most of his tenure, so every player played like that.

I have posted on these boards before though that his passing isn't exceptional. His long balls were generally pretty good, but he would drop a clanger at least once a match - generally an underhit short pass that goes straight to an opposing attacker. I think his "ball playing" defender tag comes more from the fact that he's more comfortable dribbling with the ball than most centre-backs, and his above-average long balls.

I imagine that the 80m price-tag is probably weighing a lot on his mind though. That certainly can't help, because you feel like you have to put in 80m performances.

Reactions: Sultan

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Everyone wanted a fancy ball playing CB, well here you go. Defenders need to be able to defend 1st and foremost. Smalling looking a little awkward while playing for the most part accurate passes was not the problem. Our CMs need to be starting the build up not our CB’s.
Not everyone, on that subject many thought that we didn't need a new fancy CB and that it would be a waste of money whether one rates Maguire or doesn't.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We should have kept Smalling and spent the £80m elsewhere. I'm happy with AWB though.
That's what I wanted and I know that I wasn't the only one. My logic has always been that you defend with 11 players and when your center midfield is closer to a turnstile than a wall, you can't expect great displays from your CBs, CBs make "mistakes" when attackers run at them freely.
For me it would be more sensible to improve our midfield and attack, implement a better pressing schemes which would has the benefits of disturbing the opposition ball movements and provoke mistakes. A better attack generally means more respect from the opposition in transition, they commit less numbers upfront and it makes the life of your defensive players easier.
When you decide to spend everything on your back four, you simply add more pressure on it because you decided to not provide it more support and a marginal improvement like Maguire isn't worth it.

Nikelesh Reddy

When is someone on the coaching staff or in the team going to finally tell him to knock this off?

Can someone explain to me how it helps the team to have a centreback who can't play a simple pass without walking around with the ball for 20 seconds first? and who also seems completely incapable of actually giving the ball to his midfield at all? Nearly every pass he does play is either a hospital ball to the wing or pinged vaguely in the direction of one of the forwards.
It makes sense to hog the ball for that amount of time if you are actually drawing opposition players onto you.But Maguire has the irritating tendency to do this even when there’s nobody within 30 yards of him!!Ofcourse our woeful lack of quality in midfield is hurting our centre backs build from the back,but I honestly expected much more from Maguire...

roonaldo78

Not sure if that's a factor or not as I couldn't say if it was a problem he had at Leicester. He definitely has the same tendencies for England.

Even if it is the case though, Ole or someone on the coaching team should be straight on that as it is such an obvious problem. This is what's confusing me at this point. Its so blatant that it's causing the team problems that the it's on the manager now for not addressing it. You can actually see his team mates turning away or waving their arms in frustration.
The frustrating aspect for me is that Ole has three or four assistants and nobody seems to be taking the initiative to drive the team. They all sit on the bench looking completely lost.

There was a point in the match before Greenwood came on where he was going through a folder and presumably interpreting his position, why not someone like Phelan talk him through it?