Maguire's persistent ball hogging

LoneStar

It’s infuriating to watch. It annoys me greatly that he’s handed the captaincy after being at the club five minutes and to date his best performance was a decent debut against Chelsea. I can’t think of a single moment in any game where I’ve thought that was a great piece of defending by Maguire. What we’ve got is an ok defender who can’t effectively pass the ball.
So weird that he's the captain. Having played like half of the season for us.

Sp00ks11

Funny that some dudes on a forum think he can’t play out from the back, yet he was also wanted by one of the greatest managers ever whose whole philosophy relies on defenders being able to do just that..

Maguire currently isn’t able to demonstrate that at United though as the movement in front of him is shocking, which is probably a hangover from having the chuckle brothers at CB unable to pass the ball more than 2 metres for the last few years.

Mcking

Ok...So can you give me one single example of an opportunity that Maguire has created for us by doing this?

All of our midfielders are better passers than Maguire. That's why they are midfielders. Mctominay is probably the most limited in that respect but even he's shown he can pick the ball up in a deep position and play his forwards in.

Maguire invariably when he does pass it either goes sideways back to Lindelof, out wide to Shaw, or occasionally just lobs it aimlessly over the top in the hope someone gets to it. The sort of passes it is just as easy, and more effective, to play immediately, than it is to play 10 seconds after you were given the ball.

It is not turning a positive into a negative as there is no positive to take from a player taking ages to essentially do nothing, during games where we fail to win due to spending so much of them, doing nothing. It is a different observation to the lazy "our movement is shocking" arguments, or silly claims that our midfield cant pass the ball. The problem we have breaking teams down is that we move the ball too slowly as a team and so end up going sideways or playing percentage balls. Maguire is a part of that problem and it's frustrating as hell watching him at times.

He also still has to prove he's a top defender...and that isn't me knocking him as I think he has it in him, but just saying he is doesn't make it true. We concede soft goals all the time due to poor defending, and often he is culpable. Most recently against Newcastle. We've conceded as many goals as City, who's defence has been criticised all season. More than Palace, Sheffield United and Leicester. When we start defending like a top side is when we can start claiming we have top defenders.

People slag off Lingard for giving interviews or liking clothes. This is a criticism of things Maguire does on the pitch which he is obviously good enough to just cut out. Its not exactly the same thing. Dont be precious.
There's nothing wrong with a cb advancing with the ball. It helps advance the defensive line to make the pitch smaller, and it allows the fullbacks and wingers to push higher up the pitch before receiving the pass. The problem is our fullbacks are so scared of getting over the halfway line which inevitably leads to sideways passes and ball hogging from the cbs. You also have some of our midfielders hiding behind the opponents.

Revaulx

Smalling whilst a decent defender off the ball, on it was atrocious. You could sense his uneasiness rubbing off on the rest of the defence.
I couldn’t :)
Jones also spreads unnecessary panic.
I’m no fan of Jones at all but I don’t think this is true either. Rojo is a bit reckless as well, but I’m not sure they make others worse.
That's why I like Harry. Even if he's not doing anything particularly well he has an air of composure.

Also having defenders who are comfortable in possession is what the current successful teams have. We just now need to find or develop our fullbacks into good attackers.
True, but other successful teams’ defenders don’t dwell on the ball for an age like Harry.

I do think AWB could become a decent attacker, but wouldn’t be surprised if Ole doesn’t see developing him in that direction as a priority.

We concede soft goals all the time due to poor defending, and often he is culpable. Most recently against Newcastle.
Kin ell, Fred gives a ball away, AWB caught too high, Shaw completely sells himself (biggest error of the lot and something of a shocker) and somehow you pin the blame on the only defender who actually did his job ?

roseguy64

Kin ell, Fred gives a ball away, AWB caught too high, Shaw completely sells himself (biggest error of the lot and something of a shocker) and somehow you pin the blame on the only defender who actually did his job ?
This happened with Smalling last season. He did his job but because others messed up he got the blame because of the aesthetics.

Le Red

Shit thread
Second that. Maguire is not living up to his price tag, and probably never will, but he's been ok, no more less.
I hope he'll have a better 2nd season though.

Good talk. :)

I don't think you'll meet many people in your life that think Smalling is better on the ball than Maguire. Ekeke maybe due to his Smalling love story, but if you find another I'd be absolutely amazed. It's one thing thinking Smalling is a better all round defender than Maguire but it's insanity to think he's even remotely close on the ball.

devips

This happened with Smalling last season. He did his job but because others messed up he got the blame because of the aesthetics.
Absolutely true. Redcafe 'Agenda' fans are a weird lot.

devips

Good talk. :)

I don't think you'll meet many people in your life that think Smalling is better on the ball than Maguire. Ekeke maybe due to his Smalling love story, but if you find another I'd be absolutely amazed. It's one thing thinking Smalling is a better all round defender than Maguire but it's insanity to think he's even remotely close on the ball.
That's the one thing that counts, no? Particularly when you are a defender?

devips

A long pass is different from a hoof. Maguire doesn't hoof the ball.
How many times does Smalling hoof the ball? I mean, I would like to see the stat, if available. And also, 'hoofs' that Mag-Lindi make on an average.

How many times does Smalling hoof the ball? I mean, I would like to see the stat, if available. And also, 'hoofs' that Mag-Lindi make on an average.
Smalling was often forced to hoofs, quite often straight out of play, simple because we don't have tonnes of options and Smalling aint great on the ball. Lindelöf and Maguire are miles better on the ball and are forced to result to hoofs less often, that's as clear as day for anyone to see.

Haven't seen Smalling so much at Roma, but if his options are better, he'll hoof much much less.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm one of Smalling's biggest fans on this forum, but those three are all pretty damn obvious. Not sure what you are calling false on.

have you been at the sherry ??
I mean, he's right in regards the Smalling-Blind combo. That is still by far the best central defensive combination we've used since Rio and Vidic left. No idea what Smalling-Rojo combo he's talking about though. Rojo's good period was with Bailly and then Jones. I actually don't remember Smalling-Rojo ever getting a good run of games together.

Smalling was often forced to hoofs, quite often straight out of play, simple because we don't have tonnes of options and Smalling aint great on the ball. Lindelöf and Maguire are miles better on the ball and are forced to result to hoofs less often, that's as clear as day for anyone to see.
Smalling really didn't hoof the ball that often. Most seasons he had the highest completed passes percentage out of our central defenders. Obviously that's because he played the simple pass the vast majority of the time, but he wasn't giving the ball away very often either.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We spent 80m on a slight upgrade over Smalling so we could sell Smalling for a rumoured 20m.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
4.5 years younger.

If we end up paying 55m for the upgrade and 4 extra years I’m happy with that. I also think Maguire will get better and better.
Will he? Hmm.....I doubt so. Chris Smalling didn't really improved much from the time he was Mike. Considering that our CM and RW are virtually non existent should have we spent 80m on a decent but not WC CB?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel like he has his wings clipped since he came here. He was way more adventurous, marauding even for Leicester and England.
It's just the classic joining United effect.

Smalling/Jones etc, might have been "quicker" at passing it 5 yards, but more often than not it still went to tits.

Maguire is composed, classy on the ball, and it doesn't help that we've had half a team for most of his spell here.

Machine Elements

We spent 80m on a slight upgrade over Smalling so we could sell Smalling for a rumoured 20m.
I hope Ole gets the boot before we sell Smalling because that would be stupid. I don’t even think Maguire is an upgrade over Smalling.

• Smalling is simply a better defender.
  • Smalling is one of the fastest CBs around along with the likes of Varane etc. while Maguire is the complete opposite. Is there anyone slower than him? He’s definitely one of the slowest and most cumbersome CBs I’ve ever seen.
  • Maguire is simply more comfortable on the ball than Smalling is. That much is obvious. However playing out from the back, being a ball playing CB is not equal to being comfortable on the ball. I didn’t see anything from Maguire so far that he’s a great ball playing CB. I honestly think Lindelöf has played better passes out from the back than Maguire this season(also outperformed him in the last couple of weeks) and I don’t really rate Lindelöf.
  • Both are great in the air but Smalling also scored the odd 2-3 goals a year. Don’t know about Maguire’s stats at Leicester but he didn’t show anything to suggest that he’s better in that aspect than Smalling either.

Castia

Constantly gives possession away, his passing is average at best.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Have people really not figured out yet this is a persistent problem when Matic is in the team? Just watch his refusal to accept the ball in any tight area when we are being pressed. Cut out the pass to the central midfield and it becomes incredibly easy to stop teams playing out from the back.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Movement in front of him has been diabolical so far to be fair.

Mainoldo

£80m, for a guy that like the others just came here for the money. Why we didn’t just get a CM I don’t know.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I said from the moment we were linked with him this summer that £80m was crazy money, but that was when I thought we were actually getting a pretty competent upgrade on what we had. Now I'm not so sure, i think Smalling at his best was easily a better defender than what we're currently seeing. And his supposed ball playing abilities are shite anyway. £80m down the bloody drain, but it's OK because we don't have a massive, gaping hole in our midfield or attack that needs addressing.

Castia

Bang average all season. Getting the piss taken out of him here.