Maguire's persistent ball hogging

hungrywing

Not sure if that's a factor or not as I couldn't say if it was a problem he had at Leicester. He definitely has the same tendencies for England.

Even if it is the case though, Ole or someone on the coaching team should be straight on that as it is such an obvious problem. This is what's confusing me at this point. Its so blatant that it's causing the team problems that the it's on the manager now for not addressing it. You can actually see his team mates turning away or waving their arms in frustration.
Bolded part could be problem if Ole is laissez-faire about it or even sides with his captain.

Tbf though, he might have had a word after yesterday. I didn't really mind it before then but yesterday it definitely got a bit 'ok let's dial that back now.' Like you say it was impossible to ignore/play down.

NK86

So what attributes does Maguire have that Smalling doesnt that means he's preferred to Maguire?

Smalling played for England from 2011 to 2017 and had 31 appearances. In 2017 he was dropped and Maguire has taken his place and has in three years notched up 26 appearances. That suggests the England manager prefers Maguire over Smalling, which was the point I was making. Nothing to do with a decent run in the WC.

Of course Smalling has played for England and has played in a premiership winning team, though he was back up behind Ferdinand and Vidic and was competing for places with Evans and Jones as well so only made 15 appearances and was dropped for the final quarter of the season. Jones played more that season and has 27 caps so does that mean he is also better than Maguire?

There's no doubt Smalling is a good defender and he's having a great season at Roma. But none of this explains why you think he's a much better player than Maguire.
First and foremost, Smalling is much quicker than Maguire. He was part of some real mean defenses in his time here. He was always one of our better defenders when he played for us.

Maguire has it all to prove. He has never been part of a title winning team and he is yet to be testee against the elite in Europe. All this clearly shows that Maguire is not as sure shot an upgrade over Smalling as some on here seem to think. Maguire has done nothing of note to steady our defense and he has been poorer of our two defensive buys.

Considering all this, 80 mil pounds on him seem more maddening now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This is a bit of revisionism I think and fails to explain why if he was so much better, how come he was overlooked for England in favour of Maguire, and Stones so much, both of whom Southgate said were better at initiating play.
Both are not better at actually defending though, and actually sometimes just making the simple passes to the midfielder is better. Lindelof was much better with the ball yesterday

roseguy64

The frustrating aspect for me is that Ole has three or four assistants and nobody seems to be taking the initiative to drive the team. They all sit on the bench looking completely lost.

There was a point in the match before Greenwood came on where he was going through a folder and presumably interpreting his position, why not someone like Phelan talk him through it?
I would hope any player we have could look through a folder and be able to interpret it without assistance. Especially considering it's something he's done before while coming off the bench. It's not all new info to him.

roseguy64

Both are not better at actually defending though, and actually sometimes just making the simple passes to the midfielder is better. Lindelof was much better with the ball yesterday
Would agree that Lindelof has looked better than Maguire re: usage of the ball over the last couple months. Maguire impressed with that intitially but Lindelof has outshone him there now. Lindelof still not a better defender than him though.

Bobski

Would agree that Lindelof has looked better than Maguire re: usage of the ball over the last couple months. Maguire impressed with that intitially but Lindelof has outshone him there now. Lindelof still not a better defender than him though.
Maguire impresses initially with his comfort in holding the ball while Lindelof is better at quickly finding team-mates feet through the lines. There was obvious comparison last night between our 2 and Luiz, who is levels above either of Maguire/Lindelof as a ball playing defender. His passing is snappy, precise and progressive. Of course Luiz has many flaws which make him a chaotic player at times but he has great ability on the ball.

Hughie77

He takes the ball upto nearly half way, then just slides it sideways to whoever is there, that's it, read him easily , if he goes long his passing is off. This is why a CM is needed with quality to find someone.
His defensive duties are ok, that's it, if were just defending he will clear it, but when we've got more of the ball, he's predictable in his play, teams just drop back deep because they know he hasn't got the forward pass good enough.

He will be better when he can give the ball to a quality CM.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I would hope any player we have could look through a folder and be able to interpret it without assistance. Especially considering it's something he's done before while coming off the bench. It's not all new info to him.
If the coaching is sound and mastered, there is no need for folders, just verbal instructions

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks an awful lot like someone trying to perform up to their contract/role (captaincy).

If you overpay/overpromote a person and/or they feel as such, they often try to 'do extra'. This is the same in 'bad' and 'well-intentioned' people but manifests in different pathways aka the 'bad' person overexercises that new authority and the 'well-intentioned' person is 'well, I should do something extra'.

Never watched him at Leicester. If someone who did says he never did this there, then I'd venture to say it's dead certain that's the psychological reason.
I’ve said it before but it reminds me a lot of Rooney in his last seasons under Moyes/LvG where he was captain, and was constantly moaning at players for not being good enough/doing the right things when he wasn’t himself. Big difference is Maguire hasn’t ever shown the level Rooney once did.

roseguy64

If the coaching is sound and mastered, there is no need for folders, just verbal instructions
So players don't need reminders of set piece routines and the like? Must be a lot of coaches who are trash then because it's a common thing.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Maguire is not good at watching his line, and is usually the last defender needlessly playing attackers onside, which was the case with Arsenal's first goal when he took too long to move up. He clearly lacks awareness or concentration, probably both.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Beginning of this video is a nice example of Maguire ball hogging

Worth stating that he had the ball for a good 5 seconds before this clip even starts... and you can clearly see that Matic, Fred made themselves available for an easy pass - as well as the run from Rashford

AshRK

A lot of premature writing off in this thread. He would be ace in a better setup.
The fact that Pep wanted him means he would have definitely worked in CIty's setup. I feel united fans are over emphasizing his weakness.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I thought this was interesting. Had Maguire fecking up just to show Rio's and Van Persie's point.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
His passing was a problem today. What worries me is the lack of communication between him and the rest of the defensive line, the first goal today was again a failed offside trap like the equalizing goal last game against Arsenal. In both instances he was the culprit. All the defensive line goes up except for him.
Very true. He has no idea where his defence line is and keeps repeating the same blunder time and again. As captain you expect him to be the leader at the back, the first person to signal to the rest of the defenders when to move up or down, and these are very basic defence and captaincy attributes. Instead, he is the sleepy one who needs somebody to organise and warn him. That's his biggest weakness. But he is also elephantically slow to recover and definitely can't organise the other players. Not to mention the easy chance he wasted. It may sound absurd, but Smalling didn't have these weaknesses, and definitely Lindelof tries harder.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The fact that Pep wanted him means he would have definitely worked in CIty's setup. I feel united fans are over emphasizing his weakness.
Actually the fact that Pep wanted him doesn’t mean that he would’ve definitely worked in City’s set up. Only looking at defenders, he had signed Mendy, Danilo, Chyhrynskyi, Caceres etc., none of them proved to be successful. And we don’t even know if Pep personally wanted him (and he definitely didn’t want him bad enough to get into the money race with us).

AshRK

wtf? :houllier:

He plays for United, we can all see his weaknesses, of course we are emphasising them.
He has weakness and many have pointed out that but he is also not crap like some make him out to be.

Is he worth £80m, No but he has been decent who should be doing better

AshRK

Actually the fact that Pep wanted him doesn’t mean that he would’ve definitely worked in City’s set up. Only looking at defenders, he had signed Mendy, Danilo, Chyhrynskyi, Caceres etc., none of them proved to be successful. And we don’t even know if Pep personally wanted him (and he definitely didn’t want him bad enough to get into the money race with us).
Again the point is some people are acting as if he is a crap defender or just another Jones. How mnay rash tackes has he committed or how many mistakes has he made.

If the point is to say he is not worth £80m then fair enough. But if the point is to say he is a dud who can't defend then that is bs.

andycolegangstainnit

I think he's done well for us. Played every minute of every Prem game (I think). No obvious howlers, decent passer, calm influence. Is he worth £80m? Probably not but our best CB. IMO his deliberations on the ball are due to lack of movement ahead. Matic and Fred are really stoppers, no desire to initiate attacks. When Pogba plays he lays it off to him. We have bigger problems than central defence.

Teja

This place is just amateur tacticians cherry-picking and complaining about non-existent problems with extreme short term bias.

Maguire is fine, look further up field for issues.

romufc

This place is just amateur tacticians cherry-picking and complaining about non-existent problems with extreme short term bias.

Maguire is fine, look further up field for issues.
Yep, full of them.

Step 1. complain about not spending money
step 2. Maugire is not worth is we shouldnt spent £80m not worth it
* Manutd defence looks improved but due to lack of midfield Defence keeps getting exposed and leak goals.
Step 3. Blame the new signing and the club
Step 4. Cry about lack of transfers

Maguire is still in the best 5 CB in the PL. Like it or not, there have been CB in the PL who have flourished without pace.

andycolegangstainnit

Yep, full of them.

* Manutd defence looks improved but due to lack of midfield Defence keeps getting exposed and leak goals.

Maguire is still in the best 5 CB in the PL. Like it or not, there have been CB in the PL who have flourished without pace.
Good post. I read an analysis of our goals conceded this season and a huge no were due to errors (eg Tuanzebe v Arsenal). We have defended better (stats may disprove this) as DDG has pulled off far fewer saves than he normally does. We've not had many clean sheets but I think the defence is ok - it would help if we could play the same back four every game (See Leicester and Liverpool)

VVD is regarded as the best CB in the Prem. I think Maguire is in that next group with the two lads at Chelsea and Laporte, so I agree one of the top 5 CB's.

Paul_Scholes18

Yep, full of them.

Is he really a top 5 defender? The Liverpool defenders are playing better than him and not just Van Dijk. The Leicester defenders are playing better without him now. Laporte is better and so on. Lindelöf has played better too this season. Chelsea defenders maybe not since they have not impressed me that much. Luiz on his day is better too, but he can make some big errors. Although he is much better with the ball and Arteta will probably get much more out of him. Spurs defenders have been better than him in the past although they have looked worse this season.
Of course a great system helps lots of defenders in the league, but we are pretty defensive anyway in terms of protecting our defense.
Leicester had won the league before he joined and they are in the top 4 after he left now again.

Not saying results is all down to 1 player and there is lots of factors behind these things. Although looking at the overall results they seem to be better without him than with him. I think that is one issue with him. He is not really improving the players around him much even when he looks good individually in terms of winning headers and running forward with the ball.

He has done very well for England though and that should be mentioned. I guess that is why we spent so much money on him in the end. I think good management can probably get a lot out of him though, but we are not having that at the moment.

Maticmaker

Playing balls back and forth across the back line has become something of a United tradition now (thanks to LVG) and Maguire has just blended in with his colleagues on this, he didn't do that so much when he first arrived.

He does now carry the ball forward over the halfway line and occasionally ten yards farther, but only when McTominay is not available. This action should prompt everyone to move forward and to present a dilemma for the opposing defence, do they abandon their 4x4 lines to come out and tackle him or just retreat.

Our front players act surprised when Maguire does this and they seem unable to interpret what he is trying to do, so if the opposition do break ranks our front men seem to be on the back foot and nothing comes of it... that is if we are lucky, when we are not lucky the opposition break out quickly and we are caught out.

Maguire seems to be doing more of this now McTominay/Pogba are unavailable, he looks confident enough, until he realises there is little movement ahead of him. Early on in games Rashford will attempt forward runs, but Martial tends to come short to Maguire and want the ball to his feet (as usual). Occasionally Fred or Pereira will take it off Maguire and work it out right to James or AWB, but in all these moves we are so predictable. Maguire and also Lindelöf always look more confident when they stride forward than our former centre-backs, but the movement up a head hasn't changed, so we don't get the benefit.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Again the point is some people are acting as if he is a crap defender or just another Jones. How mnay rash tackes has he committed or how many mistakes has he made.

If the point is to say he is not worth £80m then fair enough. But if the point is to say he is a dud who can't defend then that is bs.
I highlighted your particular statement that was literally false.

Even Maguire's harshest critics still do not debate that he's either our best or, in the worst case, joint best (alongside Lindelöf) center back. The problem is expectations — when you buy the most expensive defender in the world, at the very least you expect someone without obvious weaknesses and hopefully an undoubtedly world-class player.

romufc

I read an analysis of our goals conceded this season and a huge no were due to errors
We have conceded countless goals due to individual errors. DDG shouldn't have been beaten v Everton and Watford.
Fred giving the ball away at half way line 2/3 times this season and a goal from the counter because it is 3 v 4.

Is he really a top 5 defender? The Liverpool defenders are playing better than him and not just Van Dijk. The Leicester defenders are playing better without him now. Laporte is better and so on.
Well by defenders I actually meant CB's because that is what we were looking for.
We were never getting any of the Liverpool or City defenders so we actually did sign the best there is available.

Evans was at United and was let go
Soyuncu has made more individual errors than Maguire

The reason why Laporte, Leicester defence looks so good is because of the CDM's. Ndidi and Fernandinho actually help massively instead of having Matic.

Lindelöf has played better too this season
Agree, but I suggest you go on his thread and see how many fans actually hate him.

I think good management can probably get a lot out of him though, but we are not having that at the moment.
I agree he looked better than he is, we paid £80m and agreed not worth it but we needed him.
He scores goals from corners and hasn't done so for us this season but that is because of the lack of quality in our set pieces.

Fred and Perreira have actually been very poor on set pieces. I can't for understand how a team / players who practice everyday be so poor at this. Look at the goals we conceded from corners, whipped crosses and yet we keep floating balls to the back post or missing first man.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The problem is expectations — when you buy the most expensive defender in the world, at the very least you expect someone without obvious weaknesses and hopefully an undoubtedly world-class player.
Yes, but this doesn't really apply to Maguire, does it?

We all knew bloody well that he wasn't an undoubtedly world class player. We knew he had obvious weaknesses. And we knew that he'd come at an inflated price if he came at all. The facts were known, man (to insert an obscure movie, or rather TV series, quote - Kenwood Juicer to anyone who gets it).

I've said it before: it was like the Pogba deal only far worse in terms of individual talent. Pogba was never a world record player compared to those who actually (more or less) "deserved" that status - but he is, at least, a player with extreme qualities.

Maguire being the most expensive defender in the world is utterly "undeserved" when you compare him to players past (and present too), and he doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever - this is blatantly obvious. But to keep on - kind of, sort of - holding him to that standard is blatantly pointless, it serves no purpose other than giving him grief for something he can't help at all.

He wasn't purchased as someone who might plausibly "deserve" going for a world record fee - that was never on and everybody knew it.

The Irish Connection

Yes. Maguire is solid. 7 out of 10. Not worth 80m no doubt but if smalling had been playing he would have made at least a couple howlers by now.
I do think we should have kept smalling ahead of Jones though.

The passing thing is as much to do with the team unit as anything. Maguire is capable of finding Rashford or Martial when they make the runs but the players seem out of sync and look like they prefer to keep easy possession.

Like others have mentioned, it’s been that way with us since van gaal.

Skills

Snitch
100%. Typical of this place. Quite a few of our players will look better when we finally have a decent coaching setup. One can dream.
Will be too late by then. They'll be written off, their confidence shattered and key years of development wasted.

Paul_Scholes18

We have conceded countless goals due to individual errors. DDG shouldn't have been beaten v Everton and Watford.
Fred giving the ball away at half way line 2/3 times this season and a goal from the counter because it is 3 v 4.

Well by defenders I actually meant CB's because that is what we were looking for.
We were never getting any of the Liverpool or City defenders so we actually did sign the best there is available.

Evans was at United and was let go
Soyuncu has made more individual errors than Maguire

The reason why Laporte, Leicester defence looks so good is because of the CDM's. Ndidi and Fernandinho actually help massively instead of having Matic.

Agree, but I suggest you go on his thread and see how many fans actually hate him.

I agree he looked better than he is, we paid £80m and agreed not worth it but we needed him.
He scores goals from corners and hasn't done so for us this season but that is because of the lack of quality in our set pieces.

Fred and Perreira have actually been very poor on set pieces. I can't for understand how a team / players who practice everyday be so poor at this. Look at the goals we conceded from corners, whipped crosses and yet we keep floating balls to the back post or missing first man.
I think we are trying to protect him being so bloody deep. Mctominay has shielded our defense before too.

Yeah I would not blame him much for not scoring any goals from corners. We don't put the balls in well enough and also seem to lack a good plan to open space for our best headers. Some of our short corners have at least been slightly better though.

harms

Staff
Yes, but this doesn't really apply to Maguire, does it?

We all knew bloody well that he wasn't an undoubtedly world class player. We knew he had obvious weaknesses. And we knew that he'd come at an inflated price if he came at all. The facts were known, man (to insert an obscure movie, or rather TV series, quote - Kenwood Juicer to anyone who gets it).
Not to that extent, at least not me personally. I knew that he was slow and I didn't think that the relatively modern approach that Ole introduced this summer would be a good fit for him, but I didn't expect him to be so positionally inept as well. He is also significantly worse on the ball than I expected; in fact, I'm not sure that I even consider his ball-playing skills as something positive, while before the signing I knew that he was outstanding in 2 things — heading the ball away and moving it forward (via passing or dribbling).

Judas

Open to offers
I'd say Maguire's finishing has been his biggest disappointing factor for me, in an England shirt or last season you feel like he'd have buried his chances he's fluffed for us, and he's had plenty of great ones. Just adds to the feeling the clubs cursed.

Hammondo

Pep has done a horrible job at picking CB's for city so far.