Mahrez accidently doping?

Josep Dowling

Just seen this article on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49263769

This type of thing that gets quickly brushed under the media carpet unless it's involves a United player. It seems to me Guardiola admitted not putting him in the squad in case he was drug tested and then whatever 'medicine' he took could be a performance enhancing drug.

Surely that is enough grounds to actually drug test the player?

Classical Mechanic

Obviously City do internal tests so they'd know if he was coming up dirty.

Interesting that Algeria bit back stating the issue is coming from City and not them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The net is very slowly closing in on city.

In ten years they might actually get some sort of punishment

NinjaFletch

This individual scenario seems a storm in a teacup, but the general point about not selecting players to avoid drug testers seems very much like something the authorities should be involved with.

OldSchoolManc

City will escape punishment for as long as their owners can afford to pay off the governing bodies.
Compare AC Milan and their European ban to absolutely no action taken against City.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Just seen this article on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49263769

This type of thing that gets quickly brushed under the media carpet unless it's involves a United player. It seems to me Guardiola admitted not putting him in the squad in case he was drug tested and then whatever 'medicine' he took could be a performance enhancing drug.

Surely that is enough grounds to actually drug test the player?
Can he/should he be drug tested if he has not yet resumed competitive action with his club for the new season ?

tomaldinho1

They should just test before every game - make it minimum weekly and then throw in random tests at training grounds. I don't think it'd stop doping but it would confine it to pre season and international breaks

Johan07

This is weird to me. Are players not subject to drugtesting "out-of-competition" so to say just by being registered to play in an UEFA-sanctioned competition? Which would mean that the governing authorities should be banging on City´s door to do a doping-test on Mahrez. Which also would mean that it would be sheer stupidity by Guardiola to admit to something similar when he could just have said "stomach bug". Strange this.

Classical Mechanic

This is weird to me. Are players not subject to drugtesting "out-of-competition" so to say just by being registered to play in an UEFA-sanctioned competition? Which would mean that the governing authorities should be banging on City´s door to do a doping-test on Mahrez. Which also would mean that it would be sheer stupidity by Guardiola to admit to something similar when he could just have said "stomach bug". Strange this.
My interpretation is that their big fear was that the random testers would turn up at the Etihad and he would fail the test. They've already been done for breaching the whereabouts rules so Mahrez could't duck them without City being in serious trouble. Making it public allows them to control the narrative, implying it the contamination happened on international duty. Its interesting that Algeria have come back and blamed City.

Camilo

It's a nothing story. All gone a bit tinfoil hat with regards to city these days.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why did Guardiola say that in the first place? Could have made an excuse and dealt with it internally. Instead he's thrown the national team under the bus and subjecting them to greater scrutiny when no one knows when or how Mahrez ingested the substance in question.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Testing in football is not as stringent as other sports. It's bizarre how football gets away with this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's a nothing story. All gone a bit tinfoil hat with regards to city these days.
So a player doesn't get played by his parent club as they don't want him to get done for doping if tested, and it's a non story?
If anything it should be bigger than any other story,

Johan07

Why did Guardiola say that in the first place? Could have made an excuse and dealt with it internally. Instead he's thrown the national team under the bus and subjecting them to greater scrutiny when no one knows when or how Mahrez ingested the substance in question.
It does indicate that they tested him themselves and that its something pretty serious, not just EPO or something that will be undetectable in a day or two. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

SirAF

Ageist
So a player doesn't get played by his parent club as they don't want him to get done for doping if tested, and it's a non story?
I think it is. He was given some medicine while on international duty that City were not aware of so naturally they want to research what’s been given to him before playing him.

I also believe that doping is widespread in all sport at top level but this story is hardly interesting imo.

Johan07

I think it is. He was given some medicine while on international duty that City were not aware of so naturally they want to research what’s been given to him before playing him.

I also believe that doping is widespread in all sport at top level but this story is hardly interesting imo.
Does that matter though? If he plays a game or not? He should still be subject to the same rules. You cant be on testosterone for 6 months just because you are injured and then get off it and play. Or maybe you can, and then its a much bigger issue.

patty123

"We don't have what he took. That's why, for doping control, today was a risk because the doctors didn't have it"

That saint peps take, now if it were an everyday African person, well maybe, but a professional player, rubbish as there is no way what he was given is not on file somewhere.

It seems its a day for these stories as just read Carlton Palmer say how big ron, thats our ex boss, helped him get passed one as he and I quote
"on the Thursday night I’m on the f***ing wacky baccy — and then Ron says, ‘You’re up again’. I said, ‘Gaffer, I need a word’. So we had to get the physio to p**s in a bottle and pass it through.”

Bwuk

City are cheats no doubt in my mind, but I also doubt they are the only ones.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
From the little I know, it is possible to accidentally use PEDs or a illegal substances but if the team doctors realize that it happened they are supposed to make a report or something like that. And in that case there isn't really a risk of sanctions based on what I have seen in Rugby.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Narcos: Manchester City

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why would he get punished? Pep said that he took some medication but didn't have any notes on what he took, so rather than risk it, they kept him out. This is a nothing story...

Camilo

He cost City a lot of money - they'll have some very intelligent doctors and medical professionals on their staff, and they'll want to know absolutely what he may or may not have taken whilst on international duty. Why take a risk with a 50 million pound player? Do the tests, if anything untoward comes up then report it to the relevant people and take it from there. It's common sense surely? There's zero talk of doping, there's zero talk of performance enhancing. You'll find all sorts of drugs all over the world that aren't certified in other parts of the world - it doesn't mean anything for regular people but could for athletes.

It's a non story.

SirAF

Ageist
He cost City a lot of money - they'll have some very intelligent doctors and medical professionals on their staff, and they'll want to know absolutely what he may or may not have taken whilst on international duty. Why take a risk with a 50 million pound player? Do the tests, if anything untoward comes up then report it to the relevant people and take it from there. It's common sense surely? There's zero talk of doping, there's zero talk of performance enhancing. You'll find all sorts of drugs all over the world that aren't certified in other parts of the world - it doesn't mean anything for regular people but could for athletes.

It's a non story.
Bingo.

mu4c_20le

It's a non story.
Alright Baghdad Bob.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

It's a non story.
The story is regarding a professional footballer taking medicine that neither he nor his parent club know what it is, or what it's for.
Surely this should be highlighted as potential doping at the highest level, whether it is or not, it's definitely needing to be highlighted.
The fact that City are blaming Algeria, Algeria are blaming City also speaks volumes about the transparency here.

Josep Dowling

My thought exactly. Hasn’t even made most headlines which is unbelievable. This shows potential doping in the off season by one of the biggest clubs in European football.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Said it in the other thread, this is suspicious to me. Not wanting him to get tested because something might appear in the result.. It cannot be all for nothing. This "extra precaution" isn't taken because the risk of detection is very small.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Said it in the other thread, this is suspicious to me. Not wanting him to get tested because something might appear in the result.. It cannot be all for nothing. This "extra precaution" isn't taken because the risk of detection is very small.
If we were trying to hide anything then why publicly state it? We could have come up with a dozen reasons why he wasn't there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If we were trying to hide anything then why publicly state it? We could have come up with a dozen reasons why he wasn't there.
As a poster said, trying to control the narrative could be an explanation. The fact he could have used an illegal substance and the club did their best for him not to get scanned doesn't sit well with me. If they're 100% sure of his pure intentions, let him get tested.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
As a poster said, trying to control the narrative could be an explanation. The fact he could have used an illegal substance and the club did their best for him not to get scanned doesn't sit well with me. If they're 100% sure of his pure intentions, let him get tested.
There was no narrative. Just say he was ill, or off doing whatever, then no one would even know about it. As for letting him get tested, why? The club doesn't know what was in it, that was the whole point in pulling him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There was no narrative. Just say he was ill, or off doing whatever, then no one would even know about it. As for letting him get tested, why? The club doesn't know what was in it, that was the whole point in pulling him.
These things invariably have a way of coming out. How does it look when you claim he was ill and actually, he was doped up to his eyeballs. If you want transparency, then allow him to be tested.

pascell

Remember when Kolo Toure was done for taking something he shouldn't have and his reason was he took one of his wife's pills by accident :lol: these guys know what they're doing

A9X SJ

Maybe it's to enhance his chances of getting a game in there current crop

Cracking player we should have been all over him before City