Maine Shooting | 18 Dead

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t know what you’re implying. America does not seem to care people are dying. Not everyone supports assault weapons but they vote for leaders that don’t give a shit. That includes Democrats.
Let’s face it. Most people reaction to mass shootings in America is “how many people were killed this time”? This thing happens everyday there and nothing is done. What do you want me to do…feign shock and horror?
I do feel the same, then in a moment of retrospection I’d feel guilty for feeling that way, but you just can’t help it. We are so emotionally exhausted with these incidents because of the helplessness of it all that it’s hard to muster an ounce of outrage after 20 years of inaction and disappointment.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I don’t know what you’re implying. America does not seem to care people are dying. Not everyone supports assault weapons but they vote for leaders that don’t give a shit. That includes Democrats.
Let’s face it. Most people reaction to mass shootings in America is “how many people were killed this time”? This thing happens everyday there and nothing is done. What do you want me to do…feign shock and horror?
Maybe you can save your sarcasm when since it's children involved. Do you live here? Do you know what those families are going through right now? No you don't and to generalize and say Murica gonna Murica is a bit insensitive. Yes we vote but not just for who will make the right choice when it comes to firearms. You're indirectly blaming the people dying right now for the gun laws here and that's not entirely fair.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just one day it would be nice to go to bed after reading about another atrocity in the world to wake up to something nice. :( RIP to all the victims of yet another attack that will do nothing to wake up the US to this massive problem.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.

I feel guilty as hell for thinking "oh, it's been a while since the last mass shooting in America" the other day while driving. :(
I was under the impression that the North East (Maine, Vermont etc) generally is very safe and these stats seem to back that up. I know that it's still the US, but this tragedy must be particularly shocking :(

Mike Smalling

I’d love to see how Hannity would MMA his way out of a crowded space with an active shooter. These conservative pundits really do have no fecking clue. I think he may actually believe that his martial arts training would help him in a situation like that.

Santos J

Title probably wants updating, he's still on the run. They found his car abandoned apparently.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Title probably wants updating, he's still on the run. They found his car abandoned apparently.
Abandoned at a boat launch - he owns a jet ski, evidently. He could be anywhere now. He's a firearms instructor who has mental illness and has previously threatened to carry out a shooting. Why did he still have access to guns?

Santos J

Abandoned at a boat launch - he owns a jet ski, evidently. He could be anywhere now. He's a firearms instructor who has mental illness and has previously threatened to carry out a shooting. Why did he still have access to guns?
Yep, madness. Spent 2 weeks in a mental institution in the summer too apparently.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Horrible.

Maybe it can lead to actual change in a tiny state like Maine though. With 100+ victims (not all dead!) in a state of roughly 1m everybody is bound to know someone affected through someone else at the very least.
No, nothing will change on this front, ever.

Horrible as it sounds, most americans have accepted that these shootings are better than the alternative, "bothersome" gun regulations and all that.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What the feck. For a change of pace I decided to not spend my evening checking the news and just spent it building Lego (I'm trying to distract myself more from the woes of the world) and then something like that happens. Then again, turn around and another shooting has happened in this country. Civilized my ass. Anyone wanna start a new country on some deserted island somewhere?

RiP to the victims. Absolutely horrible ...again.
And feck Hannity. There is a special place in the darkest pits of hell for that clown.
Hannity needs to be waterboarded, by force, to make good on his promise.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A clearly deranged man is still allowed to use firearms. You can’t explain such madness.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another mass shooting. Another pointless debate to ensue that’ll change absolutely nothing.

Siorac

A clearly deranged man is still allowed to use firearms. You can’t explain such madness.
The problem is that even if he is not allowed, it's ridiculously easy to get guns over there. I imagine it's particularly easy if you are a retired firearms instructor, he must have some connections.

This is not an argument against banning mentally ill people from having guns, of course - I just can't see a way out for the US.

SteveCoppellFan

The people in power in America make a ton of money selling firearms and ammunition .. this is nothing more than a inconvenience to them.

Their argument to all this will be for you to purchase a firearm and ammunition from them to protect yourself if something like this happens near you.

Its all about the profit.

America in a nutshell right there.

ChrisNelson

Jesus when will it end. America is literally a battlefield.
It won't. It's burned far too deep in to the culture of America. Guns guns guns.

So sad that something like this will spend a day on the front pages then be forgotten about forever.

These incidents are so unbelievably tragic but preventable.

There's not anything remotely good about them but if just one of them could lead to positive change in the way of gun reform then the lives lost would be slightly less in vain - it's still too late for the victims families.

They're stuck in a cycle though - half of Maine will go out and buy guns to protect themselves now and all it takes is one of them to have a mental breakdown and they've got the means to kill as many people as they want just tucked under their bed.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's hope he ages straight into the grave.
Wouldnt count on it, bad people tends to live longer, just look at Kissinger.

World has never been fair.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Maine has no background checks for fire arms sales.

UpWithRivers

Everyone goes nuts over the atrocities of Hamas and rightly so yet this sht happens all the time in America. Ok the level that Hamas inflicted at one time is much worse but still stats like 560 mass shootings in 2023, 49,000 gun related deaths in 2001, killing children and women and nothing is done about it. Its fkn madness

Oranges038

The people in power in America make a ton of money selling firearms and ammunition .. this is nothing more than a inconvenience to them.

Their argument to all this will be for you to purchase a firearm and ammunition from them to protect yourself if something like this happens near you.

A fair assessment.

Listening to a guy on the radio the other day and he was saying a similar thing about the wars and conflicts. Everytime a new one kicks off or one starts again, the weapons companies stock prices and profits go up. There's just too many vested interests in prolonging conflict for profit, that not enough is being done to stop it.

Same goes for people carrying guns, once the guys making all the money have the biggest say, absolutely nothing will be done to curb the sale and supply of pointlessy dangerous weapons to everyday people.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
2023 so far.

Total Number of GV Deaths - ALL Causes - 35,273
Homicide/Murder/Unintentional/DGU - 15,539
Suicide - 19,734
Total Number of Injuries - 30,630
Mass Shootings - 565
Mass Murders - 31
Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed - 246
Number of Children (age 0-11) Injured - 545
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed - 1,157
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Injured - 3,273

But politicians are being paid so they don’t care.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Issue is not one person stateside has the bottle to challenge that nefarious, overrated piece of crap they worship, the constitution.

Never have I read such a poorly thought out yet blindly venerated document.

While the second amendment is there, no chance this ever changes.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
2023 so far.

Total Number of GV Deaths - ALL Causes - 35,273
Homicide/Murder/Unintentional/DGU - 15,539
Suicide - 19,734
Total Number of Injuries - 30,630
Mass Shootings - 565
Mass Murders - 31
Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed - 246
Number of Children (age 0-11) Injured - 545
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed - 1,157
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Injured - 3,273

But politicians are being paid so they don’t care.
The USA: where you have so much freedom that you can have your life cut short by the freedom of some disgruntled autoworker with a cache of military hardware.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What a fecking country.

RIP to the victims
Half the country has been brainwashed thinking it's all about freedom -- when they have no idea what freedom means.

Freedom from fear or crime and dogma for starters. Try Maslow's hierarchy of needs, work your way up the pryrmid

Most Americans need to wake-up and not be triggered by words like constitutional rights, freedom of speech or my rights.

So much bullshit indoctrination, being manipulated by the powers to be. Blue v red manipulation.

So stupid

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

And that's the bottom line. The ecosystem is worth trillions. It's going nowhere. At all.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A fair assessment.

Listening to a guy on the radio the other day and he was saying a similar thing about the wars and conflicts. Everytime a new one kicks off or one starts again, the weapons companies stock prices and profits go up. There's just too many vested interests in prolonging conflict for profit, that not enough is being done to stop it.

Same goes for people carrying guns, once the guys making all the money have the biggest say, absolutely nothing will be done to curb the sale and supply of pointlessy dangerous weapons to everyday people.
Military industrial Complex.

Eisenhower said it decades ago.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I pray this is just a mentally ill person and not someone inspired by current world events.

On the point of mass shootings; I feel you America, I really do, but you have to start looking at this as if it's a debilitating addiction. The first step to breaking an addiction is to fully accept that you have a problem. Up to now all you've done is umm and ahh, down played it or just rhetorically asked yourselves if you have a problem.

Come on America, you can do it! Just come together and openly acknowledge that you actually really definitely DO have a problem.

Carrying on with the addiction analogy, the next step is to involve a second party for counselling and helping to set boundaries. Bring one of your trusted allies in to help counsel you and set out some rules, maybe Japan or the UK for example.
It will be a mentally ill person, the reports are he is white.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Half the country has been brainwashed thinking it's all about freedom -- when they have no idea what freedom means.

Freedom from fear or crime and dogma for starters. Try Maslow's hierarchy of needs, work your way up the pryrmid

Most Americans need to wake-up and not be triggered by words like constitutional rights, freedom of speech or my rights.

So much bullshit indoctrination, being manipulated by the powers to be. Blue v red manipulation.

So stupid
You sound like some kind of woke snowflake hippy communist.

Is about the level of stupidity you can expect from the right when trying to have such a discussion.

The Firestarter

Military industrial Complex.

Eisenhower said it decades ago.
This has nothing to do with the proliferation of arms within the people. You have to go back to the days of the well regulated militias to find the actual root cause.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Price to pay for freedom
Don't know if freedom matters; what does is that this is the biggest money maker in the country and it has exponential growth.

The answer to this latest tragedy will obviously be the purchase of even more guns and ammo whilst the usual rhetoric from both sides plays as what is white noise by now.

No government is taking away an industry that ceaselessly fills their coffers.