Malcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Apparently since he moved to France, he learned to speak French and now moonlights as a translator to younger Brazilians arriving at the club.

The man is a gentleman and a scholar.

Arka_BleedingRed

Tbh, unless we learn to play quicker as a unit - it won’t make a difference whether we bring in Malcom, Sterling or Sane. We play way too slowly to get our wingers isolated against full-backs. Our central midfield is generally all done at walking pace, and transition is sluggish.
This. The main reason our attacking players look worse than they actually are, is because of our extremely slow tempo, we play football at a crawling rate; our fairly predictable playing style and poor attacking movement lacking cohesion.

The secret to the likes of City, Liverpool scoring many goals and looking fluid is mainly because of their direct as hell attack, aggressive pressing, using overloads from the wings or midfield and their superb movement. More than the players, and I might receive flak for this comment, I strongly believe it is mainly due to the tactics and coaching of our manager. And I don't believe buying Player X or Y will have a dramatic effect in our play.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This. The main reason our attacking players look worse than they actually are, is because of our extremely slow tempo, we play football at a crawling rate; our fairly predictable playing style and poor attacking movement lacking cohesion.

The secret to the likes of City, Liverpool scoring many goals and looking fluid is mainly because of their direct as hell attack, aggressive pressing, using overloads from the wings or midfield and their superb movement. More than the players, and I might receive flak for this comment, I strongly believe it is mainly due to the tactics and coaching of our manager. And I don't believe buying Player X or Y will have a dramatic effect in our play.
No but having quick players that can beat a man will help IMO. I do agree that we need to attack better as a unit and I think it starts with adding another creative player with Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

We've scored more goals than Liverpool and would've been alot closer to City had Pogba not missed the games he did.

Womp

idiot

We've scored more goals than Liverpool. We've scored more goals than anyone in the league except City.

Arka_BleedingRed

We've scored more goals than Liverpool. We've scored more goals than anyone in the league except City.
And everytime we play well, it has been when we attacked with verve, gelled well as a unit, played good, attacking football. Not playing ultra defensive football, where the wide players double up as auxiliary Fbs, the central midfield becomes static and are unable to play simple forward passes, and the defence keeps hoofing the ball up to a striker whose hold-up play isn't arguably one of his strong suit. It is as if the manager doesn't trust the entire squad to play attacking football when Pogba isn't there.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

That's true but Brazilian players don't always do well in the PL and more so at Manchester United.
There's no nationality who 'always do well', but there are definitely some successful examples currently like Fernandinho, Coutinho, Firmino, Richarlison, Willian and Jesus.
If you then factor in that he's already had success in Ligue 1 it's a decent bet that he'll do well here aswell. I don't have any numbers on it, but the number of successful transfers from the french leagues seem really high currently.

Charles Miller

Have not watched him in games. But as per this highlights, I am not that impressed. Looks good but we need more refined player.
I think its mostly because highlights tend to try hype the players, but the guy who did that video was very honest there.
He showed the good aspects: long ranges, dribbling, aceleration in tight spaces, passes with the great weight, assists, etc.
And the bad aspects too, like how hes really left footed and his crosses with the right are poor.
As i said before to sign him to provide crosses from the right wing is not gonna work.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From the little i've watched him, he isn't the type of winger we should be going for. There surely has to be better options.

hungrywing

And everytime we play well, it has been when we attacked with verve, gelled well as a unit, played good, attacking football. Not playing ultra defensive football, where the wide players double up as auxiliary Fbs, the central midfield becomes static and are unable to play simple forward passes, and the defence keeps hoofing the ball up to a striker whose hold-up play isn't arguably one of his strong suit. It is as if the manager doesn't trust the entire squad to play attacking gootball when Pogba isn't there.
From the German 'gütbal', meaning roughly 'good football' for those who may not have known.

pascell

I hope we sign him, looks exactly what we need for RW and should be available for a fair fee.

Reminds me a lot of Douglas Costa without the searing pace but his acceleration, agility, low centre of gravity and quick feet would work wonders for us. Also, the fact it might not be his strongest component but his wilingness to use his right foot is impressive and his link up play, bringing others into play and assists are great also.

I can see him on the RW for us, I really can and his link up play with Martial, Pogba, Rashford etc would be brilliant at dragging defenders out of position etc, which is what we need when they park the bus.

Also as mentioned by @Wednesday at Stoke , he can speak french so would settle well into the club as quite a few of our lads are fluent in french.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why do you think that?
From what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the x-factor to be a winger for a club of our size. We need to go for someone who has electric pace but also has the technique to match.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He plays very similar to Mahrez from those Youtube highlights, certainly looks quick and agile with good balance, more what we require really than a straight line runner.

beingshe7don

From what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the x-factor to be a winger for a club of our size. We need to go for someone who has electric pace but also has the technique to match.
The only person I can think who offers that is Sane and he's at City. Man Utd has always been a team about width/ crosses and none of our wingers are actual wingers. The only recognized wingers at the club are Young and Valencia and both of them are used as wing backs or full backs.
Martial/ Rashford/ Mata/ Lingard/ Mhikitaryan are NOT traditional wingers. All of them prefer to drive inwards and shoot instead of crossing or providing width.

Just because some of these players tend to play well on the wings DOES NOT make them wingers. Mourinho needs to actually address this situation.

This whole inverted wingers tactics is bull crap.

Mcking

Malcom is not blistering fast, but he's quick enough for a winger and is technically good.
You would struggle to find a winger that combines searing pace with great technical ability - it's either one or the other.
Malcom has neither searing pace nor fantastic technical ability, but he combines both to a great level.
Who do you think have the x-factor to play for us btw?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Malcom is not blistering fast, but he's quick enough for a winger and is technically good.
You would struggle to find a winger that combines searing pace with great technical ability - it's either one or the other.
Malcom has neither searing pace nor fantastic technical ability, but he combines both to a great level.
Simon Cowell imo.

LonelyFire

From the little i've watched him, he isn't the type of winger we should be going for. There surely has to be better options.
Couldn’t disagree more. Quality wise it’s still up for debate but in terms of play style, he’s exactly what the team is crying out for.

Mcking

Simon Cowell imo.
The one that plays for Lyon? He's two footed, pretty fast and great technically. I think he'd be the perfect player for our RW, but he's ?20, I doubt Mourinho would go for him.
He has the potential to reach or even surpass Ribery and Robben's levels imo.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
For 26m, that seems like a good deal. Although it's a risk whether he'll be a hit or bust.
Where did the 26m figure come from? If that's the case, I jump on that right away. 26m in today's climate is almost a steal for a guy like Malcom.

Mcking

If that's true it sounds like us trying to do things on the cheap again, like Mkhi - we just need to get the right players not more of the same
That is not the case in this situation. He's the player we need, the low price is just a coincidence.

MJJ

The one that plays for Lyon? He's two footed, pretty fast and great technically. I think he'd be the perfect player for our RW, but he's ?20, I doubt Mourinho would go for him.
He has the potential to reach or even surpass Ribery and Robben's levels imo.
The one that judges for lyon.

Devil may care

The Bordeaux president has said he's not for sale in January and I think he's too raw and one dimensional, best to wait and see, he'd be better with a smaller move first.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

The Bordeaux president has said he's not for sale in January and I think he's too raw and one dimensional, best to wait and see, he'd be better with a smaller move first.
The problem is that there is so few quality options out there for RW. Either we take a big risk on Bale, take a punt on Mahrez who we can't be sure is the quality required, or one of the upcommers like Malcom and Pulisic and make them stars. I prefer going for youth, even if they will be inconsistent.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don't know who that player maybe but we need a wide player that has the ability to stretch opposing defences. I don't feel Malcom possesses what we need on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.