Mason Mount's Misfortune

Judas

Open to offers
Ooo that shirt number is gonna piss some people right off

Don't care about it myself, the mystique of it is pretty much dead anyway
Yep. If anything this is a wise choice to at least bring some potential long term consistency to the number. Imagine if it had gone to Sancho :lol: :(

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
England has a ridiculous team when you think about it. Mount and Bellingham at 8, Rice at 6, Rashford and Saka on the winger, Harry up top, Walker and Shaw at fullback, Maguire and Stones in defense and bench options to boot. Shame Southgate won't put it together.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
its a positive signing and i'm just glad its one the Erik really seemed to want.

As for the unveiling we have come a long ways since 'Pianoman', the Glazers must be holding back the production money and put Mason M in the broom cupboard with a bit of old carpet

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's a strange move from the club.

There is still a big no7 cult and you've just thrown him under the bus.

Not far off giving Maguire the armband after 4 months.

pawanraj

It's a fantastic signing. And before the start of preseason. Now get the GK situation sorted quickly and we can start the preseason on the right foot. I've a feeling striker's gonna happen at the end of the window anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

United had started pitching at the £40million mark, so the final possible price still represents a 50 per cent increase.

But Chelsea’s final counter-proposal before negotiations were momentarily halted was £65million (£58m, plus £7m of add-ons) so United see the likely £55m cost as a positive outcome, especially as well-placed sources say Mount’s asking price would have been £100m had he not been a free agent in 2024.
Mount was on the radars for Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United. Arsenal and Liverpool held talks about a move, with agent Neil Fewings providing assistance. But Tony Mount guided the process, and attended games at Old Trafford as United began their persuasion strategy.
Since leaving the Amsterdam club for United, Ten Hag has wanted a mobile No 8 who can add attacking edge and defensive nous, and he sees Mount as a modern midfielder, who is good on and off the ball. United’s recruitment department backed up the view of the 24-year-old as a player with the right profile and character.
The uncertainty over United’s future ownership did not block the purchase of one major player, but agents were given the impression that any additional signings would have to wait for clarity on a takeover.
He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool.

Smores

I am amazed in 2023, after all the dog shit the number 7 shirt has gone through, people still seem so invested.
The 7 is still meaningful but let's pretend otherwise just not to criticise any decisions the club make.

He'll need a top return to his former form to justify getting it. I prefer it as a reward for a player who shows he has the style to demand it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sigh. Should've been Garnacho. He was twerking for it and was the perfect type of player for it too. Giving it to a central mid is weird.

Ludens the Red

England has a ridiculous team when you think about it. Mount and Bellingham at 8, Rice at 6, Rashford and Saka on the winger, Harry up top, Walker and Shaw at fullback, Maguire and Stones in defense and bench options to boot. Shame Southgate won't put it together.
You what :lol:

Zoo

It's a strange move from the club.

There is still a big no7 cult and you've just thrown him under the bus.

Not far off giving Maguire the armband after 4 months.
Used to wear no7, idolised Ronaldo. He probably wanted it.

Judas

Open to offers
The 7 is still meaningful but let's pretend otherwise just not to criticise any decisions the club make.

He'll need a top return to his former form to justify getting it. I prefer it as a reward for a player who shows he has the style to demand it.
Aye I am very big defender of everything the club does, in fact I love the Glazers too. I'm allowed as an adult who has witnessed shirt numbers to not be overly fussed, if anything it's a better move than most of the other choices over the last what 10+ years!

ElDiabloRojo

Such a disappointing signing, and to see him with number 7 makes it worse.​

van Nistelrooy

Surprised at Mount getting the #7 but I never wanted Garnacho getting it so soon and Sancho doesn't deserve it.

Seems an odd squad number when he plays more central, but when Mount starts whipping in goals and assists from set-pieces, it will suit him better.

AndySmith1990

CL winner and international player gets shirt #7. But nah, feck the club, should've given it to a kid who may or may not make it at United. Some will moan about anything

L1nk

Do people not know who Bryan Robson was or something?

Good for him if that’s what he wanted, hope he plays well in it. Thougu I’m not that bothered that he got the 7, more so surprised, i would have thought the club would have had the foresight to see they might have had something special with Garnacho 7 if he proved himself beyond this season, but considering how young Mount is, even if Garnacho becomes a star he will likely never get 7 at this club now

Rustyspider13

Welcome to United, Mount! Always thought he was a player that could do a bit of everything, albeit not at a super high level. If EtH can take him up a level it would make him a very well-rounded player.

The number 7 is a surprise. Although he can't be worse than the last guy that wore it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Such a disappointing signing, and to see him with number 7 makes it worse.​
He’s an improvement on what we have and why do you care so much about number 7? We literally don’t have anyone else to give it to

cyberman

From The Athletic

He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool.

3vra

I am so pissed off seeing him with that 7, i was not really sold of him in our team cause i have never seen him had a good game and then they give central midfielder nr 7…. Give him 19 move Varane to 4 and everything is perfect, give 7 to Garnacho is it really so hard ? FFS

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The shirt number doesn’t annoy me. I didn’t feel Garnacho is ready for all the hype which comes with it. The last few 7s haven’t been successful anyway, hopefully this changes with Mount.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
£100m if his contract wasn't expiring in a year? Christ on a bike. English tax is mad. There's no way in hell this lad is worth anything close to what Rice is.
He’s better for us than Rice. Between Rice and Casmeiro we’d struggle to get out of our half.