Man charged over '97' football shirt at FA Cup final

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Dunno, this is a thread about a Man United fan wearing a shirt mocking Hillsborough so probably not the best place to ask, lest you come across like someone indulging in some classic whattaboutary.
feck off.

I've called this crap out many times and won't have someone acting like I'm trying to downplay this lowlife. All I did was ask a question about another incident in a thread about tragedy mocking.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Thick cnut. Will hopefully have the book thrown at him and never attend any of our matches again.

SER19

I just don't understand how grown men indulge in this sort of stuff. It's so utterly embarrassing. Like if you sat down with him and asked him to explain the joke and what he's doing, the best he could come up with would be something like -

'Well, 97 people were crushed to death over 3 decades ago, and they supported a football club that I don't really like, and who aren't playing today. So what I did, was pay somebody actual money to put this on my shirt so I could walk around and maybe a few other people would think what a mad bastard I am.'

It's an idiocy that makes you wonder what the guy's day to day life is like.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whilst what this guy did was despicable, by this description you call someone fat at a game and the police can get involved. In general I'm uncomfortable with offending someone being a criminal offence.
It isn't a case where if you punish someone for X you also have to punish someone for Y, which is clearly much less bad than X. The law is allowed to recognise that this is worse than just calling a person fat, just as actual people would. Some things meet the threshold for an offence while others don't.

And in this case examples of when it has been or is supposed to be used include things like persistently shouting obscenities, persistently pestering people in queues, bring rowdy in the street at night, some instance of swearing at police and brandishing "stop homosexuality" or "Islam out of Britain" type signs. I don't particulary think this instance is out of step with a law that is supposed to be applied to those sort of less serious offences.

Especially given that whether a mesage was "gratuitous and calculated to insult" is part of the guidance, and this clearly was given he had to actually get it printed in advance and then specifically wore it to a football game where there was increased likelihood of provoking reaction.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Agree on it not being a police matter, law of the street should be applied here and the club can ban him too, just for being an utter mouth breather who shouldn’t be allowed to associate with us.
:lol:Sounds very Boyz n the Hood.

The club should clearly ban him for life.

slyadams

It isn't a case where if you punish someone for X you also have to punish someone for Y, which is clearly much less bad than X. The law is allowed to recognise that this is worse than just calling a person fat, just as actual people would. Some things meet the threshold for an offence while others don't.

And in this case examples of when it has been or is supposed to be used include things like persistently shouting obscenities, persistently pestering people in queues, bring rowdy in the street at night, some instance of swearing at police and brandishing "stop homosexuality" or "Islam out of Britain" type signs. I don't particulary think this instance is out of step with a law that is supposed to be applied to those sort of less serious offences.

Especially given that whether a mesage was "gratuitous and calculated to insult" is part of the guidance, and this clearly was given he had to actually get it printed in advance and then specifically wore it to a football game where there was increased likelihood of provoking reaction.
Well thought out post. My motivation to post was that the wording of the section was being used to highlight this is a black and white offense, wheras you've demonstrated above it isn't. In my opinion this guy is a moron and all clubs should ban him from their grounds forever but this shouldn't reach the level of having to consume police time.

TsuWave

How do you even convict for something like that? Legit question - can't the guy just argue a bunch of random things to squirm his way out of it?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

I'm loathed to get too in to this in the FF's but I will just say I think the issue is that this quite complicated judgement is in the hands of folk with the prejudices of the UK police. I do not personally have faith that their decision making will consistently be in the public interest.

Cloud7

I just don't understand how grown men indulge in this sort of stuff. It's so utterly embarrassing. Like if you sat down with him and asked him to explain the joke and what he's doing, the best he could come up with would be something like -

'Well, 97 people were crushed to death over 3 decades ago, and they supported a football club that I don't really like, and who aren't playing today. So what I did, was pay somebody actual money to put this on my shirt so I could walk around and maybe a few other people would think what a mad bastard I am.'

It's an idiocy that makes you wonder what the guy's day to day life is like.
I see things on the internet that make me think, and I am not trying to offend anyone, but football fans the world over seem like some of the dumbest people around.

You have guys like this, the people that were abusing the referee and his family after the Europa league final, the person who posted the photo of the young German girl and captioned it something to the effect of “cry you slut” or something like that, the guy outside Wembley before the Euro final who was lighting fireworks out of his bottom. It’s just filled with loads and loads of idiots.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
33 years old. The infantilisation of people in this country is horrifying. Edgelords attempting to live 4chan lives in the real world.

Don’t ban him. Give a season ticket in The Kop, or tell him to wear the shirt and go door to door apologising to the families.

Utterly contemptible human.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
33 years old. The infantilisation of people in this country is horrifying. Edgelords attempting to live 4chan lives in the real world.

Don’t ban him. Give a season ticket in The Kop, or tell him to wear the shirt and go door to door apologising to the families.

Utterly contemptible human.
Don't even give him the luxury of apologising.

Just have him walk around Anfield on a match day, on his own, wearing that shirt.

I dare say decent Liverpool fans wouldn't touch him to add insult to injury because they know how it'd look, even if we'd be right behind them if he ended up in a coma like he deserves.

I would hope Liverpool fans (and others) could see this thread and extrapolate it to show the majority of us United fans won't stand for shit like this.

RVN1991

Can't believe there are people that find something like this funny. Disgusting.

Just Hope

Can't believe there are people that find something like this funny. Disgusting.
This, imagine the reaction if the situation was reversed and a Liverpool fan sported a kit with "23 Not Enough".

Feck this guy, I hope he pays some hefty fines and ends up with a lot of community service.

Jam

Utter prick. No place for this in the club, or football altogether.

Ban the cnut for life.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There's an old common law offence called "outraging public decency". I think it's been used for people doing lewd things in public, or acts such as urinating on a war memorial. I reckon this fits the bill. Most people who have a normal moral compass would be disgusted by this shirt.

MichaelRed

Can't believe the police are wasting time on this. Guess they need to boost their figures since the tories have gutted them & the vast majority of major crime goes unsolved these days. This guy is probably a twat but this will never stick in court, he could say it means it's not enough if you don't give the full 100 or a multitude of other things.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Can't believe the police are wasting time on this. Guess they need to boost their figures since the tories have gutted them & the vast majority of major crime goes unsolved these days. This guy is probably a twat but this will never stick in court, he could say it means it's not enough if you don't give the full 100 or a multitude of other things.
you were saying?

Fr. Todd Unctious

Ladron de redcafe

Deserved. How an adult can possibly think this is appropriate and/or funny, is beyond me. There's tribalism in sports and there's being thick. This is the latter.

Can't imagine his family and friends being anything other than completely embarrassed for him when they see that.

RopersReturn

Good, there’s absolutely no place for that sort of sick behaviour. Can anyone imagine how the bereaved families would’ve felt, having to witness such a grotesquely offensive statement adorned on a t-shirt. Life ban from OT for him hopefully coming.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The defence told the court White "deeply regrets" his actions and accepted he "hurt people very deeply".

White, who laughed in the dock, was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay a surcharge of £400 and £85 in costs.
Not an easy man to represent, from the sounds of it.

Malone_Post

Rather then banning him, his punishment should be being forced to sit in the Kop end for every home game over the next four seasons, wearing the same shirt, whilst being offered no police protection. That’ll soon stop him laughing. Absolute scumbag.

Glad the club have banned him for life. Shame the FA/PL didn’t have the balls to do the same.