Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
The only way any PL team is going to compete with City is by finding their SAF/Klopp. These kinds of managers are a rarity.

Liverpool have crashed & burned this season due not having enough money to improve their squad depth. Even the best managers cannot continually keep pulling the rabbit from the hat.

Teams like PSG & City will have off years. PSG recently lost the league to Monaco & City lost out to Liverpool. When this happens these teams will spend big again. You are then stuck in a perpetual cycle of 1 team regularly winning the league punctuated by outlier seasons.
Which is just how the PL was in the 90s & 2000s. United would win 2/3 titles, have an off year, and then repeat. For 20 years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The only way any PL team is going to compete with City is by finding their SAF/Klopp. These kinds of managers are a rarity.

Liverpool have crashed & burned this season due not having enough money to improve their squad depth. Even the best managers cannot continually keep pulling the rabbit from the hat.

Teams like PSG & City will have off years. PSG recently lost the league to Monaco & City lost out to Liverpool. When this happens these teams will spend big again. You are then stuck in a perpetual cycle of 1 team regularly winning the league punctuated by outlier seasons.
I started follow Arsenal in 1998 and i remember SAF spent the most money in transfer before Chelsea take over in 2003. From Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Jaap Stam, RVN, Veron, Rio Ferdinand to Rooney.

1999-2003 net spend

United: £90,050,000
Liverpool: £60,110,000
Newcastle: £56,950,000
City: £54,662,000
Spurs: £46,552,500
Chelsea: £40,760,000
Arsenal: £17,916,000

Chelsea and Man city spent lots of money in the early stage after take over were to play catch up to improve the quality of their squad to be able to compete right away. It is normal. Man Utd spent as much as City for transfer fee and wages anyway for the past decade.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-net-spent-per-trophy-over-the-last-10-years/

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I started follow Arsenal in 1998 and i remember SAF spent the most money in transfer before Chelsea take over in 2003. From Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Jaap Stam, RVN, Veron, Rio Ferdinand to Rooney.

1999-2003 net spend

United: £90,050,000
Liverpool: £60,110,000
Newcastle: £56,950,000
City: £54,662,000
Spurs: £46,552,500
Chelsea: £40,760,000
Arsenal: £17,916,000

Chelsea and Man city spent lots of money in the early stage after take over were to play catch up to improve the quality of their squad to be able to compete right away. It is normal. Man Utd spent as much as City for transfer fee and wages anyway for the past decade.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-net-spent-per-trophy-over-the-last-10-years/
Fergie and United were winning trophies before 1999.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Nobody can match City's spending so the route to other clubs buying their way to success is closed. The alternative is to find a SAF or Klopp who can achieve success whilst working to the confines of the clubs financial situation.

The recent success of Pep's tenure at City has been mainly due to the fact that there aren't any managers like Klopp in the PL. The other clubs in the top 6 are the weakest they've been in a long time. Chelsea, Arsenal & Utd have all gone into the season with managers with little top level experience. Spurs have a manager that's past his best. Liverpool have been beset with an injury crisis.
United can and has spent almost as much as City in the previous decade. And City wouldn't be as sucessful and dominant with Guardiola. If Guardiola had come to City and dictaded what players to be hired, United would be as City is now. He is the key to make everything truly work. And, to be honest, Liverpool's owners are shamefully cheap, they should expend more. Bayern too. They are rich.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
United can and has spent almost as much as City in the previous decade. And City wouldn't be as sucessful and dominant with Guardiola. If Guardiola had come to City and dictaded what players to be hired, United would be as City is now. He is the key to make everything truly work. And, to be honest, Liverpool's owners are shamefully cheap, they should expend more. Bayern too. They are rich.
Man Utd is doing exactly the same as Man City, just with less success. I see no difference in practice.

ExecutionerWasp001

Which is just how the PL was in the 90s & 2000s. United would win 2/3 titles, have an off year, and then repeat. For 20 years.
The reason we did this was due to SAF. The playing field was more level then as many teams routinely outspent us. There were also more quality teams in the league making the whole spectacle much more competitive. We really shouldn't have been as dominant as we were all things considered.

A large factor in our demise is the chronic lack of spending in SAF's final years. With SAF continually performing miracles in working to a budget & promoting youth we were blinded to the long term implications of our lack of spending when he would eventually retire.

Any competent manager would have achieved what Pep has done during his City tenure. The PL has been a weak competition for a number of years. If Klopp hadn't been around City would have won 4 titles in 5. The only reason it isn't 5 out of 5 is due to Pep needing a year to implement his play style. If other teams don't start spending there is nothing stopping City winning 4 or 5 on the spin with or without Pep.

Pep would have thrown his toys out of the pram after a couple of years at Utd. Do you really think the Glazers would have sanctioned a £300 Mill spend in 1 window.

Liverpool aren't cheap they can only spend within their means like every other club. If Klopp had been able to spend at the level of Pep they would have likely gone on to dominate for a considerable time. As a Utd fan this is at least 1 silver lining.

Bayern are a template to how a club should be run. They have an advantage in being in a 1 team league. They are still though successful in Europe whilst being self sustaining.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The reason we did this was due to SAF. The playing field was more level then as many teams routinely outspent us. There were also more quality teams in the league making the whole spectacle much more competitive. We really shouldn't have been as dominant as we were all things considered.

A large factor in our demise is the chronic lack of spending in SAF's final years. With SAF continually performing miracles in working to a budget & promoting youth we were blinded to the long term implications of our lack of spending when he would eventually retire.
Keep telling this to yourself again and again won't change the fact that Man Utd has the highest wage bill in EPL year after year and its net spent for the past decade matched Man city.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Man Utd is doing exactly the same as Man City, just with less success. I see no difference in practice.
The difference is Guardiola.

Any competent manager would have achieved what Pep has done during his City tenure. The PL has been a weak competition for a number of years. If Klopp hadn't been around City would have won 4 titles in 5. The only reason it isn't 5 out of 5 is due to Pep needing a year to implement his play style. If other teams don't start spending there is nothing stopping City winning 4 or 5 on the spin with or without Pep.

Pep would have thrown his toys out of the pram after a couple of years at Utd. Do you really think the Glazers would have sanctioned a £300 Mill spend in 1 window.

Liverpool aren't cheap they can only spend within their means like every other club. If Klopp had been able to spend at the level of Pep they would have likely gone on to dominate for a considerable time. As a Utd fan this is at least 1 silver lining.

Bayern are a template to how a club should be run. They have an advantage in being in a 1 team league. They are still though successful in Europe whilst being self sustaining.
Now, you're trying to take merits away from Guardiola's stunning work at City. That's sad. And the PL was worse in the first half of the 2010s than the second half of the 2000s. A merely competent manager wouldn't have won 2018 with 100 points and neither 2019 with 98 points beating a juggernaut amazing Liverpool side that had 97 points!

Keep telling this to yourself again and again won't change the fact that Man Utd has the highest wage bill in EPL year after year and its net spent for the past decade matched Man city.
Exactly.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Just watched this. Really interesting interview. Found myself engrossed listening to Pep.

Often wonder what would have happened if we’d have got him instead of City.
I think I can answer that for you haha!!!...you would have won the league a few times.

I agree that it was a really good interview... it's rare you see Pep smiling so much.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think I can answer that for you haha!!!...you would have won the league a few times.

I agree that it was a really good interview... it's rare you see Pep smiling so much.
Credit to Rio for admitting his stance regarding Foden's development. It's scary to think of his final form if he continues to develop under Guardiola and adds those extra facets to his game. I still can't believe his father is a United fan :mad:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Dont know a bout a few times but at least once. Brilliant manager.

Dansk

I wonder if it says anything about club culture when teams like Liverpool and United struggle at home without their fans behind them while City seem largely unaffected in a silent, empty stadium.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Liverpool had won every home league game except for two draws this season until they lost to Burnley on 21st January...since then they have totally collapsed.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Culture? I don't think so. But mentality probably yes.
We're used to having sold out stadiums with the fans backing us, City, not so much. It's not mentality, just being used to different contexts.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We're used to having sold out stadiums with the fans backing us, City, not so much. It's not mentality, just being used to different contexts.
I keep hearing this as an excuse, which is a mentality thing.

We could say that we're missing fans if it went down to 5k on the stadium for both us and City. It would be a bigger difference for us than city. But If you go from 50/70k to 0, it doesn't matter what you're used to imo.
Plus, City are not exactly sweating these days. They are head and shoulders above everyone else in this league so they don't need extra urgency, which we seem to be missing now.

Ludens the Red

Have to say when I saw their line up it gave a little lift.
If there were three players I didn’t want us facing it was Foden, Bernardo and Walker.
And the three id be happy to face, Sterling (luv ya mate) Mahrez and Jesus.

Really strange from Pep, especially the Walker one who you would have thought would have dealt better with the pace on the break.
Seemed to pick that team based on what happened v Wolves rather than facing us.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Have to say when I saw their line up it gave a little lift.
If there were three players I didn’t want us facing it was Foden, Bernardo and Walker.
And the three id be happy to face, Sterling (luv ya mate) Mahrez and Jesus.

Really strange from Pep, especially the Walker one who you would have thought would have dealt better with the pace on the break.
Seemed to pick that team based on what happened v Wolves rather than facing us.
Reeked of arrogance, that we were gonna go out and play you off the pitch whilst not worrying bout the counter. Gave up a lot of workrate in Foden and Bernie for KDB and Raheem (one who is miles off the pace) and the other who has an inbuilt fear of United (no goals in 23 apps). Pep always drops a bollick here and there, this was one. That said United were very good today and regardless of team we had out defended well and broke well.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I didn't know what thread to post this on, but I must say, us rival fans can debate the merits of each team chasing City, but Utd are consistently the 1 team that doesn't shit themselves when playing them, so for that I doff my cap!

Bole Top

it's always funny seeing Pep lose in such way, but games likes this and Jesus underwhelming performance and his rather poor return this season will just make sure one of Haaland or Mbappe arrive sooner. there's simply no way Pep goes through another season without proper striker.

SER19

Thought it was really clear in the last 15 that we were tired. And we're a club that can afford a big squad. Over the course of the season, with a 300m plus bench and rotating often, the lack of fatigue has been absolutely huge for them. I won't say it's won them the title but it's earned them massive points

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
it's always funny seeing Pep lose in such way, but games likes this and Jesus underwhelming performance and his rather poor return this season will just make sure one of Haaland or Mbappe arrive sooner. there's simply no way Pep goes through another season without proper striker.
City would do well with either of the names you mentioned but apart from the penalty Jesus did all he could.

tomaldinho1

Everyone saying how this was their best team under Pep can calm down a bit now. They'll win the PL at a canter and might even win the CL but this team is nothing on the team of 2/3 years back.

Also, Diaz without protection has exactly the same issues as Maguire.

Ludens the Red

Reeked of arrogance, that we were gonna go out and play you off the pitch whilst not worrying bout the counter. Gave up a lot of workrate in Foden and Bernie for KDB and Raheem (one who is miles off the pace) and the other who has an inbuilt fear of United (no goals in 23 apps). Pep always drops a bollick here and there, this was one. That said United were very good today and regardless of team we had out defended well and broke well.
Yeah, very unusual for Pep, guess he’s allowed an off day. I mean I don’t know how many more performances like this Sterling has to put in against us to just not be picked. It’s one of the weirdest things in football this run of his.

Bobski

Yeah, very unusual for Pep, guess he’s allowed an off day. I mean I don’t know how many more performances like this Sterling has to put in against us to just not be picked. It’s one of the weirdest things in football this run of his.
Sterling looks very one dimensional against Utd, his goal threat vanishes and he hasn't much in the way of variation of creation for others.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Everyone saying how this was their best team under Pep can calm down a bit now. They'll win the PL at a canter and might even win the CL but this team is nothing on the team of 2/3 years back.

Also, Diaz without protection has exactly the same issues as Maguire.
Anyone without protection will have same issues I think.

Bearded One

Pep sometimes can be a victim of his own tactical genius. I hope he tinkers again and loose in the CL knock out rounds.

That said, I am so proud of the boys who dug in and fought for a well deserved win against all odds. Luke Shaw was my MOTM.

AshRK

I didn't know what thread to post this on, but I must say, us rival fans can debate the merits of each team chasing City, but Utd are consistently the 1 team that doesn't shit themselves when playing them, so for that I doff my cap!
People can mock Ole all they want but tactically he on most occasions gets it absolutely right against Pep. It's not a coincidence he gets better of pep on numerous occasions. Today was another display of that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought their two best players were their two subs.

KDB was shocking, Jesus a non - threat... Mahrez and Gundogan looked their most threatening but didn't really come off for either.

That cross from Walker was an absolute beauty though... Should be giving Sterling a slap for missing that

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Sourness got it right before kick off. Apart from the goalie, every City sub would get into any other team in the league. Its arguable, but he's not far off.

Irwin99

I thought Pep was actually sussing how to play us a bit more this season- the previous games were more cautious and City's better technical quality came to the fore but he went back to underestimating the counter and trying to walk the ball into the net. Arrogance? Today was just a repeat of the games last season and he fell for it again.

Djemba-Djemba

There was a period from around the end of Fergie and carrying on for a few years after that where our derby record was an embarrassment. Something like 5 or 6 defeats in a row.

At least that's changed now, we do pretty well against City these days. Certainly better than any other team in the league

Sterling looks very one dimensional against Utd, his goal threat vanishes and he hasn't much in the way of variation of creation for others.
it’s a strange one, but then Ian Rush went years without scoring against us as well. It took him until about 92 to score his first goal against us. Goodness knows how many appearances it took him.

just one of those weird ones.