Man City: Are they dirty?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Reddy Rederson, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Well some of their tackling hasn´t really been sportsmanlike at all.
  2. Oct 8, 2019

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    Why is 'tactical fouling' only seen as a Man City thing ? All clubs are guilty of it. Lucas Leiva made a career out of it when he played for us.
  3. Oct 11, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

4. Oct 11, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Tactical fouling has been around forever. I remember Aron Winter intentionally fouling a Belarus player he was through on goal to save our lead in 1995.

football's just a dirty game all around. The Rugby World cup really is a sort of wake up call. Quite a few of my friends much prefer it over football and it's really hard to argue against them sometimes when they bring up all the cheating that goes on in football.
  5. Oct 11, 2019

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    infringements are easier to spot in Rugby but there is still plenty of 'gamesmanship' going on
  6. Oct 11, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Well, I'm by no means an expert, but I saw a bull of a man charge shoulder first into someone's ribcage and he didn't even flinch.

Football is fecking pathetic in that regard.
  7. Oct 11, 2019

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    oh yeah no doubt about that
  8. Oct 11, 2019

Borussin Full Member

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It isn't seen as just a Man City thing. Part of the issue with City, is that they seem to do it far more and get away with it far more than most - Fernandinho being the master at getting away with multiple yellow card worthy fouls a game.

It's the referees that are the problem, it'd be interesting to know why the PL dosen't brief their refs to the art of tactical fouling and have them clamp down on it, especially with players who do it constantly.
  9. Oct 11, 2019

noodlehair "It's like..."

I think they do it more systematically than any other team...at the moment at least.

You've always had players who were prone to it but with city it's clearly a tactic and something they train on.

I still don't think it's a massive issue. Definitely not as big a factor as occasionally gets made out. Tbh the only thing that annoys me about it is the way Pep will deny it and feign anger at anyone who suggests it. It's obvious and there isn't anything stopping other teams doing the same so you can't call it cheating, so why treat people like they're stupid.
  10. Oct 11, 2019

kaiser1 New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    Most professional players don't need to be told to "take one for the team" It actually reflects badly on you as a footballer if you cannot foul a player that is making a dangerous run before he gets into the box
  11. Oct 11, 2019

noodlehair "It's like..."

Yes but most do it as and when a situation occurs that might put the team at risk.

City do it systematically. I.e. to prevent there even being a chance of that situation occurring. So instead of a guy getting booked on the half way line for bringing down the opposition forward, they're conceding a foul with no booking 2 or 3 passes before the opposition are in a dangerous situation.

I wouldn't say it as a criticism either. I think it takes a lot of tactical discipline and is only a small part of how they play.
  12. Oct 12, 2019

Scroto Baggins Full Member

It is not only a Man City thing, it is just they are one of the best practitioners of it. Still cannot get over that West Ham game where they committed 8 fouls to Hammers 1 at half time, zero cards given out. The reffing is so bad sometimes, surely after 4-5 tactical fouls in one half it's time to drag out the yellow card?
  13. Oct 26, 2019

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Refs seem to be catching on to their tactical fouling. Or atleast more brave to call it out.

14. Oct 26, 2019

shahzadi Full Member

Only because Liverpool are leading the title race. They will address every possible avenue to make it smoother for them.