Man City's Insane Spending

tomaldinho1

That's like saying taking a mortgage to own a home or start a business is immoral. Almost all large acquisitions are funded with 70-80% Debt (unless you are a cash rich software company like Amazon/Microsoft/Apple). There is no concept of morality in this. United's owners took a risk of accepting Debt while betting that they could increase cash flows enough to pay off the Debt. Every large corporation you've worked for has done this.

Yes outliers exist. After their victory, how many times have they been considered a challenger for a top-4 position at the start of the season? Is it because they lost Mahrez & Kante in succession? Why do they lose key players like Maguire and now Tielemens? Do you think they will challenge for top-4 this season?
I’m aware of how debt works…and yes mortgages are awful but we all literally have no choice unless but to get one which ties us into essentially a lifetime of debt.

Also read the post before jumping in because you’ve backed up my point - debt is so common in business it’s be unrealistic to think United acting their own interests re debt calculations and FFP would make any difference. It would have been a majority of clubs wanting the same.

Again read the post man…your reply makes zero sense.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Again read the post man…your reply makes zero sense.
My response was to specific points such as LBO being immoral. Its like saying making a profit above 5% is immoral or paying anyone an annual wage over $50k is immoral.
Also - You make a point about drawing the line somewhere - it seems all the traditional big club fans are happy as long as the line doesn't threaten the established order.
Again - my overarching point is that clubs in smaller cities have no chance of dreaming big as long as they don't have a defense mechanism for retaining players. And the only way to retain players is adequate money.

tomaldinho1

My response was to specific points such as LBO being immoral. Its like saying making a profit above 5% is immoral or paying anyone an annual wage over $50k is immoral.
Also - You make a point about drawing the line somewhere - it seems all the traditional big club fans are happy as long as the line doesn't threaten the established order.
Again - my overarching point is that clubs in smaller cities have no chance of dreaming big as long as they don't have a defense mechanism for retaining players. And the only way to retain players is adequate money.
What are you talking about?

Re line drawn, what is the alternative? We don’t live in a perfect world. I already acknowledged it’s very easy for a United fan to say this but there is literally no other alternative other than just say ‘free for all, do what you want’.

Zen86

I don't think that this should be a part of sport at all ... I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of working with unsavory organizations when it suits you and demonizing the same set of organizations when it doesn't suit you.

EDIT: Refer the highlighted part - I think you have said the quiet part loud - you don't have a problem with Leicester's/Pool's/Spurs' wealthy owners because they can't spend enough to challenge United's ability to purchase players. Your real problem is that not only have City's owners spent well (especially last 5-6 seasons), they have a lot of money to spend.

On a side note - my experience in working with Arabia-based (entire peninsula) companies is that the Arabian elites don't have a lot of knowledge on how to run technically complex businesses or global-best practices. However they are really good at hiring the right people and 'secure' enough to give their senior managers decentralized decision making powers.
What hypocrisy is this? Who is working with these unsavoury organisations? Am I?

I’m sure you’re well aware of the spend figures over the years. The league has never seen sustained spend of this magnitude before, not ever. Not United, not Liverpool, not even Chelsea.

And why are you masquerading as a Real Madrid anyway? Are you embarrassed to fess up or something?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
What hypocrisy is this? Who is working with these unsavoury organisations? Am I?
Not you ... but organizations you may have purchased from (oil & gas, household appliances) or are important to the stability of your nation (inflation, military, trade) may have done so, indirectly benefitting you. You can't have separate moral standards for different things.
I’m sure you’re well aware of the spend figures over the years. The league has never seen sustained spend of this magnitude before, not ever. Not United, not Liverpool, not even Chelsea.
Which perfectly encapsulates the point I made in previous post - its not really unsavory businesses that bother the average big club fan, its the fact that they can outspend them by a huge margin and for a sustained period that does. Thats not a principled stance to take.
And why are you masquerading as a Real Madrid anyway? Are you embarrassed to fess up or something?
I'm genuinely a Real Madrid fan (since 1998). Joined this forum since I'm also a huge Ronaldo fan-boy. Why would I be embarrassed about being a City/Pool fan, considering the last 5 years? And the fact that there are other City/Pool fans on this forum?

If your problem is that City have way too much cash and should be restricted then one could say wealthy European/American companies should not be allowed to enter markets of Brazil/India/etc because they have enough cash to outspend most domestic firms. However - free trade is encouraged around the world including the UK asking other developing countries to open their markets for UK firms.
If your problem is that City are part of an unsavory regime and should not have passed the fit-proper rule then one could say that UK should cease all trade with the Middle-East, China and many democratic but corrupt countries. Is that what happens in real life? Why? Because it benefits UK. Again not a principled stance.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
it’s very easy for a United fan to say this but there is literally no other alternative other than just say ‘free for all, do what you want’.
You see the irony here right? Your alternatives are based on what is good for United (historically successful, rich club). You obviously are not seeing what is good for Newcastle who's only alternative is to have a wealthy benefactor. There are many, many more Newcastles than Uniteds, all of whom deserve a chance to build something meaningful but can't because big clubs (especially those in big cities) keep taking their players.
I don't want to derail the thread, so lets agree to disagree.

tomaldinho1

You see the irony here right? Your alternatives are based on what is good for United (historically successful, rich club). You obviously are not seeing what is good for Newcastle who's only alternative is to have a wealthy benefactor. There are many, many more Newcastles than Uniteds, all of whom deserve a chance to build something meaningful but can't because big clubs (especially those in big cities) keep taking their players.
I don't want to derail the thread, so lets agree to disagree.
I get the point and that’s why the sensible thing to do would have been a wage cap which stops the richest clubs just blowing everyone out the water on salaries (and stops a lot of players/agents manoeuvring for transfers). You can’t reset time and somehow get all clubs to a level playing field though but what you can do is create a set of rules and enforce them, otherwise what’s the point?

FFP was created to stop owners destroying clubs FYI. Obviously it helps if when it came in you were a big club but it was created to improve the level of the average clubs and over time create more competitiveness. Football has been flying and big money pouring in but that’s potentially plateauing now, at some point as interest moves elsewhere in the long term (look at football participation numbers which were already tailing off pre covid) the clubs have to be able to be self sufficient.

I’d love nothing more than a league where 20 teams can genuinely win the title every season. That to me is a pipe dream but I do think we should be able to get to a place where you can realistically have 6-7 teams all about the same level. That’s why the PL became so popular (the idea of anyone can beat anyone despite it not being particularly true!) and if we can get back to that/improve on it it’ll be great for the league long term.

copen1945

They seem to be spending a lot. Haaland should cost them a bucketful, with wages, bonus, consulting fees, marketing costs paid to parents, and all else added up. They are also bringing in squad fillers at starter-level prices. Of course, a bucketful of oil should cover everything. It is either three in a row for the oil club or else for the other lot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are helped because they seem to sell a player that nobody has ever seen or heard of every week for 5-15m in the summer windows.

This is the latest one today. A few seem to go to Southampton every summer too.

ExecutionerWasp001

They seem to be spending a lot. Haaland should cost them a bucketful, with wages, bonus, consulting fees, marketing costs paid to parents, and all else added up.
Riola stated he was after 750K a week for Haaland when they were hawking themselves to prospective clubs around Europe. That didn't include agents fees, signing fees, image rights etc etc. It's the biggest ever deal in world football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are helped because they seem to sell a player that nobody has ever seen or heard of every week for 5-15m in the summer windows.

This is the latest one today. A few seem to go to Southampton every summer too.

These guys probably have about 20 minutes first team experience for City combined. Yet we can’t find anyone willing to pay for an England goalkeeper.

I’m aware these kids are rated, but they manage to sell loads of unknowns for decent money every year which helps massively.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

These guys probably have about 20 minutes first team experience for City combined. Yet we can’t find anyone willing to pay for an England goalkeeper.

I’m aware these kids are rated, but they manage to sell loads of unknowns for decent money every year which helps massively.
I despise City but unfortunately they sell well and mostly spend their money wisely.

Might be down to them not being on £100,000 per week contracts. Plus, it's easier to part with £5-15m than £25m+ or whatever United has set for Henderson.

Also, "England goalkeeper" is quite generous for a 25-year old who has been capped one solitary time. For comparison, Bazunu has 10 caps for Ireland at age 20.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
United now are where City were 15 years ago -
Bore off mate :lol:
15 years ago you were floating around in the bottom half of the league.

23 years ago my boys Wycombe were doing the double over you in the third tier!

Castia

On the verge of making 40m+ on a load of reserve team players, they’re on a completely different level aren’t they.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's messed up isn't it.
Like when Chelsea would sell tat abroad for huge fees, or when Bournemouth kept putting in high fees for utterly sh!te Liverpool players.

I dare say if we ever uncovered the true scale of corruption in football we'd all sack it off as a sport.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
On the verge of making 40m+ on a load of reserve team players, they’re on a completely different level aren’t they.
You can be certain that it's totally legit, and not some dodgy deal to appear to legitimise income.

You can be certain that it's totally legit, and not some dodgy deal to appear to legitimise income.
Are you accusing Southampton, Leeds, Gladbach, Sporting and Leverkusen of cooking their books to appear to have spent more on these players?

Skills

Snitch

We wouldn't be allowed to sell our youth players, without some outcry.

You need to sell them on the way up, not when you've already proved they're not good enough at your own club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are you accusing Southampton, Leeds, Gladbach, Sporting and Leverkusen of cooking their books to appear to have spent more on these players?
Of course not, all of these deals are without any question at all.

justsomebloke

If your problem is that City are part of an unsavory regime and should not have passed the fit-proper rule then one could say that UK should cease all trade with the Middle-East, China and many democratic but corrupt countries. Is that what happens in real life? Why? Because it benefits UK. Again not a principled stance.
Are you serious? This is a total strawman. There is no logical connection whatsoever between that stance and the arguments against allowing an unsavory regime to turn a Premier League club into a sportswashing operation, whatever you think about the latter. To make the connection you call for would not be principled, it would just be stupid.

BerryBerryShrew

Of course not, all of these deals are without any question at all.
I can't say I've heard of this Lavia guy, but I can say £12m-£15m for Bazunu is a bargain for Southampton. He'll be the best keeper in the league sooner rather than later.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
You guys can argue about morals and ethics and whatnot but the fact is the league ain’t gonna do anything about it because all this investment is necessary to keep the EPL as the No 1 league so they can make more money from it and the government sure as hell ain’t going to lift a finger because off all the tax revenue these clubs generate. Just at the wagebills of each PL club and remember half of that goes to the government in taxes. The taxman is rubbing his hands in glee every time a fat new contract is awarded.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Can't imagine anyone in the premier league willing to pay £14m for the likes of Iqbal and Hansen, no idea how City managed to get that for Lavia.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can't say I've heard of this Lavia guy, but I can say £12m-£15m for Bazunu is a bargain for Southampton. He'll be the best keeper in the league sooner rather than later.
In fairness, I am aware of his rep and he’s already an international. I’m not sure he has played for City yet though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can't imagine anyone in the premier league willing to pay £14m for the likes of Iqbal and Hansen, no idea how City managed to get that for Lavia.
To be fair to them (both clubs) - Southampton did something similar with Livramento last summer and it was a huge success.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You guys can argue about morals and ethics and whatnot but the fact is the league ain’t gonna do anything about it because all this investment is necessary to keep the EPL as the No 1 league so they can make more money from it and the government sure as hell ain’t going to lift a finger because off all the tax revenue these clubs generate. Just at the wagebills of each PL club and remember half of that goes to the government in taxes. The taxman is rubbing his hands in glee every time a fat new contract is awarded.
Yes city at least not dumb enough to waste money for players such as Lukaku,Morata like Chelsea did.That's why they are in top of the table but chelsea United struggle to catch them.

Liverpool did spend but not much like city but they are pretty successful in recruitments recently otherwise they also in group of chelsea United struggled to match city s points.

Will see how much this window these two (chelsea,United) teams willing to spend.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
To be fair to them (both clubs) - Southampton did something similar with Livramento last summer and it was a huge success.
Livramento is a good comparison, but it was a third of the price at £5m, and he was a Chelsea player since he was a kid, Lavia (had to look him up) has only been at City two years - also Livramento is English, which usually means bigger transfer fees.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
City did make a huge investment into their academy, won a lots of trophies across the youth leagues, and then people are surprised that the sales of those youth players generate more income than most other sides. It’s almost like the business model works!

That said, we do also spend a fair bit of young talent too, so it’s not quite all hits and income. Every summer there’s a fair few £Ms invested into young players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Livramento is a good comparison, but it was a third of the price at £5m, and he was a Chelsea player since he was a kid, Lavia (had to look him up) has only been at City two years - also Livramento is English, which usually means bigger transfer fees.
And it was 5m precisely because he had zero professional games to his name, but we also let them pay a little less because they agreed to a buyback clause. Guehi was a seasoned pro when we sold him compared to Livramento and this Lavia kid and he only went for about 6m more than Lavia. This kid must have been tearing it up at youth level for Southampton to spend that much on him.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
City did make a huge investment into their academy, won a lots of trophies across the youth leagues, and then people are surprised that the sales of those youth players generate more income than most other sides. It’s almost like the business model works!

That said, we do also spend a fair bit of young talent too, so it’s not quite all hits and income. Every summer there’s a fair few £Ms invested into young players.
Yeah, you've bought where you are but you do it the right way. You're the best run club in the world which is irritating.

And it was 5m precisely because he had zero professional games to his name, but we also let them pay a little less because they agreed to a buyback clause. Guehi was a seasoned pro when we sold him compared to Livramento and this Lavia kid and he only went for about 6m more than Lavia. This kid must have been tearing it up at youth level for Southampton to spend that much on him.
He did, was voted Player of the Season in the U23 aged 17.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The only difference being Livramento only had a year left on his contract while Lavia had two.

Just doesn't make sense, I've not seen many youth players go for that much, he only had one appearance for Belgium u21.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
To make the connection you call for would not be principled, it would just be stupid.
How is asking for the equal treatment of all trade and investment between UK and any unsavoury regime, a strawman argument? Do you even understand what a strawman argument is?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He did, was voted Player of the Season in the U23 aged 17.
he's going to be class, I'm quite annoyed we've bought Phillips for £45m when this lad could well be better in 2 years time, hopefully we've a decent buyback clause.

justsomebloke

How is asking for the equal treatment of all trade and investment between UK and any unsavoury regime, a strawman argument? Do you even understand what a strawman argument is?
Because it's perfectly reasonable and logical to think the Premier League should, as a part of their approval procedures for prospective owners, apply a certain minimum standard for reputational risk and moral probity, without at the same time thinking that all trade and investment between the UK and unsavoury regimes should be banned. In fact, there is no reason whatsoever why thinking the former ought to imply also thinking the latter. Buying a football club is not like buying real estate, stocks or oil. This is why there are procedures for approving new owners.

Hence, the latter is a strawman - a position that no one has in fact put forward, but which you (falsely) claim should follow from the position that has been presented, and whose absurdity hence is invoked as an argument against the actual position. It's like arguing "sure, I 'll accept your support for the right to abortion if only you agree that we should then also allow the murder of any person who is inconvenient to you." You could also call that a false analogy I suppose, with a healthy smattering of what-aboutism. In any case, it is a really rotten argument that isn't going to convince anyone. If you want to defend City, you have better ones available.

Personally I think there are interesting and real issues involved in where the line should be drawn when it comes to ethical and reputational standards for ownership. Also that there aren't really too many simple answers to them. A somewhat related set of issues concerns the distinction between "fair money" and "unfair money", which is as nebulous as it is strongly felt among the fans. Get into that, and I think the moral arguments mostly fall apart pretty quickly. At most, you are left with issues of balance, competitiveness and the overall interests of the pyramid, which is a different set of issues.

Then there's the wider issue of why exactly City is still disliked/not liked by so many, which I think is about completely different things again, although feelings around spending impact heavily on it.

Last edited:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
without at the same time thinking that all trade and investment between the UK and unsavoury regimes should be banned.
Yes … this is called hypocrisy or perhaps two-facedness … when it suits you, a regime (generally brown skinned and with a system of governance different to yours) is an ally/investor but when it doesn’t suit you, they’re disgusting and should be a pariah.
City get hate on this forum because not only do they spend well ( youth infra, etc) but they can spend at least as much as you. This the reality.

I appreciate your effort in writing all that and I did read it but as the saying goes - “if you’re explaining, then you’re losing.”