Man Convicted in Scotland for Making a Joke

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Physiocrat, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

Yup, well said.
  2. Mar 21, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Plus even if you do have an issue with something, that doesn't mean it has to be addressed by the actual police.

For example, If Spurs or the FA decide to punish fans who chant horrible things, that's fine. If Facebook, Twitter, Youtube or Redcafe decide to ban people who post horrible things, that's also fine. There's scope to relegate horrible people to the margins without actually attacking their FOS by having the state punish them.
  3. Mar 21, 2018

Oo0AahCantona Full Member

This is absolute madness.
  4. Mar 21, 2018

Hitchez New Member

I don't think intent is very relevant in such cases. You may not like it and I certainly don't find the joke funny but the the whole point of freedom of speech is precisely that it allows us to say things people may not want to hear without fear of any repercussions. It's unfortunate that the byproduct of this is that it allows bigots and racists to air their views but that's how it is.

If you arrest the man in question for being offensive then then you're entering a slippery slope.
  5. Mar 21, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    One way of looking at this which makes the prosecution seem a little less wrong-headed is to take into consideration the context of the person making the "joke". As someone pointed out earlier on, Frankie Boyle can be incredibly offensive but his politics are such that we know his jokes are never made with any sort of an intent to direct hatred at minorities.

For a self-appointed "anti-SJW" like this Dankula eejit it's inevitably going to be more difficult to tread the line between comedy and inciting hatred. He can say "I'm not a racist" all he wants but his track record undermines his own defence and was almost certainly taken into account in this court case.

Basically, unless you're a complete prick you're unlikely to ever fall foul of this legislation. Which is reassuring.
  6. Mar 21, 2018

Fearless Mighty Mouse

Except Pro Palestinian Frankie Boyle (whose a shit, watered down Jerry Sadowitz tribute act anyway) got in trouble for this. Notice how he conflates nationality with a religion.

"I've been studying Israeli army martial arts. I now know 16 ways to kick a Palestinian woman in the back. People think that the Middle East is very complex but I have an analogy that sums it up quite well. If you imagine that Palestine is a big cake, well … that cake is being punched to pieces by a very angry Jew."
  7. Mar 21, 2018

JohnLocke Full Member

What's his track record? From what I've seen he doesn't come across as a racist and have seen him condemning the alt-right etc.

Being, or not being a prick, shouldn't dictate whether you break legislation either.
  8. Mar 21, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

What about the racist dog, what’s to happen to that mutt?
  9. Mar 21, 2018

I tried watching another one of his videos (only got a minute or two in - he's very annoying) and he described himself as an "anti-SJW" and did an attempted takedown of a video about LGBT campaigning. I'd say his politics are fairly obvious, whether or not he condemns the alt-right.

And I'm not saying that him being a prick matters, one way or another. But if you build an online persona around bringing minorities (or people who campaign on their behalf) down a peg or two, then you're always going to run the risk of falling foul of legislation like this.
  10. Mar 21, 2018

That's a fair point. As you know, anti-semitism is an issue at both extremes of the political spectrum. Which does undermine my theory.
  11. Mar 21, 2018

JohnLocke Full Member

I think his politics are obvious but from what I've seen I don't think I'd go as far as to call it racist.

The law is supposed to be the law regardless of what your political opinions are, so I don't think it should be taken into account that he is a self proclaimed "anti SJW". Also think he got a lot more followers / supporters since the he got arrested for the Nazi Pug video.

Don't know if what he's said after can be taken into account, although it might as you're not allowed to talk about certain aspects of your case in the media, honestly don't know actually!
  12. Mar 21, 2018

I don’t think that’s true. Especially when we’re dealing in grey areas like this. Context and intent is everything.
  13. Mar 21, 2018

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Yes and no. Personally I care a shit load more about the scores of people facing the very real prospect of long jail time for protesting, or other similar free expression issues, than a man realisiticay facing no jail time at all for making a pug salute a ridiculous phrase. The very fact that the latter is the one we as a society are rallying round as a free speech issue is frankly rather depressing, particularly as people like this will no undoubtedly use it to test out all manner of horrible racist shite, full in the knowledge they can rely on achieving minor celebrity hero status and the vocal support of Ricky fecking Gervais. Whopty do for 2018, folks.

But yes, I have to support him, and his right to be a pillock. And if he’s actually sentenced (he won’t be) then perhaps I’ll gain a tad more symphathy too. But no, I don’t have to care any specific amount about an attention seeker who is now joyously revelling in the attention he’s so successfully attained. He’s won my support on a technicality. I care just about enough. No more, no less.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  14. Mar 21, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Got his own column in the Express.
  15. Mar 21, 2018

JohnLocke Full Member

That sounds reasonable, but I thought that the law was the law and that's that. I understand there are mitigating factors as well but don't know if someone's opinion would be classed as such. Intent acted upon and opinion held aren't the same.

Does that mean that someone who isn't racist can make a racist joke but someone who is genuinely a racist can't? What about if you used to be a racist (etc) but have since changed your opinion?

Not necessarily directed at you, but just for talks sake.
  16. Mar 21, 2018

berbatrick Full Member Scout

I'm on the fence with this one, so this is going to be a quite pointless post.

Context is clearly important, the same sentence can mean very different things as a joke or a command. I know I have laughed at edgy humour a lot, and stripped of context the stuff is indefensible.

But what is the context here? This is a guy who is quite right-wing, but claims to be not alt-right, making a holocaust joke as irony. 4chan's /pol/ was supposed to be irony Holocaust jokes too at the start, before it became an explicitly alt-right stronghold. So how far does irony go as a shield?

There's also the problem of applying the law, which is supposed to be consistent and somewhat scientific, to human interactions which are never going to be exactly the same. Common sense is essential in this.

Finally, I do think it's important to have hate speech laws. From what I've seen in India, they're horribly misused and should be made much narrower, but can be used to keep pricks like Zakir Naik out.
  17. Mar 22, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

To be fair, if you looked after someone's dog for a while and they came back to the dog being trained as a Nazi, it'd be kinda funny.

I've no idea if this guy is a top cnut, but he probably shouldn't be arrested.
  18. Mar 23, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
  19. Mar 23, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
  20. Mar 23, 2018

Raulduke Full Member

21. Mar 23, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You can joke about anything, and this whole thing is a fecking farce.
  22. Mar 23, 2018

AkaAkuma Full Member

I don't understand why YouTube isn't able to filter out this kind of stuff - the tech is there, they just don't have the will to do it.
  23. Mar 24, 2018

24. Mar 24, 2018

RexHamilton Gumshoe for hire

He's awaiting trial in Nurembeagle.

I'll get my own coat.
  25. Mar 24, 2018

Drainy Full Member

They are trying to tread the line between being advertiser friendly and not pissing off the people who actually make the videos. They have a vocal community who are pro-free speech - so to ban joke videos would cause a backlash at the current time.

It is definitely coming at some point though, it's just 'boiling frog' technique - currently it's at the 'demonetise stage' which isn't working because of Patreon and Superchats on streams etc. The next move will likely be moving to shadow bans of videos (where it will not show on searches for most users) and then outright banning.
  26. Mar 25, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé

Police does what it does best...

27. Mar 25, 2018

Hitchez New Member

You should not be arrested or prosecuted for your beliefs or views no matter how matter how bigoted they might be. It's only when you act on these stupid beliefs that you should be in hot water. There must be millions of homophobes on the planet. You can't seriously arrest them all for hate crime. The right have taken over free speech.
  28. Mar 25, 2018

Fluctuation0161 Full Member

:lol:
  29. Mar 25, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

It’s not the joker they should punish, fellow presbyters, as we seek to eradicate mirth from the highlands and lowlands. Go after the feckers who laughed.
  30. Mar 25, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Can’t believe some people are saying it’s ok because he’ll only get a fine and not prison. Totalitarian loving dipshits
  31. Mar 25, 2018

711 Full Member Scout

32. Mar 25, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even ignoring how wrong it is to punish someone for making an offensive joke, it's also clearly ineffective. Not only have many more people been exposed to the joke because of the publicity, the joke gets framed as being on the morally correct side of a FOS debate.
  33. Mar 25, 2018

Minchin’s last statement is correct tbf.

There’s an ideological issue on the left between the liberal desire to protect free speech and the liberal desire to protect minorities that sometimes gets muddled. It may be well intentioned, but it allows the Right to steal a march, and idiots like this, Robinson, Hopkins etc to paint them as the baddies, with cause.

That said, I really don’t like Pie as much as most people seem to. He usually just takes the most obvious Centrist position and shouts about it. I’m pretty sure I remember him actually being on the fence about Brexit before the fact, only to become all righteous and shouty about it after the fact. Which undermines the whole opinionated polemicist angle, for me. Also the “angry reporter” conceit is annoying now, and not remotely funny (is it even supposed to be funny? He does seem to be called a comedian for some reason. But it’s a really broad definition if he is.)

Oh, also alsoI tell you where else you’d get sentenced for making a pug do a Nazi salute!? Nazi Germany!!” Well, yeah. And modern day Germany.

Doesn’t make it right, but it makes his bit a little less cutting.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  34. Mar 25, 2018

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

I also often feel like for someone who likes to regard himself as a bit of a liberal leftist he's got that Orwellian habit of basically constantly criticising the liberal left in just about everything he does. Which isn't necessarily an awful thing because there is a need in any political sect for self-reflection, but it does begin to feel like he's basically taking easy, ranting pot-shots at his own side a lot of the time.

Although his points in the video above are fairly pertinent for the most part. And I do worry that the right claiming freedom of speech as their own is a bit of a concerning trend. Most liberals/leftists I know are generally against this conviction, and while none of them are going to be out marching alongside Robinson or Hopkins next week, I do worry a lot of people who identify with liberals will become increasingly disillusioned with certain authoritarian tendencies. Albeit while acknowledging that (as you say) a lot of those tendencies come from a fairly noble place.
  35. Mar 25, 2018

I don’t think he is particularly leftist. I know that’s the framing, but he works for fecking Russia Today and is written by a Spiked writer. He’s liberal in a New Labour middle brow way, but somehow framed as righteously anti-establishment. It’s angry Dad content. Or as Vice put it, “for people who feel they’re being lied to by the news, but being told the truth by the TV channel Dave.”

Like I said, his pre-Brexit videos were entirely non-commital, yet still somehow framed as edgy and opinionated. Then when he did form an opinion, he managed to blame the left. He’s just a shill for shareable content. That very Ricky Gervais brand of not actually all that offensive offensiveness in the form of a CE forum rant. (like this!)

Also, is it supposed to be funny? I mean, I kinda think it is, isn’t it? But, I mean, it isn’t, is it?

That is admittedly a concern I share.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  36. Mar 25, 2018

It's...okay. If anything he's just got a good talent for ranting continuously without really stopping at all. The delivery, if anything, is probably what people enjoy. But as you say most of the stuff he's saying is either obvious or lacking in any real complexity. Although it probably does point to a lack of genuine voices for this sort of thing when an angry fictional media personality seems to gain so much traction every time he puts out content.
  37. Mar 25, 2018

Camilo Full Member

I think this is fecking disgusting. It's hateful. feck off.

Not so long ago people would be up in arms about this. Right now I'm disgusted that the most I or anyone else will do is write a post on the internet and be quietly angry. I'm genuinely fascinated to see how far our ruling classes (because that's what we've let them become) can push things before anyone lifts a finger. Social media - probably the end of the free world eventually.
  38. Mar 26, 2018

Nucks Cuckoo

I believe he even said he had family members who died in the holocaust. I mean. I cringed at the gas the jews stuff, but the dogs reaction was legitimately funny.
  39. Mar 27, 2018

Jonathan Pie saying they're immediately siding with the complainant here, but a number of the comments underneath point out that's really not the case and that the police are saying they're just looking into it, since they're hardly going to tell the complainant to feck off. If he does actually find himself in legal trouble then fair enough, but otherwise this seems a bit silly, closer to needless baiting than any wider point.
  40. Mar 27, 2018

“The response is prejudicial”. Feck off. Few things in life more annoying than blow-hards using legalese in an attempt to appear more knowledgeable.