Man United want Alexis Sanchez back from Inter loan - says random report in January

lex talionis

Assuming there's no chance of offloading Sanchez, would he really be any worse than Lingard? Probably not. He can be used as a squad man coming on in the second half against weaker clubs. But it's wages, of course, that's the problem and having him on the squad could cause unrest within the squad.

Thank you, Jose.

Did Ole do the same with Lukaku in the summer? I'm genuinely curious
clearly didn’t want him as our first team striker. Could have gone to town on his appalling attitude and fitness but didn’t - and I’m certain that assisted us in getting the price we got for him. So very similar tactics.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
clearly didn’t want him as our first team striker. Could have gone to town on his appalling attitude and fitness but didn’t - and I’m certain that assisted us in getting the price we got for him. So very similar tactics.
So he didn't praise him, but chose to praise Sanchez in his attitude to training. Why do you think that is? As you said above he could have kept quiet and applied the same tactic.

So he didn't praise him, but chose to praise Sanchez in his attitude to training. Why do you think that is? As you said above he could have kept quiet and applied the same tactic.
you've misunderstood my post. Whilst the tactics are not EXACTLY the same. It’s clear OGS didn’t want either Lukuku or Sanchez and didn’t give the press an honest appraisal of either to boost our chances of getting rid of them both.

RedTiger

Half mast
It's not as if Mkhitaryan was a roaring success at arsenal. He was shite they'll be lucky if roma give them 5 million for him. So really Sanchez cost us feck all. I never fancied Mkhitaryan anyway it was a football manager type transfer, he was never strong enough for the Premier league. Sanchez is a mess he is the top celebrity in Chile and he doesn't give a feck.
At least mkhi contributed to our Europa league win, I might be wrong but I don't think any of Sanchez's goals for us were match winners.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
you've misunderstood my post. Whilst the tactics are not EXACTLY the same. It’s clear OGS didn’t want either Lukuku or Sanchez and didn’t give the press an honest appraisal of either to boost our chances of getting rid of them both.
I think it's clear he didn't want either, but it's doesn't imply that any positive words he said about Sanchez by way of training or application is suddenly nullified because of it.

Sanchez was and is a problem due to his wages. No one would really complain if he was with us and earning average United wage and continued to at least give his all. You're basically saying "he wasn't wanted so Ole didn't really think he had a good attitude like he said he did".

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sanchez was a classic example of the propensity for modern football fans and pundits to trot out lazy, cliched excuses to defend players when it's obvious they are declining. For example, it was claimed that;

- Sanchez was being played out of position
- Sanchez had been carrying injuries
- Sanchez 'hadn't had a rest'
- Sanchez was 'not motivated' to play for Arsenal
- Sanchez was being 'mismanaged' by Wenger

One or two of those 'excuses' might be valid when relating to a small number of games but when a player turns in sub-par performances for half a season or more, it's probably time to consider that those performances ARE now their new par level

For further example, see post-SAF Wayne Rooney and now currently the excuses being trotted out for DDG who is steadily declining year-on-year
I don't think it's that strange to have looked at mitigating factors during that time. As you say yourself, sub-par for half a season, that half a season following heavy speculation he'd join City. At a time when Arsenal was rapidly becoming less and less competitive. And the deal, as far as a swap goes, appeared to almost everyone to be a great deal for us. I don't remember any poster here saying we should not sign him at the time, due to his decline. The main problem was obviously the length of contract, considering his age, and the outlandish wage we gave him. It was those two factors that probably made it the worst deal in our history.

I do think plenty of us though were amazed about the Rooney deal at the time. The decline had already begun and plenty of fans could identify that, though pundits were in his pocket for a long long long while.

Relfy

We just need to cut our losses with him. He is never going to be the player we thought we had brought in, he is not going to be a starter for us, and him sitting on the bench or not making the matchday squad and raking in 350k pw is only going to unrest the dressing room.

Whether we loan him out and pay a % of his wages or pay him off completely it will be worthwhile.

I think it's clear he didn't want either, but it's doesn't imply that any positive words he said about Sanchez by way of training or application is suddenly nullified because of it.

Sanchez was and is a problem due to his wages. No one would really complain if he was with us and earning average United wage and continued to at least give his all. You're basically saying "he wasn't wanted so Ole didn't really think he had a good attitude like he said he did".
no I’m not at all.

to be clear I’m saying this:

both Lukuku and Sanchez were not and are not wanted by Utd.

OGS was positive about both of them last year, and continues to be so about Sanchez (as he’s a ManUtd player) - the reason being is to try and paint a good picture so that we can try and sell and get the best possible deal for the player.

we would still complain about Sanchez if he was on half or a quarter of the pay he’s on because he’s now an appalling player who has shown over the past 3 years at Arsenal, Utd and Inter that he’s no longer anywhere near capable at operating at the top level. Whether he’s got a good attitude in training is irrelevant as he’s no longer capable of being a top fight player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
no I’m not at all.

OGS was positive about both of them last year, and continues to be so about Sanchez (as he’s a ManUtd player) - the reason being is to try and paint a good picture so that we can try and sell and get the best possible deal for the player.

we would still complain about Sanchez if he was on half or a quarter of the pay he’s on because he’s now an appalling player who has shown over the past 3 years at Arsenal, Utd and Inter that he’s no longer anywhere near capable at operating at the top level. Whether he’s got a good attitude in training is irrelevant as he’s no longer capable of being a top fight player.
no I’m not at all.

That's over the top - if Sanchez was on a quarter of his wages he'd be on £125k a week and if fully fit he would provide output akin to a £125k player in modern times. His major problem has been fitness, and I caveated a fit Sanchez with maintained training application would be of use - the problem is his wages.

You're basically negating anything Ole says even if genuine because Sanchez is on shit loads of wages. He was disinterested at the end with Arsenal but still providing an output that was better than a £125k a week.He was shit for us, and unfit for much of Ole's reign and after a decent start in Inter and a good Copa America he got injured again.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If this somehow eradicates all covid 19 in the world, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

But since that is not the case, nope. Loan him to Roma now!!! hit them when They're in a weakened state (post Smalling success)

Maticmaker

Surely if these reports have any truth to them its all about putting Sanchez in the shop window in order to convince people he still knows how to kick a ball and how to find his backside with both hands.

Or, to make him an offer he can't (shouldn't) refuse? Suppose it depends on how long is left on his contract.

That's over the top - if Sanchez was on a quarter of his wages he'd be on £125k a week and if fully fit he would provide output akin to a £125k player in modern times. His major problem has been fitness, and I caveated a fit Sanchez with maintained training application would be of use - the problem is his wages.

You're basically negating anything Ole says even if genuine because Sanchez is on shit loads of wages. He was disinterested at the end with Arsenal but still providing an output that was better than a £125k a week.He was shit for us, and unfit for much of Ole's reign and after a decent start in Inter and a good Copa America he got injured again.
his output is not worth us paying anywhere near £6.5m a year (that’s what £125k per week is). His last 6 months at Arsenal was poor, his 18 months at Utd was poor and this season at Inter, guess what he’s been crap.

no one at Utd wants him, that’s 100% obvious.

you do realise that managers don’t just tell the truth to reporters when asked a question every single time, don’t you?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
his output is not worth us paying anywhere near £6.5m a year (that’s what £125k per week is). His last 6 months at Arsenal was poor, his 18 months at Utd was poor and this season at Inter, guess what he’s been crap.

no one at Utd wants him, that’s 100% obvious.

you do realise that managers don’t just tell the truth to reporters when asked a question every single time, don’t you?
No one wants him because he can't stay fit. You can't be serious of you're suggesting no club would take Sanchez on 125k a week if he were able to stay fit.

Besides we digress. The root of my point was that he wasn't known to be a difficult or disruptive figure in the dressing room and Ole praised him when he could have stayed more neutral (like Lukaku). If nothing else that suggests Sanchez likely isn't a disruptive figure.

No one wants him because he can't stay fit. You can't be serious of you're suggesting no club would take Sanchez on 125k a week if he were able to stay fit.
such a moot point though. He can’t stay fit, what on earth makes you think he will ever get fit again and be able to play 40-50 games per year. The game is littered with players that would be good, if only they were fit, and Utd have had their fair share: Blomquest, Hargreaves, Owen, Saha etc etc.

however, even when on the pitch it’s clear Sanchez is a shadow of the player he was. He’s been done for 3 years. Would any sane club pay £6.5m a year for him. No. We may be able to get rid of him if a club goes off of his reputation, but based on the last 3 years of his career, no one is touching him with a barge pole.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Hide him and pretend it never happened. He's like a bad smell at this time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
such a moot point though. He can’t stay fit, what on earth makes you think he will ever get fit again and be able to play 40-50 games per year. The game is littered with players that would be good, if only they were fit, and Utd have had their fair share: Blomquest, Hargreaves, Owen, Saha etc etc.

however, even when on the pitch it’s clear Sanchez is a shadow of the player he was. He’s been done for 3 years. Would any sane club pay £6.5m a year for him. No. We may be able to get rid of him if a club goes off of his reputation, but based on the last 3 years of his career, no one is touching him with a barge pole.
Why do you keep saying £6.5m per year for him? We extended Jones' contract FFS, it's not beyond the realms of possibilities to think a club would take Sanchez on a quarter of his wages, provided he stayed fit.

Also when you say on the pitch hes a "shadow" - he's actually shown glimpses of returning to great form at times when he was with Inter just pre Copa America, ended up having a very good tournament before getting injured again. The problem is his wages and fitness - not his attitude or application. Lukaku was a problem of application and attitude, which is why I can understand Ole keeping neutral about him.

If a player himself had an attitude problem, managers would just be silent about them, they wouldn't unnecessarily praise them. That never happens.

Why do you keep saying £6.5m per year for him? We extended Jones' contract FFS, it's not beyond the realms of possibilities to think a club would take Sanchez on a quarter of his wages, provided he stayed fit.

Also when you say on the pitch hes a "shadow" - he's actually shown glimpses of returning to great form at times when he was with Inter just pre Copa America, ended up having a very good tournament before getting injured again. The problem is his wages and fitness - not his attitude or application. Lukaku was a problem of application and attitude, which is why I can understand Ole keeping neutral about him.

If a player himself had an attitude problem, managers would just be silent about them, they wouldn't unnecessarily praise them. That never happens.
Why do you keep thinking the guy is of any use. I’d rather have Rooney in the team than Sanchez. I’ve mentioned £6.5m a year because you said he’d be useful on a quarter of his wage - he wouldn’t be. The fact that he gets upwards of £25m a year is astonishing.

OGS has, whilst not bugging him up hasnt been negative, and the only reason is to try and hasten his sale. If the best thing we can say about Sanchez is “he tries his best in training” it shows how crap he is. He's a professional footballer, 99% of them try hard in training - it’s nothing to shout about.

Lets not talk about Lukuku and Sanchez in the same post, it seems to have confused you.

My take is this. Sanchez is a complete busted flush who can’t play at the top level anymore, whether he’s fit or not. Everyone at Utd know this. OGS been mildly positive and said he’s a good boy for getting a bit of a sweat on when training - simply to try and encourage any team to take a punt on him and take him off of us.

If he was a racehorse he would already be at the glue factory.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If anyone should be donating a large chunk of their wages over to the NHS, just as a matter of self-respect, it’s this motherfecker.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why do you keep thinking the guy is of any use. I’d rather have Rooney in the team than Sanchez. I’ve mentioned £6.5m a year because you said he’d be useful on a quarter of his wage - he wouldn’t be. The fact that he gets upwards of £25m a year is astonishing.
You trying to say 6.5m rather than £125k a week just because it sounds more devastating isn't really working.
OGS has, whilst not bugging him up hasnt been negative, and the only reason is to try and hasten his sale. If the best thing we can say about Sanchez is “he tries his best in training” it shows how crap he is. He's a professional footballer, 99% of them try hard in training - it’s nothing to shout about.
He's hasn't really featured under Ole and then Inter took him on loan, where he did decent, had a very good copa america and then got injured. It's one thing being shit and its another being injured - I think you need to learn the difference between the two because you're a bit lost what happened to Sanchez post the loan deal.
Lets not talk about Lukuku and Sanchez in the same post, it seems to have confused you.
Don't patronise. You're acting like Ole has to praise players he wants to sell, or he can't sell. And then when I provided the Lukaku example you've backtracked with "oh it's not always the same".
Ole could have kept silent and not bothered praising Sanchez' attitude and application, but he didn't. That means at the very least, that Sanchez wasn't likely a problem player by way of mindset or application. That was literally just the root of my point and you've come out with all this racehorse nonsense.

You trying to say 6.5m rather than £125k a week just because it sounds more devastating isn't really working.

He's hasn't really featured under Ole and then Inter took him on loan, where he did decent, had a very good copa america and then got injured. It's one thing being shit and its another being injured - I think you need to learn the difference between the two because you're a bit lost what happened to Sanchez post the loan deal.

Don't patronise. You're acting like Ole has to praise players he wants to sell, or he can't sell. And then when I provided the Lukaku example you've backtracked with "oh it's not always the same".
Ole could have kept silent and not bothered praising Sanchez' attitude and application, but he didn't. That means at the very least, that Sanchez wasn't likely a problem player by way of mindset or application. That was literally just the root of my point and you've come out with all this racehorse nonsense.
such a poor post. Can’t criticise the poster, but sure can criticise the post.

You won’t find anyone who thinks Sanchez is still worthy of being at a top club.

He’s done, and has been crap for 3 years for 3 clubs, whether fit or not. The Copa America is not a good barometer, playing for Arsenal, Utd and Inter is and we have more than enough evidence to show he’s past it. Let’s end it there. I won’t reply to any other post you make on Sanchez, so I just wouldn't bother. Good day.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Speaking as an Inter fan, he has actually been good for us when he has played. He hasn't scored many goals, but he hadn't started many games either, and did contribute in other ways (assist in the derby, won penalty the week before that versus Udinese). The issue is his contract. Also there are rumours Inter would be getting Mertens on a free transfer as his contract expires in 2 months, which would mean no need for Sanchez.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think that Sanchez is playing shit on purpose. I have been following him since his udinese times and he's not that kind of player. I believe that his once high intensity style of football has cut his career short.

It's not his fault that a poorly run club with no football people at board level to keep the manager in check threw millions at him at a time he was already in decline

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's not as if Mkhitaryan was a roaring success at arsenal. He was shite they'll be lucky if roma give them 5 million for him. So really Sanchez cost us feck all. I never fancied Mkhitaryan anyway it was a football manager type transfer, he was never strong enough for the Premier league. Sanchez is a mess he is the top celebrity in Chile and he doesn't give a feck.
Do you know we are paying him around 20m per season in salary? That’s total around 90m worth of investment in 4.5 years contract. He has scored 5 goals for us so far in past 2+ years. 45m already down the drain, halfway to go.

devilish

We won't get rid of Sanchez. That salary is far too big for anyone to afford and let's face it, he's not worth it. We might be able to loan him. However we'll be paying most of his salary. Considering that, I'd rather keep at United then send him on loan to get rid of some 10% of his salary.

Web of Bissaka

Low chance any clubs willing to buy him with high wages contract offer. Wage cut? likely not.

Contract ends 2022, ridiculously long. We're still paying his bs high wages anyway.

So might as well use him.
Similar to Lukaku, they are quality player (Lukaku did last season, also previously-rubbish-performer Matic also get back his form, Alexis will still contribute goals/assists). His reputation is also on a downward spiral, so I believe he'll be motivated to raise it back.

Problems?
  • Ole doesn't seem to fancy him.
  • May create quick unrest to the dressing room, affecting morale, in terms of wages.
  • Possibility that he is a confidence type of player (similar to Fred) so need backings and trusts by giving him games from manager.
Solutions?
  • Sanchez to won them and fans over with his performances, using the little games he may be able to get from manager.

Web of Bissaka

At least mkhi contributed to our Europa league win, I might be wrong but I don't think any of Sanchez's goals for us were match winners.
Yeah, I don't think any of his poor 5 goals were either, but some are crucial goal starter/equalizers(?).

So unfortunately, we shouldn't look only at his goals but more so his assists and certain performances if we're talking about contributions. Main highlights.
  • His crucial assists 2x comeback 3-2 win vs MCity
  • Scored in our win against Arsenal (FA Cup)
  • Scored and helped win against Spurs (FA Cup Wembley semi)
  • Good performance helped beat Chelsea in hybrid AM+RM role
TLDR/
Similar to Mkhi, Sanchez contributed in one season (half a season technically) in FA Cup run to final, but another difference is we didn't win it. Also, both contributed in EPL wins and draws even vs top teams, but similarly too inconsistent.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We won't get rid of Sanchez. That salary is far too big for anyone to afford and let's face it, he's not worth it. We might be able to loan him. However we'll be paying most of his salary. Considering that, I'd rather keep at United then send him on loan to get rid of some 10% of his salary.
It’s widely reported that Sanchez is a disruptive influence in the changing room, so I don’t see the sense in keeping him around. Even if it’s a heavily subsidised loan, I think we need to keep him away from the club. One of our worst signings of all time.

devilish

It’s widely reported that Sanchez is a disruptive influence in the changing room, so I don’t see the sense in keeping him around. Even if it’s a heavily subsidised loan, I think we need to keep him away from the club. One of our worst signings of all time.
As said, I had been following the guy since his Udinese times and I find that hard to believe unless of course unintentionally (ie its hard for people to accept that their less productive colleague is earning 10 times the salary they do). If that's the case then maybe we can agree a settlement with him were we pay a big chunk of his contract and he leaves as a free agent.

Luke1995

Ashley Young was allowed to stay at this club for Nine years and only went away because he wanted to.

Of course Sanchez will return and be allowed to see out his contract

wolvored

Ashley Young was allowed to stay at this club for Nine years and only went away because he wanted to.

Young was still being picked though. He was also captain until he left. I dont think Sanchez will play that much. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt go out on loan again next seasonand we only pay half his wages again, no matter what is said now.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't think that Sanchez is playing shit on purpose. I have been following him since his udinese times and he's not that kind of player. I believe that his once high intensity style of football has cut his career short.

It's not his fault that a poorly run club with no football people at board level to keep the manager in check threw millions at him at a time he was already in decline
He was top scorer in the Premier League when he was bought. No one could have reasonably seen this calamity coming

Teja

He was top scorer in the Premier League when he was bought. No one could have reasonably seen this calamity coming
He deteriorated quite rapidly in the second half on that season if I remember correctly (when he was playing for Arsenal). Anyway, at the time it was obviously worth a punt - could've been our new RvP, but it didn't work out.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

There's absolutely nothing we can do about that. If he wants to stay he'll stay.

Perhaps he could be a back up CF. His link up play isn't terrible, so having Fernandes behind him, with Rashford and Sancho either side might work.