Man Utd Captain | 18/19 Onwards...

van Nistelrooy

With a World Cup and another busy summer of transfer activity on the horizon, there is still an important decision to be made: Who is the captain of Manchester United?

Technically, Michael Carrick was our captain before his retirement, but due to fitness, Antonio Valencia took responsibility of the armband for the majority of the season. Due to the arrival of new right-back Diogo Dalot and Valencia turning 33yo by the start of the season, it must put his position as captain under scrutiny?

Personally, I've been a skeptic of Valencia as our first choice right-back and now captain for a long time. The guy can barely speak English after well over a decade in the country! For me, a captain needs to be an ever present name in the starting line-up and motivate the rest of the team on the pitch.

I'd be the first to admit that we lack players with leadership qualities, but the only player I see as having a genuine candidacy for the armband is: David de Gea. Should play all league and European games, be on the pitch for the whole 90 minutes and has been our most important player for many years.

Therefore, who do you believe should be our captain?

el3mel

Matic or De Gea. Gonna be Valencia again though as he's going to play a lot.

podurban2

I’m fine with Valencia being first choice, he’s a beast and the most experienced player in the dressing room. De Gea should be second though, groom him into that role

El Zoido

Matic. Not a fan of goalkeepers as captains, I think a captain should be ever present in all areas of the pitch when needed (such as defusing situations, talking to the referee). I know a lot of people consider the captain’s role in the modern game as just token, but I still think it’s more than that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’ll be Valencia. I don’t think he wants the captaincy to be any sort of stigma. The most senior player assumes the role and it’s no big deal. We have senior players who will do a lot of talking with or without the captaincy.

POF

This time last year it was nailed on to be Pogba. Carrick and Valencia were given the role while Pogba was being groomed but there's no way that's happening now.

De Gea is the obvious choice but I can only remember him captaining United once last season. There is no outstanding candidate so I think it will be Valencia with the likes of Young, Smalling, Jones, etc filling in when required.

Dolf

While I would say DDG, i'm not a big fan of a goalie being your captain because he can't really give orders from that position. I would say Matic or Valencia. Both have a ton of experience and i'm sure the respect of the team.

Solo Toure

While I would say DDG, i'm not a big fan of a goalie being your captain because he can't really give orders from that position. I would say Matic or Valencia. Both have a ton of experience and i'm sure the respect of the team.
I get that a captain needs to be an outfield player to communicate with the rest of the team plus the ref, however a team can have several captains on the field but a club captain should be the most respected and deserving player.

Tony V
DDG
Matic
Pogba (to a lesser extent)

Can7onA

I'd give it Lukaku, he's the only one with any passion at the minute.

0le

I'd personally give it to Pogba. He's our best player and needs the confidence of knowing the club and manager are behind him and trust him 100% - I think the responsibility could be the (re)making of him.
Our best player is David De Gea and by some margin. It isn't even close. If a player needs the confidence of the club then I'm not convinced said player is captain material.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'd personally give it to Pogba. He's our best player and needs the confidence of knowing the club and manager are behind him and trust him 100% - I think the responsibility could be the (re)making of him.
Im scared with Pogba - he either becomes Uber efficient & a team player in everything he does including lifting the team with his voice & tempo of the way he plays football or...
He becomes more confident than he already is in himself.

Reiver

We definitely seem to lack leaders on the pitch, at least in a sense that's obvious as a spectator.
DDG is by far and away our best player and our most consistent. I'm not a fan of giving it to a keeper though.
Matic is another consistent performer.
I never thought I'd be saying this but Ashley Young has been consistent and he's passionate.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Matic makes the most sense. I’d much rather him over Valencia or DDG. Though if Herrera had been able to see his 16/17 season form through to the next it would easily have been him.

Lukaku not a bad left of field shout, and Pogba may benefit from the added team responsibility. If we get Alderweirald, he could be a late contender too.

Irrational.

Gotta be DDG for me. Our most consistent and best performer, and would lead by example. Not that being captain thesedays means much.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I always felt like Darmian was a diamond in the rough when it came to natural leadership qualities. Trust Jose to sell him rather than make him captain though, the cnut :rolleyes:

Can7onA

Keepers are normally terrible captains.

De Gea isn't vocal enough to be captain.

spwd

A person who can barely speak English should never be captain imo, it just doesn’t make any sense at all, id give it matic for now, then see if pogba grows into captain material.

Chairman Woodie

I have no issue with Valencia as captain. Otherwise my choice would be David De Gea because of his consistency. I don't think the lack of English is a barrier, as United have a strong Spanish speaking contingency.

Web of Bissaka

The only one I accept at this point is Captain De Gea, lead by consistent high standard performances.

Matic vice captain.

Tony V is becoming too inconsistent. For now, I couldn't trust Pogba, but we'll see later on.

Captain doesn't have to be vocal. One of its main priority is to give top inspiring performance thus leading everyone from it.

RikRuud

Matic for me. Might up his game to another level with this kind of responsibility. Has the respect of the squad, plays virtually every game and always keeps a cool head under pressure.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Keepers are normally terrible captains.

De Gea isn't vocal enough to be captain.
A captain is someone anyone on the team can look up to.

If there’s one person capable of looking up to at our club, it’s Dave. No questions asked.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
The only one I accept at this point is Captain De Gea, lead by consistent high standard performances.

Matic vice captain.

Tony V is becoming too inconsistent. For now, I couldn't trust Pogba, but we'll see later on.

Captain doesn't have to be vocal. One of its main priority is to give top inspiring performance thus leading everyone from it.
I agree with this.

Although I feel captain will end up being Valencia again just cuz of whatever l. I have De Gea and Matic. And agree, Pogba not deserving/ready for it.

mohr

If it was asked last year i would definitely say Hererra, but it seems he won't feature as many games as a captain should

spwd

Matic for me. Might up his game to another level with this kind of responsibility. Has the respect of the squad, plays virtually every game and always keeps a cool head under pressure.
Yeah, completely agree, he seems to be the obvious choice for me.

AgentP

De Gea looks like a straight forward choice. Been here the longest after Valencia. Always in the team and the best player we have.

AgentP

I agree with all this but Matic came here just last year. Making him captain over long serving members of the team doesn't seem fair. Maybe De Gea as captain and Matic as vice-captain would be better.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I quite like the committee approach to captaincy — a tad bit like what Bayern are doing, or have done, over the years:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uefa-champions-league/mannschaftskapitaene/pokalwettbewerb/CL

Especially at a club like United, where we currently don't have an exceptionally inspirational figure who ticks all the boxes — like Keane did in the past.

Cpt. De Gea: Best and most consistent player, and has been at United for 7 seasons
V-C. Valencia: Longest tenured first team player at the club, and an outstanding professional
2-C. Lingard: Local kid and academy product: has a good rapport with the younger lot, and United runs through his veins
3-C. Matić: Seasoned and apparently authoritative, and seems very devoted to the manager