Man Utd Captain | 18/19 Onwards...

Ideally yes, the "manager on the pitch" who reminds everyone what they're meant to be doing and gees them up if it looks like their heads are going down. Ideally we'd have a number of these, with one of them designated captain. I can't see Valencia being that guy.
I don’t think the game is like that anymore unfortunately. I’m not sure the likes of Keane, Robson, Vidic exist in the game anymore.

I think Valencia is so unsuitable for many reasons.

Fluctuation0161

I always felt like Darmian was a diamond in the rough when it came to natural leadership qualities. Trust Jose to sell him rather than make him captain though, the cnut :rolleyes:
Darmian is a donkey...

Agree with DDG being our best player. But would like to see an outfield player get it. Valencia and Matic are the only standout candidates. Shows our lack of leaders.

Red Royal

Has to be a midfielder for me.... I would give it to Pogba to see if that gives him th3 extra level of maturity to go with his undoubted talent.

Aloysius's Back 3

Please not Valencia - I like him but apart from his body & his physique - nothing is captaincy material.

I'd give it to smalling with his squeeky cute voice until someone natural steps up.

LoCalXT

De Gea
Matic
Valencia
Pogba

Valencia can't speak English ...

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
1. De Gea
2. Matic
3. Smalling
4. Jones
5. Bailly
6. Herrera
7. Young
8. Pogba (not an option I like at this stage as despite being outrageously talented he lacks maturity even at 25 years old)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pogba

The extra responsibility might actually make him retire from the school playground.

hobbers

De Gea. Matic vc.

Don't particularly want Valencia on the pitch much less wearing the armband.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Think it’ll be Valencia, but could easily be Pogba or De Gea.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's a shame Ander Herrera won't get a regular run of games all season. He leads by example and is constantly talking on the pitch which is what the Captain should be about.

DDG is a fantastic player but not what we need for a captain. We have made too many mistakes in the past awarding it to players to fend off potential suitors (Rooney etc). The game has undoubtedly moved on from the likes of Roy Keane but this squad really does lack some leadership at the moment. Look at the 2008 Champions league final team. One arm band could be put easily on VDS, Evra, Vidic, Rio, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney and possibly Scholes. 7 or 8 players who were all leaders in their own right, nine if you include Giggs. We just don't have that depth of leadership in the current squad.

Genuinely don't think we have a lot of options. They all come out and say the same orchestrated crap after a bad performance or loss, that's not leadership it's just PR

Smores

Can't believe people are saying Pogba, the captain is supposed to be an experienced mature figure to focus minds. He might be the star but he's not a captain.

Matic ideally with De Gea vice captain. Pogba, Lukaku etc can earn it over time

davidmichael

We’re a team devoid of any genuine leaders which considering we once had Schmeichel, Pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Keane, Ince, Robson, Hughes and Cantona in one squad and Van Der Sar, Neville, Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Giggs, Hargreaves and Tevez in another is worrying.

This has been a problem for years and how Rooney became so powerful as he was the best of a very poor group of leaders, you’d have to go back to Vidic as our last good captain and probably Gary Neville as our last genuine leader of the squad as captain and it’s been about a decade since that.

From what we’ve got I’d say Phil Jones IF we could keep him fit which is a very very big if, he’s still prone to mental lapses but as an actual leader he’s probably the best we’ve got. Valencia shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter, De Gea is in goal, Pogba isn’t mature enough, Lukaku has enough to do with just scoring our goals, Matic only just signed, Smalling is Smalling, Bailly isn’t a realistic option in my mind and Herrera is down in the pecking order after the signing of Fred.

Robbo*

Tony takes so little responsibility on the ball that I can't take him seriously as a player, let alone captain.

Jonno

Smalling must feel he's edging closer. He's gaining the trust of Mourinho and plays a lot these days, he also seems to be making less and less erratic moments. He's been here a long time, through 4 managers and he is a very vocal CB.

I reckon it will stay with Tony V, and either Smalling, DDG or Matic will take the vice.

mswiss

Lukaku's probably our most vocal leader I've seen recently. Or Ander but he hasn't been playing as much.

maniwin

Lukaku , consistent player, with passion and leadership

Member 113277

The process is usually to identify the leaders likely to play, then choose the strongest as captain. Often the captain is self selecting, by their behaviour.

In struggling to identify a clear leader, it suggests we do not have a captaincy problem, so much as a leadership challenge - this is a matter of temperament and being a skilled player does not naturally infer leadership qualities, though it may - if you look at some of the players in the same team in recent years, Gary Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra all possessed strong leadership qualities and that was just the back four.

Other players do not have the same temperament - it is not their fault, just the way they are wired and we seem to have gone from having an over representation to an under representation in a few seasons. The law of probability suggests this will self correct over time, but for now we do not have too many choices, but as one must appoint a captain, those people proposing Matic have my support, he is steady and calm. DDG is certainly our best player, but it is hard for a goal keeper to see what is happening, due to being stuck at one end of the pitch. Jones is an interesting thought, but injury absences are a potential negative.

One thing I disagree with is that time serving plays a part in leadership roles - captains are ready when they are ready, not after 'x' seasons.

Reactions: Penna

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Matic for me. He can bollock Pogba and our wingers/wingbacks easily from that position.
The traditional captain may not be around so much anymore, but there's no reason why Jose can't tell them to be that person.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
De Gea, he is our most consistent player.

Matic is leader in the midfielder, with or without arm band he will bark instructions. Don't think arm band is that important in football, only use I can think of is to gain advantage from refs when they talk to them.

red4ever 79

Has to be either De Gea or Matic. Would prefer to give it to a CB, but when I look at all of ours I have no inspiration from them either from an ability perspective or from a leadership angle

roseguy64

It'll be between Smalling, De Gea and Valencia. Maybe Matic too. Two out of those 4 will be C and VC.

Minimalist

If it's an outfield player I'd have to go for either Matic or Smalling. Only proper options we have.

Valencia shouldn't even be starting and can't speak English so it's just dumb.

Revan

Assumptionman
Keepers are normally terrible captains.

De Gea isn't vocal enough to be captain.
Schmeichel, Buffon, Casillas, Kahn, Neuer, Zoff are some of the most legendary captains of all time.

De Gea is shy though. Saying that, leading by example and all that, he would have been my first choice.

pascell

Matic or de Gea for me, they play every game and both absolute winners. Can't remember the post match interview with Matic (could be when we sealed 2nd place?) but when the interviewer mentioned it must feel good to have 2nd place, Matic quickly shot him down saying United should be winning the title and need to get back to doing so, this struck me as the kind of player we need as the vocal point.

Can7onA

Schmeichel, Buffon, Casillas, Kahn, Neuer, Zoff are some of the most legendary captains of all time.

De Gea is shy though. Saying that, leading by example and all that, he would have been my first choice.
All incredibly vocal and able to organise whats in front of them.

A criticism that has been aimed at De Gea by a few, Schmeichel and Van Der Sar recently.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I don't trust his body or his brain.
Well I did mention about him staying fit, and if he was representing Manchester United on University Challenge i'd have to agree.....

He's always been down as Captaincy material from a very young age, plus he's one of the few players we've got that actually looks as though he gives two shits when we lose.

And your choice would be ?

Charlie Foley

Well I did mention about him staying fit, and if he was representing Manchester United on University Challenge i'd have to agree.....

He's always been down as Captaincy material from a very young age, plus he's one of the few players we've got that actually looks as though he gives two shits when we lose.

And your choice would be ?
Easy with the sarkiness mate, my comment was directed at Jones and not you!

Don't know about University Challenge but he "represented" Manchester United in the FA Cup Final a few weeks ago.

I don't know what "down as captaincy material" means so I can't agree or disagree. If you mean others in the game suggest it then fair enough.

I would rather Matic. Other players I'd have ahead of Jones personally are DDG, Valencia if playing regularly, in time Lukaku, and if he were to play like 2016/17, Herrera. To name a few. Not necessarily ideal candidates one and all but I'd have them ahead of Jones for sure (possibly Pogba too or Smalling but I doubt all our cbs)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Easy with the sarkiness mate, my comment was directed at Jones and not you!

Don't know about University Challenge but he "represented" Manchester United in the FA Cup Final a few weeks ago.

I don't know what "down as captaincy material" means so I can't agree or disagree. If you mean others in the game suggest it then fair enough.

I would rather Matic. Other players I'd have ahead of Jones personally are DDG, Valencia if playing regularly, in time Lukaku, and if he were to play like 2016/17, Herrera. To name a few. Not necessarily ideal candidates one and all but I'd have them ahead of Jones for sure (possibly Pogba too or Smalling but I doubt all our cbs)
Bloody hell mate, if you've got that down as me being sarcastic i'd put me on ignore now, don't delay :lol:

Big Sam, SAF and Fabio Capello to name just three have all had Jones down as having England and Manchester United captaincy potential, though admittedly it was a few years ago now.

So basically anybody but Jones for you eh ?

Alfie092

I would personally give it to Lukaku. Clearly is our undisputed number 1 striker who will play 99% of the games when fit, despite only just turning 25 less than a month ago, he is a very experienced player and is also Belgium's all-time top scorer, so he can be our captain for years to come. He is also pretty vocal on the pitch too and off the pitch you can see he is a real student of the game and always looking to improve. Doesn't come with any drama off the pitch too.

For the vice-captaincy, I would give it to either De Gea as he has been at the club for a while and our most consistent player who will lead by example, or give the vice-captaincy to Pogba, it could be the making of him and the extra responsibility may lead to more consistent performances and less toying around (I could be fully wrong).

Sing you a song

It'll be Valencia until he retires - De Gea his deputy
In that case I hope he retires this summer
Valencia is the most unsuitable Captain we have ever had
A captain should be a driving force on the field and a strong voice in the dressing room.Valencia is neither of these .
He should be inspirational a natural leader at the top of his game, He is neither of these .
He should be a guaranteed starter week in week out , please god he cannot be a regular starter next season or we have little chance of progressing, he is rapidly going backwards as a player has no attacking intent which is so vital in modern day football when attacking full backs are vitally important.
How on earth he could ever be captain staggers me , the guy has no personality , can hardly speak English and wouldn’t say boo to a goose

Think great Manchester United Captains
Steve Bruce
Gary Neville
Bryan Robson
Eric the King
Roy Keane
All natural leaders who drove their teammates onwards and were inspirational , to put Valencia alongside these names is laughable.

Hopefully we will sign a natural captain otherwise it should be Matic or Degea, would also like to give Pogba the chance as it might just be the making of him

alsharif nahas

1) Valencia(c): He is the oldest and most experienced player in the team. Also he is one of the our best players, and he has high consistency.
2) De Gea(VC): He has been in the team for 7 seasons, and he the most consistent player we have. I think he is the best player that we have.
3) Pogba(3rd pick): Technically he is considered as old player too because he is from the academy. In addition, Pogba is one of the best mid players in the game. And i feel that he has what it takes to be a leader in the pitch.

I think that those three players are the best in our team. They work really hard on and off the pitch, and it seems like our team relies on their abilities a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murray3007

always prefer my captains to be defenders for some reason aint really sure why. but looking at our current crop then there is no way i would make any them captain. would prob have to be De Gea for me at the moment, Valencia be captain i always felt was a bit of a joke if honest. can barely speak the language.

Andersons Dietician

Personally don’t think DeGea is captain material. Fantastic player but nothing about him screams captain. Doesn’t seem to communicate with his defence so how is he supposed to communicate with the rest of the team. He really just doesn’t seem the type that would be a captain.

At times last year I thought maybe Pogba could grow in to the role, he looked to bring people together and lead but like his form very inconsistent. Reluctant to give it to Matic as he doesn’t seem to communicate anything either and seems very withdrawn. If anything I think it has to be Smalling or Lukaku. They are the most consistent and vocal whilst also being quite level headed. I’d probably go for Lukaku as first choice as I’ve really been impressed with the leadership he has shown this year even if his season wasn’t as good as his previous. He added something different to his game and it was that, leadership.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Keep Valencia and Young rotating the armband, they will play most of the games anyway next season. Then see if Lukaku can step up but he would be nearly there to wear the band with his attitude, just hope it wouldn't make him undroppable which is another thing we don't want as he needs rotation and can be crap too, but if he steps up his game his everygame inclusion will be justified..