Man Utd Captain | 18/19 Onwards...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some people are suggesting that we shouldn't put DDG because he's not vocal enough, then they go on suggesting Valencia who can barely speak any English. Brilliant.

Sterling Archer

Some people are suggesting that we shouldn't put DDG because he's not vocal enough, then they go on suggesting Valencia who can barely speak any English. Brilliant.
The logic is actually pretty sensible. Captains don't need to be reading poetry at half time or even giving the kind of rousing team talk you might expect in a movie. A couple of gruff short yet uplifting cheers, like "c'mon!" "head up!", could be equally motivational. More important is on the field. Keeping the defensive line focused, screaming at your forward to make a run or cover a man. Don't need an English degree for that. Do need to be more 'vocal', however .

Edit: just to put things in perspective, it is not like many of the regional English screens are very comprehensible. Or take that strong Glasgow one we were blessed with for near three decades... Unless you're from there sometimes you just go for the gist of it. You feel the rest in your bones

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I'd like DDG, but I think Matic would be able to control things better in the centre of the park; so Matic for me.

It might be fun to see Bailly as captain - he looks proper mental at times.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Give it to Giggsy till the end of the season

Norris

Maybe Valencia this year and DDG as VC and then make DDG captain the next and hopefully when/if Pogba steps up, the VC.

In terms of passion and how much he loves to win, the club, other choices would be Ashley Yound and Herrera, but am not sure how much game time they will get, especially the latter.

RyRy11

I quite like the committee approach to captaincy — a tad bit like what Bayern are doing, or have done, over the years:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uefa-champions-league/mannschaftskapitaene/pokalwettbewerb/CL

Especially at a club like United, where we currently don't have an exceptionally inspirational figure who ticks all the boxes — like Keane did in the past.

Cpt. De Gea: Best and most consistent player, and has been at United for 7 seasons
V-C. Valencia: Longest tenured first team player at the club, and an outstanding professional
2-C. Lingard: Local kid and academy product: has a good rapport with the younger lot, and United runs through his veins
3-C. Matić: Seasoned and apparently authoritative, and seems very devoted to the manager
I had no idea Bayern went with this approach. I really like this idea, spread the captaincy around and the players should feel more culpable for the team's performance maybe?

I quite like the committee approach to captaincy — a tad bit like what Bayern are doing, or have done, over the years:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uefa-champions-league/mannschaftskapitaene/pokalwettbewerb/CL

Especially at a club like United, where we currently don't have an exceptionally inspirational figure who ticks all the boxes — like Keane did in the past.

Cpt. De Gea: Best and most consistent player, and has been at United for 7 seasons
V-C. Valencia: Longest tenured first team player at the club, and an outstanding professional
2-C. Lingard: Local kid and academy product: has a good rapport with the younger lot, and United runs through his veins
3-C. Matić: Seasoned and apparently authoritative, and seems very devoted to the manager
He could never be captain he seems to take everything for a big joke.

SpyLuke10

Lukaku. Probably the biggest leader on the pitch these days at the club.

devilish

The logic is actually pretty sensible. Captains don't need to be reading poetry at half time or even giving the kind of rousing team talk you might expect in a movie. A couple of gruff short yet uplifting cheers, like "c'mon!" "head up!", could be equally motivational. More important is on the field. Keeping the defensive line focused, screaming at your forward to make a run or cover a man. Don't need an English degree for that. Do need to be more 'vocal', however .

Edit: just to put things in perspective, it is not like many of the regional English screens are very comprehensible. Or take that strong Glasgow one we were blessed with for near three decades... Unless you're from there sometimes you just go for the gist of it. You feel the rest in your bones
Both seem not vocal to me. However I do agree that being vocal is important but not necessarily crucial. There are different type of captains after all from Keane who 'bullied' those who slack next time they meet in training right to the more mentality balanced guys like Javier Zanetti and Eric Cantona who allowed their workrate do the talking. They say that Cantona was the first one to come to the training ground and the last one to leave it. He would train for an hour or two with the younger generation and then make sure to sign every autograph before leaving the Cliff.

Now lets focus on the dynamics of the squad. We've got DDG who had constantly been our best player for more then half a decade. At 27 he's the second youngest player in our defensive unit made up of Valencia (32), Young (32), Smalling (28), Jones (26) and Matic (29). That's scenario makes it very difficult for him to be the leader. After all not even Keane used to be one when he was surrounded by more experienced heads such as Bruce, Ince, Robson, Schmeichel, Irwin and Parker. However, lets now change 1 variant into the situation ie lets imagine DDG is made captain. At that point it becomes his responsibility to lead the team. That worked wonders with many players including Keane who transformed from a quiet guy with anger management issues to a leader with anger management issues

Lets do the same with Valencia. Unlike DDG whose been consistently WC for years, Antonio has been in a slow but steady decline for quite some time. At one point we acknowledged that his one trick pony isn't working as efficiently as it used to, so we moved him as RB which added mileage to his career. However its becoming evident now that such trick isn't working as effectively as it used to be. He's not the most talented or intelligent player on the pitch, he's hardly the most vocal (same as DDG) and he's in decline. I won't be surprised if Dalot ends up first teamer in the next couple of months. So seriously do you think he's a better captain then DDG?

L

devilish

Does Valencia have enough English to say "Heads" or "Tails?"
Seems to be all that is required of a United captain these days!
Sorted.
Please read my previous post however allow me to add to it.

In my opinion, we have a big decision to make. We can either reward our most consistent player (some might dare to say our only WC player) by giving him the captains band. Hopefully that added responsibility/power would be enough to transform him into a captain. Else we can give the captain's band to someone with experience, who understand Mourinho's game and whose quite a leader. I am thinking of the likes of Matic or Toby (if we sign him)

I can't see any wisdom in making a one trick pony, who can't be bothered to learn the language and whose been in steady decline for years as captain, especially since he might lose his place in the next couple of months.

Quite frankly Valencia should not even been a first team player - can’t even put even a decent cross after all these years. Buy hey, he looks strong...

Unfortunately we don’t have any stand out candidates. Previously we could choose a captain from Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Schole and Giggs.

Good arguments can be had for either Matic or DDG, and id just go with Matic. The main reason, and this is perhaps unfair, but if you give it to DDG, then he could be with us for another 10 years, and I would hope in that time we would find someone like Vidic or Keane to be our captain rather than a keeper for the next decade.

arnie_ni

Valencia can't even speak the language. How does he communicate with the ref, with the team?

Ashley R1+O

Lukaku at the end of next season. Bemused as to why Valencia is in the squad let alone the skipper. Guy can't even keep a defensive line when he's the man looking across the back line. Herrera maybe?... Smalling/Bailly. We really are looking at a barren leadership core. Not hard to see where some of our problems stem from. I don't know how you build leadership, other than see it emerging in a player like Lukaku but he's clearly not ready yet.

Handsome Devil

Please read my previous post however allow me to add to it.

In my opinion, we have a big decision to make. We can either reward our most consistent player (some might dare to say our only WC player) by giving him the captains band. Hopefully that added responsibility/power would be enough to transform him into a captain. Else we can give the captain's band to someone with experience, who understand Mourinho's game and whose quite a leader. I am thinking of the likes of Matic or Toby (if we sign him)

I can't see any wisdom in making a one trick pony, who can't be bothered to learn the language and whose been in steady decline for years as captain, especially since he might lose his place in the next couple of months.
No, no, I absolutely agree with you! We haven't had a captain displaying traditional leadership qualities in a long time. It's strange too because, like him or loathe him (and I think I know the consensus on here) Jose gave that role to Terry back in the day, and it played no small part in Chelsea's initial success.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Valencia isn'tt anywhere near good to be first choice, and the only thing that puts him above others is that he is here longer than others, he doesn't have single captain's attribute.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Valencia isn'tt anywhere near good to be first choice, and the only thing that puts him above others is that he is here longer than others, he doesn't have single captain's attribute.
As it stands Valencia will be a regular starter, unless we make another signing at Right Back. But to me it looks like the plan is Valencia with Dalot being very gradually eased in, probably in the domestic cups this season.

Kapardin

De Gea - Not vocal enough or much of a leader despite his quality.

Smalling - Not a leader regardless of quality.

Valencia - Not communicative, not a leader, shouldn't even be a starter.

Young - See Valencia.

Pogba - Too immature and half-arsed at times. He needs a Roy Keane like Captain to give him a kick up the rearend at times rather than being Captain himself.

Matic - Doesn't strike me as one who can rally the players when under pressure and be a calming influence on the pitch. He is the only possible option though.

Sanchez - Too soon, too full of himself at times and yet to make an impact for us.

Lukaku - Too soon, but has potential in a year's time or so. In any case, even he hasn't exhibited leadership qualities, but his never-say-die attitude on the pitch, sincerity and hardwork are his strengths.

Would go with Matic this season and Lukaku the next (unless we get someone with a mentality like Ibra in the meantime).

dove

De Gea. I don't care if he is not vocal enough, he is our best player, speaks decent English (unlike our current vice-captain) and deserves to be rewarded. Someone like Matic is a decent shout as well but he joined just a year ago.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Give it to the manager's sergeant on the pitch, Lukaku.

Leads by example with hard work, attitude and commitment. Can communicate well, is an outfield player and puts in consistently good performances week in and week out. And of all the people who know Pogba personally in that team, he is also the closest and most suitable to give him a kick up his arse. He may be here for just a year, but he's a leader, no doubt about that. We could make a statement about what we value in our players the moment we make him the captain.

But it's going to be Valencia with Smalling/Young deputizing I guess.

Nikelesh Reddy

With a World Cup and another busy summer of transfer activity on the horizon, there is still an important decision to be made: Who is the captain of Manchester United?

Technically, Michael Carrick was our captain before his retirement, but due to fitness, Antonio Valencia took responsibility of the armband for the majority of the season. Due to the arrival of new right-back Diogo Dalot and Valencia turning 33yo by the start of the season, it must put his position as captain under scrutiny?

Personally, I've been a skeptic of Valencia as our first choice right-back and now captain for a long time. The guy can barely speak English after well over a decade in the country! For me, a captain needs to be an ever present name in the starting line-up and motivate the rest of the team on the pitch.

I'd be the first to admit that we lack players with leadership qualities, but the only player I see as having a genuine candidacy for the armband is: David de Gea. Should play all league and European games, be on the pitch for the whole 90 minutes and has been our most important player for many years.

Therefore, who do you believe should be our captain?
Nemanja Matic would be a very good choice,but I think Jose will stick with Valencia...He will probably respect the longevity of Valencia and give it to him...

JMack1234

We haven't got a single decent candidate for captain how sad.

Personally i'd give it to Mata i've no idea what he's like but apparently he was one of the most popular men in football and he'd be a very good ambassador for our club with all his charity work.

De Gea- Yeah I'd be perfectly happy for De Gea to get the armband

Matic- Again, he could do a job as captain. Basically the first name of the team sheet under Mourinho

Valencia- Now our longest serving player but he can't or won't speak English. Which is fine but sinks any chance he should be our captain because in my view part of being a captain is communicating with the fans.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Valencia as captain makes no sense to me at all. Can't speak English, shows little leadership skills and his form has been poor. DDG should get it, it's a good way to pay him back for loyalty and sets a good example I think.

Camilo

DDG. If he shows a commitment to the club I think the club should show him his worth, and not just in monetary terms.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As it stands Valencia will be a regular starter, unless we make another signing at Right Back. But to me it looks like the plan is Valencia with Dalot being very gradually eased in, probably in the domestic cups this season.
Yeah, that's what it looks like, but we should have started it about three years ago, Valencia is dreadful.

Sigma

Valencia can't even speak the language. How does he communicate with the ref, with the team?
Yes he can. He just can articulate himself in interviews better in Spanish and so chooses to speak that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
De Gea. I don't care if he is not vocal enough, he is our best player, speaks decent English (unlike our current vice-captain) and deserves to be rewarded. Someone like Matic is a decent shout as well but he joined just a year ago.
You don't care if he's potentially missing a vital ingredient in being captain?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
People need to stop this "he's the best player, so he needs to be captain" nonsense.
We need a leader, someone who can organize the team.
DDG isn't vocal enough, and we can't hope that giving him the armband will make him change, he needs to change first, and prove that he can lead and organize.
The only option i see in the team right now, is Matic, with Smalling and Young as alternatives - hopefully the last two won't play that much next year, so they should be out of the question.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People need to stop this "he's the best player, so he needs to be captain" nonsense.
We need a leader, someone who can organize the team.
DDG isn't vocal enough, and we can't hope that giving him the armband will make him change, he needs to change first, and prove that he can lead and organize.
The only option i see in the team right now, is Matic, with Smalling and Young as alternatives - hopefully the last two won't play that much next year, so they should be out of the question.

This - it's a pile of BS.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It will be Valencia.

If it weren't, I would imagine Matic would be next in line.

dove

You don't care if he's potentially missing a vital ingredient in being captain?
As if our squad is full of players having this vital ingredient... When people suggest players like Valencia and Pogba you know the choice for a captain is very very limited.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I always felt like Darmian was a diamond in the rough when it came to natural leadership qualities. Trust Jose to sell him rather than make him captain though, the cnut :rolleyes:
No leader of men keeps the sort of facial hair he does.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As if our squad is full of players having this vital ingredient... When people suggest players like Valencia and Pogba you know the choice for a captain is very very limited.
If you have a lot of people blowing hot air on the pitch, it's even more a need for a vocal captain to bring everyone on the same page.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we want someone who shouts a lot on the pitch..?
Ideally yes, the "manager on the pitch" who reminds everyone what they're meant to be doing and gees them up if it looks like their heads are going down. Ideally we'd have a number of these, with one of them designated captain. I can't see Valencia being that guy.