Man Utd podcast: Ander Herrera

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ander Herrera has revealed he did not want to leave Manchester United but felt he was not shown the love in the summer after his third season at the club, 2017 season.
Herrera from the sounds of it had his mind made up then, his agent had possibly been offering him around after this and with the intentions of running his contract down to get a larger deal on the open market.
Not a chance this guy was worth 300k a week, would struggle to command a fee of 200k a week in his peak if he had stayed.
Again. What you’ve quoted (and what Herrera said) and what Pexbo took from it (and what I originally argued with) are completely different things and, unsurprisingly, he created this mythical scenario as the main evidence against Herrera in a post where he criticized Herrera’s hypocrisy.

Let’s be clear, what he is describing in that interview is a twisted version of events, he decided to sign for PSG when he still had two years left to run on his current contract

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think easily replaced players should be easily replaced (the accent on easily) otherwise they’re not, well, easily replaced?

It’s one thing to say that he was not world class (probably too high of a bar to even mention in regards to Herrera) or, well, simply special — he wasn’t. But he was a reliable, consistent workhorse with an above-average technical ability — it may sound generic but it really isn’t, which is evident by us failing to replace him properly. You can find such players but they cost a lot (look at Fred’s price) and can easily flop.
Just because we haven’t done it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be relatively simple. There’s a lot of shit you’d file under that heading over the past decade.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm with you. He always says what fans want to hear but something about him seems off - very different to somebody like Javier Hernandez who comes across like a genuine person. I reckon he's eyeing an ambassadorial role or something.
Its funny you mention Javier Hernandez as he's actually been known to be fake and a massive twat for a while now.

He started hanging around with some life coach and basically became an egotistical Ronaldo-lite. There are reports of him being a problem at Leverkusen and West Ham and when he went to LA he refused to speak to his teammates other than one or two other Mexicans. I have some friends of friends who play/played in LA and they can't stand him, no one can. So far up his own ass and incredibly rude to anyone below him. He even ruined his god-like status in Mexico by being a cnut. During a camp he threw a party with hookers and then refused to accept any responsibility blaming loads of other people and even got some regular workers fired over it. Then took 3 years to apologize, conveniently right before the World Cup thinking he'd get called up but he wasn't because Tata could see right through him and he causes so much trouble. Then there are the claims from his ex-wife that he refused to install safety railings around their pool to protect their children because they didn't fit the aesthetic and in general was a completely absent father. No surprises for when he released his crying sob story of how he was sorry for being a terrible husband/father/person.

Couldn't care for either of them personally, both fairly average players who have dined off being "passionate" despite Hernandez actually being a twat and Herrera chasing the money.

SambaBoy

He came, did a decent job, and left. Nothing player really, not good enough for a United midfield but also didn't stink out the place like a Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger.

For all the criticism Fellaini gets/got, I think he was a better signing than Herrera.

Shai-Hulud

The two posters above me... did you watch our games when he was here?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He’s going to be a politician when he finishes football. One of the fakest blokes in the sport. He always says exactly what fans want to hear but his actions don’t always back it up.

Let’s be clear, what he is describing in that interview is a twisted version of events, he decided to sign for PSG when he still had two years left to run on his current contract and then proceeded to run his contract down and leave on a free.
He's giving his version of events on Man Utd's in house official podcast. If he was lying that much do you think the club would publish and promote this on its website and social media?

el3mel

One of our most likeable players in the post Fergie era. Loved everything about him.

Skills

Snitch
For an easily replaced guy he’s been surprisingly hard to replace — only with the combined signing of Casemiro and Eriksen 3 years later we finally have a midfield that he (the peak version) wouldn’t have walked into. Fred was supposed to be an upgrade but in reality we’ve got the same energy without any technique.
The midfield was a mess while he was here as well. The reason for that is, it's Carrick who we've been failing to replace for the best part of a decade.

Mourinho made us £40m on Matic who was decent for a couple of 3-4 months spells over the best part of the 4 years he was here. Prior to that we were limping along with an aging Carrick, who whenever he hit a patch of form made us look like a decent team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The midfield was a mess while he was here as well. The reason for that is, it's Carrick who we've been failing to replace for the best part of a decade.

Mourinho made us £40m on Matic who was decent for a couple of 3-4 months spells over the best part of the 4 years he was here. Prior to that we were limping along with an aging Carrick, who whenever he hit a patch of form made us look like a decent team.
It's bizarre to me that we spent £50m (and wages) on Fred. Then went out and sunk another £40m (and wages) on Van de Beek. Only for the midfield to get worse.

Herrera was not an all time midfield great. He would not have started for any of our title winning teams, except maybe 2013 for Cleverly. However, had we renewed Ander after Stockholm - before PSG came in - we would have saved money and had a better midfield.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was always crazy how he was player of the season and then replaced that very summer and sent to the bench by matic. Could've at least tried to build around a midfield 3 with Pogba, Herrera and Matic, but they never went for it.

Elcabron

Yeah we gave everybody long contracts worth billions but left the player who probably was worth it till it was too late. Ed Woodward special . Herrera was the best CM we had and should have stayed longer.
Too late would have been after he signed the PSG contract but he was offered a new contract by united before he inked the PSG contract not afterwards.

The PSG contract was worth a lot more than the united contract.

He chose the PSG contract.

They are the facts. What can be debated is should we have matched the PSG contract and should he have been offered the united contract even earlier. I'm fairly neutral on Herrera, I like him and would have preferred if he stayed but wasn't overly upset when he left.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The contract offer by PSG was crazy, no ?

Even fans of Herrera mentioned that we maybe shouldn't match that offer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The contract offer by PSG was crazy, no ?

Even fans of Herrera mentioned that we maybe shouldn't match that offer.
Yeah, the time to resign him was earlier — probably around the time that Herrera mentions himself. And for a different money.

Once PSG came with that offer he was gone — we would've never matched it (although with Woodward you never could be sure) and we certainly shouldn't have. He was a good player but never ~300k per week good, not even close.

Zen86

It’s a shame he left, was always a big fan of his and loved what he brought to the team. Always difficult to gauge what happened with him considering our poor approach to contract renewals, but ultimately he decided to leave for big money at PSG.

GregM40

Rated him. Never went missing like a lot of so called more talented players did week in week out. Would still be a decent utility player for us I reck.

Loved that assist for Martial in the FA cup semi final, watched it at a mates wedding who’s new wife gave in and put it on the screens, even my mates dad had it on his phone during speeches before that!

Hammondo

What heavy lifting? He was on 100 to 150k at the most and PSG paid him 300k.

Yet, we gave new contracts to all the Ole boys before they'd even earned it
It was a painful time to be a united supporter, you could see we were going to collapse.

Zen86

What heavy lifting? He was on 100 to 150k at the most and PSG paid him 300k.

Yet, we gave new contracts to all the Ole boys before they'd even earned it
Ole boys? Wasn’t Herrera a key player for Ole up until he got injured and declared he was leaving?

Hammondo

He’s irritated me over the years with his pitch perfect “this is what the fans want to hear” sound bites instead of just telling it how it is, but in this interview he’s way more genuine and says exactly what we thought was going on, and the waterworks were genuine as well.

Basically, he wanted a new contract and a big pay rise, he didn’t get that so he got the hump, refused to extend unless it was silly money (Mitten says his agent was asking for north of £200k a week and he genuinely thinks Herrera had no idea what numbers were being thrown around) ran his contract down to the last year and he already had the hump at that point.

The point still stands though, if he really wanted to stay he could have, the offer was there but because it came a few months later than he wanted it he’d already thrown the baby out with the bath water. Ego make you make bad decisions in life.
It clearly was the right decision for him and poor management by us, trying to underpay one of our best players but pay worse ones more, of course he left.

Hammondo

I think easily replaced players should be easily replaced (the accent on easily) otherwise they’re not, well, easily replaced?

It’s one thing to say that he was not world class (probably too high of a bar to even mention in regards to Herrera) or, well, simply special — he wasn’t. But he was a reliable, consistent workhorse with an above-average technical ability — it may sound generic but it really isn’t, which is evident by us failing to replace him properly. You can find such players but they cost a lot (look at Fred’s price) and can easily flop.
But Fred cost 50m for a worse player.

Remember the geese

Yeah we gave everybody long contracts worth billions but left the player who probably was worth it till it was too late. Ed Woodward special . Herrera was the best CM we had and should have stayed longer.
Pogba was and it wasn't even close. Funny the difference in how both are perceived however.

Irwin99

Some of the hate he gets on here seems really weird to me. I didn't listen to the interview but it pretty much confirms what I suspected judging from the comments: he wasn't offered a contract after a very good year of performances in 16-17 and a MOTM in the Europa League final (he also did pretty well in his first season too). I would have told the club to get fecked if i were in his shoes and i saw Phil Jones and Ashley Young get contract extensions ahead of me.

crossy1686

career ending
Some of the hate he gets on here seems really weird to me. I didn't listen to the interview but it pretty much confirms what I suspected judging from the comments: he wasn't offered a contract after a very good year of performances in 16-17 and a MOTM in the Europa League final (he also did pretty well in his first season too). I would have told the club to get fecked if i were in his shoes and i saw Phil Jones and Ashley Young get contract extensions ahead of me.
But they all got offered contracts in their last year, and signed them. Herrera got the hump because he got offered a contract extension in his last year when he wanted one the summer before. He's angry at all the wrong people, he could have stayed if he wanted to.

crossy1686

career ending
It clearly was the right decision for him and poor management by us, trying to underpay one of our best players but pay worse ones more, of course he left.
For a start he's never been a £200k+ a week player, and the issue wasn't that he was underpaid, the issue is that he wanted a contract offer the summer before he was offered a contract extension. It's daft, he should be annoyed at the people who convincned him getting offered a contract in your final year is disrespecful.

clarkydaz

i remember at the time the story was the Spanish guys were pissed the club were favouring the English players. Jones, Smalling, Young, etc

Woodward tried similar with Fellaini, who ended up publicly mocking the club as they had to pay up for him due to Mourinho wanting him to stay at any cost

AFC NimbleThumb

:lol:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He may have had his limitations as a player, but at the end of the day we replaced him with hopeless cloggers in Fred and McTominay.

Luka Mora

Sickening we did not give him the respect he deserves and give him a new contract. Makes it worse it was at the time we renewed players like phil jones, mata bailey, rashford and Martial on bumper deals during the same period

SAFMUTD

Sickening we did not give him the respect he deserves and give him a new contract. Makes it worse it was at the time we renewed players like phil jones, mata bailey, rashford and Martial on bumper deals during the same period
Doesn't mean it would've been a good call. Actually letting him go turned out to be a great decision.

He's been injured a lot for PSG on huge wages for a player of his quality and hasn't even stablish himself as a starter. He'd be another injury prone deadwood player in our squad at this point.

stoinz

One of my favorite players. Ten-hag would love him here. I'm sure he would have played more games than Bailey and Phil Jones if he had stayed.

RedTiger

Half mast
He’s going to be a politician when he finishes football. One of the fakest blokes in the sport. He always says exactly what fans want to hear but his actions don’t always back it up.

Let’s be clear, what he is describing in that interview is a twisted version of events, he decided to sign for PSG when he still had two years left to run on his current contract and then proceeded to run his contract down and leave on a free.
All said and done you can't deny his work rate for the club, it was exemplary.

mu4c_20le

Didn't exactly light up the french league. Would've been happy for him to stay had we not signed Fred

Gazza

I'm kinda on this side of the takes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yet another player we let down. We should re sign him to keep company to the likes of Sancho, Maguire and Jones. Trophies are secondary when compared to giving players their safe space. No one is bigger then the players

SATA

Could never forgot the moment where he was lifted up by Mark fecking Noble. And the absolute ridiculous thing was our entire spineless team that season saw that and allowed it to happen

Mr.Hik

Could never forgot the moment where he was lifted up by Mark fecking Noble. And the absolute ridiculous thing was our entire spineless team that season saw that and allowed it to happen
And I think that was crucial game for top 4?
Everyone is general after the battle.

lsd

The Oracle
Wouldn't last two minutes on the pitch under Ten Hag that's for sure

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We needed to make sure to sign contract renewals for the likes of Jones, Lee Grant, Lingard, Mata, etc. It's Herrera's problem he couldn't wait for us to sort out important players first.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Made no sense! Not giving a player who just won player of the year a new contract yet giving Phil Jones one who never plays a game :lol: Herrera loved this club! The board have No brain cells!