Man Utd podcast: Ander Herrera

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was decent enough with a good attitude etc but was not particularly good at any one part of the midfield role.
The way some idolise him even now probably says more about how we've been run and the signings we've made this last ten years.

AlPistacho

One of our better post SAF signings. Both for his passion and ability. So I was disappointed that he left.

However the whole “hurt my feelings because they didn’t offer me a new contract after x seasons” so I left is rubbish. Yeah you might be disappointed but you also know because you’ve been player of the year the club might want to wait and see if your form and position in the team remains. Also isn’t it club policy (as stupid as it is) to let our better players contracts run down, so it was actually a sign of him being good and valued.

stevoc

He’s going to be a politician when he finishes football. One of the fakest blokes in the sport. He always says exactly what fans want to hear but his actions don’t always back it up.

Let’s be clear, what he is describing in that interview is a twisted version of events, he decided to sign for PSG when he still had two years left to run on his current contract and then proceeded to run his contract down and leave on a free.
I like Ander and wasn't too fussed when he left. But yeah this is bang on, don't know why he's been on this PR spin routine the last few years to try to make it out like United forced him out.

crossy1686

career ending
Sickening we did not give him the respect he deserves and give him a new contract. Makes it worse it was at the time we renewed players like phil jones, mata bailey, rashford and Martial on bumper deals during the same period
:lol: He was offered a new contract, he said so himself? He and his agent decided it was disrespectful and wanted to negotiate the season before so he ran his contract down and left instead.

If you think about this for more than a second you’ll realise his ego got in the way of him getting exactly what he wanted.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I believe that his leaving is a direct result of that ridiculous Sanchez deal that we are still paying for if
It's probably the worst transfer ever. Up there with Griezmann to Barca which might still end the club. '
Destabilised both the starting XI and the wage structure for a total dud.

Lee565

I know people say he was not united quality but we kinda screwed him over, when he first came he was creative on the ball and scoring goals with good timing of arriving in and around the box at the right time but van gaal quickly become very cautious tactically and first choice 11.

then the pragmatic mourinho came in and clearly had a preference for players physical attributes first and foremost hence him ditching blind as our first choice centre back despite being better than smalling, bailly, Jones and lindelof. Herrera was forced to play as defensive midfielder to stop the opposition which is what mourinho was always more concerned about.

Luka Mora

:lol: He was offered a new contract, he said so himself? He and his agent decided it was disrespectful and wanted to negotiate the season before so he ran his contract down and left instead.

If you think about this for more than a second you’ll realise his ego got in the way of him getting exactly what he wanted.
All I can remember is that he wanted to be put on 200k or something close to it, but the club did not feel he was worth, while they were happy to bumper the likes of Martial's contract to 250k rashford to 200k and phil jones to over 100k 4 year contract,

You can blame ego, but any self respecting player who shed blood sweat and tears for the club would have felt rightly insulted.

crossy1686

career ending
All I can remember is that he wanted to be put on 200k or something close to it, but the club did not feel he was worth, while they were happy to bumper the likes of Martial's contract to 250k rashford to 200k and phil jones to over 100k 4 year contract,

You can blame ego, but any self respecting player who shed blood sweat and tears for the club would have felt rightly insulted.
Straight from the horses mouth:
“It was not about money,” Herrera told The Athletic. “It was not about the duration of the contract offer. In my opinion, I waited too long (for an offer) and deserved more attention from the club. I was a player that gave everything.

“I never complained. I never went to the media to complain about anything. I never put a bad face to any manager, to any member of the board, and they waited until I had five or six months left on my contract.

“I expected them to come to sign a new contract after my club Player of the Year award in 2017 but they waited until I had six months left on my contract. I just felt sad.
He literally says it's because they didn't offer him a contract the summer before and waited until he had one year left on his deal, which is common with most of the contract renewals at United at the time.

He also claims he had no idea his agent was asking for £300k a week, which is why United were stalling on the offer apparently.

He had an offer and he let some petty politics stop him from signing it despite that being exactly what he wanted. I mean, I understand, my daugher does this sometimes, I make her a sandwhich and I cut the bread "wrong" so now the sandwhich is inedible and has to go in the bin while she starves, as you can probably tell, she's 4 years old, and he's a fully grown man.

RedDevil@84

He’s going to be a politician when he finishes football. One of the fakest blokes in the sport. He always says exactly what fans want to hear but his actions don’t always back it up.

Let’s be clear, what he is describing in that interview is a twisted version of events, he decided to sign for PSG when he still had two years left to run on his current contract and then proceeded to run his contract down and leave on a free.
And you base this on?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Straight from the horses mouth:

He literally says it's because they didn't offer him a contract the summer before and waited until he had one year left on his deal, which is common with most of the contract renewals at United at the time.

He also claims he had no idea his agent was asking for £300k a week, which is why United were stalling on the offer apparently.

He had an offer and he let some petty politics stop him from signing it despite that being exactly what he wanted. I mean, I understand, my daugher does this sometimes, I make her a sandwhich and I cut the bread "wrong" so now the sandwhich is inedible and has to go in the bin while she starves, as you can probably tell, she's 4 years old, and he's a fully grown man.
How do you cut bread wrong man, you just get a knife and lop it off

Fluctuation0161

Didn't Woodward trigger his 1 year extension by post with no conversation?

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Ask my daughter. Apparently they need to be cut into triangles, not squares. Squares are inedible, ruins the taste apparently.
She’s right, triangles are made with love and taste better

Hammondo

For a start he's never been a £200k+ a week player, and the issue wasn't that he was underpaid, the issue is that he wanted a contract offer the summer before he was offered a contract extension. It's daft, he should be annoyed at the people who convincned him getting offered a contract in your final year is disrespecful.
I think he was, but the actual problem is how much he was paid compared to others.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just a meh player, can’t understand the love some have for him.
Not arsed about his time here nor his departure, was all a bit meh.
He was a bit meh indeed, but he was also part of the team that was able to win something. He turned to be good partner for Pogba more than Fred, Pereira and in some few elements, perhaps even Matić (still somewhat debatable).

Definitely not the worst tier signing post SAF.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I liked Herrera but there must be many reasons why three managers didn’t play him regularly. It’s a bit of revisionism to claim he was a good signing. He spent nearly 50 games on the bench without getting off it. Aka sub not used.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I liked Herrera but there must be many reasons why three managers didn’t play him regularly. It’s a bit of revisionism to claim he was a good signing. He spent nearly 50 games on the bench without getting off it. Aka sub not used.
Yup and at times, Herrera wasn't even available on the bench, through injuries and that's in critical moments of the season.

Despite all that, solely on paper, midfield Matić, Pogba, Herrera, Blind still sometimes looks to me more stable than Matić, Pogba, Fred and Pereira. Without McTominay upcoming for the first squad, we wouldn't even have player on the bench if Matić's legs are gone.

What a random cluster of midfield that was. :lol:

jesperjaap

Obviously we all love a player that is loyal to the lub, stays there whole career and is also a top player here.

But call me controversial and sure many will disagree. Herrera was a good pro here, professional, hard working and came across well personality wise on and off the pitch and with what he has said about the club (I mean we already know the club has neem poorly for a long time, no news there)....but personally I would rather a player that is really good whilst they are here and says little about the club or loyalty shown like Ince, Heinze Tevez who were all excellent players in there time here but are often slateed....that a player that seems loyal but is average.

He got player of the season in a side that was bloody awful. The "hard to replace" is nonsense, we have simply made awful signings in midfield. He was bang average purely as a player most of his time despite being a likeable character yet he seems to have a high standing amongst many fans, yet soembody liek Ince who was fantastic here and went to Liverpool in the twilight of his career (Liek Schmeichel and COle at City) is often pilloried, though he played a big role in us winnign trophies early on which helped us towards the glory years.....then Tevez who is from a differnt continent and has no affection from his homeland to the club, helps us win a CL, goes to CIty, obviouly not great but players in places like Italy move between major clubs all the time.....these are players that should have respect from fans for there performances....Herrera was just ok, so over rated by many on here

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We should bring him back when he retires -- club ambassador or get him to be the commentator on MUTV esp the academy matches. He's a footballing wonk. I am sure he would love it.

You can have technical players who are superb but you also need players who play with heart. He was always the glue kind of player required in any TEAM.

Will Singh

I remember being so excited we’d signed him and bought he’s shirt. He always played with full passion and was gutted when he left.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Again. What you’ve quoted (and what Herrera said) and what Pexbo took from it (and what I originally argued with) are completely different things and, unsurprisingly, he created this mythical scenario as the main evidence against Herrera in a post where he criticized Herrera’s hypocrisy.
Thats a quote from Herrera himself, that once he wasnt contacted in the summer of 2017 after being named player of the season, he didnt feel loved by the club. This is the point I believe he made his decision to leave or at least consider leaving. Negotiations for his renewal went on for over a year before he stated he was leaving for PSG.

He mentions he felt the love from the fans but not the club in 2017 as he received no contact from them and it sounds like Herrera asked for contract talks but nothing came from him asking.
Pogba done the same thing, had a contract offer on the table for more than a year and didnt say if he was staying or going until the last minute so he could game time, if he had come out in January and said he was leaving it would be difficult for the manager to select him for the team. Herrera done the same thing as Pogba, knew he was leaving and didnt say anything until May about leaving, stringing the club along. He ran his contract down knowing what the offer was from United and what he could get elsewhere, this is intentional.
Any player that loves the club would have signed the deal and stayed or at least rejected it and stated their ambitions to leave, he chose PSG and I cant blame him for that as the money being offered was crazy but to start crying about not wanting to leave the club etc is all for show.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t know why but I find this guy overrated to the point that I dislike him a bit as well.

Talks Like he is better than the club and that PSG was more his style.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’ll always remember him coming on at Anfield, winding up gerrard and getting him sent off.

one of Herrera strengths were his ability to wind up opposition I think he’d have a blast with Antony and licha.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Amazing how contrasting/divided the opinions are. I think a lot of it is true, albeit conflated a little.

He was both a model pro and hard worker - said all the right things and followed it up on the pitch. He should have been kept at a decent wage. But that doesn’t mean letting him go was necessarily “wrong” - least not anywhere near the wage he got from PSG. He wasn’t worth anywhere near that - and I like Herrera. Always have during his Bilboa days.

Signing a dud like Fred doesn’t negate the above. Yeah we could the signing of Fred wrong & ended with a midfield of McFred, both those 2 things aren’t mutually exclusive. Lastly, I think players like him and Fellaini probably deserves a little more “respect” from our fan base (& I don’t like Fellaini). They were limited but they both offered something and more importantly, always tried. Low bar for a footballer, I know, but considering some of the clowns with terrible attitudes we’ve blown a fortune on since, they could learn a thing or 2 about application/attitude from those 2.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's true. He knows what to say in order to please the fans. His PR game is top notch.
However I don't agree with some that paint him as a horrible player or mediocre player, he is not. He is not the best but definitely one of the better midfielders we had under Jose and Van Gaal. Him keeping the on form Hazard in his back pocket was one of the most disciplined performances I've ever seen from a player whose task is to man mark. Only below Park when he marked Pirlo. Not disciplined as in no fouls (he is a dirty player after all), but he did what he had to do to render the main threat useless. He doesn't have a standout ability but he can be a very useful player for the correct manager. He also worked very hard when asked to do so. To put it simply, I'd take him ahead of Fred for this ManUnited team and believe he will do better overall. Ten Hag will love a player like him. Works just as hard as Fred but with better ball control and less erratic, his ability to wind people up is also underrated (ask Gerrard).

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Amazing how contrasting/divided the opinions are. I think a lot of it is true, albeit conflated a little.

He was both a model pro and hard worker - said all the right things and followed it up on the pitch. He should have been kept at a decent wage. But that doesn’t mean letting him go was necessarily “wrong” - least not anywhere near the wage he got from PSG. He wasn’t worth anywhere near that - and I like Herrera. Always have during his Bilboa days.

Signing a dud like Fred doesn’t negate the above. Yeah we could the signing of Fred wrong & ended with a midfield of McFred, both those 2 things aren’t mutually exclusive. Lastly, I think players like him and Fellaini probably deserves a little more “respect” from our fan base (& I don’t like Fellaini). They were limited but they both offered something and more importantly, always tried. Low bar for a footballer, I know, but considering some of the clowns with terrible attitudes we’ve blown a fortune on since, they could learn a thing or 2 about application/attitude from those 2.
This forum is a good study on psychology particularly memory. Its bi-polar memory -- people will always be remembered as been good/really good or he was completed gash/over-rated.

crossy1686

career ending
I’ll always remember him coming on at Anfield, winding up gerrard and getting him sent off.

one of Herrera strengths were his ability to wind up opposition I think he’d have a blast with Antony and licha.
What? Gerrard was on the pitch a whopping 35 seconds. He was wound up because Rodgers hadn't selected him to start the game against United, all Herrera did was slide tackle in front of him and he got stamped on.

crossy1686

career ending
This forum is a good study on psychology particularly memory. Its bi-polar memory -- people will always be remembered as been good/really good or he was completed gash/over-rated.
I think it's telling that the only stand out memory most have of Herrera is that he once man marked Hazard out of a game.