Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

If we do hire Mitchell it'll be to replace Ribalta. He will not be a director of football and those getting excited are misguided.
We've been looking for a sporting director not a DoF. We likely aren't getting a DoF

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We've been looking for a sporting director not a DoF. We likely aren't getting a DoF
A sporting director is practically a director of football, just worded differently. Both handle the long term recruitment for the team.

Mitchell does not do that, he is involved with scouting, not team recruitment.

deafepl

A sporting director is practically a director of football, just worded differently. Both handle the long term recruitment for the team.

Mitchell does not do that, he is involved with scouting, not team recruitment.
It's called chief scouts which we already have one.

Greck

Is it not pretty much the same thing
I thought so at first but sometime around when the DoF news came out, a journalist specifically clarified that it would be a sporting director not a DoF (check the first 5 pages of the thread). The need for clarification led me to believe the scope of the appointee's powers wasn't going to be as expansive as first believed. It really depends on the club. They don't always have the same powers or responsibilities

mu4c_20le

I should have phrased the question better sorry, my bad. Does anybody know which Director of Football he was under at Spurs please?
Believe it was Franco Baldini for a short period and after they got rid of him it was just Mitchell, Poch, and their chief scout.

Eric's Seagull

Does anyone think we should also bring in a proper Director of Football to work alongside Mitchell. As I for one want Woody to stay away from the the football side and not bring this guy in to use as a scapegoat?

So he's not going to be our DOF,Sporting Director or potential chief scout.
What is he going to be ? just some dude?

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just a heads up, that article is 99% gushing over how brilliant Liverpool is, you have been warned.
Like a lot of articles these days, it seems to be trying to stir controversy and either provide ammo for winding people up or directly wind them up. Gets clicks, comments and shares everywhere then.

Chairman Steve

My thoughts on this whole thing is we don’t need just one DoF figure at the club. Utd is a HUGE sports entity and how Sir Alex ran its football operations almost singlehandedly (delegated out responsibilities towards the end like scouting and coaching) is beyond a mystery throughout a series of evolutions in football where managers have come and gone and he remained, especially if Harvard were interested in him when he retired.

One person for a club this size isn’t enough I don’t think. I’d say we need like 2-3 guys to oversee the football operations and not including the first team head coach.

Eric's Seagull

One person for a club this size isn’t enough I don’t think. I’d say we need like 2-3 guys to oversee the football operations and not including the first team head coach.
LVG said it was too big a job for one man. I've been saying what you said for a long tine. I think we should bring in as] many members of staff as needed even if we have to make up job titles for them.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
People like power...
Woodward leaked that shit before the season to feed his ego...
He's not appointing a director of football...

The contract handed to Smalling says it all

Chairman Steve

Luis Campos and Leo Jardim worked very well at Monaco together. I’m a supporter of trying to get them back together at Utd providing they didn’t fall out with each other.

Campos and Mitchell as an initial football operations team, with Jardim as the first team head coach sounds appealing to me. Campos specialty is dictating style of play and general philosophy I believe and Mitchell’s strength is youth prospects, which I think we’d need to put more focus on since the marquee names have been mostly expensive letdowns

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People like power...
Woodward leaked that shit before the season to feed his ego...
He's not appointing a director of football...

The contract handed to Smalling says it all
Yup.

He's an egomaniac with incredible job security.

Why exactly would he hire someone? Especially when he thinks he's doing a bang up job.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

He has previously worked with Mauricio Pochettino at both Southampton and Spurs and is also from Manchester. Responsible for a lot of the great signings that happened at them clubs.
Only speculating, but it's clear to me why we haven't finalised anything yet. Castles says Mourinho only wants to work with Campos.
Think the choice is, fire Mourinho now and Bri v in Mitchell or wait till season finishes.
Would prefer we fire the git now.

Eric's Seagull

Luis Campos and Leo Jardim worked very well at Monaco together. I’m a supporter of trying to get them back together at Utd providing they didn’t fall out with each other.

Campos and Mitchell as an initial football operations team, with Jardim as the first team head coach sounds appealing to me. Campos specialty is dictating style of play and general philosophy I believe and Mitchell’s strength is youth prospects, which I think we’d need to put more focus on since the marquee names have been mostly expensive letdowns
One of my first reads today and set the day up in good day way . Really like both Campos and Jardim . Was hoping of a way of utlising the 3 of them. After I heard Paul Mitchell linked with us and now you've explained a bit my about their individual areas of expertise so to speak and like I was really hoping, I think they may make a good team good team. Please let this happen Woody ;).

Thank you for helping me start the day in a positive way mate :)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thanks for answering question asked on my behalf.
No worries!

I'm pretty sure that's the case .. I certainly don't remember a DoF after Comolli and Baldini.

I think I remember Mitchell having a key role in us signing Alli though, which I guess would be a good sign for you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He didn't work under a director of football at Spurs, we haven't had one of those since Baldini left the club.

Someone else said it but pretty sure it was just him and Poch working together.
There is Rebecca Capplehorn in the middle of it too.

red thru&thru

Hope we get Mitchell. Would be a great start. He has been exposed to some great experiences across England and now Germany. I’ve been saying for a while now that Red Bull has a great set up. A set up we can take a lot from. If we do employ Mitchell, it could be in his existing role or a promotion. Who knows.

Even a DoF has a CEO he has to answer to. People are questioning Ed, well, he’ll certainly be heading in the right direction to redeeming himself with such an appointment. Whether it’s Mitchell or Campos, both would be good. I learn towards Mitchell as he brings back some of the “Britishness” back to our club. Something which I believe we have lacked for a while now.

RedDevilRoshi

Would love to see that happen mate. It’s what we badly need at this club.

Will the Glazers/Ed Woodward sanction this is the major obstacle.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A DOF does not take power from Ed Woodward. Don't know why I am seeing posts saying Ed doesn't want to relinquish power so we aren't going to get a DoF/TD. Like it or not, Ed Woodward does not come up with transfer targets. There is no club without a CEO. Seems some posters lack a basic understanding of what a DoF/technical director is.
At every club, money men make the final decision on how much to invest in a player, even with an incoming DoF, it's not going to be any different.

Cloud7

Normally the stories about us making progress on a DOF come out after a disappointing result. Looks like we’re trying to get ahead of the curve by releasing these stories before the Liverpool match :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.