Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan07

Your point is more incoherent.
Jose asked for a defender and he didnt get one. He said his target was 4 or 5 but only got 2 i think (Dalot, Fred), 3 with Sanchez in winter before.
He was backed with Fred yes, but when he asked defender he didnt get one. Whats the part of didnt get a defender dont accur to you? He was backed and he wasnt. That was the part of half arsed approach i said before. It served United no good.
Then just bought him instead. Adelweireld cost about 60 but we backed off because his age. Just buy Varane if you said he was worthed it. Jose get defender, we get a talented world class young player, isnt that aligned with invested in youth that you said so?
Second bold, too many old players? Mind to list old players who Jose bought apart from Matic and Sanchez?
Well you know: the player has to want to come as well. If Varane had wanted to come to United he would have been here now.

vangagal

Well you know: the player has to want to come as well. If Varane had wanted to come to United he would have been here now.
Just like Di Maria who wasnt want to come then. Great.
Or maybe Woodward just bullshiting people but didnt do anything to get him here.

Kapardin

He is an absolute tool but this is stretching it a bit isn´t?
It really isn't. Looks like the cnut briefed the Guardian that Jose is staying for now.

He really doesn't know what he's doing, does he? Someone needs to organize a mass protest to get this clown out of our club.

kps88

I'm beginning to think he only gave Jose a new contract to prevent him from walking out on us over a lack of transfer activity. Jose would have walked on his own and embarrassed Woody in the press if he had less than a year on his contract left.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's mad how a club of our size, in our present shape, can just be allowed to drift like this. The fans are being treated with contempt.

arthurka

He is keeping the architect of my torment at this club. Mourinho cannot fire himself.
It really isn't. Looks like the cnut briefed the Guardian that Jose is staying for now.

He really doesn't know what he's doing, does he? Someone needs to organize a mass protest to get this clown out of our club.
He is also a money man for the Glazers so in a way he is really doing his job the way the owners want this to be run.
So I fully agree that he is bad for the football matters but he is doing a great job for the owners. Unlike Mourinho who is a train wreck, there in lies the problem.

Oneunited26

Look at Ed Woodward he looks like a complete inept clown, he does have this face you want to punch until it’s no more. People say don’t judge a book by its cover, well I look at Ed Woodward and he is has inept has he looks who’s allowing the team to sink to depths of hell

reddaz71

Surely cant be lost on Woodward that the change made at Southampton recently paid off instantly when they beat Arsenal,but old Ed is like a frozen rabbit in headlights,incompetent,naive and powerless to make a decisive decision for the sake of a few quid!

Posh Red

I'm not saying Woodward refusing to buy Maguire for £70m was wrong, I agree with Woodward on that!

I'm saying once he started to ignore what Mourinho wanted be it signings or selling Martial and Pogba, which is what Mourinho was rumoured to want, then the next step was to realise Jose wasn't the right man for the job.

Woodward clearly lost trust in the summer with Morinho's judgement, he should have sacked him in the summer.
Completely correct. As soon as the proposed swap deal including Martial was suggested the writing should have been on the wall, as that is not the direction this club should be heading in.

gica_7

I'm not saying Woodward refusing to buy Maguire for £70m was wrong, I agree with Woodward on that!

I'm saying once he started to ignore what Mourinho wanted be it signings or selling Martial and Pogba, which is what Mourinho was rumoured to want, then the next step was to realise Jose wasn't the right man for the job.

Woodward clearly lost trust in the summer with Morinho's judgement, he should have sacked him in the summer.
I agree. But right after doing that, he was supposed to find someone to handle football side of the business. Or, simply let the professionals to do their business.

He is as responsible as anyone for the current "culture" of the club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
the fact we can’t sack Jose now because of the stupid payout we’d need to do, is a complete gaff by him. It’s stopping him doing anything. Approving transfers, potential DOF appointments, approving strategic plans for the club, etc. All because he tied his own hands.

Any other job, he would be managed out of his role.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

This, This 1000 times This.

It's insane what we're accepting here.

These people bring literally nothing to our club - the club generates it's own wealth, and they take away from it.

They've invested nothing in the Summer, where do you think that money went...? They're saving off firing Mourinho because it'll cost money (despite the fact it was their ridiculous decision to extend his contract before his 3rd season), where do you think that money's going...?

fecking hell, it's like the years of loyalty toward Fergie have left us as a fanbase in such a confused, sentimental mindset that we'll show subconscious loyalty to the Glazers / Woodward to the point where we just sit and be 'good fans', while they take the club apart bit by bit.

It's crazy. Mourinho should be gone long before now, Woodward shouldn't be turning up to games and sitting comfortably if he is letting this happen to our club.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Mourinho is not going to sack himself.
I can't believe this cnut. What the feck is he waiting for? I'm so mad right now.
Telling you, Woodward knows that this is his last involvement with managerial hires and he can't justify the cost of sacking him. He should be shown a nice cosy office in London where he can work on sponsors till his heart desires after this and let the football people deal with the football matters.

Suedesi

United are to blame. They have created this situation and there is a phrase that rings true. In ‘Bring the Noise’, Raphael Honigstein’s biography of Jurgen Klopp, it is said that Woodward’s sale pitch to the German to become United’s manager was that the club was “like an adult version of Disneyland”.

Beyond not actually making sense it is a description that does not work and chimes with the verdict of another stellar manager who United had previously tried to hire who came away from the discussion to alarmingly conclude: I do not know what they want. He went elsewhere.

What United need now is change. The key to that is hiring a sporting director to create the right culture, from top to bottom. With Mourinho they have tried a manager who has the personality, the track record and the confidence to fast-track that change. It has not worked. They need that re-set more than ever and the hard reality is they need that more than they need Mourinho.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-confusion-around-new-director-football-sums/
Ed's got to go

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Just thinking about it, I really wish SAF would voice his concerns to the media. Even if that means him being ousted from the club, although I doubt that’d happen as there would be an uproar. Think of the PR!

I don’t for one second think he’s happy with what he is seeing, and him speaking out would put more pressure on Woodward and the Glazers.

I know he’s not our manager anymore, but I think he still holds a lot of power which he isn’t using.

Nobody is bigger than the club right? That includes Glazers and Woodward.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The more you read about Woodward the worse it gets. Should have never been the current role, let alone have it for almost 6 years now. We've turned to shit under his leadership, but hey, the sponsor money keeps coming in!

But imagine being a sponsor, I imagine you would be unhappy with the negative press the club is getting and the direction it's heading in. Long-term, the sponsorship money will get lower and lower.

Which makes you question the Glazers and their decision to let Woodward have this much power and freedom at the club. The guy is costing them money with his running of the club. I would demand him to hire DoF if I was the owner.

But maybe all the rumours about them wanting to sell is true and they don't really care at this stage.

el3mel

Just thinking about it, I really wish SAF would voice his concerns to the media. Even if that means him being ousted from the club, although I doubt that’d happen as there would be an uproar.

I don’t for one second think he’s happy with what he is seeing, and him speaking out would put more pressure on Woodward and the Glazers.

I know he’s not our manager anymore, but I think he still holds a lot of power which he isn’t using.

Nobody is bigger than the club right? That includes Glazers and Woodward.
He was defending Moyes and LVG. With all respect to SAF, he's from the old generation that believes in patience and giving time no matter what. That's why I have no problem in businessmen being the owners, as they're usually ruthless and only seek results, unless they're Glazers.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People are being harsh on the payout thing. Man Utd thought they were hiring one of the two best coaches in the world when they hired this fraud. Mourinho wanted parity with Guardiola, who is on roughly the same contract. It would cost City way more than that to get rid of Pep.

red thru&thru

Has anyone worked out what would be the earliest, mathematically that is, that we could not get top 4? We're currently 11 points behind. So that is already, at minimum, 4 game deficit. So if all the teams above us lost their next 4 games and we won, we'd be in top 4. But if the opposite happens, when are we mathematically out of top contention?

ash_86

He is an absolute tool but this is stretching it a bit isn´t?
No it's absolutely right to hate Ed more. Jose could be sacked today and wont have anything to do with our club. What's next? Do you trust Ed to get the next decision right? What about players that our future manager proposes and Ed vetos them too. It's a disaster that Ed has survived 6 years.

el3mel

Has anyone worked out what would be the earliest, mathematically that is, that we could not get top 4? We're currently 11 points behind. So that is already, at minimum, 4 game deficit. So if all the teams above us lost their next 4 games and we won, we'd be in top 4. But if the opposite happens, when are we mathematically out of top contention?
With this rate we won't wait long. By end of March or early April.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
People are being harsh on the payout thing. Man Utd thought they were hiring one of the two best coaches in the world when they hired this fraud. Mourinho wanted parity with Guardiola, who is on roughly the same contract. It would cost City way more than that to get rid of Pep.
Even parity coming out of that season from Chelsea is questionable, but people are more, and rightly confused with £6m difference in payout.
That's nothing for a club of our size and considering the state in which we are atm.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Removing Mourinho's one thing. Another matter, and the one that got me depressed, is knowing there's not one person on that board, capable of making qualified football related decisions. Until that's solved, the club will continue to be in a mess.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Woodward still answers to the Glazers. He won’t fire Mourinho until the Glazers tell him too!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He was defending Moyes and LVG. With all respect to SAF, he's from the old generation that believes in patience and giving time no matter what. That's why I have no problem in businessmen being the owners, as they're usually ruthless and only seek results, unless they're Glazers.
I hear what you're saying, but do you think SAF and SBC are happy with how things are at United?

Do you think they still believe Woodward and Mourinho are the right men for their respective jobs?

I don't.

I get that they probably have something in their contracts which means that as ambassadors, they have to represent the club in a certain way and perhaps can't say certain things, but who cares. In the interest of Manchester United Football Club, they should be speaking out IMO.

No use them sat there shaking their heads and not doing anything else.

I think this 'war' can be won with a proper PR battle. Which ultimately will impact stock price and put more pressure on Woodward and the Glazers.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm aware it won't happen, but it's what I want to happen.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Even parity coming out of that season from Chelsea is questionable, but people are more, and rightly confused with £6m difference in payout.
That's nothing for a club of our size and considering the state in which we are atm.
As Jim Beam says it's not so much the £18m payout that I'm bothered about. More the fact that we are refusing to act due to it costing us £6m more than it would if we wait another 4/5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.