Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPooni

For me Ed has been the one constant in the death spiral that is the post-Fergie era. From his disastrous opening transfer window to the farce we watched play out over the Summer. His weird crypto-galactico policy leaves us constantly chasing players who don't particularly want to play for us while our managers stew wondering whether he's actually going to sign anyone they asked him to. And I say this as someone who used to defend him.

el3mel

I hear what you're saying, but do you think SAF and SBC are happy with how things are at United?

Do you think they still believe Woodward and Mourinho are the right men for their respective jobs?

I don't.

I get that they probably have something in their contracts which means that as ambassadors, they have to represent the club in a certain way and perhaps can't say certain things, but who cares. In the interest of Manchester United Football Club, they should be speaking out IMO.

No use them sat there shaking their heads and not doing anything else.

I think this 'war' can be won with a proper PR battle. Which ultimately will impact stock price and put more pressure on Woodward and the Glazers.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm aware it won't happen, but it's what I want to happen.
I don't think they were ever happy in the last 6 years but as I said SAF always believed in patience and keep giving chances till you're 100% sure it's not working out. If he talked now he'll say what he said when LVG and Moyes were there, that they're good managers and deserve time ..etc. This old generation is mostly all the same because at this time patience usually rewarded you off. Football has changed now though and you need to be ruthless.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I don't think they were ever happy in the last 6 years but as I said SAF always believed in patience and keep giving chances till you're 100% sure it's not working out. If he talked now he'll say what he said when LVG and Moyes were there, that they're good managers and deserve time ..etc. This old generation is mostly all the same because at this time patience usually rewarded you off. Football has changed now though and you need to be ruthless.
What they say to the media and what they actually think, are two separate things IMO.

There's obviously no way to prove it, but I'm convinced that both SAF and SBC have had enough of Woodward, the Glazers and Mourinho.

Like I say, you probably won't hear them complaining to the press about it though as it is not very...becoming or classy. That's my problem.

This is why I want them to speak out about it. They hold so much (external) power and influence which can make an impact.

I also think this is as bad as it has been since SAF retired. 3 failed managers in a row is enough to tell them, and the world, that something isn't working. It's time for a change.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
SAF a Director at the club so I presume he's on the board.
Might be wrong but I remember reading something about SAF and Charlton not being asked about the big decisions or their input not having much weight. That was under Moyes or LVG though, can't see that changing mind.

el3mel

What they say to the media and what they actually think, are two separate things IMO.

There's obviously no way to prove it, but I'm convinced that both SAF and SBC have had enough of Woodward, the Glazers and Mourinho.

Like I say, you probably won't hear them complaining to the press about it though as it is not very...becoming or classy. That's my problem.

This is why I want them to speak out about it. They hold so much (external) power and influence which can make an impact.
Yeah I'm pretty sure they didn't like anything of what we saw in these 6 years. No one can like it actually, but as you said what's said in media is usually different.

Greck

He's not.

Board of Directors-

Avram Glazer
Joel Glazer
Ed Woodward
Richard Arnold
Cliff Baty
Kevin Glazer
Bryan Glazer
Darcie Glazer
Edward Glazer
Robert Leitao
John Hooks
Half of this lot can't even explain the offside rule

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

dave1956

If you look at Woodwards fellow directors, which consists of a 12 member board, and whose business experience cover a wide range of businesses including betting ,telecommunications / media, charities and legal companies.

Of those 12 members the first five being Aviram and Joel Glazier, Woodward, Richard Arnold and Cliff Baty make up the Managing Board which as the name suggests is responsible for running the club and of those 5 only Woodward, Arnold and Baty are resident in the UK.

Silas

sugar_kane

We have at least £200m of talent that is misfiring under this manager (Pogba, Lukaku, Fred) - someone needs to convince Woody that using £24m to potentially unlock that is a sweet deal.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We have at least £200m of talent that is misfiring under this manager (Pogba, Lukaku, Fred) - someone needs to convince Woody that using £24m to potentially unlock that is a sweet deal.
We also have contract issues with Martial and De Gea as well as potential problem with Pogba this summer.

gica_7

I really hope the only reason Jose's still around is because we're still considering options for a replacement and not because we want to save £6m. That's without factoring in the money we'd lose from not being in the CL too.

We are absolutely saving 6 million pounds.

sugar_kane

We also have contract issues with Martial and De Gea as well as potential problem with Pogba this summer.
Indeed, and I expect there will be others at the club strongly considering their futures under this manager. Mata and Herrera have already arguably nearly pissed away the best part of their careers under a succession of terrible managers.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
The club is dead, we are offering contracts to dead wood, it's the beginning of the end.

sugar_kane

The club is dead, we are offering contracts to dead wood, it's the beginning of the end.

To be fair I'd want all three of them in the squad next year to help dig us out of the shit. Not starters by any means but there are far more useless players in the squad.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
To be fair I'd want all three of them in the squad next year to help dig us out of the shit. Not starters by any means but there are far more useless players in the squad.
All 3 are shit, they wouldn't get into the Cardiff squad.

El Presidente

I’m ok with Mata and, especially, Herrera tbh.

As for Young, though. If Mourinho is tired of watching Robertson, imagine how the fans feel watching this board and its decision-making. I am, literally, tired of this club

Raw

Honestly fine with this. I can imagine Mata being a player that an attacking coach would love. Herrera at the very least is a great bench option and when used right he can be vital in big games. Young is fine as long as he's limited to being depth for the fullbacks. Having a player who can play both flanks would help when we have our annual injury crisis.

I'd be more annoyed if we're giving the likes of Valencia, Jones, Darmian and Rojo new contracts.

RedDevil@84

Honestly fine with this. I can imagine Mata being a player that an attacking coach would love. Herrera at the very least is a great bench option and when used right he can be vital in big games. Young is fine as long as he's limited to being depth for the fullbacks. Having a player who can play both flanks would help when we have our annual injury crisis.

I'd be more annoyed if we're giving the likes of Valencia, Jones, Darmian and Rojo new contracts.
Rojo is already on till 2021.

red thru&thru

Saf DEFINITELY hasn’t a voice on the board on footballing matters. That was clearly illustrated by G Nev’s rant last night about the board.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Herrera i can understand as he still has some transfer value but the fact that we aren't in the CL next season should be used to trim the squad down of players like Mata who are never going to be first choice in the future, give a youngster his spot for the Europa league etc.

Greck

6mil is all we're saving? They can't take it our of the money they saved from the summer? Also is the severance sum in addition to the contract settlement? I'd imagine it could add another 5-10m if it is

el3mel

Giving extension to Young is extremely ridiculous. Everything point to that next season is another write off and a struggle for top 4. Next manager will have all these deadwood and surely will ask to evaluate them himself, which will end in another top 4 battle, rinse and repeat.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Same. Don't have any problems with it and there are players who needs to go way before they do.

Alabaster Codify7

They aren't thinking about saving £6million.

They are thinking about not having to pay him AT ALL if he makes top 4 by the skin of his teeth. Believe me, they would prefer him be here next season with a bunch of contract renewals for jobbers (again, way cheaper to renew the veterans who scraped us to top 4 than to go out and actively replace/upgrade on them).

They are happy with mediocrity as long as we scrape top 4. If that was to happen (it won't), Jose will be fired, but they'd prefer to not have to pay him off at all.

red thru&thru

Bobby too, I suspect. So who are the footballing people at that level if not Fergie and Bobby? There aren't any.
Exactly. Like Nev said yesterday, the successful guys from the marketing/money side of the business came over to the football side of things and the rest, well as they say, the rest is history.

Maybe naively, I’m quite sure Ed will start making the correct footballing decisions. Everyone, I mean everyone, can see our problems and know what the solution is.

I genuinely don’t think we’re many years away from being successful again. The club as a whole are in a good place. Grwat marketing, great profits, even a very good youth system. Just the last part needs sorting. Bring in the football men onto the football side of things and watch us flourish again. We’re not quite as doomed as the media l/Jose would like us to believe, however, Ed’s next move has to be the correct one.

I’m sure he has a plan and I’m guessing he can’t quite execute that plan just yet, hence hanging on to Mourinho, for now.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Agreed, all three have seemingly good attitudes as well. While not starters, they're something that a new manager can work with. Far bigger issues within the club than giving these three new contracts.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Bobby too, I suspect. So who are the footballing people at that level if not Fergie and Bobby? There aren't any.
Exactly. That list is the perfect example of why we are where we are. Just lackies and suits.

RooneyLegend

Well you know: the player has to want to come as well. If Varane had wanted to come to United he would have been here now.
The man was willing to part with 100 million quid for a defender and Perez refused.

The crazy thing is Woodward has tried to get him everything he's asked for and like every club he hasn't been able to deliver everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.