Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I can't help wondering what would have happened if LvG had been appointed Director of Football instead of manager. We'd no doubt have had two or three managers sacked under him, but he'd still be here, still buying crap players, and still peddling his negative boring shite. Team not doing well, sack another manager.
Exactly! On paper he’d probably be a good DOF but now we know he’s a total disaster. I don’t trust this club to get this appointment right either. Why would they when they’ve messed up pretty much every important decision post Fergie (apart from backing Jose in the market up to last week, he’s bought in some better players that should prove to be a decent foundation for the next manager)

Shaun Oldman

Wish Sir Alex would be DoF.
I know I'm going to get pelters for this but he should have retired in 2008 and given us five more years as DOF.

He left at the same time as Gill, with a squad that was absolutely on its deathbed. His experience at rebuilding would have been invaluable.

That said, could he have coped with the escalating fees etc? The evidence of the last few years suggests not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smithy89

We need one badly, with have the worst transfer policy and strategy. Scouting system seems awful aswell, never unearth gems anymore.

beingshe7don

If Van der Sar becomes our DoF, I would like him to bring along De Ligt, Neres and Frankie De Jong with him.

PvsNP

If Van der Sar becomes our DoF, I would like him to bring along De Ligt, Neres and Frankie De Jong with him.
De Jong seems to be headed to Barca next year. The other two I can get behind. Won't be cheap though, those days are over.

beingshe7don

Do we know when this will happen or is it just a waiting game?
Knowing how Ed likes to work, I can see us unveiling the new DoF by Christmas even if we decide on someone well before in advance. This may also be the case if we plan on not getting anyone and he needs to appease the fans.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A DoF probably ought not to be saying anything like that at all to the media. He should do his talking directly with his counterparts at other clubs, making strong connections rather than going all Loadsamoney when the journos are around. The one thing you can say about most people in the DoF role is that they're not high profile and I think that's important with whoever we employ in the role.
i think many of us here fails to understand properly what's the main function of a dof if this is the things you expect a dof to do. courting other teams board?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can't help wondering what would have happened if LvG had been appointed Director of Football instead of manager. We'd no doubt have had two or three managers sacked under him, but he'd still be here, still buying crap players, and still peddling his negative boring shite. Team not doing well, sack another manager.
tbf to van gaal many would agree with his first year signing. di maria, bfs, morgan, holland poty depay.

PvsNP

"We didn't want to do that (director of football)," Woodward told me in 2013, soon after taking his current role. "We have a manager who we want to give our full support to make his decisions about the players and the decisions about the academy. [David Moyes] has the same power that [Sir Alex Ferguson] did."
:lol:

Otherwise a typical Mitten article.

Nikelesh Reddy

Both Chelsea and Real have/had DoFs - Emanalo at the former and most recently Zidane at the latter (not sure if he was replaced when he moved into the manager's position, the Real fans on the board would know)
Chelsea have been without a DOF for a while now....And Zidane was doing some of the stuff that a DOF/sporting director does,but he was never formally given that role if I”m not mistaken...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Chelsea have been without a DOF for a while now....And Zidane was doing some of the stuff that a DOF/sporting director does,but he was never formally given that role if I”m not mistaken...
But, it is pretty clear that at Chelsea the manager is not making the transfer decisions.

SparkedIntoLife

It's really hard to know who exactly would make a good DoF at United. I would imagine the following qualities are necessary -

1) Good knowledge of football, especially the transfer market and talented players/coaches
2) Good contacts worldwide
3) Business and financial acumen
4) Possibly can speak several languages
5) Strong knowledge of United and clear vision and strategy of where we are going
6) Tough negotiator
7) Can work well with key stakeholders (agents, players, other clubs, Glazers, Woodward and the manager/coach at that time)
8) Progressive, innovator

Marcel Bouts seems very highly regarded as our Head of Global Scouting. Monchi, deservedly, has a good reputation for his work at Sevilla and now Roma. Would Paratici be as good without Marotta? Berta has done well at Atletico but some of their mainstays predated him and he has signed a fair few duds. Luis Campos is a genius, especially at Monaco, but his spell at Lille hasn't quite started as well by the looks of things. Rui Costa and Ralf Ragnick have done well at Benfica and RB Leipzig respectively. Looking more UK based, Dan Ashworth has his head screwed on. For United, possible contenders might be Gary Neville (if he left Salford), Rio Ferdinand (for his business interests and the fact he's a pundit so still invested in the game) and Van Der Sar (though his role at Ajax has been more on the marketing side, I believe).

Looking at the above qualities, here's a really strange shout - Zlatan Ibrahimovic :) He's probably too self focused to be a DoF but he's tough, speaks multiple languages, has played in a variety of leagues, knows United, has set up his own charity and manages his own brand well and gets on well with Raiola. I'm joking... well, kind of.

SecondFig

We were linked heavily with Monchi when he was still at Sevilla - would be interesting to see if he might move to us now... Otherwise, I could maybe see Neville being OK, a bit more like the Bayern model of having a real former-player spine to the club's running.

The problem is, we've got the Glazers, and Ed, and the Glazers want someone who will maximise commercial opportunities so whoever we get they're going to be working under Woodward

liamp

We were linked heavily with Monchi when he was still at Sevilla - would be interesting to see if he might move to us now... Otherwise, I could maybe see Neville being OK, a bit more like the Bayern model of having a real former-player spine to the club's running.

The problem is, we've got the Glazers, and Ed, and the Glazers want someone who will maximise commercial opportunities so whoever we get they're going to be working under Woodward
Bayern have the luxury of being able to plug in former players as Sporting Directors in a long-standing structure overseen by Rummenigge and Hoeness. Right now, we have no such structure and Woodward...so, it's probably not feasible to follow the Bayern model right now :D. We'll be far better off just hiring the absolute best and most qualified candidate we can without paying much attention to whether or not they've played for the club. Let that person re-build the football operations framework and maybe bring back ex-players as people underneath the new director.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Can we get someone with a blueprint for attacking football and a consistent united style in mind please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grande

Assuming that Gaz is a prime choice for doing the job Monchi excels at, is a bit like assuming Wayne Rooney could replace David Gill.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can we get someone with a blueprint for attacking football and a consistent united style in mind please.
United are not in the market for a technical director as far as I know, which is what you referring to. This new DoF, whoever that may be, will have little to no influence on the tactical side of the game - at least not while Jose remains in charge. His role will be to act as a go-between for the manager and the board, take responsibility for the clubs wage and transfer budget and generally take care of business outside of coaching and tactics. Allowing the manager to become less of a manager and more a first-team coach. I think this would suit Jose down to the ground personally.

SecondFig

Assuming that Gaz is a prime choice for doing the job Monchi excels at, is a bit like assuming Wayne Rooney could replace David Gill.
Well yeah, but we don't have Monchi. I'm not suggesting we replace one with the other - I'm saying that I'd like us to start building a club management that involves formers players (like Bayern). But as liamp said, we don't have the structure in place to really allow that to be successful. We need rid of the Glazers, we need rid of Woodward, and we need rid of Mourinho.

All of which means massive upheaval and another 3-5 years of rebuilding...

IrishRedDevil

It needs to be someone experienced, no point taking a punt on someone just because they are associated with the club. This is a high level position that must be respected by the manager, other directors, potential signings, agents etc. Experience is key.

POF

Well yeah, but we don't have Monchi. I'm not suggesting we replace one with the other - I'm saying that I'd like us to start building a club management that involves formers players (like Bayern). But as liamp said, we don't have the structure in place to really allow that to be successful. We need rid of the Glazers, we need rid of Woodward, and we need rid of Mourinho.

All of which means massive upheaval and another 3-5 years of rebuilding...
Why? For all of Woodward's faults, he has invested a lot of funds in the squad. The problem is that it has been invested poorly with no long term plan.

Hopefully that is what a Director of Football will fix.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

We probably should speak to him...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Long history with Mou doesnt have to be good.
Perfect person to play diplomat between the different factions in the club. Plus his work at Monaco was stellar.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Just saw some tweet about how Monaco bought 41 million worth of players and sold them for cca 310 millions profit. So I thought this guy at Monaco could be good for us. Maybe. Not to sell of course! No idea what his name is. To lazy to look for it.

jmaggio

Given the scattergun recruitment since the supremely successful manager-chief executive axis of Sir Alex and David Gill ended six years ago, the decision to create an extra layer of football expertise is timely. Although Mourinho (or any incumbent) may wonder if authority over transfers will wane, a correct appointment should actually prove a boost. If both manager and director of football (DOF) are on the same page regarding identification of targets, then the case to be presented jointly to Woodward for him to sign off the finance should be bolstered. The plan is for the DOF to be in place once the restructuring of staff and expansion of the AON Training Complex for the women’s team is complete. It could, then, occur in time for the winter window and be of benefit if United remain in the championship race and Mourinho wishes to strengthen for a second-half-of-the-season push.

Status
Not open for further replies.