Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josep Dowling

Exactly. Ed has been buying the players that the managers want. That's the issue. We have to buy a new set of players for each manager.
He was but that clearly stopped this summer. Why? We can only assume he doesn’t trust Jose’s judgement anymore. And if that’s the case why the hell is he still in charge.

bleedred

This has nothing to do with a lack of investment, their team cost far less than ours. Why would we put more money into someone who has already spent a huge amount of money and not shown equal results.
The question is not about lack of investment. The question is about taking the club in the right direction. If it was about investment, the fans would be more angry at Glazers than Woodward.

And why would you bother to keep such person, if you are not confident with Jose. Its as if Woodward challenged Mourinho to prove himself, with the squad he has. What that has done is split the fans on who the blame is. For me, its a simple. Both have to go. Jose for miserably failing with the players he has. and Ed for fecking about with 3 managers and not backing them in transfers,with Moyes and now this summer.

The summer after Fergie left was on its own a sackable offence, areas which needed reinforcements were never addressed and some still remain to this date.

spiriticon

He was but that clearly stopped this summer. Why? We can only assume he doesn’t trust Jose’s judgement anymore. And if that’s the case why the hell is he still in charge.
I genuinely believe that he tried and failed to get players in, rather than not try at all.

Classical Mechanic

I strongly believe that the club need to change its structure that the football side needs to be run by football people but the investment talks are ridiculous. But our problem is simply that our managers are wank not that we didn't spent a billion yet. And the board only has itself to blame since they chose them.
We’re still shaking off the Fergie philosophy where the manager has full autonomy over transfers etc. It just doesn’t work in the modern game with such a high turnover of managers. We need to create a footballing identity and bring coaches in to work with that, like Barca, like Bayern and like...........City.

Moonwalker

I think he's given hostage to fortune with his entire media strategy. He's never gonna have as much of a platform to present his side of the story as the manager, and fans hate the money people no matter what.

Publicising this whole transfer jousting with Mourinho was a huge mistake. This is the kind of stuff that goes on at other clubs all the time (managers not getting all the players they wanted), but they remain coy about it and it never enters the public debate. I can only imagine what kind of shitstorm would come out if one summer fans were told we aren't gonna sign Batistuta and Ronaldo because the board doesn't think they warrant high enough wages.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I genuinely believe that he tried and failed to get players in, rather than not try at all.
I honestly wish he had just said that.

What the press have interpreted the club as saying has pretty much fatally undermined the manager.

Jose’s authority has evaporated.

C'est Moi Cantona

You don’t know exactly how a player is going to integrate into a team until they have settled in.
Every manager makes mistake buys, like Pep and Jurgen.
The difference is, they were given permission to sign expensive replacements until it clicked.
Jose has been told to make do with 2 new 30 million youngsters that are still finding their feet.
Fair point, but from a fans view I was saying how the CB position is one of the few we didn't need a to prioritise a signing in this summer, we just had so many holes elsewhere, and tbf Jose chose to sign two inexperienced defenders, both of which don't seem to progressing as he clearly thought.

If he'd been banging on about our desperation for a FB & RW then I'd have felt sympathy, but not on this.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This is 'spin', I dislike our owners with a passion, but to say this is just wrong.

No point going into the sandy ground they stand on saying this, but if I was them I'd be asking what hell happens to these so called top players as soon as they walk through our door, other than the very few it's just been one bad signing after another, or at least when they play for us anyway..

I just hope somehow they have now decided to stop, and at least try and do things differently, the DoF talking is promising, as is stopping Jose spending yet more money this window.
Then why keep the manager on?

Back him or show him the door.

ti vu

I think he's given hostage to fortune with his entire media strategy. He's never gonna have as much of a platform to present his side of the story as the manager, and fans hate the money people no matter what.

Publicising this whole transfer jousting with Mourinho was a huge mistake. This is the kind of stuff that goes on at other clubs all the time (managers not getting all the players they wanted), but they remain coy about it and it never enters the public debate. I can only imagine what kind of shitstorm would come out if one summer fans were told we aren't gonna sign Batistuta and Ronaldo because the board doesn't think they warrant high enough wages.
Sure managers, head coaches voice their opinions from time to time publicly while the board members being in hard to talk situation. However, two wrong doesn't make one right. Why somebody like Woodward need to brief the press about his thinkain't process which directly undermine the manager's wish?

If Woodward can't no longer put up with Mourinho's antic, just sack him. Why start another fire?

Moonwalker

Sure managers, head coaches voice their opinions from time to time publicly while the board members being in hard to talk situation. However, two wrong doesn't make one right. Why somebody like Woodward need to brief the press about his thinkain't process which directly undermine the manager's wish?

If Woodward can't no longer put up with Mourinho's antic, just sack him. Why start another fire?
I was just bemoaning that myself, was I not?

spiriticon

I honestly wish he had just said that.

What the press have interpreted the club as saying has pretty much fatally undermined the manager.

Jose’s authority has evaporated.
He probably wouldn't have said anything, if only Jose didn't publicly undermined his ability to buy players.

Ed's authority in the transfer market immediately evaporated once Jose ratted him out.

What goes around, comes around you know?

Sometimes it's just better for the manager to say 'There's no value in the market'.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Woodward had a face like a smacked arse at the end of the game. Some peeps are blaming him - others including me - are blaming the dire coaching.

Went into the dressing room - alone - and spent 5 mins with the players. SteveJ wants to know if he asked them if they're still playing for the manager:D

Most are in agreement that Woodward needs to step aside and let someone with football knowledge take over that aspect of things.

Speculation now on if Jose will last till next week, October or whenever.

Speculation on who can take over.

That's about it.
Thank you Jazz, so Ed went into the dressing room without Jose??

C'est Moi Cantona

Then why keep the manager on?

Back him or show him the door.
Well that's to be revealed yet, my guess is they are testing Jose to see if he has the desire, and ability to get us near the top with the more than able squad he already has, and the shear lack of options to replace him just now, I would also imagine if the DoF thing is true then it's important any new manager fits in with him.

ti vu

Fair point, but from a fans view I was saying how the CB position is one of the few we didn't need a to prioritise a signing in this summer, we just had so many holes elsewhere, and tbf Jose chose to sign two inexperienced defenders, both of which don't seem to progressing as he clearly thought.

If he'd been banging on about our desperation for a FB & RW then I'd have felt sympathy, but not on this.
I also don't think we should have been desperate for the CB, but as I pointed out there is another position was being looked at yet not also being filled.

Sack the manager, if the board can't see themselves backing him. Why make a fool out of the situation now every time we have CB problem, it's a big discussion point about the club

clarkydaz

Spurs said last week no bids came in for their player. That's alongside the public statement Jose's targets were too old

What is strange is if that was the criteria, that would/should have been made clear early in the window and not having the manager hoping for hollow targets last week of the window

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He probably wouldn't have said anything, if only Jose didn't publicly undermined his ability to buy players.

Ed's authority in the transfer market immediately evaporated once Jose ratted him out.

What goes around, comes around you know?

Sometimes it's just better for the manager to say 'There's no value in the market'.
Expressing things in the terms you have baffles me.

For a start Jose never gave a reason why the players weren’t signed. So nobody could have said it’s down to Ed being incompetent. In fact most people were saying it was down to the Glazers and had nothing to do with Ed’s ability to sign players.

Also authority in the transfer market? What are you taking about? There’s no such thing. Nobody cares how many stupid things Florentino Pérez has done. If you have money you have authority in the transfer market.

Lastly, whether Ed Woodward is perceived as an ‘operator’ has no impact on the playing performances of Man Utd. The manager having the authority to coach the team certainly does.

What goes around comes around? So you are happy that a perceived slight might have wrecked our manager’s ability to win games? Strange. Personally I am more interested in United picking up points.

ti vu

I was just bemoaning that myself, was I not?
I didn't say you weren't. I connected the dots regarding there is no need for board member to go about public thing. They have power to decide things. Why not exercising their power, but instead involving in mud infight? Woodward action is much worse since it's less common for people in his position of power to do that than a manager/head coach to talk about transfer dealings.

LoneStar

It's about the manager situation, either back him or sack him. Why this game? Because it's not about spending to beat Brighton but the integration of a club. It's not just the managers and players relationship but also the owner and the board with the club and the fan base. Brighton being at lower level yet is contrast to how we're run these days.

Hypotheciallyerynone can agree Mourinho should be gone by now. Why is he still here? See where this led to?!
I agree with this. No point in having a manager like Jose Moirinho if you don't back him up in the transfer market.

But I can see this from Woodward's perspective as well. I mean, both the CBs who started today were bought by Jose. So the blame lies somewhere in the middle.

Anyway post match quotes from Jose look like he's accepted this situation. Honestly, can't see him lasting this season if the players are out to get blood.

starman

Knew this thread was going to be bumped, Bailey and Lindelof are both 70m worth of Mourinho signings.

The blame for this loss is on the players and the manager. There has to be a point where something is done with the players that have brought in and not moan every window about not signing enough

spiriticon

Expressing things in the terms you have baffles me.

For a start Jose never gave a reason why the players weren’t signed. So nobody could have said it’s down to Ed being incompetent. In fact most people were saying it was down to the Glazers and had nothing to do with Ed’s ability to sign players.

Also authority in the transfer market? What are you taking about. There’s no such thing. Nobody cares how many stupid things Florentino Pérez has done. If you have money you have authority in the transfer market.

Lastly, whether Ed Woodward is perceived as an ‘operator’ has no impact on the playing performances of Man Utd. The manager having the authority to coach the team certainly does.

What goes around comes around? So you are happy that a perceived slight might have wrecked our manager’s ability to win games? Strange. Personally I am more interested in United picking up points.
Well, everytime Jose is asked about transfers, he always points to 'Mr Woodward', not the Glazers. It's very clear who Jose sees to be primarily responsible for transfers.

Secondly the authority is all about being in a position of strength in a negotiation. The moment your manager publicly undermines you, it's all over and you pay a ridiculously inflated price whatever comes.

Lastly, no. I'm not happy that the manager and the CEO have decided the best way to sort each other out is to stab each other in the media. But I can't say that I didn't expect a reaction from Ed after Jose's antics.

BlueHaze

a true clown. why keep a manager you have no intention of backing?
You answered your own question. It's because he is an inept clown incapable of making any good decisions footballing wise. The fans and the club is going to suffer another potential Moyes like season because Woodward decided it was a good idea giving Mourinho a contract extension in winter and give him another season despite not being willing to back him in the transfer window. Our lovely club is run by a bunch of fools prioritizing sponsorship deals ahead of success and competing for the big titles like we are supposed to do. We had a chance getting Poch before he signed his extension but that ship has sailed now so the question is if Mourinho gets sacked who the feck is even available to get now?

OldSchoolManc

Knew this thread was going to be bumped, Bailey and Lindelof are both 70m worth of Mourinho signings.

The blame for this loss is on the players and the manager. There has to be a point where something is done with the players that have brought in and not moan every window about not signing enough
VVD was 75 million on his own. Otamendi 30 million, Stones 50 million, Walker 50 million, Mendy 52 million, Laporte 65 million.
Our defence is seriously under funded compared to others.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You answered your own question. It's because he is an inept clown incapable of making any good decisions footballing wise. The fans and the club is going to suffer another potential Moyes like season because Woodward decided it was a good idea giving Mourinho a contract extension in winter and give him another season despite not being willing to back him in the transfer window. Our lovely club is run by a bunch of fools prioritizing sponsorship deals ahead of success and competing for the big titles like we are supposed to do. We had a chance getting Poch before he signed his extension but that ship has sailed now so the question is if Mourinho gets sacked who the feck is even available to get now?
Bigger question is who the feck would want to work under Woodward?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well, everytime Jose is asked about transfers, he always points to 'Mr Woodward', not the Glazers. It's very clear who Jose sees to be primarily responsible for transfers.

Secondly the authority is all about being in a position of strength in a negotiation. The moment your manager publicly undermines you, it's all over and you pay a ridiculously inflated price whatever comes.

Lastly, no. I'm not happy that the manager and the CEO have decided the best way to sort each other out is to stab each other in the media. But I can't say that I didn't expect a reaction from Ed after Jose's antics.
Yep. All of this.

You just don't do what Jose did and expect these corporate types not to retaliate, however unsavoury that may be.

Jose overplayed his hand.

C'est Moi Cantona

I also don't think we should have been desperate for the CB, but as I pointed out there is another position was being looked at yet not also being filled.

Sack the manager, if the board can't see themselves backing him. Why make a fool out of the situation now every time we have CB problem, it's a big discussion point about the club
Yes but due to the late desperation this was clearly the main position he wanted filling.

As we proved with LvG we take our time sacking managers, and tbf Jose has a bit more credit in the bank than he did at this stage, so it'll either be the usual Jose blow out, or if he's stubborn we'll no doubt draw it out, it's really hard to see him turning it around.

starman

VVD was 75 million on his own. Otamendi 30 million, Stones 50 million, Laporte 65 million.
Our defence is seriously under funded compared to others.
Compared to others? a year ago, there were people on here laughing at these players and their prices.
This is what its come to, the solution being we need to go out and spend 70m+ to achieve a clean sheet at Brighton?

ti vu

I agree with this. No point in having a manager like Jose Moirinho if you don't back him up in the transfer market.

But I can see this from Woodward's perspective as well. I mean, both the CBs who started today were bought by Jose. So the blame lies somewhere in the middle.

Anyway post match quotes from Jose look like he's accepted this situation. Honestly, can't see him lasting this season if the players are out to get blood.
Fair points. While I see that everyone agree to compromise, the damage is already done, which I meant Woodward brief to the press. It's worse than anything else between manager and player relationship, since the board is supposed to be at the very top of power yet let thing to be decided by fate from now on. Neither they back the manager (completely trust) nor sack him (have direction to move forward). The club is in the middle of the road with lack of trust in the current manager, yet there is no solution for the matter. A situation even club at lower level wouldn't want to be at.

Dr. StrangeHate

"We are looking at a greater space once our football performance return to the top"

If one can't see how wrong it is with Ed's wording ("no meaningful impact"), then they should as well give up sport. I meant a sport club and sporting performance has no meaningful impact. Any business, no one would turn a blind sight on stuff that clearly bringing loss the company let alone sport club and sporting performance.
Football success is not something he can guarantee. Profits regardless of football success is. What he said is exactly right for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.