Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikelesh Reddy

To be fair, apart from appointing DOF, we've completely restructured administratively. This is a very welcome step though.
It sure is,as long as the manager has the final say in all transfers this surely is a progressive step in the right direction....

Denis79

We cant rebuild every time we change managers, this would be a smart move.

Seveneric

Appoint Fergie?
So, he can become a whipping boy for the Mourinho sychophants when things don't go well? No, thank you.

They already try to drag Fergie into everything Mourinho does to justify it, can't even imagine all the things they could come up with to try to absolve Mourinho of any blame if Fergie took a role at the club. Not going to happen anyways.

shaky

So, he can become a whipping boy for the Mourinho sychophants when things don't go well? No, thank you.

They already try to drag Fergie into everything Mourinho does to justify it, can't even imagine all the things they could come up with to try to absolve Mourinho of any blame if Fergie took a role at the club. Not going to happen anyways.
Lol, you'd actually turn down giving SAF the job just to get one over on the supporters who are refusing to turn on Jose yet? Strange priorities, but unsurprising given the number of "fans" on here who seem like they'd rejoice more in being proved right over Mourinho than in him winning us titles.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is a big step in the right direction from the club. I like the idea of an organised strategy where transfers are concerned, rather than the scattergun approach that the club has recently adopted. This new modernized approach will give is some much needed direction.

The issue is that Jose plays a very particular brand of football that requires a very specific type of player. I'm not overly confident that he will work well under a DoF, or be comfortable with not having 100% control over tranfsers either.

Oscie

It's all very Monday morning quarter-back. I can't remember many, if any, of our signings of recent years being viewed as disappointing or foolish signings contemporaneously.

SirAF

Ageist
This is a big step in the right direction from the club. I like the idea of an organised strategy where transfers are concerned, rather than the scattergun approach that the club has recently adopted. This new modernized approach will give is some much needed direction.

The issue is that Jose plays a very particular brand of football that requires a very specific type of player. I'm not overly confident that he will work well under a DoF, or be comfortable with not having 100% control over tranfsers either.
Mourinho will be 100% in charge of the transfers. See post #108.

Seveneric

Lol, you'd actually turn down giving SAF the job just to get one over on the supporters who are refusing to turn on Jose yet? Strange priorities, but unsurprising given the number of "fans" on here who seem like they'd rejoice more in being proved right over Mourinho than in him winning us titles.
No. I'd turn down giving Fergie the job, so he can enjoy his well deserved retirement without having to potentially see his legacy tarnished by some fans who will be willing to sling shit at him to defend Mourinho when things go wrong. You just know if a signing flops, it'll become the DoF's (Fergie in this scenario) signing, not Mounrinho's.

It really wasn't that hard to understand, Fergie has retired and I'd rather it stayed that way. If you disagree, that's nice.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It's all very Monday morning quarter-back. I can't remember many, if any, of our signings of recent years being viewed as disappointing or foolish signings contemporaneously.
It's more "look at the last few years" imo. I would prefer to not go into a possession style football with next manager and then after he is out to hire Diego Simeone just because he is available. It would be also nice to have a bigger choice between managers as most current ones don't have an experience in working without DoF.

People look at it too narrow-minded. That person is there to protect the club's best interest, but also to make the job easier for the coach and allow him to put his entire focus on the first-team. He won't sign the players who manager doesn't want but make a poll from which a manager can pick. He will listen to the manager and more often than not approve his wish like the case when Pep got Thiago despite Bayern having a shitload of midfielders in their ranks as it's hard to say no to such potential. Ancelotti got James from Madrid also. It's not about who is having a power, but about the division of power and working together.

And if the manager gets the results his position can be stronger over the years as the board will try to ensure his staying, especially if he has a long-term thinking. It's not something that can't be changed and the reason we will miss on another Fergie (not likely to happen either way).

Talking about it at this point is moot since Jose is in charge, but can't understand so much scepticism if we're talking about future.

Womp

idiot
Well Pep wanted Neymar and Bayern got Gotze instead.
Gotze was scintillating at Dortmund and I’m sure every fecking manager would want Neymar, not really realistic for most of them though, is it?

POF

I am all for a Director of Football. The club needs a consistent transfer strategy and cannot go through a full squad rebuild every time they change manager.

After the shambolic transfer dealings under LVG, Jose basically can't get his signings out of the club quickly enough. Trusting LVG with that squad rebuild was an incredible decision and set the club back years.

A DoF would mean more consistency in player contract renewals. It would remove the "Jose will sell Pogba/Martial" nonsense. It would mean that never again would a new manager arrive at the club with an over the hill Rooney and 3 kids as the only forward options at the club (unless the DoF is an incompetent buffoon) at a time when the cost of signing strikers was going through the roof.

But this doesn't sound like a Director of Football role at all so it's a moot point.

cyril C

Stupid question but what does a DoF actually do? And how much power do they have?
The object of discussion was actually Director of Football Operation, in charge of Academy (i.e. Butt's boss) and other operation stuff. I would imagine pitch management, stadium staff kind of non-sales/commercial staff. Because there is another commercial director responsible for revenue.

Most fans here mis-understood the position of Technical Dir, which was what ZZ held, and that Maria Russian held in Chelsea. They are responsible for player acquisition. SO when Conte said he doesn't want to sell any DMF because he needs 4 of them. Maria would say tough luck because the offer is good. So she will get him Drinkwater as replacement. In another instant when Conte wants a striker, Maria would say sorry too expensive we can't afford him, how about this instead. It would be like a Technical Dir bought all the food ingredient for the kitchen and Conte does the cooking only.

Funny part is, Koeman was sacked because of the lousy mis-fit players that he bought. LVG to a certain extent fell under the same sin. But Maria never gets the sack for the sake of continuity.

Jim Beam

The object of discussion was actually Director of Football Operation, in charge of Academy (i.e. Butt's boss) and other operation stuff. I would imagine pitch management, stadium staff kind of non-sales/commercial staff. Because there is another commercial director responsible for revenue.

Most fans here mis-understood the position of Technical Dir, which was what ZZ held, and that Maria Russian held in Chelsea. They are responsible for player acquisition. SO when Conte said he doesn't want to sell any DMF because he needs 4 of them. Maria would say tough luck because the offer is good. So she will get him Drinkwater as replacement. In another instant when Conte wants a striker, Maria would say sorry too expensive we can't afford him, how about this instead. It would be like a Technical Dir bought all the food ingredient for the kitchen and Conte does the cooking only.

Funny part is, Koeman was sacked because of the lousy mis-fit players that he bought. LVG to a certain extent fell under the same sin. But Maria never gets the sack for the sake of continuity.
Sorry, who?

Marcky411

I really hope we get a DOF in the full sense of the word, maybe then we will have a true sense of direction and with a vision worthy of a club like Utd.

cyberman

But we do have a sense of direction, our board have bought into Joses vision so I can't see why they would hire a conflicting voice.
Just because people don't agree with it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Jim Beam

Thought it was her, never heard she's been called Maria Russian, though.

She did only transfer negotiations part but wasn't responsible for picking players at all, that was on Emenalo as technical director and on manager. I think she got a little more power after he left, but that was only a few months ago.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am all for a Director of Football. The club needs a consistent transfer strategy and cannot go through a full squad rebuild every time they change manager.

After the shambolic transfer dealings under LVG, Jose basically can't get his signings out of the club quickly enough. Trusting LVG with that squad rebuild was an incredible decision and set the club back years.

A DoF would mean more consistency in player contract renewals. It would remove the "Jose will sell Pogba/Martial" nonsense. It would mean that never again would a new manager arrive at the club with an over the hill Rooney and 3 kids as the only forward options at the club (unless the DoF is an incompetent buffoon) at a time when the cost of signing strikers was going through the roof.

But this doesn't sound like a Director of Football role at all so it's a moot point.
It still goes both ways. We could be constantly buying shit player the manager dont need. Dof is a human being after all.

Unless you got the likes of beckenbauer or cruiff they're not much better than the manager

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I really hope we get a DOF in the full sense of the word, maybe then we will have a true sense of direction and with a vision worthy of a club like Utd.
It won’t happen until Mourinho leaves imo. Appointing a DOF now woulld look like we were undermining the manager.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It won’t happen until Mourinho leaves imo. Appointing a DOF now woulld look like we were undermining the manager.
Think a DOF would be good with a less experienced manager who is new to the PL. Jose would resent it when he came he and was told he would have control over transfers.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Think a DOF would be good with a less experienced manager who is new to the PL. Jose would resent it when he came he and was told he would have control over transfers.
Exactly. It could easily be seen as the club not believing that the manager is capable of handling all of his responsibilities as well.

R o o K

Gotze was scintillating at Dortmund and I’m sure every fecking manager would want Neymar, not really realistic for most of them though, is it?

Yeah, I wonder how come the Great Pep Guardiola did not improve Gotze and he disappeared into obscurity, yet, everyone is talking about Jose and KDB, Salah et. Double standards.

ghagua

more tumbleweeds gif
Not surprised at all with your response. Your posts only seem to attack other peoples opinion on certain matters. I don't hide my dislike for Mourinho on any of my posts, but you seem to attack anyone who has a different opinion to you. You did the same shite when people posted their opinions on LvG. When you develop some intellect, you'll learn to move on and realize some people have different opinions than you.

ghagua

Is this the case at the perennially successful big clubs who have that setup?
We had 2 golden era's with 2 exceptional managers at the helm, but some of the top clubs in Europe have had consistent success at club level and in Europe with that set up. We need to start thinking about the long term success of the club and plan accordingly. There may never be another Busby or Ferguson to provide that golden era for us again. We may hate it, but Chelsea have a plan and that is why they win despite sacking manager after manager, and City also have a plan for now and the future.

lakim

There will always be someone superior to a manager. A manager will never be in full control of transfers or player logistics in general (contract renewals etc). There will always be someone to veto, no matter if this is owners, the board of directors, ceo's or dof's. Same applies to United and Mourinho.

For what we know, maybe Mourinho prefers someone above who is more football oriented than commercial oriented?

The main thing no matter what the title of the managers superior is, is that the manager and club shares the same belief and pushes in the same direction. If this is not the case, the manager will need to leave at some point. Simple as that.

City also have an DoF, it doesn't seem to stop them buying and selling whomever Pep points at. A DoF doesn't mean that the manager has no say in transfers anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyril C

It still goes both ways. We could be constantly buying shit player the manager dont need. Dof is a human being after all.

Unless you got the likes of beckenbauer or cruiff they're not much better than the manager
Oh yeah. Then you have a bunch of super-directors who can and will criticise the manager and the team without consequences. That's why Pep left BM after only a short spell, and the last one was sacked. This is the last thing that we want, as if Fergi starts talking to the press here and there and only criticise, but never be accountable for any words that he say.

Jim Beam

Oh yeah. Then you have a bunch of super-directors who can and will criticise the manager and the team without consequences. That's why Pep left BM after only a short spell, and the last one was sacked. This is the last thing that we want, as if Fergi starts talking to the press here and there and only criticise, but never be accountable for any words that he say.
Pep was always going to stay 3 years at Bayern. The reason for that was he agreed to join City before as a part of a long-term thinking by them which included setting up Begiristain as DoF. Bayern also saved their season by firing Ancelotti so quick. And all that stuff you posted about Chelsea yesterday were not wrong just because Marina wasn't in charge with the transfers, but because the period (6 years) in which Emanalo was in charge, in terms of trophies, was the most successful period in Chelsea history.

Don't know how you managed to include Fergie in all this. But, go ahead.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Fergie was basically DOF in the latter part of his time at United wasn't he?

I've read a few accounts of how he left the training sessions to the likes of Phelan, Meulensteen and his coaches, and how his players only saw him closer to match days.

Classical Mechanic

Fergie was basically DOF in the latter part of his time at United wasn't he?

I've read a few accounts of how he left the training sessions to the likes of Phelan, Meulensteen and his coaches, and how his players only saw him closer to match days.
He was doing that when Queiroz was here, he even let Queiroz pick the team for a while (we played the worst football under Fergie then).

Social Madworks

If we have intention to get rid of Mourinho, then Emenalo is the choice.

If we want someone who has good relationship with Mourinho, then we should poach Luis Campos from Lille. Campos was brought to Real Madrid by Mourinho. Then he joined Monaco as sporting director. His partnership with Jardim was amazing, he helped the club unearth many young and great players.

Status
Not open for further replies.