Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

And won the CL. Queiroz was hailed for the tactics against Barcelona in the SF.
IIRC when he was picking the team was when we were doing poorly when Rudd was still here. The fans were chanting ‘attack, attack attack’ during games it got so bad. That is my memory, could be wrong admittedly.

SirAF

Ageist
IIRC when he was picking the team was when we were doing poorly when Rudd was still here. The fans were chanting ‘attack, attack attack’ during games it got so bad. That is my memory, could be wrong admittedly.
Could be - I haven’t heard that he actually picked the team though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The job as described sounds very like the one that Cordon did at Villarreal where he got a lot done on a small budget. He did an interview back then explaining that he was responsible for everything in the football structure except the first team squad and its coaching staff who belonged to the first team coach and first team transfers that belonged to the owner, working with the first team coach.

He described his role in transfers as, "I just advise and implement." That underplayed the fact that ultimately the scouts reported to him and he knew the agents - but in terms of relationships, it's a reminder that ultimately it's a balance. The manager says what he needs, the owner says what he can afford, someone helps them do the juggling and negotiating.

Incidentally, Cordon left Villarreal for the DoF job at Monaco. He left them last summer to go to a club in China. Maybe he's ready to come back to Europe - maybe Manchester. No harm in wondering.

MUFC OK

Wondering if we are yet to see the fruits of Javier Ribalta's work behind the scenes, we signed him in June last year meaning that its more likely this summer that his targets will be pursued. Seeing as he supposedly had a say in Juve signing Dybala, Alex Sandro, Coman, Morata, as well as custodians like Dani Alves, Evra, Khedira, in cut price deals; it is exciting to think who he may have lined up for United.

Not sure if this article has been posted from back when he joined.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...-united-on-top-having-helped-rebuild-juventus

deafepl

Wondering if we are yet to see the fruits of Javier Ribalta's work behind the scenes, we signed him in June last year meaning that its more likely this summer that his targets will be pursued. Seeing as he supposedly had a say in Juve signing Dybala, Alex Sandro, Coman, Morata, as well as custodians like Dani Alves, Evra, Khedira, in cut price deals; it is exciting to think who he may have lined up for United.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...-united-on-top-having-helped-rebuild-juventus
As far as I know, we have scouted Nicolò Barella, unknown players but Javier Ribalta seem interested in him as he has emerged as one of the hottest young CM prospects in football over the last couple of seasons. There are Mijat Gacinovic and Umaro Embalo as far as I know that we are interested in them because of Ribalta.

cyril C

Let's put this into perspective. 1. Will Mourinho work well with a Technical Director - don't know.
2. Will the new technical director (if any) able to source good players - million dollar question
3. Will he be able to sign players in cut price deals - NEVER. As soon as anyone walk in with a MU name card, an extra 0 is added.

MUFC OK

Let's put this into perspective. 1. Will Mourinho work well with a Technical Director - don't know.
2. Will the new technical director (if any) able to source good players - million dollar question
3. Will he be able to sign players in cut price deals - NEVER. As soon as anyone walk in with a MU name card, an extra 0 is added.
By this I meant players with contracts expiring, as was the case with Evra, Khedira, Dani Alves at Juve.. Not to mention we literally just signed Sanchez for no transfer fee, which to my mind is still a bargain. This takes a decent knowledge of where players contracts are at, perhaps gauging if they are interested and having a knowledge of contract clauses.

I'm not sure what point the rest of your post is making other than 'we don't know'.

Red_toad

Look, I'm not totally against a DoF structure - but you can't have someone who can overrule Woodward. He's the chief executive of the club and answers only to the Glazer family - that's pretty obvious.
Chief execs usually employ experts and listen to their opinions. DoF should have a major say in purchases for the first team, not exclusive. But they should have far more knowledge than Eddie.

cyril C

By this I meant players with contracts expiring, as was the case with Evra, Khedira, Dani Alves at Juve.. Not to mention we literally just signed Sanchez for no transfer fee, which to my mind is still a bargain. This takes a decent knowledge of where players contracts are at, perhaps gauging if they are interested and having a knowledge of contract clauses.

I'm not sure what point the rest of your post is making other than 'we don't know'.
If the job of a Technical Director is to keep track of players' contract, that is the job of an Administrator. I think what people have been talking about, is a Technical Director who reports directly to Chairman/MD, but not to football Coach, who would see which players may be available in th market and recommend players to the Board, negotiate fee and wage; sell surplus players for the best possible fee, plus the possibility of swapping players. One extreme scenario is a Technical Director may build a team of his own choosing, and give it to Mourinho to make it work. An ideal scenario is the Technical Director will work closely with the Coach and not making too many decision on his own. Are you living in an ideal world?

wolvored

With the extra wages we are paying £600000 a week and if you look at the Pogba wage around £300000 a week we are going to pay him roughly £24.5 million extra over the 3.5 years, so its like we paid that as a transfer fee. Still cheap for someone of his class.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, time to revisit this. Don't know how the squad will shape up over the next month but this post might become relevant. At the moment, it's Mourinho's responsibility. But he has never in his career been responsible for building a squad.
At the moment, still looks like the likes of Rojo, Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Fellaini and co will be going into next season as Man Utd players. Some other average players still look like they will be starters. I'm talking about the likes of Young, Tony and Jesse.
Just over a month to go.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Imo, time to revisit this. Don't know how the squad will shape up over the next month but this post might become relevant. At the moment, it's Mourinho's responsibility. But he has never in his career been responsible for building a squad.
Valencia and Lingard deserve to be in the team IMO.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Have you just put half of your own post into a quote box?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
For another thread, but there are better options out there. They won't get into the teams we are competing with.
Well of course there is, there always is.

Is that the same Young who is a regular in the England set up while the likes of Trent Alexander Arnold, Rose and Delph arent?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It surely makes sense to have a top scout do this role.

Maybe earmarked for Ribalta?
I swear there was something said by Castles recently that Ribalta already has quite a big influence on our signings.

Adisa

Well of course there is, there always is.

Is that the same Young who is a regular in the England set up while the likes of Trent Alexander Arnold, Rose and Delph arent?
I'm not lumping Young and Lingard with the others. I'm saying we've spent the last two years saying we need improvements on them. I would be daft calling for them to leave.
They're are two players we haven't bought anyone for their position since Mourinho has arrived.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not lumping Young and Lingard with the others. I'm saying we've spent the last two years saying we need improvements on them. I would be daft calling for them to leave.
Well they clearly would get into the teams we we competing with, that’s the point.

Kostov

Valencia and Lingard deserve to be in the team IMO.
Lingard has had 2 goals and 2 assists in 16 appearances in the PL since the turn of the year. One of those goals came on New Year's day against Everton, I don't know how that deserves anything. But if he does start the new season as a starter on some merit, let's hope he improves on that, otherwise we aren't winning the PL with that productivity in a position he plays.

Bojan11

Strange moaning when we have done the most business out of all our rivals so far.

Imagine being a Chelsea fan and the managerial situation hasn’t been sorted.

Fellaini staying is on Jose. Like I said previously if Jose lines up with Young and Valencia then it will be all on him if we struggle.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Strange moaning when we have done the most business out of all our rivals so far.

Fellaini staying is on Jose. Like I said previously if Jose lines up with Young and Valencia then it will be all on him if we struggle.
Not having to mess about trying to find a Fellaini replacement is probably a weight of JM's shoulders anyway.

Adisa

The essence of my post was that Mourinho has never been responsible for building a squad. I agree that after his fifth window, the squad is his but why are we asking him to do something he's not done before? We keep hearing that Mourinho thinks some of his team his gash, so why does it seem we are still persisting with them?
Anyway, the window still has just over a month to run. We will see where we are then.

Berbaclass

Lingard has had 2 goals and 2 assists in 16 appearances in the PL since the turn of the year. One of those goals came on New Year's day against Everton, I don't know how that deserves anything. But if he does start the new season as a starter on some merit, let's hope he improves on that, otherwise we aren't winning the PL with that productivity in a position he plays.
Which of our players in his position have better numbers though?

Fridge chutney

This bump and moan is a bit premature. Just enjoy the world cup and have faith in the club.

Kostov

Which of our players in his position have better numbers though?
I'm not sure with whom we can compare the numbers. According to many he is best used as a number 10 and I agree, also the majority of his games came in that role in 2018. In reality he has been competing with Mata probably, considering how poor Mata has been it's not something to be used for defending him.

Berbaclass

I'm not sure with whom we can compare the numbers. According to many he is best used as a number 10 and I agree, also the majority of his games came in that role in 2018. In reality he has been competing with Mata probably, considering how poor Mata has been it's not something to be used for defending him.
It is if he’s currently our best option in his position available and therefore deserves to start.

Kostov

It is if he’s currently our best option in his position available and therefore deserves to start.
If he is our best option in that position which you are probably right, then we better play without a number 10, meaning a classic 433 is best suited to that squad. A number 10 that produces 2 goals and 2 assists in half a PL season should not be a starter for a team with title winning aspirations. Unless he improves of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.