Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He never played Di Maria on the wing.

When he was first signed he played him as a midfielder in diamond. He later on even played him as a striker. when he went on and played a formation that needs wingers as 4-1-4-1 he preferred Young on him on the wing position.

BTW if Woodward was following managers' requests blindly we would have been at a better position, because they understand football more than him.

Ed : Forgot to say, Di Maria wasn't even a winger for Madrid at this time.
So are you saying that's not Van Gaal's interview or Van Gaal didn't want Di Maria?

How does it matter if Di Maria played as winger or not in his last season when all his career he played as winger and Van Gaal wanted him to move on from 3 at the back formation?

This is just clutching now.

Funny how the players we signed are somehow linked with our managers. Signing Depay, Blind who played under Van Gaal, or players like Lukaku, Matic, Zlatan who played under Jose, Fellaini who played under Moyes. Yeah, Woodward didn't follow manager's requests. He just randomly signed manager's ex players.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He never played Di Maria on the wing.

When he was first signed he played him as a midfielder in diamond. He later on even played him as a striker. when he went on and played a formation that needs wingers as 4-1-4-1 he preferred Young on him on the wing position.

BTW if Woodward was following managers' requests blindly we would have been at a better position, because they understand football more than him.

Ed : Forgot to say, Di Maria wasn't even a winger for Madrid at this time.
But that was on LVG not Ed. If Ed thinks he's signing Di Maria as a winger then Van Gaal plays him in midfield, you can't really blame Woodward.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At the moment, the club is as clueless as Ed Woodward and that tells you something.
a. He agreed on Sanchez's ridiculous wage, He's a finance guy and you'd think He'd understand how risky the deal was
b. He extended Jose's contract
c. He decided not to back Jose fully despite of b)

It's easy to blame him I know. But those three things above are ridiculous, almost amateurish when you think He's the CEO of Manchester fecking United. I don't expect him to fully understand how football works but point b and c are so basic. If you start questioning a manager's performance then don't extend his contract, delay your decision until you're sure about it or when there are enough reasons.

Now We're stuck with a manager that's still not performing as expected, players that are still not performing as expected, Sanchez's huge salary and questions among supporters & maybe the next potential managers? about how the club is limiting transfer budgets and won't back up their managers fully anymore. This galactico bullshit needs to stop. You want to stop top players from going to Spain? how about a clear direction for the club first? you know, the most important thing for a football club.
Make no mistake, I think Woodward has made many many mistakes.
The moment Ed found himself doubting and second guessing Mourinho, he should have sacked him.
The fact that Mourinho staying or going will be a financial decision is also an indictment of Woodward .

Last edited:

el3mel

So are you saying that's not Van Gaal's interview or Van Gaal didn't want Di Maria?

How does it matter if Di Maria played as winger or not in his last season when all his career he played as winger and Van Gaal wanted him to move on from 3 at the back formation?

This is just clutching now.
It means that LVG didn't even scout him to say it was his target or not.

Di Maria was always an inconsistent and frustrating winger on the width, never was labelled as a top winger. His best ever season came when he was shifted to number 8 in 4-3-3 under Carlo the season prior to us buying him.

So saying he's a top winger when his best season came as a midfielder, then signing him to play him everywhere except the wing at the end. Convince me that's actually a manager scouting players he want ?

"Clutching" :lol: few minutes ago you also complained about this thread getting bumped after losing points, and not early you also complained about me saying Lukaku isn't an elite. Sorry but do you want us to just slaughter the manager available and pretend everyone in the club is great or what ? If you're complaining about this thread getting bumped after every loss of a point, why didn't you do the same in the Mourinho out thread ?

roonster09

Scout
It means that LVG didn't even scout him to say it was his target or not.

Di Maria was always an inconsistent and frustrating winger on the width, never was labelled as a top winger. His best ever season came when he was shifted to number 8 in 4-3-3 under Carlo the season prior to us buying him.

So saying he's a top winger when his best season came as a midfielder, then signing him to play him everywhere except the wing at the end. Convince me that's actually a manager scouting players he want ?

"Clutching" :lol: few minutes ago you also complained about this thread getting bumped after losing points, and not early you also complained about me saying Lukaku isn't an elite. Sorry but do you want us to just slaughter the manager available and pretend everyone in the club is great or what ? If you're complaining about this thread getting bumped after every loss of a point, why didn't you do the same in the Mourinho out thread ?
:lol: You think Woodward will see Van Gaal's scouting report before he signs a player? He even name checked the player to play on wings but somehow Van Gaal didn't want the player. This is even worse than Duncan.

One more made up post, I never said Lukaku is elite striker or argued with you, I asked you why are you arguing Lukaku isn't elite striker when no one is saying he is elite. Not really hard but then it is for few.

So somehow this turned into Mourinho out? Jose boys :lol: Saying Van Gaal wanted Di Maria = Jose out.

Edit: one more myth that Di Maria wasn't a winger in his final year at Madrid.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/angel-di-maria/leistungsdaten/spieler/45320/plus/0?saison=2013

Last edited:

ash_86

When the team performs bad the manager is responsible. When the manager is doing his job poorly or not upto expectation then the one who hired him is responsible. There is no two ways of looking at this.

el3mel

:lol: You think Woodward will see Van Gaal's scouting report before he signs a player? He even name checked the player to play on wings but somehow Van Gaal didn't want the player. This is even worse than Duncan.

One more made up post, I never said Lukaku is elite striker or argued with you, I asked you why are you arguing Lukaku isn't elite striker when no one is saying he is elite. Not really hard but then it is for few.

So somehow this turned into Mourinho out? Jose boys :lol:
Or precisely, LVG knows that we're in negotiation with Di Maria earlier and he name dropped him based on this, because nothing in what he said or did proves he even scouted or knew anything about his best position.

Who talked about Mourinho out ? I'm saying either be consistent or stop blaming people for pushing their opinions. What's the problem of bumping this thread up after a poor result ? If you're so annoyed about threads getting bumped after poor result why you didn't do the same in the Mourinho out thread or any other thread ? Just because some posters are repeating things you don't like or don't agree you're entitled to complain about it. I didn't go to Mourinho out thread and told them that they bump the thread after a loss. Be consistent or don't complain.

You're free to bury your head in the sand regarding our structure as our club. It's fairly logical and reasonable after 6 years and 3 managers with the same dross served to start looking at the bigger picture and what's wrong with the club. Even managerial appointments if you don't like it is part of Ed's problems here. LVG was a panic appointment after Moyes failure, and Mourinho was a complete panic appointment based on him available on the market.

What would Ed have done if Mourinho didn't fall with Chelsea board and be sacked while LVG was having his crisis here ? Can you tell us which manager would he have got post LVG or would he have let him keep managing the club ? Would he have given Giggs the job then ?

There's a complete lack of structure and planning in the football side of the club starting from managerial appointments ending with the transfer policy. After same shite served under several managers, we need to start looking at the bigger picture instead of convincing ourselves that's everything is fine.

roonster09

Scout
Or precisely, LVG knows that we're in negotiation with Di Maria earlier and he name dropped him based on this, because nothing in what he said or did proves he even scouted or knew anything about his best position.

Who talked about Mourinho out ? I'm saying either be consistent or stop blaming people for pushing their opinions. What's the problem of bumping this thread up after a poor result ? If you're so annoyed about threads getting bumped after poor result why you didn't do the same in the Mourinho out thread or any other thread ? Just because some posters are repeating things you don't like or don't agree you're entitled to complain about it. I didn't go to Mourinho out thread and told them that they bump the thread after a loss. Be consistent or don't complain.

You're free to bury your head in the sand regarding our structure as our club. It's fairly logical and reasonable after 6 years and 3 managers with the same dross served to start looking at the bigger picture and what's wrong with the club. Even managerial appointments if you don't like it is part of Ed's problems here. LVG was a panic appointment after Moyes failure, and Mourinho was a complete panic appointment based on him available on the market.

What would Ed have done if Mourinho didn't fall with Chelsea board and be sacked while LVG was having his crisis here ? Can you tell us which manager would he have got post LVG or would he have let him keep managing the club ? Would he have given Giggs the job then ?

There's a complete lack of structure and planning in the football side of the club starting from managerial appointments ending with the transfer policy. After same shite served under several managers, we need to start looking at the bigger picture instead of convincing ourselves that's everything is fine.
Just like in Lukaku thread, you are arguing imaginary points. Well done.

No one said ManUtd structure is good or we don't need DoF. That doesn't mean we have to rewrite history and make up stories that even Duncan Castles would be embarrassed to tweet.

Somehow saying Van Gaal wanted Di Maria = being happy with the structure at the club :lol: At least know what you are posting, just because you wasted so many words doesn't mean it made any sense.

Well, it's always funny when Jose fan boys rush to this thread when we drop points.

Edit: Very happy with structure at the club.
I think problem is giving too much power to managers. We are still a old school club where we have managers, whereas some of the best clubs have first team coaches.
We changed almost all 11 for Van Gaal who again needed time as we had so many new players and they had to settle. Then when it didn't work, we changed almost all 11 for Jose style.
There is nothing similar in Van Gaal and Jose's style. We need to change the structure by hiring good DoF or someone close to that role, who has clear vision. If you hire Van Gaal for 2 years and it didnt work, at least have some continuity and hire someone who shares some common principles.
Hopefully we approach DoF first and then hire manager who shares his vision or the direction DoF wants us to move in.

Last edited:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
A player being sold for profit is dependent on a player increasing his value while being at the club.
To be fair that's part of the equation, definitely important and you can't blame him for that. But buying and selling in a clever way is also important. Other than City with unlimited money every other club has done this in order to generate funds.

It's his sixth season doing our transfer business and when you make up the balance it really does look like he's not been able to make a profit on any of the players he has brought in:

Under Moyes he brought in Fellaini and Mata

Van Gaal: brought in Di Maria, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Valdes.
Second year it's Martial, Scheiderlin, Romero, Memphis, Darmian, Schweinsteiger

Sold Di Maria with a 16 million pound loss

Under Mourinho it was Pogba, Zlatan, Mkhi, Bailly

Sold Memphis with a loss, Lyon paid 16 million euro, Morgan Schneiderlin with a 12.5 million euro loss, Schweinsteiger was let go on a free with 9 million paid for him the year before, Valdes left.

Second year Mourinho it was Lukaku, Lindelof, Alexis, Matic
Sold no one but traded Henrikh for Alexis

Third year Mourinho we've only had Fred, Dalot, and of course Sam Johnstone?
Sold Daley Blind back to Ajax finally breaking even on a player for once.

That's obviously ignoring yransfers of homegrown players like Paddy McNair for 5 million, and ignoring players from the previous era like RVP and Nani to Fenerbahce for 6-8 million each or Kagawa to Dortmund or Rafael to Lyon for 3.2 million. Or Welbeck to l'arsenal for 20 million, Chicharito for 12 million euro to Leverkusen.

Looks pretty grim, more so because we're never getting the money back from selling players like Mata, Darmian, Fellaini, Rojo. The mess we're in is not just his fault though, and some players like Pogba, Lukaku, Shaw could be worth quite a lot of money.

el3mel

Just like in Lukaku thread, you are arguing imaginary points. Well done.

No one said ManUtd structure is good or we don't need DoF. That doesn't mean we have to rewrite history and make up stories that even Duncan Castles would be embarrassed to tweet.

Somehow saying Van Gaal wanted Di Maria = being happy with the structure at the club :lol: At least know what you are posting, just because you wasted so many words doesn't mean it made any sense.

Well, it's always funny when Jose fan boys rush to this thread when we drop points.
"Rewrite history" :lol::lol:

roonster09

Scout
Sure, if you have been having your head in the sand for the past 5 years, which is I think what happened.
Sure saying Van Gaal wanted Di Maria, we need to appoint DoF is keeping head in the sand :lol:

Better than keeping it in Jose's arse I guess.

Maybe shouldn't say that though, Duncan Castles wouldn't be happy.

el3mel

Sure saying Van Gaal wanted Di Maria, we need to appoint DoF is keeping head in the sand :lol:

Better than keeping it in Jose's arse I guess.

Maybe shouldn't say that though, Duncan Castles wouldn't be happy.
If that will make you happy and feeling victorious, then I have no problem. Enjoy.

Minimalist

Ah well. Great news...
one of the reasons why we hired Jose Mourinho' was commitment to winning trophies

Well then Mourinho is definitely getting the boot this season. Because he ain't winning shit this time.

JoaquinJoaquin

Is there any context to this? Hard to analyse what he's saying (or what he's responding to).
It's the investor call Woodward is on at the moment. Actually has made me angry when I have read these comments. Just shows we are a 'franchise' now rather than the football club we all fell in love with.

Minimalist

It's the investor call Woodward is on at the moment. Actually has made me angry when I have read these comments. Just shows we are a 'franchise' now rather than the football club we all fell in love with.
But you have to do a comparison before bemoaning this individual situation.

Are other clubs (top clubs) like this too? If so, why wouldn't the higher ups be like this?

JoaquinJoaquin

But you have to do a comparison before bemoaning this individual situation.

Are other clubs (top clubs) like this too? If so, why wouldn't the higher ups be like this?
Well other top clubs aren't the mess that we are right now. Also alot of other teams don't have investor calls like this so it's hard to gauge a comparison. We can only go by how we are performing on the pitch (rubbish), and what we are performing like off it. The second one seems the most important to the club nowadays.

JoaquinJoaquin

The way those tweets are sequenced by Luckhurst is pure trolling. No doubt he’s caused all the hysteria on twitter he hoped for. Let’s not go down that path on here too.
O yeah there is no doubt he is spinning it slightly with his words, But the investor call was open so the quotes are real. Simon Stone (who was also on the call) has posted similar.

Minimalist

Well other top clubs aren't the mess that we are right now. Also alot of other teams don't have investor calls like this so it's hard to gauge a comparison. We can only go by how we are performing on the pitch (rubbish), and what we are performing like off it. The second one seems the most important to the club nowadays.
That's irrelevant though. This is about the football club as a business - and we're not the only club run like this.

Personally I think it's a bit silly to get worked up over stuff like this - I don't even know why people care what's being discussed in these calls. This is for investors and what not - not football supporters.

Kapardin

Nothing wrong in Woodward saying he hired Jose to win trophies. Yeah, we don't doubt that was what he was hired for. Apart from 2 lesser cups, didn't really work out.

The Facebook Followers comment by Arnold isn't going to go down well on Twitter though. Strained nerves and all that.

Josep Dowling

Since when did twitter and facebook followers define how big a club is?

Winning on the pitch is all that should matter for a club of United's size. They need a new board to understand this otherwise we will be the next Liverpool.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A blotch on his record somewhat, despite the two trophies
He could have won a trophy last season but we messed up. We are back to them thinking Top 4 is some sort of achievement. Yes they want to be there, but we should be there at the very least.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Winning on the pitch is all that should matter for a club of United's size. They need a new board to understand this otherwise we will be the next Liverpool.
You could get some no note footballer with the most twitter/facebook followers. Does that make him the best footballer in the world?

Yagami

Good post resistant

Well, I personally measure how big a club is due to how many fans they have. That's why I have United down as the biggest like mentioned above; not the most successful, though.

Greck

Safe to say at a commercial purpose gathering like an investor call, commercial matters and benchmarks are going to come up. Expect Luckhurst to harp on about this till January

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.